AVS Forum banner

3441 - 3460 of 13317 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Anyone who has been on this forum long enough knows there is no such thing as the "perfect" TV, but at this size and this price I don't think there's anything on the market that even comes close. :cool:
And no matter what you buy, there will always be something coming out down the road that will be better!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I picked up my 940D about 48 hours ago. Coming from an ES8000, the improvement is astounding. I seem to have gotten a good one on the first try, so I won't be adding to the 'waiting on my umpteenth replacement' lines (that every owners thread here seems to have... And yes, I do put too much effort into looking for the problems too.). Thankfully, I knew going in that I needed to pick up a slightly longer HDMI cable with the 940D as the inputs are on the opposite side of the set than the previous sets and the existing cable was a couple feet too short. That could have made for a disappointing Friday night. :-}

Those scenes in Stranger Things where Eleven goes to the underside pulled me out, I was looking at the set rather than the show (new owner syndrome?). The inky black wasn't just black, there are ripples on the surface she is on. That she could be so bright and keep the blackness even at the edge of her image was impressive. The detail in that blackness that could have been so easily crushed was at least a happy reason to get pulled out. The title sequences for the show, with the red letters sliding and shrinking into place on the black background also had me looking more at the set than the show (I guess the title sequences are part of the show technically, don't care enough about it to debate the topic though). So even though I was pulled out, the result was a 'Darn, am I glad I bought this set' response so probably a good thing after all. The paying too much attention to the set itself fades over time as confidence in it grows, thankfully.

As to the reflectiveness, it isn't a big problem when the set is in use. I have an LED bulb over my kitchen table, which is about 30 degrees off and 25 feet away. I can see the table and anything on it very clearly when the set is off. But in use, even during those aforementioned black screens in the previous paragraph, that disappears. Much of the wall to the right of the screen is a large window, covered with aluminum blinds. Even during the day I have not had a problem with reflections from that. As always, your mileage may vary, but the gloss doesn't seem to be a problem with this set. I have had a set with horrible gloss problems (older Samsung, LNT4671FX (different room of the house, size was appropriate for that)), I know the aggravation of it.

So add one more to the 'very happy with the 940D' column. So far, this set is surpassing my expectations and that is a pleasant surprise.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you want a good test for the 940D's black levels in a completely light controlled room then watch Stranger Things on Netflix. A few episodes in there are some amazing shots where the main object gets smaller and smaller as a black void surrounds it (her). For those looking for a 75" T.V. or larger without spending a fortune this T.V. is amazing.

If you want and expect perfection then look somewhere else. If you want a fantastic T.V. for a relatively affordable price then IMO the 940D is the best bang for the buck around. It performs well above its pay grade.
Funny you should say that just watched episodes 5 and 6 myself and know exactly the scenes you're talking about, I just sat here shaking my head as I couldn't believe what I was seeing actually, absolutely stunning, an LED tv shouldn't be able to do what this tv did during those scenes, unbelievable really. Still loving this tv :)

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
467 Posts
Hey All,

I've been reading this forum for a while and it convinced me to go for the 940D vs the LG OLED TV. Thanks for all of the great input :). I've really been enjoying the TV except for one thing. I just can't seem to get anything but stereo audio out of the TV to my sound bar. I have a Vizio S5451w-C2 5.1 surround sound sound bar. At first I thought it was because I was utilizing the HDMI-ARC, so I went and bought an amazon basics optical cable and tried using that but I get the same results. I tried auto 1, auto 2, and PCM from a TV setting perspective all with the same results.

In order to test the 5.1, I plugged my laptop via an HDMI cable to the TV and tried playing the windows sound configuration for 5.1 to test it out. I always get stereo sound. When I plug the laptop into the soundbar directly and do the same thing, I do get 5.1 sound, so I know that the laptop is outputting the right sound. I also tried using the built in youtube app to stream a 5.1 sound test video and got the same results. I tried this with both the HDMI-ARC path as well as the optical path. Ultimately, my goal is trying to get the 5.1 sound out of my PS4, using the ARC or Optical output of the TV.

I also bought an amazon fire TV just so I could get 5.1 sound from amazon prime as well, but now I am worried that despite that I won't be able to get any 5.1 sound out of this TV without buying a receiver (which I'm reluctant to do because its another couple of hundred $$s on top of the cost of this TV).

I tried calling Sony support for help but they were no help at all and just said its the soundbars fault.

Does anyone on here have any ideas on what I may be doing wrong? Or am I stuck with just not getting 5.1 sound out of this TV and having to go buy an alternate solution. If I absolutely have to go down an alternate solution path, does anyone have any suggestions on something that is cost effective that I could go buy?

Thanks for your help.

Sunil
First you need to make sure the TV speakers is set to "Audio system".

Second you need to make sure the audio format is either Dolby Digital or DTS. Those are the only multi-channel formats that can pass.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
So is this basically the same as the x940c with no speakers and a different stand?

I'm not sure if anyone is absolutely sure about this, but I can tell you the 940c doesn't have HDR. Once you've seen HDR the extra money for the 940D is well worth it.

·
Registered
21,194 Posts
I'm not sure if anyone is absolutely sure about this, but I can tell you the 940c doesn't have HDR. Once you've seen HDR the extra money for the 940D is well worth it.
Although the 940C did not have 4K HDR to begin with, it is my understanding that Sony later added it with a firmware update. That said, I am buying the 940D anyway. The big heavy speakers on the 940C would be a hindrance for me. I use my 7.1 audio system exclusively and the extra weight of the 940C's speakers would make mounting it In my home theater much more complicated than mounting the 940D will be.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have a quick issue with the combo of this new tv, my denon 1912 receiver, and trying to get it to work with a harmony 650 remote properly....Basically I have my DTV box optical straight to my AVR for 5.1 because i was getting some small dropouts using ARC for the DTV box. All other things I have going thru the tv for ARC. Therefore I use the AVR's SAT mode that has the optical in linked to it for my DTV box and I use the "TV" mode for everything else that uses ARC (including the sony included apps). When I programmed my remote for "watch tv" button I had my tv turn on and to hdmi 1, the DTV box on, and the AVR on and to "SAT" mode....The problem is that most of the time everything turns on and the AVR turns to SAT but then 2 secs later switches to "TV" mode (the mode that works with ARC). I then have to hit the watch tv button 1 more time to get the AVR mode to stick on "SAT". Is the reason it continues to want to turn to TV mode is due to the ARC hdmi control of some sort? I didn't know where else to ask this....it is a constant issue and I'm not sure if it has to do with the hdmi control mode on the Denon or if it has to do with the remote....

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I have a quick issue with the combo of this new tv, my denon 1912 receiver, and trying to get it to work with a harmony 650 remote properly....Basically I have my DTV box optical straight to my AVR for 5.1 because i was getting some small dropouts using ARC for the DTV box. All other things I have going thru the tv for ARC. Therefore I use the AVR's SAT mode that has the optical in linked to it for my DTV box and I use the "TV" mode for everything else that uses ARC (including the sony included apps). When I programmed my remote for "watch tv" button I had my tv turn on and to hdmi 1, the DTV box on, and the AVR on and to "SAT" mode....The problem is that most of the time everything turns on and the AVR turns to SAT but then 2 secs later switches to "TV" mode (the mode that works with ARC). I then have to hit the watch tv button 1 more time to get the AVR mode to stick on "SAT". Is the reason it continues to want to turn to TV mode is due to the ARC hdmi control of some sort? I didn't know where else to ask this....it is a constant issue and I'm not sure if it has to do with the hdmi control mode on the Denon or if it has to do with the remote....
It could be your remote but it is probably HDMI-CEC being "helpful". The problem is that many modern devices don't let you have ARC without HDMI-CEC which is annoying if you have a control solution in place.

The simplest solution is to turn HDMI-CEC off on the receiver and Bravia sync off on the TV and run an optical cable from the TV to the receiver.

·
Registered
21,194 Posts
The X940C does support HDR.
Apparently there is a difference between HDR and 4K HDR. A comparison some outfit did of the similarities and differences in the 940D and 940C leaves the issue unclear. Can somebody here clear it up?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
The X940C does support HDR.
Yeah I thought so because I am pretty sure one of the times I saw the x940c in a Magnolia BB they guy said they had it playing HDR content. Either way HDR or no HDR I think the x940c is the best looking LCD I have ever seen. I have not yet seen the d.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Apparently there is a difference between HDR and 4K HDR. A comparison some outfit did of the similarities and differences in the 940D and 940C leaves the issue unclear. Can somebody here clear it up?
That is one those click-bait fake review sites. I would disregard it. If you read carefully you can note it only discusses specs and the writers generally haven't even seen the TVs.

The X940C absolutely does HDR. I own one, I have watched 4K HDR content on it.

·
Registered
21,194 Posts
That is one those click-bait fake review sites. I would disregard it. If you read carefully you can note it only discusses specs and the writers generally haven't even seen the TVs.

The X940C absolutely does HDR. I own one, I have watched 4K HDR content on it.
Thanks. It appears that the 940C would be a good bet, particularly for those who would benefit from its excellent audio system and would not be put off by its weight. Alas, that's not me.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
940c is brighter and has more zones. I'm almost positive it got an HDR update.

·
Registered
21,194 Posts
Where has it been shown that the 940C is brighter?
You beat me to it. Everything I have seen has indicated that the two sets are identical in number of zones and overall brightness.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Pro reviews and members on these forums have done measurements. 940D is usually in the 700-800 nit range. 940c in the 900-1000 nit range.

3441 - 3460 of 13317 Posts