AVS Forum banner

7601 - 7620 of 8149 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
For sure. With a factory reset, this firmware has been far more stable. The older code would crater when the TV had switched resolution/SDR/HDR too many times from an external input e.g. Apple TV set to pass native. I've also not encountered the "XYZ service/app has stopped running", spontaneous reboots, and the volume response is much improved. Did I mention that the volume keys now reset the idle timeout?

I'll take the sound glitch for a TV that is finally stable.

Jeff
Still no update here in MA....Jeff what is "idle timeout" you referred to above?
Thanks,
Marc

·
Registered
241 Posts
Still no update here in MA....Jeff what is "idle timeout" you referred to above?
Thanks,
Marc
There is a setting that will turn the TV off after a period of inactivity i.e. set it to turn off if no activity of for two hours, and if the TV sees no remote activity, will turn off. Prior to the update, the volume keys would not reset the timer, but every other key would. This setting is different that the "timers" which just count down and turn off no matter what.

Jeff

·
Registered
134 Posts
There is a setting that will turn the TV off after a period of inactivity i.e. set it to turn off if no activity of for two hours, and if the TV sees no remote activity, will turn off. Prior to the update, the volume keys would not reset the timer, but every other key would. This setting is different that the "timers" which just count down and turn off no matter what.

Jeff
Thanks, Jeff....I bet that is a little-used feature...nice to know, though..
Marc

·
Registered
472 Posts
I have a problem here that I would assume others have had with streaming on the Android system with YouTube. Please forgive my posting this here as I actually have a Z9D set, but on that thread no one is responding and the 930D uses the same system for streaming.

I just purchased a 75" Sony Z9D TV and set everything up including the Google Android streaming. It already had YouTube installed. So it updated to a new Android version of Youtube and I uninstalled the YouTube updates, and it reverted back to the last You Tube (the one with the categories going across the top like food, entertainment, beauty, ect). I tried signing in with my Yahoo Youtube address, which is the YouTube account I have had for years that I pay to get the YouTube Red version which has no ads, and has all of my favorites from the last 10 years or so. No matter what I do, it will not let me sign into a different You Tube account. When I sign in and back out, and then try to sign in again, every time it just automatically signs in to my Gmail Youtube account and it does not give me any option to sign in to my YouTube Yahoo account. I believe they call my old account with all the favorites the Legacy account. Can anyone help me on how to sign in to my old account? I've done everything I can find to do. I read a few places that this was a huge problem when the YouTube update came has year but that YouTube did a fix on that, but it's not working for me. Can anyone please help? I've been at it 3 days and it's driving me nuts.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yeah even with this bug its still by far the best firmware update to date.
I’m in Los Angeles and I have a 55X930D upstairs and a 65X930D downstairs. I have auto update turned on which only informs me of an available update, which I then decide to initiate or not. About 2 weeks ago, my 55” told me to update and I did with no issues whatsoever. The 65” downstairs still has not updated and when I check for an available update, it says thee is no updates found. I wonder why one tv would get it, while the other hasn’t yet. I’ve only used the download method over WiFi on these sets so no plans to do a usb drive method. I’m curious as to the reason for the discrepancy.

·
Registered
85 Posts
wonder why one tv would get it, while the other hasn’t yet. I’ve only used the download method over WiFi on these sets so no plans to do a usb drive method. I’m curious as to the reason for the discrepancy.

I’m in SoCal too, and I have a theory that they phase the updates out, based on when the set was manufactured. For example I bought one of the early 65-930Ds and it always seems to be the last to get the updates.
I used the USB update for the first time a few weeks ago, and so far no problems.

I don’t think there’s anything sinister - just that they phase the rollout so that (a) they don’t overload the download servers and (b) in the event anything does break, they haven’t ruined an entire range of TVs in the wild!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
I’m in SoCal too, and I have a theory that they phase the updates out, based on when the set was manufactured. For example I bought one of the early 65-930Ds and it always seems to be the last to get the updates.
I used the USB update for the first time a few weeks ago, and so far no problems.

I don’t think there’s anything sinister - just that they phase the rollout so that (a) they don’t overload the download servers and (b) in the event anything does break, they haven’t ruined an entire range of TVs in the wild!!

Interesting possibility. My 65” which I received in February 2017 was manufactured in January 2017. My 55” which I received in July 2017 was manufactured in December 2016. Manufactured dates just 1 month apart, but perhaps manufacture at different facilities or allocated to different distribution centers? Who knows? Yeah, I know the 930E was available in July but I am so happy with the performance of the 65”, plus the 3D which works fine on the 55”, and the super clean design of the 930D made it an easy choice for me. Being discontinued also allowed for a better price too. I love these TVs!

·
Registered
837 Posts

My 65" 930D was purchased probably when they were first released, over a year ago.....I received my latest update (Nougat) over a month ago, i.e., the day that Sony released it to the public.

·
Premium Member
6,818 Posts

Makes as much sense as anything! Mine is a few months away from the 2-year old mark from purchase, but it "boasts" a late 2015 chipset! Don't know that it should matter, but it might...

·
Registered
239 Posts
No idea how Sony does it but if they follow what google does its rolled out in phases to random devices in specific percentages over a few weeks. I used to always get them the first week of rollout but now Im always weeks later so I'm going with random?

·
Registered
35 Posts
No idea how Sony does it but if they follow what google does its rolled out in phases to random devices in specific percentages over a few weeks. I used to always get them the first week of rollout but now Im always weeks later so I'm going with random?
I am in New Zealand right next door to Australia, and I still don't have the latest Nougat firmware update for my 65"X930D. Each time I turn my TV on I hope to see the update message for my TV's firmware, but that hasnt happened as yet. The last time there was an update it took weeks after most of you got yours, before I got mine, so I will keep my fingers crossed for it soon. I'd hate them to forget us as the latest firmware sounds very good.

·
Registered
2 Posts
USB video display

new X930D owner here, got it at a good deal.

Will be reading thru all the post on this thread soon!

Have a question, is there anyway to change the view of USB playback to like "windows explorer" folder style instead of the thumbnail preview which is quite hard to navigate.

Even the sample files are also listed which gets kinda cluttered once the TV reads the whole 1TB drive

Even low end Samsung TV has pretty easy to navigate video playback menus

thanks!

·
Registered
239 Posts

Have a question, is there anyway to change the view of USB playback to like "windows explorer" folder style instead of the thumbnail preview which is quite hard to navigate.

Even the sample files are also listed which gets kinda cluttered once the TV reads the whole 1TB drive

thanks!
Not sure. Most of us just stream our content locally using an app, one example would be plex, instead of plugging in a drive to the tv.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts

thanks!
Did you try installing kodi app and browse using this app?

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have a plex server ready, but still testing if plex can play 4K

in the end i use ES file manager to view the USB hard drive and choose the movies. The choose the Sony Video player to play the movies. Some 4K HDR movies has super bright black bars on top and bottom if i use VLC player.

Not sure. Most of us just stream our content locally using an app, one example would be plex, instead of plugging in a drive to the tv.

·
Premium Member
6,818 Posts
Any updates on the Android system in the Boston area? Looking forward to the twin picture view...
Don't know about Boston, but still nothing over here on the opposite coast! :eek:

7601 - 7620 of 8149 Posts