AVS Forum banner

7161 - 7180 of 13317 Posts

·
** Man of Leisure **
22,950 Posts
Agree wth everything you said. Especially when you count the fact that most consumer-y equipment (routers etc) will usually run at 50-70% (?) of their max rated capacity in a typical home network and you can start to get into trouble with a 100Mbps interface if you're trying to stream high bitrate files.
I am of the opinion that a 100 Mbs network interface is sufficient. Do you have an example of streaming files that would ever even come close to exceeding the throughput of a 100 Mbps interface? 20Mbs seems to me more than sufficient to stream Netflix and Amazon UHD/HDR content.

·
Banned
6,246 Posts

Reactions: brickyardz

·
Registered
485 Posts
What's your reasoning for the tv to do the upscaling? My sr6010 does a better job upscaling than the tv. Did you notice something different?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Back a few years ago (when I purchased the Denon AVR-X4100W), I contacted Denon Tech Support because I had a few questions. One of them was the "IP Scaler" feature on the Denon AVR. At the time I had a Sony XBR-70X850B. Denon Tech Support indicated the Sony TV would do a better job upscaling and NOT to enable IP Scaling on the Denon AVR. He also said the only time the Denon AVR would do a better job is with an "older" TV.

Just thought I'd pass along this info........

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Speaking as a software engineer, and former IT guy, this is absolutely wrong. Gigabit NICs will step down without any issues at all. Also, the spec says you need CAT 5E cabling to get gigabit, but short runs of CAT 5 will also work at times. I have CAT 6 in my house and my CAT5/5E devices work just fine. I've also hooked plenty of Gigabit devices into 10/100 hubs/switches in my day and they also work fine.

In addition, most modern routers are shipping w/Gigabit switches built in. A number of consumers have their routers right next to their TVs, so this make it even less of an issue.

"Problems for Sony"? What kind of problems? There's no engineering challenge, but there is a small financial one.
Sorry, but software engineering and being a "former IT guy" (which I am as well) aren't inclusive of the understandings you need for networking at layer 1.

Signaling is signaling. And if any of the components in the connection (interface at switch/router, interface at TV, cable) are NOT up to spec, then odd things can happen. The TV could potentially negotiate a connection at 1G but the switch might miss something in the return signaling that would drop it to 100 - or vice versa. Or, the connection could link up at 1G only to be intermittently good/bad while passing actual traffic.

No manufacturer has an interest in supporting more than is necessary. And, 1G is not necessary. By putting a 1G interface in the TV, it opens the door to many more potential issues with wired connectivity that would be completely out of the control of Sony but would leave the consumer feeling like it was "Sony's fault."

The only are where "software" comes into play with network signaling is in the firmware for the NIC and the firmware / software on the router/switch. There are MANY known issues with Broadcom chips in 1G NIC's connecting to various 1G switches - I've seen it first-hand more times than I care to count. The fix has always been to rip out the Broadcom-based NIC and replace it with an Intel one. And those are appreciably more expensive.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I am of the opinion that a 100 Mbs network interface is sufficient. Do you have an example of streaming files that would ever even come close to exceeding the throughput of a 100 Mbps interface? 20Mbs seems to me more than sufficient to stream Netflix and Amazon UHD/HDR content.
I'm with you on this, Jerry. There are no "high bitstream" files that are being streamed out there for online viewing. Who in the world would put a consumer in the position to require 200Mb+ Internet connectivity when most of the country is capped at a max speed of under 100Mb?

It's interesting to see how many folks directly equate File Transfers on their home networks to streaming service requirements without knowing that they two are about as far apart as you could imagine. I have a gigabit network in my house because I actually DO transfer a lot of data among computers. And I connected that to the internet for a VERY long time at 25Mb (I only recently upped it to 75Mb, which is my max option).

·
Registered
21,194 Posts
OK, there has been some discussion recently regarding the picture quality of sports broadcasts.

How about tonight's football championship on ESPN? It is a 720p broadcast, up-scaled to 4K of course, and IMO, the PQ is stunning. No banding, no smearing, no ghosting, no other motion artifacts, and stunningly accurate colors. Can it get any better than this?

Anybody else enjoying this broadcast? I am watching on DirecTV.
I agree that ESPN's telecast of the Clemson v. Alabama national championship game looked great. During halftime of the football game, I watched some NBA basketball, Thunder, v. Bulls. Watched the NBA game on Fox Sports Oklahoma. Its PQ was noticeably inferior to ESPN's telecast of the college football game.

Reactions: dominica

·
Registered
641 Posts
I haven't seen it as a available option. HDR picture mode is greyed out for me when HDR content is playing.

I only came across vivid when you go to reset the HDR mode.

I found about it from the review. You can only get to it if you do a Reset with the Reset Vivid Option. When you first run HDR mode it uses your color settings from the UHD (expert1 or expert2) with a color 50. However to get the Vivid HDR you have to go to reset menu and then pick reset to Vivid Video HDR which is dumb, why not put the option as a regular setting? However, do not do the regular reset since it reset's your color settings and you will have to redo AJ setting etc. To get back to your regular setting just change it back to expert 1 or expert 2 etc from cool and change the color back to 50. Read the review in the other post to get a better understanding of the mode... Please note is uses cool color temp and color at 60. It's a little to rich for me, but some people like the Vivid extra bright mode.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I'm with you on this, Jerry. There are no "high bitstream" files that are being streamed out there for online viewing. Who in the world would put a consumer in the position to require 200Mb+ Internet connectivity when most of the country is capped at a max speed of under 100Mb?
1. My comments were certainly not intended for streaming from the internet. I understand quite clearly what the needs of internet streaming are. Certainly for that use case (the common one) 100Mbps is more than enough. Even Wifi (people's comments to the contrary notwithstanding) is more than enough. My Wifi network can comfortably get real world rates of 60-70Mbps in most parts of my house and this is more than sufficient for any internet streaming.

2. I was talking mostly about streaming high bitrate files which are on my local network, on my NAS. Agree that this is not a common case, and don't expect vendors to be optimizing for this use case. I solve this by running separate boxes like NVIDIA Shield, hardwired to my NAS.

3. Even for streaming local files, it is arguable whether you need gigabit or not. Most decent BluRay 1080p rips will be in the 30 Mbps range, so 100Mbps is enough. My point was, very simply, that "actual usable bandwidth" you can get on a 100Mbps channel is likely closer to 70Mbps, and as an entitled consumer :) I want the 1Gbps NIC in my device :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Signaling is signaling. And if any of the components in the connection (interface at switch/router, interface at TV, cable) are NOT up to spec, then odd things can happen. The TV could potentially negotiate a connection at 1G but the switch might miss something in the return signaling that would drop it to 100 - or vice versa. Or, the connection could link up at 1G only to be intermittently good/bad while passing actual traffic.
What you're saying here works both ways, what happens if a device improperly negotiates a 1G connection to a 100M device?

There are MANY known issues with Broadcom chips in 1G NIC's connecting to various 1G switches - I've seen it first-hand more times than I care to count. The fix has always been to rip out the Broadcom-based NIC and replace it with an Intel one. And those are appreciably more expensive.
I don't get how this has anything to do with what I'm saying. I didn't say "use a broadcom 1G NIC", I said include a 1GB NIC. The current NIC apparently has an issue with Apple Airport base stations where it kills the network or something (there are reports of this issue somewhere, I forget where), the solution for those folks is to switch to a WiFi connection.

·
Registered
50 Posts
2. I was talking mostly about streaming high bitrate files which are on my local network, on my NAS. Agree that this is not a common case, and don't expect vendors to be optimizing for this use case. I solve this by running separate boxes like NVIDIA Shield, hardwired to my NAS.
+1

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have been looking at Sony TV for the past 3 months. I had decided that the XBR75 x940D was the TV I was considering against the LG Oled.

Long story short at my local Best Buy they have the x940D right beside the z9.

I have watched the demo side by side for 15 minutes and I can't see what is better about the z9 model.

Am I missing something? Are the advantages that small?

Any guidance or what I should be looking for would be appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

·
** Man of Leisure **
22,950 Posts
I agree that ESPN's telecast of the Clemson v. Alabama national championship game looked great. During halftime of the football game, I watched some NBA basketball, Thunder, v. Bulls. Watched the NBA game on Fox Sports Oklahoma. Its PQ was noticeably inferior to ESPN's telecast of the college football game.
I have long thought that DirecTV dynamically allocates more bandwidth to some channels, and perhaps even different rates depending on the programming. On my set, the premium channels like HBO look significantly better than some basic channels like TBS. given the importance of the national championship game, it would not surprise me if ESPN had negotiated for higher bandwidth for this showcase game.

Reactions: gwsat and MikeTV69

·
Registered
103 Posts
Here is some issue that is driving me crazy. I have a 940d,comcast cable and a 2016 Yamaha receiver
. I am connected thru the ARC connection. While I am watching cable tv, If I start changing channels I lose the hdmi signal. On my receiver the red hdmi status light which usually is steady starts to flicker when this happens.

If I change my hdmi input to say Pandora and come right back to cable I get the picture back. I deal with crutchfield. They sent me another receiver once, same issue. I even upgraded to another higher end Yamaha. same issue. Then I upgraded my hdmi cables to blue jeans best. Still have the same issue.

Crutchfield tech support has no idea nor do I. Anyone have an idea ? I have the latest firmware on all devices.

Thanks

·
** Man of Leisure **
22,950 Posts
Here is some issue that is driving me crazy. I have a 940d,comcast cable and a 2016 Yamaha receiver
. I am connected thru the ARC connection. While I am watching cable tv, If I start changing channels I lose the hdmi signal. On my receiver the red hdmi status light which usually is steady starts to flicker when this happens.

If I change my hdmi input to say Pandora and come right back to cable I get the picture back. I deal with crutchfield. They sent me another receiver once, same issue. I even upgraded to another higher end Yamaha. same issue. Then I upgraded my hdmi cables to blue jeans best. Still have the same issue.

Crutchfield tech support has no idea nor do I. Anyone have an idea ? I have the latest firmware on all devices.

Thanks
You would not be the first person who has had issues with ARC. Have you tried connecting without using ARC, say with using a Toslink connection for TV app audio back to the AVR? Is there something about ARC that is a "must have" for you?

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
I have been looking at Sony TV for the past 3 months. I had decided that the XBR75 x940D was the TV I was considering against the LG Oled.

I have watched the demo side by side for 15 minutes and I can't see what is better about the z9 model.

Thank you for your time.
IMO the Z9 is just brighter. Other than that I didn't see much difference myself. Especially, no difference to justify the price increase. You'd trade 3D for Dolby Vision. And some people say there won't be that big a difference between the two. We'll see about that later this year...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Has anybody watched "The OA" on Netflix and see some weird backlight blooming issues?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, I saw some backlight blooming. IIRC, it was in episode 7 where Prairie and French were sitting in a car. It was a dark scene and the backlight would bloom around French's head.

·
Registered
42 Posts
OK, there has been some discussion recently regarding the picture quality of sports broadcasts.

How about tonight's football championship on ESPN? It is a 720p broadcast, up-scaled to 4K of course, and IMO, the PQ is stunning. No banding, no smearing, no ghosting, no other motion artifacts, and stunningly accurate colors. Can it get any better than this?

Anybody else enjoying this broadcast? I am watching on DirecTV.
I was flicking through channels and had a look at the game just to evaluate picture quality and it looked great. Nothing like the FOX broadcast of the Packers and Giants I had problems with.

Talked to my dealer today and I'm going to exchange my set for another 940D or ZD9 if the upcharge isn't to steep. Looked at the 65" OLED's and I just can't give up the 10 inches plus IMO, the up-scaling on the Sony if far superior.

·
Registered
42 Posts

Thank you for your time.
Not really a good comparison as all the TVs look great when they're displaying bright colorful 4K demo loops. I think where you'll notice the difference is with the added zones and precision of back light dimming. A dark scene would be a better side by side comparison.

Still doesn't justify the price difference though. Prices of the ZD9 will likely come down to 940D levels once the stock of 940D's on the market is extinguished.

7161 - 7180 of 13317 Posts