AVS Forum banner

Official 2016 Sony X930D Owners Thread (no price talk)

Tags
x930d
989K views 8K replies 749 participants last post by  Jonas2 
#1 · (Edited)
**Official** 2016 Sony X930D / X940D Owners Thread

Sony Product Information Page HERE

Sony Product Manulas HERE

Product Reviews

Rtings CLICK HERE

WHAT HI*FI CLICK HERE

FORBES CLICK HERE

Pictures:

Nature Tree Branch Wood Darkness

Animation Art Photography Illustration Poster

Water Spacecraft Photography Space Space station

Water World Space Space station Photography

Text Font

Text Font Glass

Picture Quality

The 930D looked pretty good out of the box but to get a true and accurate look you will need to make some picture changes. Settings Posted in Post #2 here. Native 4K looks great and the sets upscaling and motion controls is second to none as all Sony's seem to be. HDR looks amazing on this set. Black levels trump any other edge lit set I have encountered including Samsungs JS8500 and JS9000.

Pros

Android OS capabilities and Apps
Cutting Edge picture quality
Motion Control is excellent
Color accuracy and Black Levels are as close to perfect as possible with LCD units

Cons

Expensive
Black Levels not on par with Fald Sets or OLED
Some Ghosting/Clouding and a little banding also artifacts from time to time
Backlight Uniformity
Viewing Angle (Make sure you do not have a bad angle or you will be sorry)

Conclusion

Overall, the Sony XBR930D is an exciting model for 2016 with Sony's New Grid Array Backlight System, but for 1500.00 cheaper and the great speakers you may want to go with the 930C since I did not see that many improvements from the previous years set. However I will say that this set outperformed the JS9000 and any other Samsung I have owned or viewed (JS9500 not included). I think this television would work well for most viewers but remember at the end of the day it is not Fald and will still have some of the issues that plaque Edge lit type units.

Ongoing Issues from some Owners

The 65X930D has issues with the frame of the TV being bent and deformed. If your unit exhibits this flaw please let Sony know on their Community forum.
https://www.community.sony.com/t5/4K...564326#U564326

The 65X930D has crippling issues with heavy crosstalk when watching 3D regardless of using Sony's own glasses (TDG-BT500A) or content source. If you have tested your unit and it exhibits this flaw please let Sony know on their Community forum.
https://www.community.sony.com/t5/4K...565811#U565811

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Calibration update and suggested settings (4/4/16)

This TV does something different with a 1080p60 rgb444 signal than it does with a 2160p60 rgb444 signal.

As it turns out, 1080p60 rgb444 gives almost perfect color accuracy with very little adjustment.
2160p60 rgb444 on the other hand is much more difficult to calibrate, and I am still unable to get pretty looking charts without use of 3dlut. 2160p ycc gives results similar to the 1080p measurements, but using ycc output from an htpc can introduce banding.

As far as I can tell, for 4k sources it is probably best to make sure your device is outputting in Ycc mode and not RGB

Calibrated Settings for HD and bluray (rec709 color space)
Picture Mode: Custom
Auto Picture Mode: Off
Brightness: 14-15 for 100nits; 30 for 150nits
Color: 53
Light Sensor: Off

Advanced Settings
-Brightness
Brightness 14-15 for 100nits; 30 for 150nits
Contrast 95
Gamma -2 (results in 2.3 measured gamma)
Black level 50
Black Adjust Off
Adv. Contrast enhancer Off
Auto local dimming Medium
X-tended Dynamic Range Off

-Color
Color 53
Hue 0
Color Temperature Expert 1
Color Space bt709 or Auto
Live Color Off

--Adv Color Temperature
R-Gain Max
G-Gain -4
B-Gain -5
R-Bias 1
G-Bias 0
B-Bias 2

-Clarity
Sharpness 50
Reality Creation Off
Random Noise Reduction Off
Digital Noise Reduction Off

-Motion
Motionflow Clear
CineMotion Off (?haven't looked into this too much)

uhd 4K HDR settings
There are no reliable standards/targets to calibrate towards. Using Amazon HDR as a reference, the overall best result I have gotten is to use the settings above for the "HDR" picture mode with the following changes:
Brightness - as high as you can handle
Local dimming - medium
Xdr - medium (grayed out)
Color space - auto or bt2020
Live color - off (or high, seems to depend on the content)

Calibration measurements
This section has a lot of measurements. For anyone unfamiliar with what the numbers and charts mean, this is an excellent result. Especially since I only did a 2pt white balance calibration. Given the results I may go back and do a full 10pt calibration for my own edification, but the difference in picture quality would probably not be observable. The color accuracy results are astounding for a TV with no color controls.
Gamut coverage

Gamma

RGB Balance

Saturation Shifts

Luminance tracking

Grayscale measures

Primaries and secondaries

Colorchecker patterns

Red

Green

Blue

Yellow

Cyan

Magenta

Relation between brightness and light output & impact of Motionflow:Clear

Black uniformity -

Gray uniformity / dse test -

Local dimming test -

Viper32 (POP Settings, if you like a more vivid picture)

Picture Adjustments
Picture Mode: Standard
Auto Picture Mode: Off
Brightness: 30
Color: 52
Light Sensor: Off

Advanced Settings
Brightness
Brightness: 30
Contrast: 90
Gamma: -2
Black Level: 47
Black Adjust: Off
Adv. Contrast Enhancer: Off
Auto Local Dimming: Medium
Extended Dynamic Range: Low

Color
Color: 52
Hue: R1
Color Temp: Cool1
Color Space: Auto
Live Color: Low

Advanced Color Temperature
Basic
R-Gain: -6
G-Gain: -5
B-Gain: Max
R-Bias: 0
G-Bias: 0
B-Bias: 0
Multipoint (10P)
Color Gamma Adjustment Points: 1
R-Offset: 4
G-Offset: 3
B-Offset: 4

Clarity
Sharpness: 20
Reality Creation: Off
Mastered in 4K: Off
Random Noise: Off
Digital Noise: Off

Motion
Motionflow: Smooth
Cinemotion: Off

Latest Software Update Refinements:

UPDATE System Software Update Release Date 4/07/2016 Version PKG3.395.1015NAB File Size 1.19 GB HERE
File Description
Sony has designed the BRAVIA® Televisions software update process to be customer friendly. This software update (version PKG3.395.0105NAB) provides the following benefits:
Improvements over version PKG3.307.0101NAB:
Improves the Netflix software quality. (4K HDR model)
Improves general software quality of the TV.
Benefits provided by previous updates and included in version PKG3.395.0105NAB:
Improves general software quality of the TV
Improves RVU support
Adds Twin Picture (PAP function) support
Resolves a condition where a black picture may occur after performing a remote Off/On (KDL-75W850C)
Improves general performance of the TV
Supports PlayMemories Online service
Supports PlayStation™ Now service
Improves Wi-Fi connectivity of the TV
Improves picture quality (dynamic range, noise reduction, sharpness)
Supports Netflix® streaming service (4K Models)
Improves Lip Sync for HDMI input
Improves performance and stability of the USB video playback features
Resolves a condition where a black screen and no sound may occur when an input changes from YouTube® to another input
Resolves a condition where a black screen may occur during USB video playback
Supports Internet based EPG (Electronic program guide)
Supports Netflix streaming service (2K Models)
Supports Amazon®, Pandora®, and Crackle™ applications
Supports Force Reboot by holding down the Power key on the BT or IR remote controller
Improves performance and stability of overall UI operation
Improves performance and stability of the Action Menu

#4 ·
I will post my impressions etc. soon as I get it setup and dialed in.

If you have any questions ask away and I will try my best to answer.
If you could please go to the playstore and download the system info app aida64

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...nalwire.aida64

I am looking to find out a few things from inside this app...
Please get what it says for the
- system/cpu/soc model,
- Any information on the cores,
- Total Installed Ram
- GPU model

Also any impressions you could give on general performance navigating the OS if possible but the specs would be great!

Thanks!

#3 ·
Alright alright alright

We're going to need blooming impressions such as on a credit screen or anything with darks and whites, such as nighttime shots over a city. And if you could get a zone count. Hook up pc if you can and just move a mouse cursor over a full screen black image.

For this test best to turn xtended dynamic range up high with local dimming on high as this will simulate hdr blooming.

The thing most people are waiting on is how the Slim Backlight Drive works in practice and if the blocky grid blooming still exists. Don't be afraid to crank the backlight up to test this out.

#5 ·
Ok will do getting little one situated and then I will setup and try to get as much info as possible.

#10 ·
Lol, I will say this they packed this thing like I have never seen. They treat must be worried about breakage. I got it on the stand and powered up working on setup now.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

#11 · (Edited)

Attachments

#14 ·
OK I am sorry but not allot I can get done tonight. I have not got setup to my liking as of yet but my initial thoughts are below.

Blacks are good but not OLED like

A little blooming in the corners

Colors are great

Motion is as good or better than any thing I have seen

Local Dimming set to high and still see some blooming but I still do not have everything setup like I like and I am sure some things will be better when I finish setting up.

Any suggestions for starting settings let me know, as I want have to put meter on it until late weekend if then.

#19 ·
Yes a little in one corner.

Colors are amazing as always with Sony.

#22 ·
No clue just used the app that was posted and it gave information.

#25 ·
I have had the TV since Saturday and although I like it coming from a Panasonic ST60 not everything is perfect. For example blooming is very noticeable mostly when changing the channel the white lines that appear on the screen are difficult for the local dimming to get right. I will say I cannot remember seeing any blooming in real content only when putting up a black screen and putting something white on the background.

This is my first LCD and if I turn off auto dimming all together there is some flashlighting in the corners that go away if I change my position in the room. But even if Im dead on in a dark room I can see the corners are brighter. This issue has also been undetected with real content so far. Is this normal?

I have linked 3 pics the one with the cloudy corners is with local dimming turned off in a pitch black room.

http://imgur.com/a/2Oat7

#37 · (Edited)
I would for sure rather have the 940c or 940d over the 930d because of fald.

I also miss the speakers, they sounded really well and this one sounds meh.

#42 ·
Well even this Sony does not like to stream MKV's it keeps freezing/locking up after starting and I have to unplug tv to get it back to responding.

#48 ·
Blocky like blooming, but as stated not had time to get all setup yet. I am sure some settings will make it better. Also no system updates yet either.

#53 · (Edited)
thread title updated: first member that receives 940D can start owners thread

Please note thread title has been edited to add no price talk: no price talk in this owners thread please

#55 ·
#61 ·
According to the director of Crutchfield who handles the television department over there, he was quoted by his Sony guy that they should be getting th 55X930D in around March 21st and I should hopefully get my pre-order by March 27th. I plan on waiting any ways because even if other sites get theirs in stock earlier because he informed my over the phone that Sony will be doing a $1,000 rebate at the time and that in April Sony will offer another $100 rebate which he said they will credit to my account. So not sure if anyone will get the 55X930D early but Crutchfield said that was a solid date from their Sony rep, hope that helps.

Glad to see that the few owners are enjoying the television so far. Pictures look great and I can't wait to get mine in and setup and I'll be sure to post pictures.

#57 ·
In all honesty, I think it's pointless to worry about Dolby Vision for 2016. If you want DV then you should just wait until all the pieces are there to support it. All we have to work with in content production and hardware chain is HDR10. That's just the reality of the available products.

#60 ·
LG, Philips, and TLC are releasing TV's with DV for 2016, Philip's new blu ray with have DV, NetFlix will support DV, and and major studios are releasing 4k Ultra HD blu ray content. I don't think its completely pointless to have DV has check box when considering a TV.

#58 ·
It was a big deal to me. Since Sony did not want DV included, I went with the smaller X930D for now. The X940 is a lot of money to not include DV. Too bad. Next year when DV is readily available and Sony still does not have it, then I will reluctantly get a 75 in Samsung curve if I have to.

Reactions: dr0z77