AVS Forum banner

7441 - 7460 of 13317 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Can you confirm the marshmallow update package that came installed on yours is the same as the guy a few posts earlier was saying is the same as the 940C? PKG3.709.0120NAB. He updated his manually with the 940C marshmallow update and said it went fine. Should be under help to find the package installed.
I just updated mine to marshmallow using the sony_tvupdate_2015_3709_nab_auth.zip from a USB stick. Everything seemed to go fine. My about screen looks the same as his.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Ok. Figure this one out.

I factory reset the TV and started again. I set everything up to AJ's settings and saw the exact same picture quality as before (poor). I went into the settings and adjusted the Blue Bias and Blue Gain levels. The picture looked much better.

Then, I moved the gain and bias settings back and it STILL looks good.

What gives? Why did everything develop a brownish overtone that I had to adjust the settings to fix and then when adjusting back, things stayed good?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I purchased my X940D from the Magnolia store at my local Best Buy this past Sunday. After looking at the receipt I see I only have a 15 day return policy. Had I bought it from the Best Buy floor I'd have a 30 day return policy. I had initially thought that Magnolia was just the high end electronics section of Best Buy, but it appears it's a separate store. But if that's the case, why was Magnolia able to use my Best Buy credit card to purchase the TV? I'm thinking about returning the set and buying it from the Best Buy floor rep to get the 30 day return policy. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I purchased my X940D from the Magnolia store at my local Best Buy this past Sunday. After looking at the receipt I see I only have a 15 day return policy. Had I bought it from the Best Buy floor I'd have a 30 day return policy. I had initially thought that Magnolia was just the high end electronics section of Best Buy, but it appears it's a separate store. But if that's the case, why was Magnolia able to use my Best Buy credit card to purchase the TV? I'm thinking about returning the set and buying it from the Best Buy floor rep to get the 30 day return policy. Thoughts?
You should familiarize yourself with the return policy as you don't have the return periods correct.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/help-topics/return-exchange-policy/pcmcat260800050014.c?id=pcmcat260800050014

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Thanks for that. Last time I purchased something fairly expensive from Best Buy I had a 30 day return period, but that was a couple years ago.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hello all. I searched through the string but could only find early 2016 update. Does any one know if the 940d amazon app is going to support 5.1?

Thx

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
321 Posts
Ok, so I've been in love with my set since the day I bought it last month. I felt I was one of the fortunate one's that didn't have the bad smearing issues others have dealt with. I've even had it calibrated by one of the pro's on this site with really nice results. Fast forward to tonight, I pop in The Accountant UHD Blu-ray and watch about 45 minutes or so when I start to notice the picture looks "off". I keep watching until it hits me that my set has developed clouding when I watch HDR content. To test my theory, I put in the movie Gravity which has mostly dark scenes and you can see from the screen shot, the black bars basically disappear, and there is no visible clouding. Then I went back and put in The Shallows UHD Blu-ray that is brighter to see what happens. Sure enough, during the bright scenes it's only faintly visible in the bars. But when it's a dark scene you can see it clearly. So with all that said, and looking at the pics I included would you return it and get a replacement? There's not much I can do about the brightness of HDR mode since it's maxed out and can't be lowered. I was always under the assumption that clouding was either there from the start or it wasn't. I didn't know it could gradually happen. Like I said this TV has been as close to perfect as I could have hoped for until now. I'm a little bummed .

The Accountant UHD

Gravity Blu-ray

The Shallows UHD

Black Screen after Credits UHD

·
Registered
55 Posts
I fear I may already know the answer to a question but here goes anyway. Vudu is now passing Atmos audio via DD+ to "compatible devices." Can anyone tell me whether Vudu DD+ Atmos can be streamed from the 940D's Android TV OS's Vudu client via the 940D's HDMI/ARC connection? My receiver, a Yamaha RX-A3060, could handle DD+ Atmos just fine if it were to receive the proper signal via ARC. If this question has been asked and answered apologies in advance for asking it again.
I, too, am wondering about this. I have a Yahama Aventage RX-A760, but I only get Dolby Digital from ARC. I do not get DD+, let alone Atmos. :crying:

·
Registered
236 Posts
For those complaining about lack of punch in the color
1) Make sure you sit in front of the TV. This TV has really narrow viewing angles. When I first complained about this TV, i was sitting less than 45 degrees off center and even that was enough to remove a little punch off the color.
2) I tweaked a couple of AJ's settings . Reluctantly, I turned on the Black Adjust , Dynamic Extender range(Set to LOW for both) so I can get some brightness and vividness to my image without having the drawbacks of VIVID mode where you can see so much blooming and hot spots. The rest of my Custom settings are very similar to what AustinJerry set.

For NFL , CBS telecast has the best color. FOX has the worst. Washed up colors compared to CBS and even NBC. The Steelers black color rush unis on Thursday Night Football against the Ravens were outstanding to look at on this TV and is a good way to show off the black levels of this TV.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I posted earlier in this thread about IP control of this TV. I've since found this JSON tool on github. Unfortunately for me, a bit outside of my expertise. I tried this from my linux machine but don't know how to execute javascript JSON. If someone ends of doing this I'd be very interested in how you did it. Thanks

https://github.com/alanreid/bravia

·
Registered
335 Posts
Ok, so I've been in love with my set since the day I bought it last month. I felt I was one of the fortunate one's that didn't have the bad smearing issues others have dealt with. I've even had it calibrated by one of the pro's on this site with really nice results. Fast forward to tonight, I pop in The Accountant UHD Blu-ray and watch about 45 minutes or so when I start to notice the picture looks "off". I keep watching until it hits me that my set has developed clouding when I watch HDR content. To test my theory, I put in the movie Gravity which has mostly dark scenes and you can see from the screen shot, the black bars basically disappear, and there is no visible clouding. Then I went back and put in The Shallows UHD Blu-ray that is brighter to see what happens. Sure enough, during the bright scenes it's only faintly visible in the bars. But when it's a dark scene you can see it clearly. So with all that said, and looking at the pics I included would you return it and get a replacement? There's not much I can do about the brightness of HDR mode since it's maxed out and can't be lowered. I was always under the assumption that clouding was either there from the start or it wasn't. I didn't know it could gradually happen. Like I said this TV has been as close to perfect as I could have hoped for until now. I'm a little bummed .

The Accountant UHD

Gravity Blu-ray

The Shallows UHD

Fwiw, I've been seeing very similar things on my set. HDR looks almost like local dimming has been turned down? Kind of like when you boot the set, you get similar looking behavior until local dimming kicks in.

I thought I was going crazy! Have you contacted Sony yet?

·
Registered
73 Posts
For those complaining about lack of punch in the color
1) Make sure you sit in front of the TV. This TV has really narrow viewing angles. When I first complained about this TV, i was sitting less than 45 degrees off center and even that was enough to remove a little punch off the color.
2) I tweaked a couple of AJ's settings . Reluctantly, I turned on the Black Adjust , Dynamic Extender range(Set to LOW for both) so I can get some brightness and vividness to my image without having the drawbacks of VIVID mode where you can see so much blooming and hot spots. The rest of my Custom settings are very similar to what AustinJerry set.

For NFL , CBS telecast has the best color. FOX has the worst. Washed up colors compared to CBS and even NBC. The Steelers black color rush unis on Thursday Night Football against the Ravens were outstanding to look at on this TV and is a good way to show off the black levels of this TV.
The viewing angle issue is particularly apparent to me - I sit 2.5m from my screen approximately. Sit off to the side by 1m and it tends to lose quite a lot of the color. Dead centre looks infinitely better.

Regarding AJ's settings, as has been mentioned, these are accurate for a dark, light controlled room I assume. For me, once the wife and kids go to bed and I watch something important to me, the room is dark. Earlier in the evenings when it's a little lighter from ambient light sources, it's still fine. During the day is where it doesn't hit the mark from my perspective.

To remedy this I am going back and forth between 2 separate solutions. The first involves simply upping Gamma from -2 to 0, and I believe that this is most likely the 'right' thing to do in order to maintain the correct calibrated settings. Alternatively I set X-tended Dynamic Range to low, which by far is the simplest way to remove this filtered look. This might be screwing with the accuracy however.

I've tested using the X-tended Dynamic Range during a dark night environment, and while it also removes the filtered look, it's actually too bright and hurts my eyes. So during those late evenings I tend to stick 100% to AJ's settings.

I'm still playing with all of my settings daily, but i've narrowed down on Gamma and X-tended Dynamic Range as the two key drivers to improve brightness during the day (Gamma), and remove the filtered look (X-tended Dynamic Range).

To the earlier poster who had not set his White Balance Settings correctly, this is critical. I find with AJ's settings, even though there is the filtered look, the colors are so accurate and vivid (not vivid mode oversaturated), but stunning and clear.

You really need to train yourself to get used to calibrated settings. It's bloody tough sometimes, but it's worth it.

·
Registered
166 Posts

The Accountant UHD

Gravity Blu-ray

The Shallows UHD

Same issue I'm having with HDR content. I also notice the clouding on the Android TV main menu or when the screen goes greyish using settings menus. I assumed this was because the Tv shut off local dimming for these menus and home interface for whatever reason. I'm fine with that. But with HDR, not so fine. Wishing there was a way to just disable HDR and watch in 4K using my own settings. I'd be fine with that.

·
Registered
211 Posts

The Accountant UHD

Gravity Blu-ray

The Shallows UHD

Whoa. Mine has some minor flashlighting and a couple of minor clouding spots but nothing close to that bad and it still bugs me a bit. I'd get that swapped out. It's totally unacceptable on a tv of this price.

·
Registered
211 Posts

The Accountant UHD

Gravity Blu-ray

The Shallows UHD

Can I ask what you have your backlight set to in those shots? If you're watching in a very dark environment like in those pics then the backlight should probably be closer to 10 than in the 30's. Might help wth the clouding some. That's still not right and I'd definitely contact Sony but just saying.

·
** Man of Leisure **
22,926 Posts
Wishing there was a way to just disable HDR and watch in 4K using my own settings. I'd be fine with that.
With some players, notably the Oppo UDP-203, HDR can be toggled off or on.

·
Registered
211 Posts

The Accountant UHD

Gravity Blu-ray

The Shallows UHD

Can I ask what you have your backlight set to in those shots? If you're watching in a very dark environment like in those pics then the backlight should probably be closer to 10 than in the 30's. Might help wth the clouding some. That's still not right and I'd definitely contact Sony but just saying.
Nevermind. I just realized you can't adjust brightness in HDR mode. Duh.

7441 - 7460 of 13317 Posts