AVS Forum banner

8101 - 8120 of 8187 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,860 Posts
So we'll see. I used to watch 3D a lot on my old Panny plasma, but haven't watched at all on the 930D so don't miss it really. Costco has the 65X900H in stock, it's labeled as 65X90CH which indicates is is sold by Costco thru Sony. Two years Costco warranty and tech support in addition to Sony one year warranty so with the price they are selling for it is a deal. I've got till tomorrow to decide, so after tomorrow morning I'll decide.

Got one of those credit cards that doubles the warranty? :)

·
Registered
242 Posts
I manually installed the update via usb and it took just fine. I then did a factory reset as this is a major update (1.6GB) in the android tv ecosystem. I highly suggest everyone else do the same after you take the update. I was able to update, factory reset, and re-setup everything they way I like it in about 30 min. So far so good. Haven't noticed any issues yet.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Mine prompted for the update last night. No issues, although as always, the menu system was a bit slow until everything settled down after the various reboots. It's nice to see Sony stepping up their support of the older models.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I didn't receive the update prompt but downloaded the update, put it on a USB stick, and installed it. No problems at all with the TV or my Vizio soundbar. The new interface will take some getting used to, but I like it so far.

·
Premium Member
6,860 Posts
I manually installed the update via usb and it took just fine. I then did a factory reset as this is a major update (1.6GB) in the android tv ecosystem. I highly suggest everyone else do the same after you take the update. I was able to update, factory reset, and re-setup everything they way I like it in about 30 min. So far so good. Haven't noticed any issues yet.
Mine prompted for the update last night. No issues, although as always, the menu system was a bit slow until everything settled down after the various reboots. It's nice to see Sony stepping up their support of the older models.
I didn't receive the update prompt but downloaded the update, put it on a USB stick, and installed it. No problems at all with the TV or my Vizio soundbar. The new interface will take some getting used to, but I like it so far.

3 success stories in a row....tempting....:eek:

·
Registered
840 Posts
3 success stories in a row....tempting....:eek:
I have Automatic Update turned off. I flipped it back on the other day, indicated Update was available; I went ahead and performed the update, i.e., flawless...took about 20 minutes to download and install. no problems at all....haven't really did an in depth see/read thru of new menu...but all viewing sources (DIRECTV, BD, streaming both from Roku, Firestick, and 930D) fine.....

·
Premium Member
6,860 Posts
I have Automatic Update turned off. I flipped it back on the other day, indicated Update was available; I went ahead and performed the update, i.e., flawless...took about 20 minutes to download and install. no problems at all....haven't really did an in depth see/read thru of new menu...but all viewing sources (DIRECTV, BD, streaming both from Roku, Firestick, and 930D) fine.....

Sounds good! Might do this over the weekend....:eek:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Sounds good! Might do this over the weekend....:eek:
Glad to hear so many success stories. Unfortunately, after the update my set could not stop rebooting every time I turned it on. I tried the various resets, unplugged and factory forced, and the reboots continued. Of course I've had problems with solid red lights and various reboots over the last year or so, and the TV was getting progressively slower in responding to remote commands. So after 4 and half years, bought a new Sony 65X900H. Yes, the 930D has a great picture but I have to say the 900H knocks it out of the park. Dolby Vision and HDR videos are so much sharper and brighter on the 900H than the 930D and the blacks are near OLED quality with almost no blooming.

It took me a couple days to open the 900H box and switch out sets, I really wanted the 930D to stop rebooting and I didn't want to get rid of it. But just too frustrating to keep dealing with the reboots so it's been fun being on the thread, lots of great comments from lots of good people. Wish you all the best with your 930Ds and many more years of good watching.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Glad to hear so many success stories. Unfortunately, after the update my set could not stop rebooting every time I turned it on. I tried the various resets, unplugged and factory forced, and the reboots continued. Of course I've had problems with solid red lights and various reboots over the last year or so, and the TV was getting progressively slower in responding to remote commands. So after 4 and half years, bought a new Sony 65X900H. Yes, the 930D has a great picture but I have to say the 900H knocks it outs of the park. Dolby Vision and HDR videos are so much sharper and brighter on the 900H than the 930D and the blacks are near OLED quality with almost no blooming.

It took me a couple days to open the 900H box and switch out sets, I really wanted the 930D to stop rebooting and I didn't want to get rid of it. But just too frustrating to keep dealing with the reboots so it's been fun being on the thread, lots of great comments from lots of good people. Wish you all the best with your 930Ds and many more years of good watching.
Great to hear. I’m looking at either the 900 or 950. My 930 can’t play anything in hdr without massive clouding

·
Registered
370 Posts
Ran the update without issue. Other than changing the menu interface I’m not sure what the update actually did?

·
Registered
242 Posts
I spoke too soon. I've now seen three OS reboots, always on power up. TV works fine once started. When I saw it the first time I did a factory reset, and the only change I made after was to set the HDMI ports to enhanced, and connect to my wireless.

Will need to see what happens over the next several days. If it continues, a call to Sony will be in order. My 930D did have the extended warranty power issue, but was fixed about a year ago and has had no issues until this update.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I spoke too soon. I've now seen three OS reboots, always on power up. TV works fine once started. When I saw it the first time I did a factory reset, and the only change I made after was to set the HDMI ports to enhanced, and connect to my wireless.

Will need to see what happens over the next several days. If it continues, a call to Sony will be in order. My 930D did have the extended warranty power issue, but was fixed about a year ago and has had no issues until this update.
As you can see from my previous posts, I was getting reboots every day, sometimes twice or three times a day. After I unhooked the 930D and replaced it with my new 65X900H, I did a forced factory reset on the D per Sony website related to rebooting problems after uploading a new OS. It involved me holding in the power and volume down buttons on the side of the TV while my wife plugged in the set and watched for the green light to appear under the Sony logo. It did appear but that's all; some kind of Sony Mascot was supposed to show up on the screen but never did after three tries. So next I did a plain factory reset and set up the TV to get to the home screen.

Bottom line, I have not had a reboot over the last three days, but the D is not hooked up to anything, no cable box, Blu-ray, etc. Just plugged in to the wall and sitting there while I decide whether to keep it or recycle. You might want to try the forced factory reset and factory reset like I did and see if that helps, even though the results were not what Sony said they would be with the mascot on the screen. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Has anybody gotten any successful 3D on the set? Are there any particular adjustable active shutter glasses that might help?

Is it a DLP link or an IR emitter?

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Has anybody gotten any successful 3D on the set? Are there any particular adjustable active shutter glasses that might help?

The 3D mode technically works, but it's unusable. There's constant very clear ghosting that makes it look like the glasses almost aren't working.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The 3D mode technically works, but it's unusable. There's constant very clear ghosting that makes it look like the glasses almost aren't working.
A long-known issue with this, one of the last SONYs to support 3D. Mine works but I've not been very happy with it. Nowhere near as good as my Panny Plasma. Some BDs look better than others, but there's always some ghosting, especially on vertical edges near the bottom of the screen. I've played around with settings and have found the best results with Game or Vivid picture mode, usually with Motionflow Off.

·
Registered
64 Posts

I use the recommended SONY TDG-BT500A glasses. The ghosting issue I have with my 55 in set is probably the TV, not the glasses. You have to sync the glasses with the TV first, per the manual.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
It's really a shame, and somehow inexplicable to me that Sony wouldn't of had the good sense or self-respect to fix this problem.

So there haven't been no workaround suggested anywhere, I assume?

Is it DLP link or infrared?

What's the last passive, but still relatively modern 3D TV?

Do people otherwise like this TV?

8101 - 8120 of 8187 Posts