AVS Forum banner

8121 - 8140 of 8187 Posts

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
It's really a shame, and somehow inexplicable to me that Sony wouldn't of had the good sense or self-respect to fix this problem.

So there haven't been no workaround suggested anywhere, I assume?

Is it DLP link or infrared?

What's the last passive, but still relatively modern 3D TV?

Do people otherwise like this TV?
I don't know what "type" of active shutter this display is. I've tried both Sony and Panasonic active glasses with it and they both looked bad.

The LG C6 or E6 is the last good passive 3D set that also happens to have great HDR. The 3D is incredible in my C6. With 4K there's also no loss of resolution with passive 3D, since 3D is 1080p only.

Sent from my OnePlus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Here's something I found on another forum, and I'm wondering if anyone is tried this to fix the 3D problem:

”Its a software glitch. Make sure HDMI enhanced mode is toggled off and do a soft reset (hold the power button down for 5 seconds). 3D should be fine now.”

Well, I tried it tonight and it worked! Totally watchable now. I even repeated the process to see if it would repeat, and it did. I hope this can help someone else. I’m going to contact Sony about this and see if that can help them get a software update out.

https://ap.community.sony.com/s/question/0D50B00004IKytiSAD/xbr65x930d-faulty-3d?language=en_US

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Here's something I found on another forum, and I'm wondering if anyone is tried this to fix the 3D problem:

”Its a software glitch. Make sure HDMI enhanced mode is toggled off and do a soft reset (hold the power button down for 5 seconds). 3D should be fine now.”

Well, I tried it tonight and it worked! Totally watchable now. I even repeated the process to see if it would repeat, and it did. I hope this can help someone else. I’m going to contact Sony about this and see if that can help them get a software update out.

https://ap.community.sony.com/s/question/0D50B00004IKytiSAD/xbr65x930d-faulty-3d?language=en_US
The issue was never if 3D would turn on for me, just that the crosstalk made it completely unusable. Those comments suggest that this does nothing for crosstalk.

·
Registered
64 Posts

If you follow the entire thread you'll see that fix was for the Z9D, not the 930D where in fact the opposite is true. My experience is the 3D is inconsistent, with some content looking better than others. It often improves the farther into a movie you get. I've also gotten into the habit of doing a system restart before using. The crosstalk does not make it totally unusable for me, but it's far from ideal. SONY's response to the 3D issues is clearly indicates they are unconcerned because 3D was no longer a marketing consideration.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
My 55X930D is rebooting by itself more frequently with the latest update from Sony. I tried factory resetting it and it still reboots. Is anyone else's X930D tv have the same issue? I know that its a software issue. Do you know if Sony is aware of the issue and come out with a software patch to fix the issue soon? I really like the picture quality on my 55X930D, but I may to buy a new tv soon to either one of the Samsung's QLED (Q80T or Q90T) or LG CX Series OLED.

·
Registered
64 Posts
No reboots yet after update

My 55X930D is rebooting by itself more frequently with the latest update from Sony. I tried factory resetting it and it still reboots. Is anyone else's X930D tv have the same issue? I know that its a software issue. Do you know if Sony is aware of the issue and come out with a software patch to fix the issue soon? I really like the picture quality on my 55X930D, but I may to buy a new tv soon to either one of the Samsung's QLED (Q80T or Q90T) or LG CX Series OLED.
I have not had a reboot yet. Mine used to reboot occasionally. It may still be too soon to officially call it "gone".

·
Registered
7 Posts
New Interface Limiting and Confusing

With this latest firmware update, I find the new HOME screen limited and somewhat confusing.

The top row has the apps I can add, but I can not reorder them nor delete one or more from the list. I'd really like to delete "TV" as the number one item on the list since I don't even use OTA TV. But there simply doesn't appear a means by which I can remove it, or resequence the others.

Then there is the vertical list, starting with "APPS". It took me a day to realize that I could move to the left for each of these and either move it up/down in the list or remove it altogether.

And then there is the "Customize channels" button at the bottom of the HOME screen. Clicking on this brings up a limited list of "Play Next" previews, underneath of which is another limited list of pre-selected apps that I can include in the home screen.

Finally, it is quite apparent that Amazon Prime Video is not a Sony preferred app/channel since it is not in the list of apps/channels that can be customized.

If anyone has some suggestions of ways around these detrimental features then I would like to hear about them.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Check out my post higher up on this page. I was getting reboots every day so I did a forced factory reset on the D per Sony website related to rebooting problems after uploading a new OS. It involved me holding in the power and volume down buttons on the side of the TV while my wife plugged in the set and watched for the green light to appear under the Sony logo. The green light came on but that's all; some kind of Sony Mascot was supposed to show up on the screen but never did after three tries. So next I did a plain factory reset and set up the TV to get to the home screen. Since then I have had no reboots at all, the set turns on every time and works fine. I decided to keep it and put in my master bedroom since I bought a new 65X900H a couple weeks ago.

So try the forced factory reset and then do the regular factory reset thru the home screen and see if that helps. If you don't see the Sony mascot after the first forced factory reset try, then unplug and retry it at least two more times even if the mascot doesn't show up. Then do the regular factory reset.. Good luck.

·
Registered
64 Posts
With this latest firmware update, I find the new HOME screen limited and somewhat confusing.

The top row has the apps I can add, but I can not reorder them nor delete one or more from the list. I'd really like to delete "TV" as the number one item on the list since I don't even use OTA TV. But there simply doesn't appear a means by which I can remove it, or resequence the others.

Then there is the vertical list, starting with "APPS". It took me a day to realize that I could move to the left for each of these and either move it up/down in the list or remove it altogether.

And then there is the "Customize channels" button at the bottom of the HOME screen. Clicking on this brings up a limited list of "Play Next" previews, underneath of which is another limited list of pre-selected apps that I can include in the home screen.

Finally, it is quite apparent that Amazon Prime Video is not a Sony preferred app/channel since it is not in the list of apps/channels that can be customized.

If anyone has some suggestions of ways around these detrimental features then I would like to hear about them.
You can move (or remove) an app icon in the list of Favorites with a long press on it with the select button. Amazon Prime shows up in my list of Customizable apps.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Check out my post higher up on this page. I was getting reboots every day so I did a forced factory reset on the D per Sony website related to rebooting problems after uploading a new OS. It involved me holding in the power and volume down buttons on the side of the TV while my wife plugged in the set and watched for the green light to appear under the Sony logo. The green light came on but that's all; some kind of Sony Mascot was supposed to show up on the screen but never did after three tries. So next I did a plain factory reset and set up the TV to get to the home screen. Since then I have had no reboots at all, the set turns on every time and works fine. I decided to keep it and put in my master bedroom since I bought a new 65X900H a couple weeks ago.

So try the forced factory reset and then do the regular factory reset thru the home screen and see if that helps. If you don't see the Sony mascot after the first forced factory reset try, then unplug and retry it at least two more times even if the mascot doesn't show up. Then do the regular factory reset.. Good luck.
This is exactly what I did also. And I never saw the mascot either. All I did after the full factory reset is hit the power button on the remote to boot back up. No reboots so far.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts

This is exactly what I did also. And I never saw the mascot either. All I did after the full factory reset is hit the power button on the remote to boot back up. No reboots so far.
Thanks for the tip. I did the forced factory reset this afternoon and did not saw the mascot either, then I did a factory reset in the settings menu and reentered my settings. So far my tv has not rebooted has of yet, but its early too tell. I really don't want spend $1500 to $1700 right now on a new tv.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You can move (or remove) an app icon in the list of Favorites with a long press on it with the select button. Amazon Prime shows up in my list of Customizable apps.
Perfect! Thanks for the tip regarding "long press". But the "Customize channels" button at the very bottom of the Home screen doesn't include Amazon Prime on my TV.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I solved the reboot on power-up for my set.

For me, this was happing anytime I used an attached device that should have auto powered-on the set e.g. Apple TV 4K or Tivo Bolt. Once I went into Bravia Sync, device list, and selected enable, the problem has not occurred since.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
When I turn off my soundbar, and I watch something on an app, I noticed using the tv remote to change the volume doesn't affect volume at all. The numbers go up and down, but the sound stays the same. That is, until I pause and resume my content, at which point the volume actually changes. Anybody else notice this? I don't have the new firmware yet, for reference.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi All - i did the latest firmware update via USB (Was so excite to see they finally released update!)

Did it via USB - plugged in USB, TV detected the .PKG file and did the intial "installing firmware update".. Then when progress bar was done it simply powered down with no LEDs etc

I've waited about 30 mins, no power back, pressure power on side of TV doing nothing but i can see the USB stick has a light on it. What to do? should i unplug it? I don't want to brick it.. or leave it?

·
Premium Member
6,860 Posts
Hi All - i did the latest firmware update via USB (Was so excite to see they finally released update!)

Did it via USB - plugged in USB, TV detected the .PKG file and did the intial "installing firmware update".. Then when progress bar was done it simply powered down with no LEDs etc

I've waited about 30 mins, no power back, pressure power on side of TV doing nothing but i can see the USB stick has a light on it. What to do? should i unplug it? I don't want to brick it.. or leave it?

I would unplug it for a few minutes, keep us posted.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would unplug it for a few minutes, keep us posted.
Phew... unplugged initially for 30 seconds and nothing happened. Unplugged second time, went to walk dog (20 mins) came back, replugged and IT WORKED! THe TV powered back up and finished final step of update. Man i thought i was toast.

Working well now albeit a bit slow. Weak processor inside TV really showing it's age. I may go back to 2017 Shield given it is much more snappy.

·
Premium Member
6,860 Posts
Phew... unplugged initially for 30 seconds and nothing happened. Unplugged second time, went to walk dog (20 mins) came back, replugged and IT WORKED! THe TV powered back up and finished final step of update. Man i thought i was toast.

Working well now albeit a bit slow. Weak processor inside TV really showing it's age. I may go back to 2017 Shield given it is much more snappy.

Good to hear! Yeah, you'd think a few seconds (especially 30) would do it, but I've actually seen those power bricks maintain power for quite a bit of time. Not the Sony one specifically, but others to various devices that have an LED indicator on them that can still lit to the point of me wondering what's up! It's another reason I'm reluctant to do the update - I've got a few apps now that were recent;y updated as well, and now they are really slow. Any slower, and I'd be zinging the remote at the dang thing....:eek:

·
Registered
242 Posts
One thing I have noticed about this update is that the interface is indeed faster. If you haven't updated I highly suggest you do. I remember when 8.0 first came out and it was buggy as all hell on my nexus player. Seems like Google or Sony did something over the years to make it more stable.

8121 - 8140 of 8187 Posts