AVS Forum banner

7501 - 7520 of 13340 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
OK, I viewed the closing credits for a movie, white characters crawling across a totally black background. I toggled the Auto Dimming through its settings and could not see any difference.

Here is something for you to try when you have a spare minute. When you are seeing washed-out blacks in HDR mode, bring up the Picture Settings menu and adjust the Black Level setting up or down. To me, Black Level has the most impact on how black a black screen is. See if it makes a difference.
I have already adjusted those settings. The blacks get darker but the cloudiness remains. I messed with every single setting and the one that worked the best oddly enough was turning on True Cinema. Unfortunately it over-darkens the entire picture and the HDR effect is almost completely nullified (the cloudiness is still there but almost impossible to see unless the room is pitch black). When you hit stop on the movie, you can instantly see the areas of the TV that were gray and cloudy turn jet black with zero cloudiness. I'll try a full TV reset later tonight.

·
Registered
211 Posts
You have to make sure the USB drive only has the update on it. Also it's important to note you only want to extract the first file. You should still be putting a zip file on the flash drive.
I just started as we speak and it recognized the update file. You actually have to extract the .pkg file and make sure that is on the thumb drive.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Were you still in your return period?
Yes, Best Buy elite plus is a 45 day return window. And out of curiosity, I asked if the return window resets or is back dated to the original delivery date. She told me it resets to the day of the new delivery.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Your situation is not to much different than mine was, other than my screen was only 92". I can tell you that I'd be shocked if you'd be happy with the 940D at 12". If you can change your viewing position to 7-8' then I believe the logical advantages and better picture would outweigh the loss of size. It did for me. I went from 12 to 8' and I'm quite happy with the size of even scope movies. While your JVC has excellent native contrast, its ANSI contrast is poor. That is where the Sony, and OLED, crushes every projector.
Hmmm. There's no way I can get seating any closer than 10', and since my screen is much bigger than your old 92" I'm thinking I'd REALLY miss it.

Guess I better keep my projector setup then...

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,473 Posts
I think I'm going to try the marshmallow update. So the recommendation is to do a full factory reset after installing?
So what are the known benefits of applying this update?

·
Registered
21,203 Posts
You have to make sure the USB drive only has the update on it. Also it's important to note you only want to extract the first file. You should still be putting a zip file on the flash drive.
Good advice! When doing a firmware update using a USB thumb drive it is vital that (1) the update is the only file on the drive when you insert it in the 203 and (2) the file is left in .zip format when it is copied to the thumb drive.

·
Registered
211 Posts
If you guys feel like being a little risky like myself the 940c android m update installs on our TV. They are the same build number same file name and same file size if you look at previous updates. I just installed on my TV with no issues at all.

you can grab the update here and just follow the same instructions.

https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-download.pl?mdl=XBR75X940C&upd_id=11020&os_group_id=18

With this being android and running the same builds if you decided for whatever reason you need to install the 940D update whenever its released as long as its a minor update over this one the install should go through with no problem.

But like I said, same build same file name, same file size in all previous updates.
Good advice! When doing a firmware update using a USB thumb drive it is vital that (1) the update is the only file on the drive when you insert it in the 203 and (2) the file is left in .zip format when it is copied to the thumb drive.
Not according to the instructions in the link Kyle YDG posted. It specifically says to extract the .pkg file from the zip and copy it to a thumb drive which I did a bit ago and the tv instantly recognized and started updating as soon as I plugged it in. Maybe it still works if it's a zip file, but it definitely works extracting the .pkg file and putting on the thumb drive. I know. I just did it.

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,473 Posts
This is not working for me. I unplug for a minute, plug back in, wait for the tv to come on and a picture to come up, hold the up arrow, press and hold the power button on the side of the tv and it just powers down. I never get the reset icon. What am I doing wrong?
I don't know what to tell you. You watched the video. Don't know why it didn't work. Did you have the remote pointing at the TV?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I don't know what to tell you. You watched the video. Don't know why it didn't work. Did you have the remote pointing at the TV?

Yeah I did. Tried it many times. Trying another method now. Holding the power and vol - button on the tv and plugging in. I got the little android robot on the screen working now so something is going on.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yeah I did. Tried it many times. Trying another method now. Holding the power and vol - button on the tv and plugging in. I got the little android robot on the screen working now so something is going on.
Yeah. The power and vol - button method while plugging in worked. at set up screen now.

·
Registered
211 Posts
So what are the known benefits of applying this update?
The display bar up top is obviously different. Other than that I notice nothing else so far. The other guy thought he felt the gaming lag was a bit better. But that could be placebo effect. I wouldn't be surprised if its mostly just an android update focusing on going from 5 to 6, app compatability and app performance with a few cosmetic differences(like the display bar) and little to if any picture improvements.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Is it normal for LD to shut off while in the Android Tv menu? Or when watching a movie and hitting action menu, its obvious LD shuts off while the menus are present on screen. Is this normal behavior for the TV? Shouldn't LD stay on?

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,473 Posts
Is it normal for LD to shut off while in the Android Tv menu? Or when watching a movie and hitting action menu, its obvious LD shuts off while the menus are present on screen. Is this normal behavior for the TV? Shouldn't LD stay on?
Don't know for sure. Why would that be an issue?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Two obvious display differences in marshmallow:

The display bar up top has changed. More discrete and the resolution and aspect ratio are in little white boxes. I like it better. I wish they would add refresh rate to the info though. That would be a lot more handy than aspect ratio.

The volume bar has been moved to the lower left of the screen and is much more simple and discrete. I like that better as well.

PS....I don't know why that one pic attached upside down.

Attachments

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,473 Posts

The display bar up top has changed. More discrete and the resolution and aspect ratio are in little white boxes. I like it better. I wish they would add refresh rate to the info though. That would be a lot more handy than aspect ratio.

The volume bar has been moved to the lower left of the screen and is much more simple and discrete. I like that better as well.

Thanks for the explanation. But I don't see any "gotta haves" that I can't wait until the official 940D release.

Reactions: gwsat

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Yeah, but the display bar also dims the top half of the screen which I don't like.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yeah, but the display bar also dims the top half of the screen which I don't like.
Doesn't the non marshmallow bar come down farther? And also dim the screen? This one is thinner and IMO more aesthetically pleasing. But we all have our tastes. Honestly it really doesn't matter to me really. The biggest thing I wish they would add is refresh rate. It's a no brainer to me.

7501 - 7520 of 13340 Posts