AVS Forum banner

7381 - 7400 of 8149 Posts

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Anyone hook up a sound bar to this tv? I finally got around to connecting a Sony 2.1 soundbar to it via arc hdmi, which of course sounds way better. Three things that irritate me when sound is pushed to the external speakers.

#1 The volume numbers are doubled in sets of twos on the tv. So for example when i turn the volume up a bit the tv will display 20 and the sound bar will be at 10. Or if the tv displays 60 the sound bar is at 30. Anyway to sync this or is this normal?
#2 When on the android tv home screen navigating around, the "ding" system sound is no longer heard over sound bar. This is the only sound I cant hear unless i turn the sound bar off which then switches to tv speakers it works. I have systems sounds turned to on in settings. Weird because its only the home screen, everything else works. Anyone else have this problem?
#3 1 - 2 sec delay for sound to start when changing channels. When using tv speakers no real noticeable delay. Is this normal for a sound bar connected via high speed hdmi to arc port?
That sound pretty much like what happens with mine. Not a big deal for me.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
My TV Sony XBR 55x930d latly stopped "sync" with Sony 4k UHD DVD and PS3. Everything has to be switched manually between each HDMI input. Sony customer service is completely useless in this case. I suspect but I'm not 100% sure it happened after last update. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
My TV Sony XBR 55x930d latly stopped "sync" with Sony 4k UHD DVD and PS3. Everything has to be switched manually between each HDMI input. Sony customer service is completely useless in this case. I suspect but I'm not 100% sure it happened after last update. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
My TV recognizes HDMI CEC commands, but if I try to turn my TV on by turning on a device first, I'll get a blank screen until I switch to another HDMI port and then manually switch back. This started happening with Marshmallow I believe. Sometimes I even have to manually restart the TV before I get picture on the port I want.

If I turn the TV on first, and then switch on the device after waiting for the previous HDMI input to display first (my TV STB which doesn't use CEC) then everything usually works fine.

·
Registered
61 Posts
HDR Issue

It does

I appreciate the reply, thanks. I'm having one other issue maybe you can help with. I just purchased my first 4k player , the lg up970. I watched the John Wick uhd disc the other day and I wasn't all that blown away by the picture. I know the movie supports hdr and while the tv switches over to the hdr mode, I didn't really see much in the way of hdr effects. I don't have a lot of experience with hdr content, but what I have seen through Netflix, the 930d is capable of some really vivid colors and crazy bright highlights that I didn't see with John Wick. Do you think maybe there is an issue with my 4k player? or perhaps the movie is not the best example of hdr? thanks again.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
I appreciate the reply, thanks. I'm having one other issue maybe you can help with. I just purchased my first 4k player , the lg up970. I watched the John Wick uhd disc the other day and I wasn't all that blown away by the picture. I know the movie supports hdr and while the tv switches over to the hdr mode, I didn't really see much in the way of hdr effects. I don't have a lot of experience with hdr content, but what I have seen through Netflix, the 930d is capable of some really vivid colors and crazy bright highlights that I didn't see with John Wick. Do you think maybe there is an issue with my 4k player? or perhaps the movie is not the best example of hdr? thanks again.
The first John Wick didn't impress me at all. The second one was much better HDR imo.

That being said, my favorites for HDR on 4K Blu-ray are The Shallows, X-men Apocalypse and Guardians of the Galaxy 2

On Netflix, the Marvel shows and Girlboss

On Amazon, the Grand Tour and The Tick

·
Registered
12 Posts
First off - make sure you are fully updated to latest firmware version.

1) Slight bending - Yes, a common, well-known issue.
2) Which AVSForum recommended settings? There are several...
3) Yes, Ihave similar banding in the same locations, left side is overly prominent (light backgrounds, especially, but less noticeable in UHD content)
4) Does not sound normal
5) Increase local dimming to medium or high (noticed this on mine at first with black backgrounds, and raising local dimming seemed to fix it for the most part. Why? Dunno...)
6) Not sure I understand this
7) Kill the apps if not needed.
8) It ain't great, but I don't honestly find it terrible for what it is, but no - it will not be like your other one.
9 - 10) Fresh batteries and definitely make sure you are on the latest firmware - remote responsiveness has improved over time, but yeah - it ain't the zippiest remote / TV combo on the planet.
Thank you for the responses. After spending two weeks playing with every setting the picture is okay. Now I mentioned panning and two vertical lines with large areas of colour variation which is called dirty screen problem I have attached a few photos of static screen shots trying to show the problems, the centre of the screen is normal viewing. 70% of the screen when viewing is two tone.Pale colours like green and blue really show up the problem or I am being OCD. Should I ask for a replacement for this new unit?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,818 Posts
Thank you for the responses. After spending two weeks playing with every setting the picture is okay. Now I mentioned panning and two vertical lines with large areas of colour variation which is called dirty screen problem I have attached a few photos of static screen shots trying to show the problems, the centre of the screen is normal viewing. 70% of the screen when viewing is two tone.Pale colours like green and blue really show up the problem or I am being OCD. Should I ask for a replacement for this new unit?
That's a tough one - I'd have to see it in person. Solid colors definitely show uniformity issues off as compared to "regular content". If you are not happy though, then I might consider reporting it, and try to get a replacement. At least get on the record and see what Sony says.

·
Premium Member
6,818 Posts
Been a while since I've read anything about the "HDR Ringing" issue....well, now I've got it. Not so much a ringing as it a buzzing, coming from the rear, right of the TV when HDR is engaged. Just started doing this. It's very obvious that HDR is causing it, and it seems to be directly related to Brightness.......as the brightness goes down, the buzzing diminishes. What I don't understand is what distinguishes this from just Brightness when not in HDR? If I crank the brightness to MAX on other than HDR content, no buzzing at all. Happens both with disk or streamed content. One more strike against this TV, for now. :(

·
Registered
85 Posts
Been a while since I've read anything about the "HDR Ringing" issue....well, now I've got it. Not so much a ringing as it a buzzing, coming from the rear, right of the TV when HDR is engaged. :(

I was one of the people who originally posted it on here - mine still does it and nothing seems to be a reasonable work around. Luckily it only happens on certain content for me (particularly Netflix, Stranger things in HDR when they have bright lights in the scene) and most of the time the audio drowns it out. I can hear it, but no one else in the house notices it which makes it doubly worse ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
The tv automatically triggers HDR mode as soon as I turn on my Apple TV 4K.
Suddenly i get EXTREMELY over saturated picture and some other colors are extremely dull, same thing happens with my Xbox one x.
I’m I doing something wrong? Can some one share their “hdr settings” with me?
Thank you!!

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
The tv automatically triggers HDR mode as soon as I turn on my Apple TV 4K.
Suddenly i get EXTREMELY over saturated picture and some other colors are extremely dull, same thing happens with my Xbox one x.
I’m I doing something wrong? Can some one share their “hdr settings” with me?
Thank you!!
The Apple TV converts everything into HDR, which is stupid. I heard they are working on a fix, but until then, I would only enable HDR on the device when you're about to watch something in HDR.

·
Premium Member
6,818 Posts
I was one of the people who originally posted it on here - mine still does it and nothing seems to be a reasonable work around. Luckily it only happens on certain content for me (particularly Netflix, Stranger things in HDR when they have bright lights in the scene) and most of the time the audio drowns it out. I can hear it, but no one else in the house notices it which makes it doubly worse ;-)
In spite if having tinnitus, I hear this kind of thing readily (is that irony of some sort? :eek: ). Have you tried reducing the brightness? I'm curious to see if yours has the same correlation that mine does. It get worse when I bring up the TV settings menus too - but only during HDR playback, menus must add some sort of full brightness or something I guess, hence the resultant buzzing......:confused: Yeah, can't hear it when there is audio content, but in silent scenes, or pausing playback, I hear it, and it is super-annoying. It's not loud, but it's at a frequency that just stands out to me like a turd in a punch bowl. I'll hand onto this thing until the extended warranty is nearly expired, then I'll call it in, assuming nothing catastrophic happens first, then see what they want to do with it. I'll really need to reconsider Sony as a brand though for my next purchase, which bums me out as I've been a longtime Sony fan and owner. :(

·
Registered
467 Posts

You might have too many devices of a given type connected to the TV. CEC has limitations on how many devices of given types that can be addressed.

As I recall only 3 player devices are supported.

http://wiki.kwikwai.com/index.php?title=The_HDMI-CEC_bus

Try disabling CEC on some of your devices.

·
Registered
316 Posts
You could try for a replacement, but I don't think you'll ever find a perfect screen.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Got a really good deal on a LG E7, so I guess it's goodbye to this thread. I tried, Sony, but you didn't really help. Purple issues all around, uncomfortable blooming over HDR, laggy interface (even with the updates). Wish all of you best of luck with further updates (if they happen).

·
Premium Member
6,818 Posts
Got a really good deal on a LG E7, so I guess it's goodbye to this thread. I tried, Sony, but you didn't really help. Purple issues all around, uncomfortable blooming over HDR, laggy interface (even with the updates). Wish all of you best of luck with further updates (if they happen).
Can't blame you. Enjoy your LG brother! :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
@morphinapg On your HDR problem , is the TV just not switching scenes or are you losing the signal?

I narrowed down my problem to when the PS4 pro/UBPX800 flips to an HDR output , I get the usual no-signal screen, but 8 times out of 10 it gives me static with sound when it comes back (then I have to flip sources to get it back - but it does come back in HDR mode). Using ‘display’ I can see it’s still in 4K but flipping into HDR seems to be my problem. I’m wondering if this is more of a cable issue (smells like one) - does HDR consume more b/width that native 4K or is it just an aligned contrast setting?

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
@morphinapg On your HDR problem , is the TV just not switching scenes or are you losing the signal?

I narrowed down my problem to when the PS4 pro/UBPX800 flips to an HDR output , I get the usual no-signal screen, but 8 times out of 10 it gives me static with sound when it comes back (then I have to flip sources to get it back - but it does come back in HDR mode). Using ‘display’ I can see it’s still in 4K but flipping into HDR seems to be my problem. I’m wondering if this is more of a cable issue (smells like one) - does HDR consume more b/width that native 4K or is it just an aligned contrast setting?

This TV has a known problem of not switching on HDR sometimes. I've ruined a couple movie viewings with this glitch. Has nothing to do with cables or anything, it's just the TV glitching. If it happens, just restart the TV and it should be fine.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Been meaning to ask about this for a while - ever since switching my HDMI port to Enhanced, my Oppo (BDP-103) has intermittently been glitchy in how it interacts with my x930d.

Often, I'll load a disc and instead of seeing the usual logo and FBI warning screens, the tv will display a grey screen with an indicator that there is no signal being detected.

It usually snaps back once the main menu screen comes up, but not always - I often have to eject the disc and reload in order to force the Sony to recognize the signal.

Is this a known problem between the 930d and the Oppo?

·
Registered
85 Posts
This TV has a known problem of not switching on HDR sometimes. I've ruined a couple movie viewings with this glitch. Has nothing to do with cables or anything, it's just the TV glitching. If it happens, just restart the TV and it should be fine.

Thanks - in your case, do you lose the signal all together? Or just get a regular signal without the HDR scene being enabled?

7381 - 7400 of 8149 Posts