AVS Forum banner

8141 - 8160 of 8174 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,849 Posts
One thing I have noticed about this update is that the interface is indeed faster. If you haven't updated I highly suggest you do. I remember when 8.0 first came out and it was buggy as all hell on my nexus player. Seems like Google or Sony did something over the years to make it more stable.

Dang it, you're making my decision harder....;):D:eek:

·
Registered
62 Posts
One thing I have noticed about this update is that the interface is indeed faster. If you haven't updated I highly suggest you do. I remember when 8.0 first came out and it was buggy as all hell on my nexus player. Seems like Google or Sony did something over the years to make it more stable.
Have to agree. I am seeing better performance with "O". Not saying this may be true with all apps, but certainly with navigation.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I solved the reboot on power-up for my set.

For me, this was happing anytime I used an attached device that should have auto powered-on the set e.g. Apple TV 4K or Tivo Bolt. Once I went into Bravia Sync, device list, and selected enable, the problem has not occurred since.
Had another power-up reboot. Going to try and duplicate it reliably, and then contact Sony. It only seems to occur when trying to power-up the TV via a HDMI connected device e.g. press menu on AppleTV remote or TiVo button.

·
Premium Member
6,849 Posts
Pulled the trigger on the update last night. Started by making sure all apps. were logged out, then powered down, unplugged the TV for a few minutes. I guess I did this out of a bit of fear and figured while it was not a reset, it'll be a little cleaner for the install, having read some of the stories here. Didn't want to go to the length of doing a massive reset pre-install, but I didn't want to just run the update "dirty". Did it really matter? Probably not....but the update went perfectly. Seems to be running well.

My only complaint is that when I'm watching TV and I go to the Home page, the volume briefly spikes up noticeably for a second or two, then it goes silent. I don't think it should do that, but it is what it is. Have not tried an app/ARC yet to see if I have that issue, but it looks like there was an updated update that addresses that issue? Or at least that's what it seemed to read on the Sony site. Need to try the ARC thing and give it a few more days to see if it's stable, but so far so good. I can't tell if the TV runs better, but it definitely does not run any worse. I was a bit worried about a slowdown, but not so far. 🙂

Reactions: Andy ath

·
Registered
1 Posts
Are there any changes or additions in the settings menu ? Would be cool to play around with new picture settings. Slightly related, the existing settings persist right ?

·
Premium Member
6,849 Posts
Are there any changes or additions in the settings menu ? Would be cool to play around with new picture settings. Slightly related, the existing settings persist right ?
The settings are preserved. No issues there. Not sure about any of the new stuff or what new settings may or may not be there, haven't really explored, but they are detailed on the website.

My ARC works fine too, and no weird reboots so far. It's only been a short while, but I'm going to call it solid at this point, so put me down for a no issues experienced update! :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just wanted to update you - after a clean month without the ARC audio issue, it reared it's ugly head again this morning. No idea what caused it. This time I just unplugged the set (a 55X930D) for 2-3 minutes and when I restarted the issue was gone. Whew! No way did I want to hard reset everything again. But that does point to a hardware glitch, probably in the HDMI section.

·
Premium Member
6,849 Posts
The settings are preserved. No issues there. Not sure about any of the new stuff or what new settings may or may not be there, haven't really explored, but they are detailed on the website.

My ARC works fine too, and no weird reboots so far. It's only been a short while, but I'm going to call it solid at this point, so put me down for a no issues experienced update! :)
Now I've gotta back-pedal. TONS of reboots. Turning out to be a fail of an update. Apps lock up (Youtube, Netlfix, Other) in the middle of streaming, also happens during regular cable watching. Thing has rebooted more in the past 3 days than the entire period prior from purchase to this most recent update. Guess I gotta copy down all of my settings and do the full factory reset, see what happens. It's not like every single time, but nearly every time the TV is used, it'll have a reboot episode. Oh well. Can't win 'em all.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The only reboots I'm getting on the new firmware are while watching Netflix. It doesn't matter what show or movie I'm watching but the TV reboots every two hours or so while watching Netflix. Does anybody have this or have a solution. I upgraded over USB and didn't do anything afterwards. I should probably unplug the TV for a while but I haven't done that yet.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
My Sony 55X930D is still getting the random reboots after I did a hard factory reset. I now think its a system software issue that came from the latest firmware. I really don't think that Sony is going to fix it. I'm on the verge in getting a new tv.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Knock on wood I haven't had any reboots in over a month now. I'm suspicious of the Bravia-link/CEC thing since I also factory reset my receiver (also a SONY) at the same time. So if you are using that feature with a receiver or soundbar and seeing reboots you might wanna try that.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Knock on wood I haven't had any reboots in over a month now. I'm suspicious of the Bravia-link/CEC thing since I also factory reset my receiver (also a SONY) at the same time. So if you are using that feature with a receiver or soundbar and seeing reboots you might wanna try that.
You might have something there with the CEC thing. I can't really put my finger on it but it could be the problem behind so many reboots after the update. I mentioned earlier in the thread about the reboot and solid red light problem I was having with my 65 930D after the update. I did a forced factory reset, then another factory reset, re-established all my settings and moved the TV to my bedroom. Now have it hooked up to only a blu-ray player, Apple TV, and cable box. No speakers hooked up to the HDMI/ARC as it was before (Bose Soundtouch 300). Absolutely no reboots, no solid red light, set just turns on perfectly every single time. No problems with Netflix, Prime Video, Plex, etc. So could it have been the Bose not handshaking properly with the TV? Maybe, but can't find any other reason why the TV works perfectly now and didn't before, maybe I'll experiment and hook the Bose up to it again and see what happens. Glad I didn't get rid of it, hopefully will last for years more.

Funny though, the 65X900H that I bought to replace the 930D in my family room is hooked up to the Bose 300 thru ARC and have not had one issue since I bought it. Other people who have the 900H have had problems, so again who knows? Very weird.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
This morning my Sony 55X930D rebooted by itself 3 times and yesterday evening it rebooted by itself twice in a movie. It sometimes fails to auto detect HDR sources unless I do a manual reboot. I even did a hard factory reset a few times still the same issues occurs. I even contacted Sony support about these issues and their reply is just do a hard factory reset. I don't want to do a hard factory reset every other day. I'm done with this TV. This morning I bought the Sony 55X950H from Best Buy with their service plan and it'll arrive on Monday to my house. Hopefully this new tv is better than my 55X930D.

·
Registered
858 Posts
This morning my Sony 55X930D rebooted by itself 3 times and yesterday evening it rebooted by itself twice in a movie. It sometimes fails to auto detect HDR sources unless I do a manual reboot. I even did a hard factory reset a few times still the same issues occurs. I even contacted Sony support about these issues and their reply is just do a hard factory reset. I don't want to do a hard factory reset every other day. I'm done with this TV. This morning I bought the Sony 55X950H from Best Buy with their service plan and it'll arrive on Monday to my house. Hopefully this new tv is better than my 55X930D.
Man. Sorry for the bad update. I j just sold my 930 d to a buddy a couple weeks ago. Told him " do not update". He asked me again at work this morning about it. Wtf Sony. Decide to break a 4 year old set. Wondering what this new one was supposed to address

·
Registered
62 Posts
Can't say I blame ya. That new SONY is getting great reviews for cinephiles (but not gamers).

·
Registered
62 Posts
Man. Sorry for the bad update. I j just sold my 930 d to a buddy a couple weeks ago. Told him " do not update". He asked me again at work this morning about it. Wtf Sony. Decide to break a 4 year old set. Wondering what this new one was supposed to address
The update was all about upgrading to Android TV 8. I think it improves the UI a lot. Yes it is a roll of the dice, but IMO the issues are more hardware than software-related. In my case I temporarily lost ARC audio but recovering from it also cleared up my reboot problem - for now at least. It would be interesting to know the percentage of users that had issues after the upgrade.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Ive never had a reboot problem on any of the android versions on this tv. But after every major update I always do a factory reset so maybe that helps? Also not I'm currently using a bose 500 soundbar with this tv with arc. There is a known latency issue with the volume control response using bose soundbars but other than that it works fine.

·
Premium Member
6,849 Posts
And now same here, ever since my last post about reboots - the thing has not rebooted. Go figure. Emphasis - knock on wood. I give up attempting to understand anything....🙃

·
Registered
31 Posts
Is there any way to tell when the update rolls out to specific areas or specific sets? My 930 still shows the previous version and checking for the update produces no update available. I do have it set for automatic updates and by this date I would have thought it would have been picked up.

8141 - 8160 of 8174 Posts