AVS Forum banner

2301 - 2320 of 13317 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
What does that mean? I output in native mode, preferring to let the TV do the upscaling.
I have FIOS. On my set top box, it can be set to 1080i, 720p, 480p, and even 480i. Do not know how the Direct TV set top boxes are. I have mine set to 1080i

·
** Man of Leisure **
22,906 Posts
I have FIOS. On my set top box, it can be set to 1080i, 720p, 480p, and even 480i. Do not know how the Direct TV set top boxes are. I have mine set to 1080i
On a DirecTV box, "native" means to pass the signal without applying any up-scaling. Given the quality of the average DTV DVR, or FIOS set top box, allowing the TV to upscale is normally the better option. Sounds like that is not an option on the FIOS equipment, so 1080i is probably a good setting. Since the OP has DirecTV, my recommendation is still to use Native.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
On a DirecTV box, "native" means to pass the signal without applying any up-scaling. Given the quality of the average DTV DVR, or FIOS set top box, allowing the TV to upscale is normally the better option. Sounds like that is not an option on the FIOS equipment, so 1080i is probably a good setting. Since the OP has DirecTV, my recommendation is still to use Native.
Yep, no native setting for FIOS Jerry, wish there was. Would just let the 940D upscale everything. The equipment is so out of date it's not even funny. Now we were just changed over to Frontier since April. There have not even been any mention of anything 4K from them.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Alright guys! :D

I am officially a proud owner of this magnificent set! Geek Squad came in and installed the TV on the wall using Sony's official mount, I highly recommend this mount, even the technicians were impressed by how easy it was to install

So far I did not notice any problems with the TV, I noticed slight vertical lines when scrolling through the home screen on white background app icons, but other than that everything looks great!

Any recommendation on settings to use for DirecTV/Satellite? everything looks great except for TV channels, cant see any improvement for 4K up-scaling and looks washed out!

Thanks!!
Welcome to the club. As others have mentioned, set the DirecTv box to output in native mode so the display can do the up scaling. Then take a look in AustinJerry's signature a couple posts above for his display settings. They make a HUGE difference IMO. At least they did on my display. Night and day difference over the default picture settings in every regard!

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Can this TV's internal video app stream a h.265 codec movie from a NAS? I use h.265 to compress all my blu rays as it saves space and keeps the quality good.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Essoman's calibrated settings from AVForums:

"Picture Mode: Cinema Home for Night

Brightness: 13
Contrast: 96
Gamma: -2
Black Level: 50
Black Adjust: Off
Adv. Contrast enhancer: Off
Auto Local Dimming: Low
X-tended Dynamic Range: Off
Colour: 50
Hue: 0
Colour Temperature: Expert 1
2 Point White Balance:
Red Gain: -5
Green Gain: -4
Blue Gain: Max
Red Bias: 4
Green Bias: 0
Blue Bias: -3
10 Point White Balance
1: R0, G0, B0
2: R0, G0, B0
3: R0, G0, B1
4: R0, G0, B0
5: R0, G0, R0
6: R0, G0, B0
7: R0, G0, B0
8: R-2, G-2, B-2
9: R-4, G-4, B-4
10: R-4, G0, B0
Colour Space: Auto
Live Colour: Off
Sharpness: 50
Reality Creation: Off
Random Noise Reduction: Off
Digital Noise Reduction: Off
Motionflow: Off
Film Mode: Off

Spoke about motionflow, Jules said off is best off, and we tried lots of different settings for it and off was best."

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Contrast at 96 looks a little suspect, from everything I have seen there would be clipping of whites at that level (highest I've considered is 85). But, the white balance adjustments pull the highest whites down a bit especially in the 10 point so maybe that makes up for it, so I wouldn't rule it out as possibly being OK.

Essoman's calibrated settings from AVForums:

"Picture Mode: Cinema Home for Night

Brightness: 13
Contrast: 96
Gamma: -2
Black Level: 50
Black Adjust: Off
Adv. Contrast enhancer: Off
Auto Local Dimming: Low
X-tended Dynamic Range: Off
Colour: 50
Hue: 0
Colour Temperature: Expert 1
2 Point White Balance:
Red Gain: -5
Green Gain: -4
Blue Gain: Max
Red Bias: 4
Green Bias: 0
Blue Bias: -3
10 Point White Balance
1: R0, G0, B0
2: R0, G0, B0
3: R0, G0, B1
4: R0, G0, B0
5: R0, G0, R0
6: R0, G0, B0
7: R0, G0, B0
8: R-2, G-2, B-2
9: R-4, G-4, B-4
10: R-4, G0, B0
Colour Space: Auto
Live Colour: Off
Sharpness: 50
Reality Creation: Off
Random Noise Reduction: Off
Digital Noise Reduction: Off
Motionflow: Off
Film Mode: Off

Spoke about motionflow, Jules said off is best off, and we tried lots of different settings for it and off was best."

·
Registered
98 Posts
Ethernet is two-way, I mean, it has to be able to both send and receive data, that's the whole point. I'm with you in being a bit confused about how a device could crash the whole network though.

I suppose something could broadcast a bunch of random junk packets and jam things up, but if the ethernet port on the TV is working properly, it wouldn't be doing that. An improperly made cable with crossed wires or improper termination might cause problems, but with Amazon Basics ethernet cables being so cheap, I have no reason to build my own.
Sorry, I don't know what I was thinking, of course ethernet is 2 way, I use it every day to transfer data between my computers on my network. Still I can't see how it would crash a network from a TV- I don't think the TV is transmitting across the network, at least not in my system. Improper cables, maybe a short, that I could see- never had a problem with Amazon cables, in fact they're better than Monster cables which are 50X more expensive. i HAVE had monster HDMI cables go bad, go figure.

·
Super Moderator
21,315 Posts
^^^

a TV can crash a network if there is an IP conflict

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Contrast at 96 looks a little suspect, from everything I have seen there would be clipping of whites at that level (highest I've considered is 85). But, the white balance adjustments pull the highest whites down a bit especially in the 10 point so maybe that makes up for it, so I wouldn't rule it out as possibly being OK.
On the 940C, 88 seems to be the sweet spot.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Has anyone gotten Dolby Digital PLUS when running the optical out from the Netflix App to your AVR? Also has anyone had any lip synch issues when using the optical out with any of the Apps? 2 weeks til I pull the trigger on the 940D- I'm excited!

·
Registered
98 Posts
^^^

a TV can crash a network if there is an IP conflict
How would one know if there's an IP conflict and how would one fix it? I have Ethernet cables running from 2 hubs to multiple DVD players, dish box, AVR, Roku, Apple TV, Amazon fire, occasionally a laptop, as well as 2 macs and a PC- never a problem. Plug and play.

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
Kbadone
What D* receiver are you using. I have the HR54 with a C61K client and the tv does the upscaling except for the 4k channel. I love the picture I have

Reactions: Bigmoviefan

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
How would one know if there's an IP conflict and how would one fix it? I have Ethernet cables running from 2 hubs to multiple DVD players, dish box, AVR, Roku, Apple TV, Amazon fire, occasionally a laptop, as well as 2 macs and a PC- never a problem. Plug and play.
You can reserve an IP on your router for the TV (enter the MAC address). You will need to reboot the TV, but it may fix it. If the IP conflict is the issue, the TV will no longer cause it to crash the network (unless there is another conflict).

·
Super Moderator
21,315 Posts
there is a free app called Fing you can run on an IOS or Android device: it will show you every device that is on your network: wired and wireless, and will indicate if there is an IP conflict: i.e. 2 devices are trying to use the same IP address

If your 940D is set for DHCP, it selects an IP address that it sees is available: but that address could be in use by another device that happens to be off or out of range at the time: easy to fix by selecting a static IP address outside of the DHCP range of your router (if you prefer to leave the Sony DHCP, you can set a DHCP reservation in your router)

·
Super Moderator
21,315 Posts
question about Samsung UBD K8500:

when I set deep color to auto in the Samsung menu I sometimes lose the picture on the Sony

is anyone using deep color auto setting on the Samsung? the Sony input is set to enhanced HDMI

·
Vendor
26,667 Posts
No mention of FALD zones...was only curious as to what settings were being used when the previously mentioned NITs were measured. And while this "brightness" topic regarding the 940c/940d has likely been thoroughly beaten to death as well, it's nice to know what other owners are getting in regards to that with their particularly sets and settings.
The past dictates that more is better.........

·
Registered
98 Posts
there is a free app called Fing you can run on an IOS or Android device: install the app and run it: it will show you every device that is on your network: wired and wireless, and will indicate if there is an IP conflict: i.e. 2 devices are trying to use the same IP address

If your 940D is set for DHCP, it selects an IP address that it sees is available: but that address could be in use by another device that happens to be off at the time: very common situation: and easy to fix by selecting a static IP address outside of the DHCP range of your router (if you prefer to leave the Sony DHCP, you can set a DHCP reservation in your router)
Thank you for this info! Hopefully I won't have a problem but if I do I can refer back.

2301 - 2320 of 13317 Posts