AVS Forum banner

7801 - 7820 of 8150 Posts

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Mine just died. Simply won't power on at all. I'm on the phone with support and they have acknowledged the warranty extension for this issue, so fingers crossed. Great timing with family showing up for the holidays tomorrow!

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
Mine just died. Simply won't power on at all. I'm on the phone with support and they have acknowledged the warranty extension for this issue, so fingers crossed. Great timing with family showing up for the holidays tomorrow!
Ah man that sucks. Good for the warranty extension thing though which I think lasts a few years more for that particular problem since it's a common issue. I hope mine doesn't have that problem any time soon. Just got my Mission Impossible 6 pack 4K set for my birthday and plan to watch them with family on the 960d.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Yup, sounds like they will take a care of it but technician will call in 2 business days which is pretty much next Wednesday or Thursday at this point :-(

Ah man that sucks. Good for the warranty extension thing though which I think lasts a few years more for that particular problem since it's a common issue. I hope mine doesn't have that problem any time soon. Just got my Mission Impossible 6 pack 4K set for my birthday and plan to watch them with family on the 960d.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Need help with internet connection. My wifi works fine but I cannot connect with wired LAN. Cable and switch are gigabit and working fine but still cannot connect. Any help or advice would be appreciated...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Are you trying to run with both enabled at the same time? I’d disable the wireless before you connect the LAN to avoid screwy routing issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
Upgrade from Sony 930d for better hdr

I apologize in advance if this isn't the right forum for this topic, but I thought it might be a good place to ask. I've currently been using the 930d for the past 2 years and while I love the tv, I do find hdr content can be a little hit or miss. The thing I find the most annoying is how large portions of the screen often gets brighter around even very small light sources. This can be particularly distracting if you're watching content with many dark scenes, or if you have light sources that flicker like water reflections or candles. Strangely enough I notice this most with Netflix content, but I do occasionally notice it with 4k discs as well. Would moving up to a lcd with full array local dimming be enough so solve this issue, or is oled the best way to go for more consistent lighting?

I also got unlucky with a display that has quite a bit of clouding/light bleed that seems to be getting worse over time. It's not really a problem with sdr with local dimming enabled, but it can be noticeable with hdr. If I understand correctly, oled displays do not suffer from clouding/light bleed issues? Do lcds with FALD fair any better?

·
Registered
164 Posts

Can u pls elaborate on the issue.
My bestbuy extended warranty is ending in 6 days.
I can renew for like 1 yr for $115.

3 yr for $303

Pls advice. I bought mine 2 yrs ago. It's going fine atm.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hey Guys.
I've had the 930D 65" for 2 yrs. and absolutely love the TV picture quality.

Lately one thing has been bothering me which is when I am watching content on smart TV like Plex app the only way to send audio from the smartTV to the receiver is via optical cable, which doesn't to my knowledge support anything better than 5.1 DD or DTS. No support to TrueHD, Atmos etc.

This seems like a let down for a device that cost $1800.
The only solution is to use Plex on nvidia shield TV which does the exact same thing that Sony Android TV does but is a lot more fluid, fast and supports all audio formats.

Is there any way to get Atmos from builtin android TV to AVR?
Otherwise it's a shame that such an excellent, expensive TV is limited in audio pass through.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
It won't turn on. Apparently some internal power board needs to be replaced. My understanding is that Sony is covering that particular repair until 2020 some time. My part is ordered, local repair shop assigned. Just waiting for the part and call to schedule now.

3 yr for $303

·
Registered
164 Posts
It won't turn on. Apparently some internal power board needs to be replaced. My understanding is that Sony is covering that particular repair until 2020 some time. My part is ordered, local repair shop assigned. Just waiting for the part and call to schedule now.

Thanks.
I bought mine in late 2016.
Did they provide a timeframe as to which yr purchases are covered?

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
Hey Guys.

Lately one thing has been bothering me which is when I am watching content on smart TV like Plex app the only way to send audio from the smartTV to the receiver is via optical cable, which doesn't to my knowledge support anything better than 5.1 DD or DTS. No support to TrueHD, Atmos etc.

The only solution is to use Plex on nvidia shield TV which does the exact same thing that Sony Android TV does but is a lot more fluid, fast and supports all audio formats.

Otherwise it's a shame that such an excellent, expensive TV is limited in audio pass through.

Thanks
You can also do HDMI ARC but it stupidly has the same limitations as optical. I have no idea why the HDMI people ever thought that was a good idea.

·
Premium Member
6,818 Posts
Thanks.
I bought mine in late 2016.
Did they provide a timeframe as to which yr purchases are covered?

For the power board issue, it doesn't matter when you bought it - check the Sony website about the details of the issue. You covered for that particular issue for a while longer. Though I believe you must be the original owner.....not 100% on that.

Reactions: stpfan

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Repaired today, quick and easy, hours after my holiday guests left. We had to actually socialize.

And of course, in the meantime, my Tivo died with a hard drive failure.

·
Premium Member
6,818 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I apologize in advance if this isn't the right forum for this topic, but I thought it might be a good place to ask. I've currently been using the 930d for the past 2 years and while I love the tv, I do find hdr content can be a little hit or miss. The thing I find the most annoying is how large portions of the screen often gets brighter around even very small light sources. This can be particularly distracting if you're watching content with many dark scenes, or if you have light sources that flicker like water reflections or candles. Strangely enough I notice this most with Netflix content, but I do occasionally notice it with 4k discs as well. Would moving up to a lcd with full array local dimming be enough so solve this issue, or is oled the best way to go for more consistent lighting?

I also got unlucky with a display that has quite a bit of clouding/light bleed that seems to be getting worse over time. It's not really a problem with sdr with local dimming enabled, but it can be noticeable with hdr. If I understand correctly, oled displays do not suffer from clouding/light bleed issues? Do lcds with FALD fair any better?
OLED is the way to go if you arent happy with the zone backlighting of this set. For the pricing of a great LCD with better backlighting, you might as well go with OLED.

·
Registered
12 Posts

3 yr for $303

This will ultimately be your decision. The TV might go for another 10 years and never have an issue or you could roll the dice and end up with snake eyes ( Dead TV ) in a year or 2. So ultimately, it boils down to if you have the disposable income to drop 300 on insurance, because that's really what it is, insurance, and be prepared to not get a replacement on the spot, the typical process will take between a week to as much as 6 weeks to get approved for a replacement if the set dies under the plan.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You can also do HDMI ARC but it stupidly has the same limitations as optical. I have no idea why the HDMI people ever thought that was a good idea.

Hey dude, honestly, you can't blame engineers ( I say this due to your use of the word stupidly ) that worked on a specification that's almost 20 years old to have the foresight to see that there would be a need for higher bandwidth via ARC. My recommendation is to get an HDMI splitter capable of splitting hdcp 2.3 and 4k HDR content.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hey dude, honestly, you can't blame engineers ( I say this due to your use of the word stupidly ) that worked on a specification that's almost 20 years old to have the foresight to see that there would be a need for higher bandwidth via ARC. My recommendation is to get an HDMI splitter capable of splitting hdcp 2.3 and 4k HDR content.
How will that help getting Atmos audio from Sony android TV to AVR?

The conversation we were having is that devices like $150 nvidia shield can send atmos audio to the receiver but there is no way to send that audio from TV to AVR. Optical doesn't support it either.
So it's a little annoying getting a $2k TV and still needing the nvidia shield.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey Guys.

Thanks
Unfortunately, there are no solutions. What I do is use my xbox one S for all 4k hdr10 and 7.1 content and then use a splitter thats capable of splitting the 4k and hdcp signal.

7801 - 7820 of 8150 Posts