AVS Forum banner

3481 - 3500 of 13317 Posts

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
So, Steve, can you give us any insights WRT settings that should be different while watching HDR content?
I'm not sure what i may have changed other than making sure I was using the Expert 1 grayscale and making sure any motion stuff was off. Other than that I am probably going with the defaults or any suggestions you may have made in your settings document ;-)

·
** Man of Leisure **
22,897 Posts
I'm not sure what i may have changed other than making sure I was using the Expert 1 grayscale and making sure any motion stuff was off. Other than that I am probably going with the defaults or any suggestions you may have made in your settings document ;-)
I didn't make any changes to the default HDR picture mode. It automatically sets backlight and contrast to max, and sets X-tended Dynamic Range to max, but since I have yet to actually see any HDR content, I can't tell if these settings are appropriate. I am still waiting before I purchase a UHD player, so all I have is the couple of Netflix programs that say they are HDR.

AVS has featured a couple of Scott Wilkerson videos on HDR calibration, but I haven't had a chance to view them yet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Are you sure the HDMI cable is HCP2.2 compliant. You will need that for the ARC HDMI out of the TV? I use the optical out of the TV and it goes to my reciever and I have no problem getting DD5.1 from the native apps, directv box and roku box that are all plugged directly into the TV.
Do you really need hdcp 2.2 for arc? I don't think my cables are. I think they are 1.4 or something. I didn't realize that. I suppose I can go buy some 2.2 compliant cables and try again. I figured since I wasn't paying video through the cable it wouldn't matter that the cables are older.

Thanks for responding.

Sunil

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Do you really need hdcp 2.2 for arc? I don't think my cables are. I think they are 1.4 or something. I didn't realize that. I suppose I can go buy some 2.2 compliant cables and try again. I figured since I wasn't paying video through the cable it wouldn't matter that the cables are older.

Thanks for responding.

Sunil
You do not. In the first place, there is no such thing as HDCP 2.2 cables.

Putting that aside, ARC was introduced in HDMI 1.4 and even at the time it was backwards compatible with older cables.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just purchased the 940d and have the issue of the corners being dark. I've attached a picture using a solid grey screen I found on youtube but I also notice the dark corners when watching normal programming. Those of you with the 940D please let me know if you have this same issue or if your corners are not dark at all. If they are not dark can you please upload a directly center picture of your grey screen. Thanks.

Attachments

·
** Man of Leisure **
22,897 Posts
I just purchased the 940d and have the issue of the corners being dark. I've attached a picture using a solid grey screen I found on youtube but I also notice the dark corners when watching normal programming. Those of you with the 940D please let me know if you have this same issue or if your corners are not dark at all. If they are not dark can you please upload a directly center picture of your grey screen. Thanks.
You may be more particular than I am, but I don't think that is very bad, and not very different than my set. I don't notice the issue during normal programming.

·
Vendor
26,657 Posts
Anyone that is moving from a 60" Kuro to a 940 series Sony is going to be very impressed with the tv. The picture is sharper, brighter and the blacks just as inky. With a picture like that at 75" there is no equal besides the 77" OLED at 25k.
Yep, no question........well said.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes, mine has it as well but can't really tell its an issue when watching actual programming. All the 4k content is brilliant and even upscaled content from Direct TV it is really hard to pick up. So agree with previous post. Doesn't seem to be an issue with real world viewing for me but you may be more sensitive to it.

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
Anyone that is moving from a 60" Kuro to a 940 series Sony is going to be very impressed with the tv. The picture is sharper, brighter and the blacks just as inky. With a picture like that at 75" there is no equal besides the 77" OLED at 25k.
Yep, no question........well said.
I agree, except I would add that the BLACKS ARE BETTER. I don't mean to repeat myself, but my PRO-151 KURO Elite still had "dark gray bars" during very dark scenes in letter-boxed movies. Not so with the 940D; they remain PITCH BLACK. I'm surprised other ex-KURO owners haven't observed the same thing and then commented on this. To me it's a very important difference.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've got a thunder fly (thrip) in my 940D and it's on the move, last night it was on the left hand side about half way down the screen now it's on the top right and still moving. Not happy but what can you do, it's like an act of God so I can't imagine it being covered by warranty. This is the 3rd TV this has happened to, in summer when it gets hot these little buggers come out and seem to take a liking to the inside of my tv's, really annoying ;(

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Have you guys had issues playing HDR content from YouTube where the picture freezes (and does not restart) but the audio continues? I had this happen with 2 HDR videos. One was Transformers the other was the Sony sushi video. Any suggestions to fix it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
All That Jazz
1,176 Posts
I agree, except I would add that the BLACKS ARE BETTER. I don't mean to repeat myself, but my PRO-151 KURO Elite still had "dark gray bars" during very dark scenes in letter-boxed movies. Not so with the 940D; they remain PITCH BLACK. I'm surprised other ex-KURO owners haven't observed the same thing and then commented on this. To me it's a very important difference.
I also recently moved from a 151 Kuro Elite to a 940D and like you find that the 940 has better blacks than my Kuro. My Kuro also displayed dark grey bars in letter boxed movies unlike my 940D which competes quite nicely with the LG EF9500 OLED which I have in my vacation home. BTW, I watch the 940D in a completely dark room with black out curtains.

Reactions: mnc and djoberg

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I have the black corners, you can't see them at all when viewing any content, not an issue at all.

·
** Man of Leisure **
22,897 Posts
OK, here is the gray screen shot you requested:

And where are the dark corners in this typical screen shot?

Rich blacks:

Completely black bars (but who is looking at the bars...)

Picture of Sony FMP-X10 player (poor man's Kaleidescape Strato $500 vs. $4,500):

More screenshots posted earlier: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/2394522-official-2016-sony-xbr75-x940d-owners-thread-no-price-talk-please-71.html#post44348521

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
I also recently moved from a 151 Kuro Elite to a 940D and like you find that the 940 has better blacks than my Kuro. My Kuro also displayed dark grey bars in letter boxed movies unlike my 940D which competes quite nicely with the LG EF9500 OLED which I have in my vacation home. BTW, I watch the 940D in a completely dark room with black out curtains.
Thanks for the post! I've got to believe there are quite a few KURO owners experiencing the same thing.

BTW, I also have the 940D in a light-controlled environment...one window with a room-darkening shade.

·
Registered
47 Posts
@Craig Gordon

In addition to the suggestions by Steve, the Color Temp setting of Neutral caught my attention. A setting of Expert1 is much closer to the 6500K target.

@Cheezmo

I agree with both of you. I am just getting used to the set, and the proper settings. When I first put in these settings, I was watching episode 9 of thrones, last scene. I was trying to suck out as much detail in the blacks as possible without ruining them. I realize now it was just the source, and not the Sony. Still playing with settings. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
42 Posts
This may be a bit off-topic but would there be any problems caused by putting a 940D on a stand that is 60" wide? Each side of the TV would extend about 3" beyond the edge. The same stand I am looking at is also available in a 72" model. While I have "enough" space for it to fit in the room, it would be more crowded than I would like.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
You do not. In the first place, there is no such thing as HDCP 2.2 cables.

Putting that aside, ARC was introduced in HDMI 1.4 and even at the time it was backwards compatible with older cables.
Right, I have ARC working with my 930D and a Denon 3312ci (which was the first to support ARC, I believe as I have a 3310ci that doesn't). Whatever old HDMI cables I had hooked up since I got the Denon.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
This may be a bit off-topic but would there be any problems caused by putting a 940D on a stand that is 60" wide? Each side of the TV would extend about 3" beyond the edge. The same stand I am looking at is also available in a 72" model. While I have "enough" space for it to fit in the room, it would be more crowded than I would like.
The TV stand is only 2-3 feet wide so no issue with how wide the table is that it is sitting on. Mine sticks out about 3 inches on each side too.

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
My stand is only 58" wide and the display sticks out a few inches on each side (see my Avatar). It actually looks very good...better than if I had a 72" stand like the one you're considering.

3481 - 3500 of 13317 Posts