AVS Forum banner

6861 - 6880 of 8147 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
I didn't have any updates available on my set
Has your set sniffed out the update yet?

Mine kept prompting me so I finally gave in. Hopefully it fixes the volume response issue.
Well, so far so good. And at least on my set, the volume bar thing definitely has improved. Much more responsive, the bar pops up quickly now, and it seems to keep pace with the volume button presses. Everything else thus far seems stable. Could be a step in the right direction, at least Sony hasn't totally abandoned this set perhaps.

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
When we will see this set get dolby vision, that would be a step in the right direction.
I don't think this is going to happen for this set. I could be wrong.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Still no update here. I know some people have installed it via USB but I always prefer to wait for OTA myself.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
Still no update here. I know some people have installed it via USB but I always prefer to wait for OTA myself.
Huh, that's weird. I've only ever done updates over the wireless network, mine found the update by itself. Maybe a chipset or date of manufacture thing?

·
Registered
639 Posts

Well, so far so good. And at least on my set, the volume bar thing definitely has improved. Much more responsive, the bar pops up quickly now, and it seems to keep pace with the volume button presses. Everything else thus far seems stable. Could be a step in the right direction, at least Sony hasn't totally abandoned this set perhaps.
Agree Jonas; After the 137NAB download via USB, my 930D more stable than ever, & the best news no change to PQ or settings. BTW, hope not my imagination, but HDR Netflix really seems improved!

·
Registered
77 Posts
For those of you who still think that Android is the big problem of those sets... it just isn't... it is the weak MediaTek SoC and crappy MediaTek drivers which make things slow and break. And Sony's software and services just don't do any good either. With Nougat, they are adding even more bloatware (Samba TV, Asphalt Nitro) instead of cleaning up the system. On the other hand, they abandon the most useful features like the TV guide functionality inside the SideView app. Sony is really trying hard to piss customers off.

Also the way Sony lied about the HW inside the early 2016 models is a major crime.

If you want to know more, read my in-depth review.

Sony is about to launch a new category of sets for the U.S. with no tuners and no Android. That's probably the way to go for them. Their whole Android TV lineup with MediaTek SoC inside is just total crap with respect to tuner integration and Smart TV capabilities which is why they totally fail in Europe and why communities there are full of upset people.

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
For those of you who still think that Android is the big problem of those sets... it just isn't... it is the weak MediaTek SoC and crappy MediaTek drivers which make things slow and break. And Sony's software and services just don't do any good either. With Nougat, they are adding even more bloatware (Samba TV, Asphalt Nitro) instead of cleaning up the system. On the other hand, they abandon the most useful features like the TV guide functionality inside the SideView app. Sony is really trying hard to piss customers off.

Also the way Sony lied about the HW inside the early 2016 models is a major crime.

Sony is about to launch a new category of sets for the U.S. with no tuners and no Android. That's probably the way to go for them. Their whole Android TV lineup with MediaTek SoC inside is just total crap with respect to tuner integration and Smart TV capabilities which is why they totally fail in Europe and why communities there are full of upset people.
Very interesting and thought-provoking review. Thanks for posting the link.

Reactions: Jonas2

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
Agree Jonas; After the 137NAB download via USB, my 930D more stable than ever, & the best news no change to PQ or settings. BTW, hope not my imagination, but HDR Netflix really seems improved!
Unfortunately, I have to report that I still got a frame-freeze problem with Youtube as well as a Netflix complete failure just yesterday. :( Had to unplug and replug the TV to get Netflix to work again. Don't know about that frame freeze issue with Youtube. But the volume bar is still working quite well, looks like that may have been actually fixed. Baby steps, Sony, baby steps. :eek:

Thanks Daniel, I just combed it briefly, when I have more time I will go back and go more thoroughly through your review, but it looks very good. Heck, I'd even be willing to overlook most of these problems had my set not developed a serious banding issue just before warranty expired (that Sony will not take care of), but given that experience, it's just all salt in the wound at this point!

However, that is encouraging that Sony intends to introduce an Android-free line of sets. That's what I want, just a TV, I don't need a damn sorry attempt at a smart-phone/computer sitting on my media cabinet.

Sure seems like there is a lot of potential for a class action lawsuit against Sony.

·
Registered
639 Posts
^^Sorry to hear that Jonas. Fingers crossed, but NO frame-freeze issues w/Netflix or YouTube so far!

·
Registered
78 Posts
YEP!!! My set does the exact same thing with YouTube and volume control. Freezes frames just like yours. Utter POS. At least Netflix isn't doing it to me......yet.....

I think I just might go with a Roku or something like that for my streaming needs since this thing is more frustrating than not in this regard.

Do NOT hold your breath for Sony to do anything for this set at this point. :(
Have you guys tried to delete the data cache

I have a 900E and my tv was doing the same thing. Cleared the cache and all the lags were fixed

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
^^Sorry to hear that Jonas. Fingers crossed, but NO frame-freeze issues w/Netflix or YouTube so far!
Good to hear!! :)

Have you guys tried to delete the data cache

I have a 900E and my tv was doing the same thing. Cleared the cache and all the lags were fixed
I have not since the most recent update, I will certainly do that - though having done this in the past, it never solved any of my problems, at least not permanently. Still, worth a shot!

·
Registered
467 Posts

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

I know you guys are anxious to get the update but please note that standard operation is to do phased releases that will take two weeks to roll-out to all in a given region. Not all regions get the update at the same time as the SW is unique for each region.

If you gotta have it, the USB update from esupport is available.:)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Good job Sony! This update has really improved the responsiveness of Netflix, Amazon, and YouTube. I think Sony may have gotten this update to really improve things for our OS. Everything is flawless now on my display.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Update PKG3.885.0137NAB is a real improvement over the the April update. The X930D is almost back to where the TV was in Feb 2017 when I bought the set. However, the channel up / down button is still screwed. I have to press the botton 4 - 8 times to to get it to move from one channel to the next.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Update PKG3.885.0137NAB is a real improvement over the the April update. The X930D is almost back to where the TV was in Feb 2017 when I bought the set. However, the channel up / down button is still screwed. I have to press the botton 4 - 8 times to to get it to move from one channel to the next.
Have you tried changing the batteries?

6861 - 6880 of 8147 Posts