AVS Forum banner

7461 - 7480 of 8149 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,818 Posts
Very cool, thanks! When I checked for the update today I got, "The TV could not check for an update through the network..." My TV is connected to the Internet so maybe that means that they are preparing it but it's not quite ready. I'll keep checking and I'm sure someone will let us know when they get it.
Nope, it's not available yet. Probably not until at least February, and I won't hold my breath for February either, though I will admit, I will tip my hat to Sony for not totally abandoning us at this stage. I was pretty convinced we'd see no more updates for this set; I'm fairly cynical and I'd love to be proved wrong. :eek:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Nope, it's not available yet. Probably not until at least February, and I won't hold my breath for February either, though I will admit, I will tip my hat to Sony for not totally abandoning us at this stage. I was pretty convinced we'd see no more updates for this set; I'm fairly cynical and I'd love to be proved wrong. :eek:
Looks like it is available for download: https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-download.pl?mdl=XBR65X930D&upd_id=11313&os_group_id=18

It is version PKG3.915NAB and here are the "benefits" included in this version:

Adds support for (Hybrid Log-Gamma) HDR content via HDMI input
Reduces input lag for 4K HDR gaming
Updates the system software to Android™ M (Marshmallow)
Improves general performance of the television
Adds support for 4K Live / NeuLion® Sports digital video technology
Improves performance for Netflix® HDR (4K HDR models)

I have downloaded it, but will wait for a more experienced opinion than mine before I install it over USB.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Looks like it is available for download: https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-download.pl?mdl=XBR65X930D&upd_id=11313&os_group_id=18

It is version PKG3.915NAB and here are the "benefits" included in this version:

Adds support for (Hybrid Log-Gamma) HDR content via HDMI input

Reduces input lag for 4K HDR gaming

Updates the system software to Android M (Marshmallow)

Improves general performance of the television

Adds support for 4K Live / NeuLion Sports digital video technology

Improves performance for Netflix HDR (4K HDR models)

I have downloaded it, but will wait for a more experienced opinion than mine before I install it over USB.

That’s not the upcoming update that was a few months ago.

·
Premium Member
6,818 Posts
I think one of the question is whether or not this will provide Nougat or not.....?:confused:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Did I "lose" Panel lottery with Regards to Clouding?

Hi Guys. I purchased a 65 inch X930D. Can any other 65 inch owners let me know if the amount of clouding in the attached pictures is considered "normal" for this set? I'm using standard settings, local dimming doesn't seem to make much of a difference. It only occurs in dark scenes with some light (white) content. Want to make sure before I try to get my unit exchanged by the retailer where I purchased it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think one of the question is whether or not this will provide Nougat or not.....?:confused:

According to Sony European support site they are building Nougat installation packages to 2016 models. Detailed schedules will be released during spring time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi Guys. I purchased a 65 inch X930D. Can any other 65 inch owners let me know if the amount of clouding in the attached pictures is considered "normal" for this set? I'm using standard settings, local dimming doesn't seem to make much of a difference. It only occurs in dark scenes with some light (white) content. Want to make sure before I try to get my unit exchanged by the retailer where I purchased it.

Looks to me like the local dimming isn’t on in any of the 4 quadrants. I’d propose pulling Morphinapg’s settings from this thread and seeing if that helps.

One thought is those look like the default built in apps (which have their own scene profile). How does a standard HDMI input look?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,129 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Successfully updated with new UI.
Interested to know how you get on with the update. We're currently running in V3.925 in UK which is not the 'Nougat' update which has been documented for spring this year on the Sony UK website as previously stated by max_987.
Had this TV for just over a year now and am still impressed with most things, my only disappointment with it is the limited viewing angle.

Since we've remodelled our lounge and dining room the prime viewing position is now unfortunately the wife's favourite position and i'm suffering big time when we're watching movies.

I've had a good look at the A1E which is a stunning set and the viewing angle is fantastic but it won't fit on my current stand so i guess i'll have to wait for the new AF8 when it's released.

·
Registered
837 Posts

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Interested to know how you get on with the update. We're currently running in V3.925 in UK which is not the 'Nougat' update which has been documented for spring this year on the Sony UK website as previously stated by max_987.

Had this TV for just over a year now and am still impressed with most things, my only disappointment with it is the limited viewing angle.

Since we've remodelled our lounge and dining room the prime viewing position is now unfortunately the wife's favourite position and i'm suffering big time when we're watching movies.

I've had a good look at the A1E which is a stunning set and the viewing angle is fantastic but it won't fit on my current stand so i guess i'll have to wait for the new AF8 when it's released.

I haven’t used the built in apps in quite a while but tried the video app HLG works but not as fluid as the shield or Apple TV. I like the UI because like the Z9 and A1E it doesn’t take up a lot of real estate while making adjustments. The remote is responsive hopefully it’s not short lived, all picture settings remained unchanged waiting for nightfall to test local dimming effects on SDR and HDR. Using stb PQ remains the same in SDR and HDR.

·
Registered
163 Posts
After installing the update, the TV now makes a few loud beeps whenever I go back to TV from Netflix/Amazon on my TiVo. :'( Wish I hadn't downloaded it.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Nope, that's not normal. Take it back.

·
Registered
191 Posts
just went into Settings, turned Automatic Update Check back on, sure enough, new update found....downloading now....
Auto update prompt tonight, took about 15 minutes. No issues with my 65X930D. Settings now shows on the right side of TV while picture and sound stays on whereas before pic went dark and sound went off. Looks like the fonts changed too. No problem entering and exiting apps, at least Netflix and Amazon. No issues noted, no pic or audit settings changed. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
61 Posts
That's actually local dimming working correctly. The reason it looks flickery like that is because you have a bright highlight that's probably very small on screen, such as a small reflective surface or a small light or fire in the background, for example. Reflective surfaces flicker in general based on their direction relative to the camera, and smaller bright lights in the background will flicker when objects cover them.

Local dimming works by having the backlight in each zone be bright enough to illuminate the brightest pixel in that zone. If one pixel (or a small group of pixels) is 1000 nits, and the next brightest pixel is 200 nits, then as soon as that highlight goes away (by the above examples of reflective surfaces changing angle or lights being covered up, or highlights going off screen), then the brightest pixel in that zone is suddenly much darker, so the backlight in that zone decreases its brightness to 200 nits to accommodate that highlight. However, because the object is small and going in and out of focus, it's likely to appear again shortly after that, so the backlight in that zone has to increase to 1000 nits again.

Because this set has relatively few zones to it, the backlight for each local dimming zone covers a large area, so this changing of zone brightness is quite obvious usually. It looks a bit like a lens flare (JJ Abrams would love this TV) so to me it actually looks fairly natural in most cases, but when you have bright highlight detail popping on and off screen it can become quite annoying. Usually, thankfully, there's not a large gap between the brightest highlight, and next brightest highlight in each zone, so this isn't usually a huge issue. They could have improved this flicker by slowing the transition from bright to dark backlight luminance, but doing that would sacrifice black levels when a scene suddenly cuts from a bright to a dark scene.
I really appreciate you leaving such a informative reply, thanks. Most of the time when I notice the light flickering is during situations like you described.

7461 - 7480 of 8149 Posts