AVS Forum banner

7881 - 7900 of 8158 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,818 Posts
Prob wont get a response but if anyone wants to follow I did ask about Oreo update for our specific models over in the Sony forum.

https://us.community.sony.com/s/question/0D50B00005ZG8raSAD/when-will-the-sony-x930d-get-android-8-oreo-update?language=en_US

Thanks! I'll follow and see what the response might be. I'm not overly worried about getting it, but am a bit worried about the TV getting bogged down by something more complex than it needs. Not sure how much processing power this one has left in it? But I also don't know if this newer OS would really demand much anyway? Still, from initial release, can't help but think it's pushing its limits....

·
Registered
2,130 Posts

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
I'm having an issue with 4K UHD on Amazon Prime with the 930d. The image is downright awful, #1 its really dark and lacking color. Netflix isn't nearly as bad but not great either. Other 4K content looks good while streaming as long as it's not UHD. The only way to watch Prime UHD is to change input off HDCP 2.2 forcing 1080p. Any thoughts what's going on here?
That to me sounds like you probably set the brightness too high for SDR content and got used to it. HDR has a more accurate APL.

What I would suggest is first of all, turn down the brightness of SDR, and secondly, turn off lights when you watch HDR content.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
261 Posts
That to me sounds like you probably set the brightness too high for SDR content and got used to it. HDR has a more accurate APL.

What I would suggest is first of all, turn down the brightness of SDR, and secondly, turn off lights when you watch HDR content.

You might be right I watch mostly in standard mode SDR it's always looked better. I'll give the darkroom a try thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
164 Posts
If he likes 3D, he shouldn't settle for anything other than a 75" Z9D.

Also the input lag on the x930D is better at 1080p @ 120hz. Try that.
Talking about 3D. I've watched a few movies in 3d on XBR65930d sitting 12 ft away . It always seems a bit off to me.
Some scenes look nice, others blurry and eye straining.
Warcraft is one which had some good 3d in it. Sometime I wonder if it's just me who is the problem with 3d content

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm having an issue with 4K UHD on Amazon Prime with the 930d. The image is downright awful, #1 its really dark and lacking color. Netflix isn't nearly as bad but not great either. Other 4K content looks good while streaming as long as it's not UHD. The only way to watch Prime UHD is to change input off HDCP 2.2 forcing 1080p. Any thoughts what's going on here?
Did u go through picture setting for an optimized pic for your lightening?
Initially I was running higher contrast and saturation, looked more like actual TV colors. Since I've setup picture settings to rthings recommendation and tweeked it a bit. Now the Amazon 4k colors look more like movie theater colors. Slightly muted, slightly darker, not to vibrant. When the lights are off I really like it this way now.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
Talking about 3D. I've watched a few movies in 3d on XBR65930d sitting 12 ft away . It always seems a bit off to me.
Some scenes look nice, others blurry and eye straining.
Warcraft is one which had some good 3d in it. Sometime I wonder if it's just me who is the problem with 3d content

It's well known 3D on this set is completely broken and Sony won't do anything to fix it

·
Registered
99 Posts
Firmware Update V5.417 now available in UK

Found yesterday on Sony UK website - V5.417 now available. Downloaded and installed last night with no hitches.

After update TV seems to load a little quicker and appears to be a bit more responsive - especially the 'Actions' function.

Don't know whether its me wanting it to enhance picture but i'm sure that all the HDR movies (via HDMI) i tested last night (disc and mkv via USB) seemed to be a little sharper and not so much blooming on the HDR effects.

Is it a placebo effect or has anyone else seen improvements in the picture quality?:):cool:

·
Registered
134 Posts
How does one restart just one app (Netflix) ? getting error message (-100) whatever that means....says to check internet connection but that is fine as Prime streams OK...did not see the option to restart it under the apps menu..
Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,818 Posts
How does one restart just one app (Netflix) ? getting error message (-100) whatever that means....says to check internet connection but that is fine as Prime streams OK...did not see the option to restart it under the apps menu..
Thanks

Yeah, I'll get that periodically, not too often. Restart apps is in settings (the gear-looking icon), Installed Apps. Then you can do a restart, clear cache, etc. This does not always work though. I find doing a restart (hold power button on remote for 5 seconds) almost always does the trick when nothing else will.

Reactions: jimsmith94

·
Registered
134 Posts
Thanks, Jonas; I unplugged the set, waited 10 seconds, and when it rebooted, Netflix was happy...thanks for your answer...on another note: I posted this on the Sony Receiver forum :

Upon turning on my DH 770, it used to remain on the input it was set to when powered off. Now, it sets itself to "TV" ,no matter what the last input used, when I really need it to stay on the cable box; it is talking to a Sony TV via HDMI and ARC....can't find any kind of default or initial source setting anywhere....Any ideas?

Received the following answer:
You're probably using HDMI Control on the Sony Receiver. The TV is causing it to turn to the TV input because you're likely using ARC to stream audio from TV to AVR.
To avoid this you might have to use an optical cable for audio instead of the ARC Function.

I am in fact using HDMI, but I hadn't had this problem until a couple of months ago when it started; there were no changes made in operation....any ideas?

Thanks so much

·
Premium Member
6,818 Posts
You're probably using HDMI Control on the Sony Receiver. The TV is causing it to turn to the TV input because you're likely using ARC to stream audio from TV to AVR.
To avoid this you might have to use an optical cable for audio instead of the ARC Function.

I am in fact using HDMI, but I hadn't had this problem until a couple of months ago when it started; there were no changes made in operation....any ideas?
Hmmm. Not familiar with the receiver, but it sounds like something got reset in the TV or the receiver. The fact that you did have it working certainly points to that, and that it can be made to work again.

It's been such a long time that I've messed with the settings on my TV, I just don't recall anything about the CEC (HDMI control) settings. However, I do use mine with the Anthem AVM60 - and in the processor, CEC must be active to use ARC, and that is how I have it set up. I think it's HDMI 4 on the TV connected to the HDMI ARC output on the processor. Works just fine.

I also have my default input set to the cable box when the processor is powered on, and there is a specific setting in the pre-pro that lets you set the "Power-On Input" (in my case, the HDMI 1 input on the Anthem, but doesn't matter). I'd think you'd have a similar setting in the Sony? This works without fail on my AVM/Sony TV combo.

I'd maybe investigate the Bravia Sync settings on the TV?? Sorry, wish I could be of more help! :eek:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hmmm. Not familiar with the receiver, but it sounds like something got reset in the TV or the receiver. The fact that you did have it working certainly points to that, and that it can be made to work again.

It's been such a long time that I've messed with the settings on my TV, I just don't recall anything about the CEC (HDMI control) settings. However, I do use mine with the Anthem AVM60 - and in the processor, CEC must be active to use ARC, and that is how I have it set up. I think it's HDMI 4 on the TV connected to the HDMI ARC output on the processor. Works just fine.

I also have my default input set to the cable box when the processor is powered on, and there is a specific setting in the pre-pro that lets you set the "Power-On Input" (in my case, the HDMI 1 input on the Anthem, but doesn't matter). I'd think you'd have a similar setting in the Sony? This works without fail on my AVM/Sony TV combo.

I'd maybe investigate the Bravia Sync settings on the TV?? Sorry, wish I could be of more help! :eek:
Ahh, many thanks for your input...it's not a big deal...probably something I have set wrong, but I can't find it..I think the poster who suggested I run an optical cable to get the FIOS audio back from TV to receiver may be correct; with my setup, it is not worth the effort (physical locations of components)….
Again, thanks for your help,
Marc

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
I just got the dreaded message "couldn't get the TV to turn on today" ughh...

I'll have to do some checks to see if it's not anything else, but it seems likely I'll be contacting Sony to fix this.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
Well, it had indeed lost power, as the physical button didn't do anything nor did it show up on the network when looking at my google home app, but I just went and checked the connections for everything, unplug/replugged everything power wise, tried the tv again, and boom, it turned on. So no need to have service just yet. But I do hope that if it's ever going to happen, that it does happen before that extended warranty offer ends in Jan 2021.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Upon turning on my DH 770, it used to remain on the input it was set to when powered off. Now, it sets itself to "TV" ,no matter what the last input used, when I really need it to stay on the cable box; it is talking to a Sony TV via HDMI and ARC....can't find any kind of default or initial source setting anywhere....Any ideas?

Thanks so much
I don't own this particular TV (if you go back a few pages in this thread you can see I at one point pondered getting an OB 930D but ended up getting an OB Z9D instead) but I do have another Sony set connected to a Sony AVR so I'm somewhat familiar with the way CEC (Bravia Sync) works between them.

However, you need to specify how your components are connected. Are you using the TV as the switcher or the AVR? I.e. where are your device(s) connected, to the TVs inputs or the AVRs inputs?

7881 - 7900 of 8158 Posts