AVS Forum banner

7001 - 7020 of 13326 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
The 940D is not even getting any of the DV or HLG updates thru firmware.

------

Plus ours is not getting any more of the HLG and WCG updates.
Is this confirmed? I just had my 940D delivered on 12/28. Hoping we might have a shot a FW update.

EDIT: I guess DV requires a chip, so FW is out and I doubt there'd be a hardware upgrade option :-/

·
Registered
538 Posts
Is this confirmed? I just had my 940D delivered on 12/28. Hoping we might have a shot a FW update.

EDIT: I guess DV requires a chip, so FW is out and I doubt there'd be a hardware upgrade option :-/
That is my understanding. As I mentioned on the Pano player thread, I have zero lust for a lower light output new OLED (one reason I went with 940D) but if 940E was available for the same price right now I'd do it....but I think we know the E is going to be a lot more....and availability unknown.

BBJBBJB

·
Registered
187 Posts
That is my understanding. As I mentioned on the Pano player thread, I have zero lust for a lower light output new OLED (one reason I went with 940D) but if 940E was available for the same price right now I'd do it....but I think we know the E is going to be a lot more....and availability unknown.

BBJBBJB
You know ... honestly ... I've never seen a better picture than my 940D. It's the closest thing to being in a movie theater that I've had in my own house. 4K is just killer. The technology really is amazing. What I'd like to see is larger screen sizes (85-100 inchers) in this price range.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
538 Posts
I only made two changes to Jerry's settings and that was to turn Motionflow to Smooth (Standard gave me some stuttering, and I get no darkening with Smooth) and Cinemotion on low (med and high give me too much SOE). Just looks a bit smoother to me on 24p content.
This is my fourth Sony and every time I need to research their nomenclature to figure out what setting does what for 24p and SOE. I wish I had the links but I spent a ton of time researching this weeks ago. I don't like the SOE but like smooth 24p. My reading and eyes tell me Motionflow set to True Cinema and Cinemotion set to high gives good 24p playback without darkening or SOE on non 24p content. I am open to a better explanation but that's what I've been using. Although putting any processing on "high" freaks me out! 😀

BJBBJB

·
Registered
17,092 Posts
I don't get the hype over dolby vision from the reviews I have seen. Are most people on a quest for the latest grestest?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The biggest deal with dolby vision to me is its own personalized tone mapping ability. For tvs that can't display hdr10 fully and clip the image, DolbyVision will adjust to the display and all the detail and highlights are properly shown but In a "dumbed down" sort of way. For example, a 400 nit tv will clip a scene with a bright sun, itll show up as a large blob of white. With dolby vision, itll tone map and the blob becomes a perfectly defined sun with color and we'll defined beams of light coming off the circle.

·
Registered
642 Posts
This is my fourth Sony and every time I need to research their nomenclature to figure out what setting does what for 24p and SOE. I wish I had the links but I spent a ton of time researching this weeks ago. I don't like the SOE but like smooth 24p. My reading and eyes tell me Motionflow set to True Cinema and Cinemotion set to high gives good 24p playback without darkening or SOE on non 24p content. I am open to a better explanation but that's what I've been using. Although putting any processing on "high" freaks me out! 😀

BJBBJB
I also use True Cinema and Cinemotion on High. No bad SOE effect, no trails, smearing etc. It works on all materials (TV, Video, UHD, 24p). It was the recommended settings from a couple of reviews on the 940D. Using it with AJ settings with brightness at 40 and a couple of tweaks, but kept AJ color settings settings..

"True Cinema mode which increases the frame rate without introducing interpolation, thus retaining a film-like quality to motion"

·
Registered
73 Posts
Seems a lot of people are going with AJ's colour settings but tweaking other elements.

I'm running 100% AJ's settings and find them perfect for dark room (late night) viewing.

I'm yet to work out some modification of AJ's settings for early evening (it's still light here until 8PM atm) and daytime viewing.

I might just flick Gamma up from -2 to 0 and backlight from 35-40 during those occasions?

Also, i'll give True Motion / High a go, presently running Standard / High.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I am having problem with 940d sound cuts out with Roku 3 streaming. The sound cuts out randomly from milliseconds to a second, it happened for a week now. The 940d is a little a month old. Both the 940d and roku is up to date with firmware. I have xfinity and netgear x6 router about 15 ft from the tv. The sound cuts out seem to be more frequently when connected to xfinity modem wifi. The problem seems to go away when disconnect tv from wifi. Anyone else having this issue or a fix?

·
Registered
485 Posts

BJBBJB
I've been using MOTIONFLOW: TRUE CINEMA / CINEMOTION: HIGH since owning the Sony XBR-70X850B and never had any issues w/ any content. If you've ever visited the "Official" 2014 Sony XBR-49X850B / XBR-55X850B / XBR-65X850B / XBR-70X850B Thread", a lot of owners were using that configuration and I believe it was actually "recommended." When I took delivery of my Sony XBR-75X940D, I made sure my settings reflected MOTIONFLOW: TRUE CINEMA / CINEMOTION: HIGH. I don't think I've ever tried anything else as I've been happy with the results. :)

Just my two cents ;)

·
Registered
319 Posts
I am having problem with 940d sound cuts out with Roku 3 streaming. The sound cuts out randomly from milliseconds to a second, it happened for a week now. The 940d is a little a month old. Both the 940d and roku is up to date with firmware. I have xfinity and netgear x6 router about 15 ft from the tv. The sound cuts out seem to be more frequently when connected to xfinity modem wifi. The problem seems to go away when disconnect tv from wifi. Anyone else having this issue or a fix?
The other day my internet would not work on my network even though my modem and router had all the right lights on. I remember a couple months ago reading in this thread (I think it was this one) that sometimes the 940D did wonky things to your network.

I am hardwired for internet and I pulled out the cat7 cable out of the tv and 5 seconds later my network returned.

Now I just leave the 940d cat7 cable unplugged. I plug it in once a week to look for updates then I unplug it again. I use a Roku Ultra for streaming and have a Sammy UHD 8500 for the other media.

·
Registered
12,877 Posts

BJBBJB
I also use True Cinema and Cinemotion on High. No bad SOE effect, no trails, smearing etc. It works on all materials (TV, Video, UHD, 24p). It was the recommended settings from a couple of reviews on the 940D. Using it with AJ settings with brightness at 40 and a couple of tweaks, but kept AJ color settings settings..

"True Cinema mode which increases the frame rate without introducing interpolation, thus retaining a film-like quality to motion"
I've been using MOTIONFLOW: TRUE CINEMA / CINEMOTION: HIGH since owning the Sony XBR-70X850B and never had any issues w/ any content. If you've ever visited the "Official" 2014 Sony XBR-49X850B / XBR-55X850B / XBR-65X850B / XBR-70X850B Thread", a lot of owners were using that configuration and I believe it was actually "recommended." When I took delivery of my Sony XBR-75X940D, I made sure my settings reflected MOTIONFLOW: TRUE CINEMA / CINEMOTION: HIGH. I don't think I've ever tried anything else as I've been happy with the results. :)

Just my two cents ;)
Thanks for the tips guys, gonna give MOTIONFLOW: TRUE CINEMA / CINEMOTION: HIGH a go tonight and will report back!

·
Registered
187 Posts
I just recently got the 940d myself a few days ago (bought last week before the price went back to $4300). The display is pretty stellar, but I now I need to wait for an appropriately sized tv stand comes in for it that I ordered. I'm using it on my current tv stand, though it's causing me a bit of anxiety due to its weight and how far off the sides of my current stand it hangs off.

Anyway, I have to question if anyone knows, what is the difference between having motionflow set to True Cinema vs turning it off?

Also, from the tv settings I've seen posted here, they seem to mostly refer to the pictures settings when the tv is in a normal viewing mode. I've noticed that once HDR content takes effects this uses a whole different set of settings, most of which get automatically set so you can't change them. However one setting you can change is the brightness, which defaults to MAX. I noticed that lowering this down to 15 or 20 significantly reduces the effectiveness of the HDR effect, what is everyone setting the HDR brightness setting to? After I had it on 20 and put in The Martian 4k bluray I thought everything seemed way too dark. Ended up bringing it back up to around 40, despite watching in a dark room.

ARC seems to be working well for me, was pretty simple to setup.

On other notes, Sully is definitely the most stunning 4k bluray I've watched so far (using the Oppo 4k bluray player), however I have also been particularly mesmerized by playing this demo off my Oppo:

http://demo-uhd3d.com/fiche.php?cat=uhd&id=85

That is just so freaking pretty lol.

This is my first Sony tv ever, having been a fan of Samsung tvs since forever however have been annoyed that their high end 75" still goes for $6500. Not cost effective. So far I'm extremely pleased with the Sony, I'm impressed.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Now Sony introduces a 77" OLED with DV HDR?

It's hard to keep up with Technology these days...but it's a LG panel ....wonder when Sony will make their own?:confused:

·
Registered
8 Posts
New 940d owner here. I have a question on the network connection speed this TV allows to be able to stream 4k at the best rate possible. I have a 250Mb Comcast Connection and can barely get 30Mb download out of this TV. I have tried both hard wired and wireless. I am using the Sony network test in setttings as well as the Netflix download test and both give similar results around ~27Mb

Plugging my laptop in to the same wire I get 239Mb download.

Even if the lan port on the Sony is a 100Mb - I should get higher than ~27Mb

Anyone else seeing this or able to get much higher speeds?
I'm not sure if you found a fix yet, but you might try statically setting the port on your router (the one the TV is plugged into) to 100 Full Duplex, provided your router allows you to make such a change. On occasion, some devices will not auto-negotiate the network speed correctly.

·
Registered
50 Posts
For this to work you need external speakers. The bar was annoying me too and I figured out a way to eliminate it. The good thing about this trick is when speakers are set to tv, the bar reappears, and when set back to external, the bar is gone. This only works for the volume bar. Mute still shows up. Follow these steps...

HOME

SETTINGS

scroll right to APPS

system apps and scroll right until you see OSD Application

click on OSD Application (on screen display)

scroll down to NOTIFICATIONS

select OFF

back out

come back to forum and tell me how cool I am
I tried this and it didn't work for me. I still see the OSD volume display + the one from my receiver.

I have a Marantz SR7010 w/external speakers, I connect via HDMI 4 (ARC).

·
Registered
187 Posts
I tried this and it didn't work for me. I still see the OSD volume display + the one from my receiver.

I have a Marantz SR7010 w/external speakers, I connect via HDMI 4 (ARC).
For me with ARC setup, I do see the volume bar on the tv along with it adjusting the receiver volume when I'm using a remote that is set to control the tv's volume. On my logitech remote, if the selected device is the tv, and I go change volume the volume bar appears on the tv. If I use the receiver's remote, or select the receiver on the universal remote and change volume then I get no volume bar on the tv. On the universal remote I have the volume buttons control the volume of the receiver only by default for all 'activities', though I noticed this behavior when I switched to the 'Sony TV' device to modify menu settings.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Has anyone used the PBS app on this display? I installed it and watched a few minutes of programming. If it's not in 4K, it sure looks like it is.

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,194 Posts
Has anyone used the PBS app on this display? I installed it and watched a few minutes of programming. If it's not in 4K, it sure looks like it is.
Yes, I recently binge-watched two seasons of Poldark using both the TV PBS app and the app on my Apple TV. The quality of the streamed content was very good and looked terrific on the 940D.

·
Registered
21,198 Posts
Yes, I recently binge-watched two seasons of Poldark using both the TV PBS app and the app on my Apple TV. The quality of the streamed content was very good and looked terrific on the 940D.
Thanks for the reminder about Android TV's PBS app. I set it up when my 940D was new but hadn't used it lately. For movie buffs there is a documentary about the great old time director, Sydney Lumet, that I highly recommend. I watched it on cable the other night and was enthralled. Lumet was an interesting guy, as well as a great director.

7001 - 7020 of 13326 Posts