AVS Forum banner

7981 - 8000 of 8149 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dave DuMond; ]In case you haven't done it already, make sure you have the latest firmware and do a hard reset of the set

I've done that multiple times. No change unfortunately. Hoping someone has a way to convince Sony that I need the powerboard replaced.

·
Premium Member
6,818 Posts
Dave DuMond; ]In case you haven't done it already, make sure you have the latest firmware and do a hard reset of the set

I've done that multiple times. No change unfortunately. Hoping someone has a way to convince Sony that I need the powerboard replaced.

I *think* the recall extends to 2021? I could be wrong. But if that's the case, I'd imagine you might get there before the deadline. When you say you have the issue using the remote - is that the Sony remote, any remote? Just wondering if there is something wacky going on with the remote? Good batteries?

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's not the remotes as I've used several and all have the same problem periodically.

I was really hoping to hear from others that have dealt with Sony as to how they handled the problem. Customer Service tells me that the extended warranty only will be valid if the TV will not turn on at all. My problem is that is only happens periodically. I would think it is still the powerboard but can't tell unless Sony sends out a technician.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi All,
I went to power on my 55 930d this morning and found that it wouldn't turn on. After running though all the regular culprits, i'm pretty sure there is a serious problem going on. I've been reading up on this issue and it seems I'm not the only one and that its actually a known issue that sony should fix for free. I fully plan on giving them a call after the holidays (fortunately its not my main tv or else I would be MUCH more annoyed)) but my only concern is I have no idea where my receipt is as I purchased the display roughly 3 years ago. For those who have dealt with sony customer service, how hard a time do you think they will give me over this?

·
Premium Member
6,818 Posts
For those who have dealt with sony customer service, how hard a time do you think they will give me over this?

Well, that's a good question. Are you at all able to go back to the seller? They may or may not be able to dig something up for you. It's possible that it won't be needed for this particular issue, but I can't speak for Sony.

·
Registered
32 Posts
TV is still working great, but my wired Ethernet no longer works. I can actually see my network settings, but it won't ever connect anymore while it's wired up. I had to switch to WiFi and it's working again. Not sure if it's a modem issue or what.

It's a little disconcerting seeing some of the issues cropping up after a few years of usage. I remember Sony TVs were rock solid and would last decades, it just doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi All,
I went to power on my 55 930d this morning and found that it wouldn't turn on. After running though all the regular culprits, i'm pretty sure there is a serious problem going on. I've been reading up on this issue and it seems I'm not the only one and that its actually a known issue that sony should fix for free. I fully plan on giving them a call after the holidays (fortunately its not my main tv or else I would be MUCH more annoyed)) but my only concern is I have no idea where my receipt is as I purchased the display roughly 3 years ago. For those who have dealt with sony customer service, how hard a time do you think they will give me over this?
I had the same problem and it was the external power brick. The plug from the brick to the TV wasn't fully seated. It was just barely, barely out and it wouldn't send any power. It seemed really sensitive in regards to how firmly that cord was seated. I must have accidentally bumped it or just came loose over the years.

I doubt this is your problem, but it certainly wouldn't hurt checking as it's such a simple thing to overlook.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Not sure if this was reposted, but I just saw this:

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/televisions-projectors-lcd-tvs-android-/xbr-65x930d/articles/S1Q0526

Dear Valued BRAVIA® customers,

Some XBR-X930D series BRAVIA televisions may experience an issue where they will not power on due to a problem with the power supply circuit board. To address this issue, subject to the terms and conditions in the Limited Warranty that accompanied the Affected Models, we will repair your Affected Model, free of charge, through January 31, 2021.

Thank you for your support and we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Affected Models

XBR-55X930D
XBR-65X930D
Resolution

If you have an Affected Model that will not power on, please Contact Product Support for assistance. If diagnosis confirms that the issue is caused by the power supply circuit board failure, your Affected Model television will be repaired, free of charge, subject to the terms and conditions of Limited Warranty that accompanied the Affected Model, through January 31, 2021.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Hi All,

They will ask for the serial number date and place of purchase. One best practice that has served me well is to attach receipt to any manual or included paperwork. Like stated the seller may help as well as your credit card company.
My repair was done in 7 days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks for your input guys, much appreciated. I went digging and found my original receipt so hopefully sony will have no excuse not to fix the tv if it is indeed the power supply circuit board.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Thanks for your input guys, much appreciated. I went digging and found my original receipt so hopefully sony will have no excuse not to fix the tv if it is indeed the power supply circuit board.

Once I provided the information they didn’t hesitate to initiate my repair.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I’ll get in touch with them. I thought that was the case, TV is not even three years old - hopefully is easily sorted out / nothing serious.
Ok here's my story and update for anyone interested... I contacted Sony, and they were very understanding. I wasn't willing to throw more money at this - so as much as I love Sony's approach to picture quality and upscaling, I went out and got a new TV (LG B9.) Ended up giving away my 930d to the concierge in my building who helped me carry up the B9... Long story short, there was nothing wrong with my 930d! Get the new TV set up and guess what - it's shutting down. It was actually an issue with the Nvidia Shield. FML. Okay well whatever I have a new OLED. OLED's supposed to be better, but as I am watching it, it doesn't do colour like the Sony. Also my old Sony soundbar (HT260) isn't playing nice with the LG - so I go out and get a Sony Z9F - which I love. After two weeks (one of which I was away - so the LG was not used at all) the LG has a huge dark uneven stripe in the middle of the screen! So let's review: I gave away my 930d thinking it was defective (it's always been plagued by issues with the substandard chipset Sony used.) I got the LG and while it does black better than black, it doesn't do colour or upscaling like the 930d. I had to buy a new soundbar cause the old one wouldn't co-operate. So we're returning the LG and getting a 950g which I hope is going to do colour and upscaling like the 930d did, but without the sluggishness. SMH not having much luck here!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ok here's my story and update for anyone interested... I contacted Sony, and they were very understanding. I wasn't willing to throw more money at this - so as much as I love Sony's approach to picture quality and upscaling, I went out and got a new TV (LG B9.) Ended up giving away my 930d to the concierge in my building who helped me carry up the B9... Long story short, there was nothing wrong with my 930d! Get the new TV set up and guess what - it's shutting down. It was actually an issue with the Nvidia Shield. FML. Okay well whatever I have a new OLED. OLED's supposed to be better, but as I am watching it, it doesn't do colour like the Sony. Also my old Sony soundbar (HT260) isn't playing nice with the LG - so I go out and get a Sony Z9F - which I love. After two weeks (one of which I was away - so the LG was not used at all) the LG has a huge dark uneven stripe in the middle of the screen! So let's review: I gave away my 930d thinking it was defective (it's always been plagued by issues with the substandard chipset Sony used.) I got the LG and while it does black better than black, it doesn't do colour or upscaling like the 930d. I had to buy a new soundbar cause the old one wouldn't co-operate. So we're returning the LG and getting a 950g which I hope is going to do colour and upscaling like the 930d did, but without the sluggishness. SMH not having much luck here!
Thanks for sharing your story, as painful as it was. I still have my 930D, hoping I won't have to deal with a power board altho good to know I'm covered until 2021. And I'll deal with all it's other issues because love the picture quality. And I was lusting after an OLED (I collect TVs) but not so much now, I wonder what Sony's is like.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Just an FYI to those in the future who need to have their power board replaced, when I contacted Sony all they asked for was the serial number. I had the receipt and date of purchase, but they never asked and didn't care. I just gave them the serial number, and they arranged the repair which was done about 10 days later.

SMK

·
Premium Member
6,818 Posts
DOH!! Well, you did something nice for the concierge and you've got a new set out of it anyway, and a learning experience under your belt.

But I like your statement about the LG - it does black better than black... now, I've never done any critical watching on an OLED, but that's always been my issue with them - the blacks just look too black. They look great, but in an unrealistic way. So, I don't know what I'm gonna do when time comes to replace the 930D. Hopefully it'll last many more years to come, and I can put off such a decision for a while. BUT - it'll be a Sony. That's the one thing I've always found - that the Sonys at least do color more accurately in general than at least Samsung and LG. I have found this same experience with projection where I work. Kudos to Sony for that at least. I think your 950G will be pretty good! Do let us know.

Happy New Year to all of you! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
So a question for those that have called Sony Customer Service about the powerboard issue. Once Sony ships the part to a repair facility they come to your house to replace the powerboard. Does the repair technician do any testing of the TV before replacing the powerboard? I have an intermittent issue when turning on the TV that it immediately shuts down. This may happen 3 or 4 times in a row but when I keep hitting power it does eventually stay on. I have not experienced the problem for a couple of weeks now. When I called Sony they said they would only provide the new powerboard if the TV would not power on at all. So I'm hoping that if I call and a repair is scheduled the technician will not do any testing of the TV and just replace the powerboard. Otherwise I thought I would just disconnect the plug when he comes and then plug it back in while he is doing the repair. Yeah I know a little deceitful but I don't want to have the issue fully develop after the extended warranty expires. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
So a question for those that have called Sony Customer Service about the powerboard issue. Once Sony ships the part to a repair facility they come to your house to replace the powerboard. Does the repair technician do any testing of the TV before replacing the powerboard? I have an intermittent issue when turning on the TV that it immediately shuts down. This may happen 3 or 4 times in a row but when I keep hitting power it does eventually stay on. I have not experienced the problem for a couple of weeks now. When I called Sony they said they would only provide the new powerboard if the TV would not power on at all. So I'm hoping that if I call and a repair is scheduled the technician will not do any testing of the TV and just replace the powerboard. Otherwise I thought I would just disconnect the plug when he comes and then plug it back in while he is doing the repair. Yeah I know a little deceitful but I don't want to have the issue fully develop after the extended warranty expires. Thoughts?

When mine was repaired there wasn’t any testing done he just went right to work replacing whatever needed replacing and made sure everything was working before leaving.

·
Registered
53 Posts
That is the exact issue I've been having for over the last year or so - very randomly. I've attributed it to a firmware/Android TV update that seemed coincidental with the issue starting, like a software crash that forces an automatic shutdown. I've always been able to recover so it didn't appear to me that it's due to failing hardware. I hope I'm right, expecting a software "fix" at some point, but...maybe not.

7981 - 8000 of 8149 Posts