AVS Forum banner

7061 - 7080 of 13328 Posts

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,203 Posts
Do you have a confirmed example of a TV app and a source within that app which is DD+ encoded and which I can verify is being passed back to my Avr as DD+ via optical/toslink? This is the one bit which (imho) is not 100% confirmed and would be good to record explicitly if you have an example.
It seems as I may have misspoken. It looks like Toslink only supports DD. This is not a huge deal for me. As long as I am getting 5.1 from streaming TV apps, I am happy.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Sure wish the game on fox looked better. The dvr is on native and reciever is pass through. The game looks great when the camera is zoomed in. Incredible pic. When it pans out before they snap the ball looks a little off. Little grained. Not bad just not as good as games on other channels.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Maybe it's just all the heat from heaters rising. Lol

·
Registered
42 Posts
Out of 4 panels only one didn't have DSE. The one i have now has it but only noticed during ANY degree of a viewing angle thats not straight forward.

If i could combine my panel now that has minimal smearing and the panel that had no dse, that would be great- you know like what you would expect to get from a 4,000 tv. Quality control sucks from sony, customer service is worse. But if you get lucky or look past the issues, they sure do make a nice picture.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Hi Dave,

I put on the Packers and Giants game and the vertical banding was just terrible. I'm not even going to consider another Sony. I've asked my dealer for an exchange on a 65" LG OLED. I'll miss the extra 10 inches but the DSE and banding are just unacceptable and the other options for 75" sets are just too expensive. The XBR75Z9D is $12K at Best Buy + another ~12% tax here in BC. Insane.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Hi Dave,

I put on the Packers and Giants game and the vertical banding was just terrible. I'm not even going to consider another Sony. I've asked my dealer for an exchange on a 65" LG OLED. I'll miss the extra 10 inches but the DSE and banding are just unacceptable and the other options for 75" sets are just too expensive. The XBR75Z9D is $12K at Best Buy + another ~12% tax here in BC. Insane.

Now the motion issues on the lg will make you want another tv

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21,198 Posts
Sure wish the game on fox looked better. The dvr is on native and reciever is pass through. The game looks great when the camera is zoomed in. Incredible pic. When it pans out before they snap the ball looks a little off. Little grained. Not bad just not as good as games on other channels.
I suspect that most of what you don't like about Fox's telecasts is caused by Fox's (and ESPN/ABC's) native resolution of 720P. CBS and NBC, though broadcast in 1080i. The difference is rarely glaring but it's always there. Even so, I thought that the Giants v. Packers NFL wildcard game, which I watched on my 940D, looked good on Fox.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just to share my connection setup as discussed earlier.

Into my Marantz NR1606
  • Oppo 203
  • ATV4
  • PS4 Pro
Into my 940D
  • Marantz NR1606 (HDMI 4/ARC - Set to Enhanced)
  • Foxtel IQ3 - HD Satellite (HDMI 2 - NOT set to Enhanced)
The only reason I run my Foxtel IQ3 - HD Satellite service into HDMI 2 rather than the AVR (HDMI 4/ARC) is because the Foxtel picture is significantly darkened when Enhanced is active on that HDMI input. My other devices (Oppo 203, ATV4 and PS4 Pro), don't automatically darken simply because Enhanced is active on that HDMI input.

This works perfectly, and with the ECO timeout setting to zero on my Marantz NR1606, my receiver no longer turns off after 15 minutes when viewing Foxtel IQ3 - HD Satellite or native apps such as YouTube on the 940D. For some reason even though a picture was coming through, it would act as if no signal was being received and turn off to save energy.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I posted my thoughts on motion control settings early in this thread, but since the question is a popular one, I'll repeat my opinions, FWIW.

The motion control options are Smooth, Standard, Clear, TrueCinema, and Custom. The "Smoothness" and "Clearness" settings apply only to the Custom setting, and have ranges Min,1,2,3,4 and Max.

To assess the performance of each setting, I rely on the Motion test patterns on the Spears&Munsil test disk. There are threee Morion tests, the Stock Ticker, the moving Logo, and a swinging rope hammock.

I find the Stock Ticker the easiest to observe the effectiveness of the various motion settings. With motion control set to Off, the stock ticker is clearly very jerky. Standard and TrueCinem settings offer very little improvement. The Clear setting, while definitely improving motion judder, darkens the screen considerably, so is not recommended. This leaves Smooth and Custom, both of which are quite effective at reducing motion judder. With Custom, I find a Smoothness setting of 4 produces the most judder reduction (I could not see further improvement with Max). And for the Clearness setting, anything above Min darkens the picture, so I recommend the Min setting. And finally, Smooth introduces a bit of SOE, which some might find undesirable. Also, set Cinemotion to High for the best results, regardless of the Motion Control setting.

Bottom line, based on the S&M tests, a setting of Custom, with Smoothness=4 and Clearness=Min is my recommendation. Of course, in order to make your decision, you should also rely on watching real content, especially if you don't have the S&M disk, to make your decision.
Thanks AJ.

Just to clarify, you mention in your settings that you chose to use Off/Off, or Standard/Off.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/78476446/AVS posts/Sony XBR75X940D/XBR75X940D Settings.pdf

Do you now run Custom: 4/Min, High?

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,203 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks for clarifying.

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
I suspect that most of what you don't like about Fox's telecasts is caused by Fox's (and ESPN/ABC's) native resolution of 720P. CBS and NBC, though broadcast in 1080P. The difference is rarely glaring but it's always there. Even so, I thought that the Giants v. Packers NFL wildcard game, which I watched on my 940D, looked good on Fox.
I watched the whole game and it looked pretty good to these eyes. I saw no evidence whatsoever of banding or DSE.

Reactions: Mystaken and gwsat

·
Registered
166 Posts
Anyone have this tv mounted above a fireplace? If so, did you use the sony flat mount or a tilting mount? Curious to know what the viewing angle is like when looking up at the tv if mounted flat to the wall rather than tilted. Just bought my 940D and trying to figure out if I'll use my existing tilt mount or try to get that clean "flat against the wall" look.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I sometimes view with motion control turned off. When I do use motion control, I normally use Custom now.
Just updated to these settings - what a difference. Even on HD Satellite TV it looks great. It's the first time I've seen this level of smooth motion with SOE. For comparison I switched to smooth and back to these custom settings which only confirmed it. Same level of motion to the eye, without the SOE.

Being completely honest, the custom setting looks a little funny to my eyes, though I'm sure they will adjust. Without this setting, it's just so jerky on Off/Standard by comparison.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Anyone have this tv mounted above a fireplace? If so, did you use the sony flat mount or a tilting mount? Curious to know what the viewing angle is like when looking up at the tv if mounted flat to the wall rather than tilted. Just bought my 940D and trying to figure out if I'll use my existing tilt mount or try to get that clean "flat against the wall" look.
I originally bought a full tilt mount but when they got here it wasn't going to work for my particular area. It would have been off center and the tv would have stuck out two inches past the sound bar. So thy just installed a basic mount. I love how tight the tv is to the wall, looks very nice! But... now the problem is it's almost impossible to get to the hdmi ports. I sure hope I never need to access them.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I originally bought a full tilt mount but when they got here it wasn't going to work for my particular area. It would have been off center and the tv would have stuck out two inches past the sound bar. So thy just installed a basic mount. I love how tight the tv is to the wall, looks very nice! But... now the problem is it's almost impossible to get to the hdmi ports. I sure hope I never need to access them.
Yeah. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. Luckily I have my set-up where the only thing going to the tv is my HDMI cable coming from the media closet. My main concern at this point is figuring out what that upward looking viewing angle is like without the tilt.

I think I read on here somewhere that someone said it would mess with the 3D for sure but I don't really watch anything in 3D so thats not an issue.

If anyone has their TV mounted flat on the wall or on a high console stand would like to do a quick test for me that'd be great too. Maybe try to sit below the TV looking up at it and see if there is any negative affects on PQ or color.

I'd test it myself but my TV got looked over at delivery and boxed back up till I'm ready to mount it. Hopefully this week!

·
Registered
467 Posts
I suspect that most of what you don't like about Fox's telecasts is caused by Fox's (and ESPN/ABC's) native resolution of 720P. CBS and NBC, though broadcast in 1080P. The difference is rarely glaring but it's always there. Even so, I thought that the Giants v. Packers NFL wildcard game, which I watched on my 940D, looked good on Fox.
I haven't double checked, but I am pretty sure that CBS and NBC broadcast in 1080i and not 1080p. Almost no one broadcasts in 1080p... yet.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Is anyone running extended dynamic range? Even on low or medium?

I'd say 70% of my viewing is at night time and I run AJ's settings to the letter (now with updated motion). However if I am home during the day, in a bright room, it looks a little flat, almost like there's a soft filter over the top.

Setting extended dynamic range to low or medium seems to lift this filtered look. I'm just not sure if it's the right thing to do, or if anyone has a different suggestion for daytime viewing? For example, simply lifting gamma from -2 to 0?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Is anyone running extended dynamic range? Even on low or medium?

I'd say 70% of my viewing is at night time and I run AJ's settings to the letter (now with updated motion). However if I am home during the day, in a bright room, it looks a little flat, almost like there's a soft filter over the top.

Setting extended dynamic range to low or medium seems to lift this filtered look. I'm just not sure if it's the right thing to do, or if anyone has a different suggestion for daytime viewing?
I've noticed the "soft filter" effect during the day. I haven't changed any settings but will certainly give the "extended dynamic range - low / medium" suggestion a try.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Hi Dave,

have your had the Verticle Banding on other broadcasts or only this football game? I do agree the 75" Z9D is very pricey! Many wonder if the price will fall anytime soon! Sorry you have the Banding ! I know some of the 940D do have Banding and others don't. Can you exchange your set?

7061 - 7080 of 13328 Posts