AVS Forum banner

7081 - 7100 of 13317 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Anyone have this tv mounted above a fireplace? If so, did you use the sony flat mount or a tilting mount? Curious to know what the viewing angle is like when looking up at the tv if mounted flat to the wall rather than tilted. Just bought my 940D and trying to figure out if I'll use my existing tilt mount or try to get that clean "flat against the wall" look.
Yeah, mine's above a fireplace. I use the Sanus xf228 and the companion vma202 for my center channel. I definitely have the set tilted down. I tried to eyeball it so that when I "lean back" into my couch the screen is perpendicular to my line of sight. Not sure if I've really paid attention to visible differences. This sanus can be pushed back quite a bit but it's certainly not "flush against the wall".

·
Registered
73 Posts
I sometimes view with motion control turned off. When I do use motion control, I normally use Custom now.
AJ i'd just like to clarify, for your UHD content settings, have you also modified your motion controls? I notice that on Custom when on HDR picture mode, smoothness is locked (greyed out) at 3, vs your setting of 4. Also, do you drop clearness to Min, or is it higher for HDR?

Side question - do all 4K UHD Blurays run HDR? I'm assuming they don't, which is why AJ's settings for UHD show a Brightness 35 / Contrast 90 (like the 1080p settings) - knowing that if HDR content loads it will automatically adjust them to Max/Max. Did I get that right?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I suspect that most of what you don't like about Fox's telecasts is caused by Fox's (and ESPN/ABC's) native resolution of 720P. CBS and NBC, though broadcast in 1080P. The difference is rarely glaring but it's always there. Even so, I thought that the Giants v. Packers NFL wildcard game, which I watched on my 940D, looked good on Fox.
Same here! Although I watched the game through the Fox on the Go App. (I don't have cable or Sat.) I thought the game looked great on the 940D!! Crisp Clear and Bright!

·
Registered
42 Posts
have your had the Verticle Banding on other broadcasts or only this football game? I do agree the 75" Z9D is very pricey! Many wonder if the price will fall anytime soon! Sorry you have the Banding ! I know some of the 940D do have Banding and others don't. Can you exchange your set?
Well now I'm really confused. The original live broadcast on Fox had lots of banding. Watched the highlights later on Sportsnet and there was no banding and now I'm watching a rebroadcast on NFL Network and there is no banding. Could it be broadcast specific? Steelers and Dolphins rebroadcast on NFL Network is good too.

I also have a 4K DVR. I've set the DVR cable box to 4K as it recommends but because the broadcast is 1080i the 4K box is doing the upscaling. I'm going to set the 4K DVR to 1080i and let the TV do the upscaling and see if it reduces the banding and DSE. Maybe my 4K DVR cable box is the problem?

I have some experimenting to do. Just need a live hockey broadcast.

Thanks for putting the bug in my ear.

·
Registered
21,193 Posts
I haven't double checked, but I am pretty sure that CBS and NBC broadcast in 1080i and not 1080p. Almost no one broadcasts in 1080p... yet.
You are right. I had been spending so much time lately talking about 1080P Blu-rays, I carried it over to broadcast television. As you noted, 1080i is correct.

·
** Man of Leisure **
22,906 Posts
AJ i'd just like to clarify, for your UHD content settings, have you also modified your motion controls? I notice that on Custom when on HDR picture mode, smoothness is locked (greyed out) at 3, vs your setting of 4. Also, do you drop clearness to Min, or is it higher for HDR?

Side question - do all 4K UHD Blurays run HDR? I'm assuming they don't, which is why AJ's settings for UHD show a Brightness 35 / Contrast 90 (like the 1080p settings) - knowing that if HDR content loads it will automatically adjust them to Max/Max. Did I get that right?
I don't have different settings for UHD/HDR because I don't have the calibration tools to determine HDR settings. I just use the default HDR picture mode. The HDR picture mode still uses the same white balance settings, and it allows me to set the motion control settings.

Not all UHD content is HDR. You can always tell because the display will automatically switch to HDR picture mode for HDR content.

Reactions: elisiX

·
** Man of Leisure **
22,906 Posts
Well now I'm really confused. The original live broadcast on Fox had lots of banding. Watched the highlights later on Sportsnet and there was no banding and now I'm watching a rebroadcast on NFL Network and there is no banding. Could it be broadcast specific? Steelers and Dolphins rebroadcast on NFL Network is good too.

I also have a 4K DVR. I've set the DVR cable box to 4K as it recommends but because the broadcast is 1080i the 4K box is doing the upscaling. I'm going to set the 4K DVR to 1080i and let the TV do the upscaling and see if it reduces the banding and DSE. Maybe my 4K DVR cable box is the problem?

I have some experimenting to do. Just need a live hockey broadcast.

Thanks for putting the bug in my ear.
I have always advocated allowing the display to do the up-scaling, assuming your DVR allows you to output in "Native" mode. Keep in mind that the Fox broadcast is native 720p, while the other broadcasts are 1080i. It is possible that the DVR upscaler does a better job with 1080i vs. 720p. Regardless, the Bravia up-scaler is more likely to do a better job than an inexpensive DVR.

And the fact that the game looked better on the re-broadcasts suggests that the display is not at fault. When a viewer complains that a cable program looks bad on the 940D, I always suggest that they tune in a high-quality program, like the live network news, to see if the poor PQ is related to the program.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm having the dreaded PS4Pro HDR issue with the TV (ie the PS4 says the tv will not take the HDR signal). Seems from online that i need to enable the HDMI port to actually accept the HDR signal. So i go to Home menu in the TV, select settings, then try to select the "external inputs" option, instead of bringing me to the inputs menu, it just bounces me back to the previous menu. Any ideas on how to actually get into the external inputs menu?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Any new info on a fix for the input lag for gaming? Any fixes expected at this point? Man, I really keep coming back to this tv and still toy with the idea of exchanging my 65" KS9000 for it. I like the ks9000 but miss the 75" and the 75" KS9000 is just waaaay too much damn money. This seems like a great TV but I keep coming back here and reading complaints here and there. I'd hate to box everything up, exchange it and ultimately end up not liking it. I have until Feb 14th to exchange the KS9000 for something else if I wanted. If I knew they had fixed the input lag issue that might finally push me towards giving it a shot. Especially with another price drop. Ughhh.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I also have a 4K DVR. I've set the DVR cable box to 4K as it recommends but because the broadcast is 1080i the 4K box is doing the upscaling. I'm going to set the 4K DVR to 1080i and let the TV do the upscaling and see if it reduces the banding and DSE. Maybe my 4K DVR cable box is the problem

I agree with Austin Jerry, set the DVR to pass through and let the Sony do the upscale. While that is your best option, based on your comments the problem is more than likely the signal. ESPN looks different in part based on what the individual provider is doing, like compression, to the signal. I don't claim to understand the technical side of this, but our Sony is at the mercy of what the providers due to the signal. On occasion I've seen the same sporting event on two different channels and the image is radically different. Go figure.

Your post piqued my interest. What cable/satellite provider has 4k content and provides a 4k DVR to accommodate it?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have always advocated allowing the display to do the up-scaling, assuming your DVR allows you to output in "Native" mode. Keep in mind that the Fox broadcast is native 720p, while the other broadcasts are 1080i. It is possible that the DVR upscaler does a better job with 1080i vs. 720p. Regardless, the Bravia up-scaler is more likely to do a better job than an inexpensive DVR.

And the fact that the game looked better on the re-broadcasts suggests that the display is not at fault. When a viewer complains that a cable program looks bad on the 940D, I always suggest that they tune in a high-quality program, like the live network news, to see if the poor PQ is related to the program.
Hi Jerry,

Unfortunately, my 4K cable box doesn't give me the option to pass-through the native resolution. It only allows me to pick the aspect ratio and resolution of my TV. If I set it to 1080i or 720p I would then have to manually change it when I watch a 4K broadcast.

The hockey games I watched that were broadcast in 4K had equal to or more DSE than the same live broadcast in 1080i so, I'm pretty sure that the TV is at fault here.

Not sure what was up with the FOX football broadcast? Prior to the 940D I had the 850D and the 4K broadcasts of CFL football looked stunning. No issues with DSE or banding. Unfortunatelly, the 850D couldn't display blacks but for live sports it was great.

HGTV typically has excellent picture quality however when the camera pans a room, which they do a lot of on this channel, DSE and banding is very apparent. Live news broadcasts are usually pretty static.

Thanks for you input and your calibration settings as well :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I agree with Austin Jerry, set the DVR to pass through and let the Sony do the upscale. While that is your best option, based on your comments the problem is more than likely the signal. ESPN looks different in part based on what the individual provider is doing, like compression, to the signal. I don't claim to understand the technical side of this, but our Sony is at the mercy of what the providers due to the signal. On occasion I've seen the same sporting event on two different channels and the image is radically different. Go figure.

Your post piqued my interest. What cable/satellite provider has 4k content and provides a 4k DVR to accommodate it?
My cable provider is Telus and I'm on their Optik TV 4K plan. I have fibre optic service to my house and a 50 Mbps internet plan to get 4K TV. Content is quite limited right now but CFL football, some NBA (Raptors games) and the World Junior Hockey Championships plus some on demand, PPV and the built in Netflix app are available in 4K.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Hi Jerry,

Unfortunately, my 4K cable box doesn't give me the option to pass-through the native resolution. It only allows me to pick the aspect ratio and resolution of my TV. If I set it to 1080i or 720p I would then have to manually change it when I watch a 4K broadcast.

The hockey games I watched that were broadcast in 4K had equal to or more DSE than the same live broadcast in 1080i so, I'm pretty sure that the TV is at fault here.

Not sure what was up with the FOX football broadcast? Prior to the 940D I had the 850D and the 4K broadcasts of CFL football looked stunning. No issues with DSE or banding. Unfortunatelly, the 850D couldn't display blacks but for live sports it was great.

HGTV typically has excellent picture quality however when the camera pans a room, which they do a lot of on this channel, DSE and banding is very apparent. Live news broadcasts are usually pretty static.

Thanks for you input and your calibration settings as well :)
For anyone using DirecTV, as long as you select NATIVE: ON, the DTV box will pass-through the signal / resolution and allow the TV to do the upscale / processing. Most probably know this however, I thought I post for those that didn't or were wondering.......

:)

·
Registered
21,193 Posts

My DVR is a TiVo Bolt. Although it is 4K capable, my cable provider, Cox Tulsa, does not offer 4K programming yet. When I got the bolt, I set its output to 1080p but recently changed it to 2160p. I left it there after first confirming that letting the Bolt do the upconverting looked just as good to me as it had when I had the 940D do the upconverting. Also, at 2160p the Bolt's menus look better.

Reactions: js1010

·
Registered
382 Posts
Any new info on a fix for the input lag for gaming? Any fixes expected at this point? Man, I really keep coming back to this tv and still toy with the idea of exchanging my 65" KS9000 for it. I like the ks9000 but miss the 75" and the 75" KS9000 is just waaaay too much damn money. This seems like a great TV but I keep coming back here and reading complaints here and there. I'd hate to box everything up, exchange it and ultimately end up not liking it. I have until Feb 14th to exchange the KS9000 for something else if I wanted. If I knew they had fixed the input lag issue that might finally push me towards giving it a shot. Especially with another price drop. Ughhh.
The input lag is not bad for 1080p gaming. They still have not yet released the fix for 4k input lag. Aside from that the other issues others are mentioning are very minor. I thought I would regret swapping for it however I have found the display to be very good. I wouldn't give up the extra 10" for the KS9000.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just wanted to clarify that the banding on the live FOX broadcast was so bad that the picture on my set broke up when a long bomb was thrown. While others with 940Ds watching the same FOX broadcast commented above that the picture was good (but not great) on their sets. My other TV's didn't show any banding or DSE either. This would clearly demonstrate that the display I have is at fault.

I can't explain why the re-broadcasts were better but, my TV had trouble where others didn't with the live broadcast.

·
Registered
211 Posts
The input lag is not bad for 1080p gaming. They still have not yet released the fix for 4k input lag. Aside from that the other issues others are mentioning are very minor. I thought I would regret swapping for it however I have found the display to be very good. I wouldn't give up the extra 10" for the KS9000.
I suppose I could order one(my BB up here in BFE South Dakota doesn't carry them in stock) and evaluate and take back whichever one I liked the least. What's the chances on the price dropping back down to around $3799 soon? How are the return policies of Amazon or Crutchfield on items like this? I could save a couple hundred easy just on taxes by going with one of those retailers. But I suppose I couldn't just return a 75" tv to one of them just because I didn't like it without some kind of fee.

·
Registered
12,771 Posts
I suppose I could order one(my BB up here in BFE South Dakota doesn't carry them in stock) and evaluate and take back whichever one I liked the least. What's the chances on the price dropping back down to around $3799 soon? How are the return policies of Amazon or Crutchfield on items like this? I could save a couple hundred easy just on taxes by going with one of those retailers. But I suppose I couldn't just return a 75" tv to one of them just because I didn't like it without some kind of fee.
Hey fellow South Dakotan! Don't see too many of us on the forum so had to say "Hi". :)

If you're in the Rapid City area, feel free to come and take a look at my 940D anytime.

I bought from the RC Best Buy (they had to have it shipped in) and took the sales tax hit just for the peace of mind of "no hassle" returns/swaps (along with the free Geek Squad install and free mount I got). However, after living with the 940D for 2 weeks now, I don't think there's much chance of that. :)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hey fellow South Dakotan! Don't see too many of us on the forum so had to say "Hi". :)

If you're in the Rapid City area, feel free to come and take a look at my 940D anytime.

I bought from the RC Best Buy (they had to have it shipped in) and took the sales tax hit just for the peace of mind of "no hassle" returns/swaps (along with the free Geek Squad install and free mount I got). However, after living with the 940D for 2 weeks now, I don't think there's much chance of that. :)
Howdy neighbor! Up here in Sturgis. Yeah I don't mind the tax really for the no hassle return benefit. I guess I could go ahead and order one. What's the drawback? Should've jumped on it when it was $3799 though. Dang it.

LOL, I'm surprised BB hasn't banned me for all the stuff I've taken back over the years. But trust me, they've kept plenty of my money as well.

7081 - 7100 of 13317 Posts