AVS Forum banner

3501 - 3520 of 13317 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
My stand is only 58" wide and the display sticks out a few inches on each side (see my Avatar). It actually looks very good...better than if I had a 72" stand like the one you're considering.
Thanks. Is 30" about the right height for a stand with this TV when watching from a seated position? I've always been told that the ideal height is for your eyes to be in line with the middle of the screen from your normal viewing position.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Sony "z" series announced today

Even trumps the technology of our x940d. Available this summer.
65" and 75" $6k and $10k.
Why would they announce an even higher end TV so close to the intro of ours? Pisses me off.

·
** Man of Leisure **
22,950 Posts
Thanks. Is 30" about the right height for a stand with this TV when watching from a seated position? I've always been told that the ideal height is for your eyes to be in line with the middle of the screen from your normal viewing position.
The height is especially important for 3D viewing, if you do any of that. And the guideline you mention is a good one.

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
My stand is 22" high and my eyes are right in line with the center of the screen. 30" seems a bit high and would force you to tilt your head back a bit. But I've seen members with it mounted on a wall higher than that, so you should be okay.

·
Registered
17,091 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Okay ... going to to BB tomorrow and trading my 75X850D (3 weeks old) up to the 75X940D. Will I see a noticeable difference in the upgrade? Is the 3D decent on the 940D? Seeing that Z series up just now. I'd have to join the NBA to get the 75". :eek:

·
Registered
21,194 Posts

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Okay ... going to to BB tomorrow and trading my 75X850D (3 weeks old) up to the 75X940D. Will I see a noticeable difference in the upgrade? Is the 3D decent on the 940D? Seeing that Z series up just now. I'd have to join the NBA to get the 75". :eek:

IPS vs. VA panel, the X940D should have better and deeper blacks, but the 850D will have better viewing angles.

·
Registered
21,194 Posts
Ten Thousand for the 75" !!😳 no thank you!
As crazy as $10K is for the new Sony 4k HDR, its not as nuts as $25K for the LG 77 inch OLED. Yikes!

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
The Z Series sounds impressive indeed! However, as I was reading about the new "dimming" technology (which controls EACH LED instead of ZONES) which boasts of "deeper blacks," I couldn't help but think, "How much deeper can the blacks get?" I mean really, I'm so impressed right now with the deep blacks on the 940D that it's hard to imagine them getting that much deeper.

I'm with Bigmoviefan; at 10K (or possibly 7-8 retail)....no thanks!

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
As crazy as $10K is for the new Sony 4k HDR, its not as nuts as $25K for the LG 77 inch OLED. Yikes!
The 77" OLED is over top expensive! I am thinking LG does not plan on selling many at that price ! I wonder if the new Z series Sony is about 5% better? My guess is it is about in that range, Aprox. You will see some improvement but you wonder if it is worth it! But speakers can be like that too! You can pay thousand for that extra 5 to 10% better sound! And I have done that! 😳

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
The Z Series sounds impressive indeed! However, as I was reading about the new "dimming" technology (which controls EACH LED instead of ZONES) which boasts of "deeper blacks," I couldn't help but think, "How much deeper can the blacks get?" I mean really, I'm so impressed right now with the deep blacks on the 940D that it's hard to imagine them getting that much deeper.!
They still are not as dark as OLED blacks; LCD technology cannot block 100% of the light so they never can be unless the backlight is completely turned off.

That can be done zone by zone on the 940D but clouding still results.

·
Registered
137 Posts
This may be a bit off-topic but would there be any problems caused by putting a 940D on a stand that is 60" wide? Each side of the TV would extend about 3" beyond the edge. The same stand I am looking at is also available in a 72" model. While I have "enough" space for it to fit in the room, it would be more crowded than I would like.
Mine is in a 48" table so no issues. Table just needs to be able to support the TV weight. Also safety should be considered if you have kidz if someone could go on the side of it. thats not an issue for me though.
I've said before i really like this stand for the size of the TV. I really don't care for wall mounts and have only one in the dungeon (i.e. basement) exercise area which is an older 65" panny plasma.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
137 Posts
I just purchased the 940d and have the issue of the corners being dark. I've attached a picture using a solid grey screen I found on youtube but I also notice the dark corners when watching normal programming. Those of you with the 940D please let me know if you have this same issue or if your corners are not dark at all. If they are not dark can you please upload a directly center picture of your grey screen. Thanks.
Mine is like that but can't tell with normal content playing or at least i don't notice it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
With respect to black levels there's the old law of diminishing returns, which kicks in at different levels for different people. If the 77" OLED was $10,000 then pretty much everyone in the market for a top-notch T.V. would purchase one. Raise the price to $15,000 and some drop out and buy Sony and Samsung T.V.s. Raise it to $20,000 and now there's very few left to purchase it. At $25,000 there's hardly anyone that would consider it and the Sony and Samsung are basically the only game in town for most consumers. Now it's a trade off between the size of the 65" OLED and the blacks of the 940D -- you can't have both the best blacks and 75 inches. Are you willing to give up some on the "black" front for the extra 10"? The real question facing the consumer is -- just how much am I giving up for the 10". For most here it wasn't all that much.

·
Registered
137 Posts
3501 - 3520 of 13317 Posts