AVS Forum banner

8161 - 8180 of 8193 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
I don't think I've ever gotten an automatic update. I always download and extract it to a USB stick and install it that way from here: https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/televisions-projectors-lcd-tvs-android-/xbr-65x930d/downloads
Is there any way to tell when the update rolls out to specific areas or specific sets? My 930 still shows the previous version and checking for the update produces no update available. I do have it set for automatic updates and by this date I would have thought it would have been picked up.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I’ve always gotten automatic updates ever since getting this set. But I do check occasionally when I know there’s been a new release. I know there’s a gradual rollout but after a month plus now I thought it might be available. The current software it’s on came through automatically but I don’t remember how long after it was released that the tv updated to it. Anyway the easiest way is to just let the tv do it but I might have to eventually trigger it manually.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Is there any way to tell when the update rolls out to specific areas or specific sets? My 930 still shows the previous version and checking for the update produces no update available. I do have it set for automatic updates and by this date I would have thought it would have been picked up.
Not that I'm aware of. My automatic update has worked if I wait long enough. If I know there's a new update and I don't want to wait I download the update and apply it manually.

·
Premium Member
6,862 Posts
I don't think so. You just get it when you get it. My TV I think only ONCE actually received the update over the air / autoupdate method. I usually just do it on the USB stick. Kinda silly. You'd think that if you can load it on a USB stick and install it, that the update would be ready to deploy and the TV would just ping a Sony server and be done with it. Guess it doesn't work that way.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I’ve gotten the last couple automatically. But it does say on the site that even if you manually check it will tell you there’s none available until your area or your specific set gets it. It would be nice if they told you at least how long it‘s expected until the rollout is completed to everyone. Maybe there’s no way to know that.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Can anyone confirm if Vudu 3D movies work on the 930D using the built-in app? Also, even though SONY claims that Youtube 3D videos can now be streamed in 3D I have been unable to get that to work on the latest update.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Okay guys I have a fun one on my 55 inch.... After the update everything runs nice and smooth It actually runs pretty good I'm happy with that I can change channels faster apps are snappier but you know what just might be the deal breaker......? how do you switch back and forth between apps? How do you hard close an app? Used to be with pressing the home button.... Long press or double press..... Now it's like a fire stick you can't close the apps and for something with such a small processor like this thing that might be my deal breaker. Damn.

·
Registered
64 Posts
After 2 months of good behavior, the dreaded power-up issue has returned - it takes 2 or more tries to power-up my 55". The next day ARC audio quit again too for no apparent reason. Switched to Optical. I refuse to do factory resets yet again, so I'll just wait for the power supply to fail completely so I can buy something new, I'm done with this set.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My tv started displaying horizontal lines (image ghosting) on only half of screen. Anyone ever experience or know what may be the issue?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Does it show up on all connected content (coax antenna, HDMI, internal app)? It could be something as simple as a bad cable connection. If you use COAX try unscrewing and reconnecting or changing it. Or unplugging/reconnecting other HDMI cables. Or changing cables. If that doesn't work, try hard-slapping the back near the area see if it changes. If it does it might be a loose internal connection. If you feel brave unplug the power, lay the TV screen-down on carpeting, unscrew the back panel and unplug/plug every plug you see connected to the panel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does it show up on all connected content (coax antenna, HDMI, internal app)? It could be something as simple as a bad cable connection. If you use COAX try unscrewing and reconnecting or changing it. Or unplugging/reconnecting other HDMI cables. Or changing cables. If that doesn't work, try hard-slapping the back near the area see if it changes. If it does it might be a loose internal connection. If you feel brave unplug the power, lay the TV screen-down on carpeting, unscrew the back panel and unplug/plug every plug you see connected to the panel.
Shows up on everything! I took cover off, looked at it, and determined I wasn't fooling with it! Dropped it off at a TV repair shop :LOL:

·
Registered
195 Posts
After 2 months of good behavior, the dreaded power-up issue has returned - it takes 2 or more tries to power-up my 55". The next day ARC audio quit again too for no apparent reason. Switched to Optical. I refuse to do factory resets yet again, so I'll just wait for the power supply to fail completely so I can buy something new, I'm done with this set.
Hi, Dave. Just wondering did you see a solid red light on the front of the set before you powered on? Also, do you have an external speaker system hooked up to the ARC port? I got the solid red light so many times on my 65 930D ( couple times a week?) I lost count; when I saw it I clicked the power button, the light went out, I waited a bit, then powered up the set and watched it reboot. Then all was fine for days. Sometimes it wouldn't power on even when the red light wasn't there, so would click on the power button two or three times then it would power on and reboot. I think you may have replied in the past to some of my posts about the issue, but here's the latest: ever since I unhooked my Bose Soundtouch speaker system from the ARC input and moved the set from the family room to my bedroom three months ago and only using the TV speakers, I have not had one solid red light or reboot issue at all. Every time I turn on the set, it powers right up. I am pretty sure the Bose system and the ARC input had some kind of handshake issue which affected the set (memory maybe?). I have no idea, but nothing else makes sense. The Bose is now hooked up to the ARC input on my new Sony 900H and I have not had one power on issue at all with that set. So it is what is. Maybe you are having the same issue? Good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am still having the reboot problem. Started happening with the Android 8 upgrade.

Version 8.0.0
Android security patch level Jan 1, 2020
Kernel Version 3.10.79
[email protected] #1
Wed Mar 4 17:00:38 JST 2020
Build SVP4KDTV15_UC-user 8.0.0 OPR2.170623.027.S16
6.827 release-keys

Running into a Denon X4200 receiver hooked in to the HDMI4/ARC or HDMI3 port, no change
Using an Apple TV 4K for viewing. Two different ones, multiple software revisions since the issue started happening.

TV Reboots about 25 minutes in to watching content. May reboot at weird random intervals after that, may not reboot again. Seems to change.

I have opened two different cases with Sony. Neither case seemed interested in reading the technical details or problem repro's I had detailed out. Both cases suggested that I update the firmware (note, I documented the version and it is the currently available firmware) and do a factory reset (which I stated has not worked on multiple tries)

I have had better responses on the Sony forums.

The latest response on the forum, apparently from a Sony moderator was to disconnect everything from the TV, and see if the problem reproduces. I can see where that idea is going, however, that makes the TV fairly useless.

Interestingly enough, I get login errors to the Sony forum tonight when I try to respond to the thread!

The saving grace here is that I went ahead and disconnected everything. While watching Netflix, a nice vertical line appeared on the screen. Looks like a row (or a few) of pixels have lost connection. Does not go away after reset, power down, etc. Time to replace the TV.

I am not impressed by a few things:
1) Sony does not seem to do software well. This is unfortunate in the era of "smart tv's"
2) As an XBR unit, I don't think it is unreasonable to expect the TV to last 4 years. Every other XBR I have owned has lasted significantly longer. Two units I got rid of after 10 years, as I wanted newer features. I am paying a premium, I expect more. They obviously don't build them like they used to.
3) This unit has been plagued by software issues, power supply issues.. I wonder what is happening at Sony.

So, I am back in the market for a new TV. I am not sure what it will be, but for the first time in my adult life, it will not be a Sony product.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi, Dave. Just wondering did you see a solid red light on the front of the set before you powered on? Also, do you have an external speaker system hooked up to the ARC port? I got the solid red light so many times on my 65 930D ( couple times a week?) I lost count; when I saw it I clicked the power button, the light went out, I waited a bit, then powered up the set and watched it reboot. Then all was fine for days. Sometimes it wouldn't power on even when the red light wasn't there, so would click on the power button two or three times then it would power on and reboot. I think you may have replied in the past to some of my posts about the issue, but here's the latest: ever since I unhooked my Bose Soundtouch speaker system from the ARC input and moved the set from the family room to my bedroom three months ago and only using the TV speakers, I have not had one solid red light or reboot issue at all. Every time I turn on the set, it powers right up. I am pretty sure the Bose system and the ARC input had some kind of handshake issue which affected the set (memory maybe?). I have no idea, but nothing else makes sense. The Bose is now hooked up to the ARC input on my new Sony 900H and I have not had one power on issue at all with that set. So it is what is. Maybe you are having the same issue? Good luck.
Nope, never had a red light. The ARC HDMI connection is to a Sony STR-DN1080 receiver and speakers.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I am still having the reboot problem. Started happening with the Android 8 upgrade.

Version 8.0.0
Android security patch level Jan 1, 2020
Kernel Version 3.10.79
[email protected] #1
Wed Mar 4 17:00:38 JST 2020
Build SVP4KDTV15_UC-user 8.0.0 OPR2.170623.027.S16
6.827 release-keys

Running into a Denon X4200 receiver hooked in to the HDMI4/ARC or HDMI3 port, no change
Using an Apple TV 4K for viewing. Two different ones, multiple software revisions since the issue started happening.

TV Reboots about 25 minutes in to watching content. May reboot at weird random intervals after that, may not reboot again. Seems to change.

I have opened two different cases with Sony. Neither case seemed interested in reading the technical details or problem repro's I had detailed out. Both cases suggested that I update the firmware (note, I documented the version and it is the currently available firmware) and do a factory reset (which I stated has not worked on multiple tries)

I have had better responses on the Sony forums.

The latest response on the forum, apparently from a Sony moderator was to disconnect everything from the TV, and see if the problem reproduces. I can see where that idea is going, however, that makes the TV fairly useless.

Interestingly enough, I get login errors to the Sony forum tonight when I try to respond to the thread!

The saving grace here is that I went ahead and disconnected everything. While watching Netflix, a nice vertical line appeared on the screen. Looks like a row (or a few) of pixels have lost connection. Does not go away after reset, power down, etc. Time to replace the TV.

I am not impressed by a few things:
1) Sony does not seem to do software well. This is unfortunate in the era of "smart tv's"
2) As an XBR unit, I don't think it is unreasonable to expect the TV to last 4 years. Every other XBR I have owned has lasted significantly longer. Two units I got rid of after 10 years, as I wanted newer features. I am paying a premium, I expect more. They obviously don't build them like they used to.
3) This unit has been plagued by software issues, power supply issues.. I wonder what is happening at Sony.

So, I am back in the market for a new TV. I am not sure what it will be, but for the first time in my adult life, it will not be a Sony product.
Four years into ownership of my 55" (and my first Sony TV) and my reboot issue never went beyond the occasional shutdown on power-up, from which I can always recover. Sony obviously under-estimated the CPU and memory requirements for Android TV and fudged-up the 3D support, but there are so many things I do like about the TV. I do think this was a temporary departure model/design with the focus on making an edge-lit TV perform like a FALD. I bought it in 2016 based on Sound&Vision's review and declaring it the best-performing edge-lit 4K set of the year and one of the few TVs left that year that supported 3D.

·
Premium Member
6,862 Posts
And now same here, ever since my last post about reboots - the thing has not rebooted. Go figure. Emphasis - knock on wood. I give up attempting to understand anything....🙃
Well, gotta make a correction on this. After having seemed stable, I get reboots with some regularity. Almost entirely on power on. It rarely does it in the middle of using an app like it used to. The thing fires up, default is the Xfinity box, programming displays briefly, then reboot. I'd say 99% of the time this is the pattern, and probably 10-15% of power on events end up in a reboot. Probably should not have bothered with the update. Minor frustration, for an arguably slight improvement to features. Oh well. :sneaky:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Well, gotta make a correction on this. After having seemed stable, I get reboots with some regularity. Almost entirely on power on. It rarely does it in the middle of using an app like it used to. The thing fires up, default is the Xfinity box, programming displays briefly, then reboot. I'd say 99% of the time this is the pattern, and probably 10-15% of power on events end up in a reboot. Probably should not have bothered with the update. Minor frustration, for an arguably slight improvement to features. Oh well. :sneaky:
Weird. I wonder if it has to do with what apps you have installed? I have yet to ever have a random reboot and I use this thing as my main set every day.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My auto-update setting got the update today. I had been checking about once a week and thought this was taking an unusually long time but normally I hadn’t been aware of available updates so I wouldn’t have been looking out for them. Everything updated without issue. But there was some confusion on my part initially. When I turned everything on this morning there was a message box onscreen about the available update but I have Verizon Fios for tv service and they also had an update that auto installed last night while everything was shut down.

I thought the message box was about the Fios update so I tried to click on the either the update now or update later options but using the Fios remote. Of course nothing happened. Still thinking it was the Fios update I turned the dvr off and unplugged the box but the message box remained onscreen which finally dawned on me that it was for the tv. Anyway both devices are now updated but I have to say I’m less happy about the Fios update than I am the Sony update. The Fios changes are more of an annoyance than an improvement.

·
Premium Member
6,862 Posts
Weird. I wonder if it has to do with what apps you have installed? I have yet to ever have a random reboot and I use this thing as my main set every day.
Dunno. I haven't changed any apps or added anything, deleted anything. Doesn't mean it isn't one of them doing something funky of course. It's annoying, but since it's not all the time, and it seems to do it mostly just on power on to the cable box when it wants to misbehave, I'll live with it. I mean I could always go the factory reset route, and I might do that in the near future. I don't think that could hurt anything. Even if this is the new norm for my set, not like I'm going out to buy a new one anytime soon, not until this one blows up. Still a great TV overall in my opinion.

8161 - 8180 of 8193 Posts