AVS Forum banner

7761 - 7780 of 8157 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
That's resets my picture settings, no?

If so I need to go back in the thread and find the settings I copied off... somebody.

Yes - it will reset your picture settings. I pulled up my current settings on screen and "jotted" them down in Notepad. Then manually restored them after the reset.

·
Premium Member
6,818 Posts
That's resets my picture settings, no?

If so I need to go back in the thread and find the settings I copied off... somebody.

Yep, it'll reset those settings too. So, you can go back and find them somewhere here, or just snap a few photos of the menus. :) Keep as reference.

On a side note, the other day Netflix totally seized up on me and forced me to do a hard restart. Remote was non-responsive so I used the buttons on the TV - what I thought was the power button, was actually the TV button, and holding it in put it into DEMO picture mode, or something. It blew the colors out (Vivid Mode) - WOW! That looked like utter CRAP! I guess I've just gotten used to the settings I use. :eek: Easy enough to put it back into Custom mode, but I didn't realize that DEMO mode also activates a timer that force it back into DEMO (UGLY) mode within a few minutes. Clever enough, but until I realized it and found it (took me about 10 minutes), I was contemplating stabbing out my eyeballs before they were burned out by those horrible settings.....;):):D

Reactions: texviddy

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Hey guys, looking for a bit of advice on this set... Is it worth buying one in 2018 still? I'm looking at an open box 65X930D at a pretty nice price (I won't mention since the "NPT" rule though I don't think it really matters anymore given this isn't a current model being sold new anymore); seller says has warranty but not too sure how legit that is at the moment.

I see the main problems are this power board issue which seems is under warranty extension until 2021 and I've had good luck with Sony covering "known defects" out of warranty in the past so I think that would be alright if they have revised the board so it doesn't fail. But if it's just something to fail repeatedly, might not be worth it.

Other thing is the input lag. Did they ever fix this? I read on RTINGS that they improved the lag in one update but it got worse again in a subsequent update. Pretty sure there have been more updates since then though--did they ever address the input lag "issue"? I.e. has it gotten any better?

It's between this and a Z9D but the Z9D will cost a considerable amount more (again not to mention prices but I think most ppl are aware of what those are selling for now and it's still about 50% more than this OB set would be).

Wish I could find an OB X930C somewhere instead but haven't seen one of those anywhere in a while. (I'd like to retain 3D as I have a lot of 3Ds Blus so my choices are mainly older sets--either finding them as OB or display/demo sets hanging around at retailers or the used market.)

·
Premium Member
6,818 Posts
Hey guys, looking for a bit of advice on this set... Is it worth buying one in 2018 still? I'm looking at an open box 65X930D at a pretty nice price (I won't mention since the "NPT" rule though I don't think it really matters anymore given this isn't a current model being sold new anymore); seller says has warranty but not too sure how legit that is at the moment.

I see the main problems are this power board issue which seems is under warranty extension until 2021 and I've had good luck with Sony covering "known defects" out of warranty in the past so I think that would be alright if they have revised the board so it doesn't fail. But if it's just something to fail repeatedly, might not be worth it.

Other thing is the input lag. Did they ever fix this? I read on RTINGS that they improved the lag in one update but it got worse again in a subsequent update. Pretty sure there have been more updates since then though--did they ever address the input lag "issue"? I.e. has it gotten any better?

It's between this and a Z9D but the Z9D will cost a considerable amount more (again not to mention prices but I think most ppl are aware of what those are selling for now and it's still about 50% more than this OB set would be).

Wish I could find an OB X930C somewhere instead but haven't seen one of those anywhere in a while. (I'd like to retain 3D as I have a lot of 3Ds Blus so my choices are mainly older sets--either finding them as OB or display/demo sets hanging around at retailers or the used market.)

3D is not good on this TV, never really got fixed (65"), or so my reading here has indicated. I don't do 3D myself, so just repeating what I've heard. Check with SONY to see if a warranty is transferable. If it is a new unit, it should be good to go, but you can always run the serial# with Sony to verify it has never been registered.....

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
3D is not good on this TV, never really got fixed (65"), or so my reading here has indicated. I don't do 3D myself, so just repeating what I've heard. Check with SONY to see if a warranty is transferable. If it is a new unit, it should be good to go, but you can always run the serial# with Sony to verify it has never been registered.....
I honestly can't imagine the crosstalk being that bad but admittedly I've not seen it myself. People say the crosstalk on the old HX909 was bad but [I have one] personally it seems fine to me.

Most importantly though, can anyone speak to the input lag/latency as of Nougat updates? I googled but it seems the last anyone talked about lag and this TV is after an early 2017 update where it got worse. Nothing afterwards. I also read about taking the update for an X850D and applying it to this TV to reduce lag? Is that still applicable? It seems everything about this set is great other than the lag issue which may or may not be there any longer.

Yeah if you want 3D and 4K, look for an LG C6 instead
Too many issues with these. Old/early-gen OLED and given what ppl paid for these it's pretty much cheaper to buy a brand new C8 instead of trying to go up against fools on kijiji, etc. who think their TV is worth near what they paid for it years ago :rolleyes: And IR, no thanks, esp. with an earlier-gen OLED. Heck even C7 is bad here. I dunno I'm thoroughly unimpressed with OLED thus far. Expensive, and it's like the modern-day plasma--a one-trick wonder with low versatility. It's also fairly immature tech. Run into a problem with a used OLED and it's probably not going to be a good time--just spending thousands on a paperweight.

That said we have the power issue here with the X930D but that seems to be well-known, has a warranty extension, and there don't seem to be any major image problems (or ones that could develop over time) on this LCD set. Gaming on an X930D may be a little cumbersome due to input lag, but at least it's not going to permanently mess up your set with IR like it can on an OLED. I haven't really looked into it but I also heard LG doesn't give a crap if you have IR, and they try to get away from any warranty claims related to it.

I think a 65" C8 goes for around $2800 CAD right now (hey I'm not mentioning the price of an X930D, right?), and really that's "not bad at all", but I'd still rather buy a Z9D at that price.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
Too many issues with these. Old/early-gen OLED and given what ppl paid for these it's pretty much cheaper to buy a brand new C8 instead of trying to go up against fools on kijiji, etc. who think their TV is worth near what they paid for it years ago :rolleyes: And IR, no thanks, esp. with an earlier-gen OLED. Heck even C7 is bad here. I dunno I'm thoroughly unimpressed with OLED thus far. Expensive, and it's like the modern-day plasma--a one-trick wonder with low versatility. It's also fairly immature tech. Run into a problem with a used OLED and it's probably not going to be a good time--just spending thousands on a paperweight.
What issues? best 3D I've ever seen (including Imax, etc), best SD picture, and HDR that nearly matches my 930d's brightness (I get 700 nits) while also allowing perfect black levels, better tonemapping (details up to 4000 nits are retained) and Dolby Vision support, which almost always looks better than HDR10. I prefer my C6 more than my 960d most of the time. I'll go with the 960d if a movie has poor black levels but bright highlights, and I also use my 960d for family viewing. Otherwise I tend to stick with my C6 and am quite happy with that.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
What issues?
I thought I already went over those? First off we'd be talking about a used set as even OB C6/B6s seem to be getting rare. Then there's the problem that even if you find a used one for sale, guess what? That person paid like 5000+ bucks for their set most likely and now a couple years later they're not going to want to take a fraction of it on kijiji, even if you can get a new C8 for less than these guys are asking for their used C6. Kijiji is full of people that don't understand things like economies of sale and how their whatever they paid $xxx for is not worth anything near that now both because of current prices and due to the fact that it's used!

Secondly IR. Read enough stories and seen enough examples on YT, etc. of IR/burn that not willing to chance it. First off you have to be 100% sure there's no existing burn on a used set in the 5-10 minutes you'd have meeting up someone for a kijiji, etc. sale. After that, you dunno if your use is going to cause problems when the original owner never used it for stuff like PC and gaming. Adding to that these same stories usually end with "LG doesn't give a crap and told me to go jump in a river!" even with people that are original purchasers with warranty. Sorry I'm not going through that.

If your few years old OLED is working out great for you, I'm happy for you :) But I'm not getting into that^ stuff. Not trying to argue with you (or with people trying to hock their used sets for too much on kijiji), I'm just saying I'm not buying OLED and especially not a used one. I'd sooner buy a brand new C8 because, as I said, the prices are much better now.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
I thought I already went over those? First off we'd be talking about a used set as even OB C6/B6s seem to be getting rare. Then there's the problem that even if you find a used one for sale, guess what? That person paid like 5000+ bucks for their set most likely and now a couple years later they're not going to want to take a fraction of it on kijiji, even if you can get a new C8 for less than these guys are asking for their used C6. Kijiji is full of people that don't understand things like economies of sale and how their whatever they paid $xxx for is not worth anything near that now both because of current prices and due to the fact that it's used!

Secondly IR. Read enough stories and seen enough examples on YT, etc. of IR/burn that not willing to chance it. First off you have to be 100% sure there's no existing burn on a used set in the 5-10 minutes you'd have meeting up someone for a kijiji, etc. sale. After that, you dunno if your use is going to cause problems when the original owner never used it for stuff like PC and gaming. Adding to that these same stories usually end with "LG doesn't give a crap and told me to go jump in a river!" even with people that are original purchasers with warranty. Sorry I'm not going through that.

If your few years old OLED is working out great for you, I'm happy for you :) But I'm not getting into that^ stuff. Not trying to argue with you (or with people trying to hock their used sets for too much on kijiji), I'm just saying I'm not buying OLED and especially not a used one. I'd sooner buy a brand new C8 because, as I said, the prices are much better now.
Oh I just meant if you found a new one for cheap, which I still see pretty often

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone, been watching the forum for a while.

Earlier this year I bought a 65X930D on the used market and it worked beautifully up until last week...

Then the dreaded no power problem came up and the TV has not turned on since then. I spoke to Sony customer service and they said they wouldn't cover the TV unless I had the original proof of purchase, even though they have made a limited warranty extension for this exact purpose.

So I have been referred to a local authorized service facility which is asking me to drive the TV there (about 30km from my home) and pay a diagnostic fee before they can even give me a repair quote.

Can anyone please advise me on how I should proceed? Should I call again and try to get an agent who will cover the TV somehow? Should I sell it for scraps and buy a new one?

Thanks. Sorry if I broke any forum rules.
Eh there. I'm currently in the exact same boat as you. I'm also in Canada. Ha. Got a 55X930D off eBay last year. Last week the TV died. Support was helpful up until I hit the "proof of purchase" point. Have you managed to get Sony to loosen up on anything? Or have you had to get a local repair done?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Eh there. I'm currently in the exact same boat as you. I'm also in Canada. Ha. Got a 55X930D off eBay last year. Last week the TV died. Support was helpful up until I hit the "proof of purchase" point. Have you managed to get Sony to loosen up on anything? Or have you had to get a local repair done?
Call again and say you have the proof. Then the call will progress to the agent running your TVs serial and finding out one of two things, either the TV had a previous owner who received a replacement for it or the previous owner just sold it. If the previous owner got a replacement TV for this one, Sony counts that as the warranty for the particular TV to have been fully honoured and will not assist you any further. this happened to me. If the TV has not been previously replaced, you have a chance for a free repair. I'm not if sure they accept eBay invoices as proof but if the TV is not "scrap" as they told me, you have a very high chance of getting service.
I live in the GTA and can tell you the cost of fixing it outside warranty. It's pretty reasonable all things considered.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Man , just out of nowhere my set is probably 30% dimmer at least. Went to play Madden tonight and it looks like my kids Sony 630 that's only like 220 knits. It's been acting weird lately. All of a sudden I get no picture after I switch inputs. Power is still on, still passes and controls audio to the receiver. Can switch inputs, just no video. Unplugging for a couple minutes is what brings it back. But now the overall dimmer picture is going to drive me nuts. Guess I should check another input. Try that. Anyone else have crap like this?

·
Registered
833 Posts
Man this is b.s. all inputs are way dimmer now. I've always liked a brighter screen, so my normal brightness is about 35. Now 35 looks about how about 15 used to. Wouldn't care if max was a bright as 35 or so. Light sensor off, nothing changed. Haven't even touched my settings in a couple years, maybe a little after updating, but don't think there was a recent one, was there? Doh. Guess full reset is next damn it

·
Registered
833 Posts
Really got to like this TV after awhile. At first the clouding was terrible. Couldn't even think about watching anything hdr . Any dark scenes even non hdr, had horrible clouding. Grey a blobs all over anything black. Over about a year it slowly fading away. I even compared pictures of the clouding from the set new, to a few months ago, and night and day difference. So was pretty happy with the set. Until this crap. Just did a factory reset and the the audio was garbled and distorted on that little Sony jingle. See what we got in a few

·
Premium Member
6,818 Posts
Really got to like this TV after awhile. At first the clouding was terrible. Couldn't even think about watching anything hdr . Any dark scenes even non hdr, had horrible clouding. Grey a blobs all over anything black. Over about a year it slowly fading away. I even compared pictures of the clouding from the set new, to a few months ago, and night and day difference. So was pretty happy with the set. Until this crap. Just did a factory reset and the the audio was garbled and distorted on that little Sony jingle. See what we got in a few
That's interesting - something I have never had an issue with - at least on my display, blacks are black. Maybe not OLED black, but they are solid with no clouding. I wonder what it is on your display that "broke in" to give you the better picture over time. If anything, I'd think pictures get worse over time! :eek: No recent updates that I'm aware of, so that shouldn't be the issue for you. The factory reset of course will change all of your settings, so you'll need to redo that, but hopefully that jogs the thing back into proper behavior.

If I ever have issues with a component, I like to disconnect everything from it just to ensure the component in question is not being influenced somehow by an outside source. Is the screen dim on restart? If it is, that points to a possible issue with the display, but if it appears normal then it might be pointing to something else. I'm pretty sure when the display boots, it is ignoring any settings (though I could be wrong about that....).

·
Registered
85 Posts
The hdmi dynamic range setting has returned

I do hope this doesn’t change my morphinapg setup ;-)

Mmmm and it apparently ‘improves Performance with HDR content’.
Wonder if they finally got it to stop resetting the signal when it changes modes..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I do hope this doesn’t change my morphinapg setup ;-)

Mmmm and it apparently ‘improves Performance with HDR content’.
Wonder if they finally got it to stop resetting the signal when it changes modes..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This setting is important if a device hooked up by hdmi sends an incorrect signal the options are auto, full and limited. Btw this was how it was out of the box.

7761 - 7780 of 8157 Posts