AVS Forum banner

7581 - 7600 of 13317 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thoughts on the horizontal banding in this picture? Normal or not normal for this tv? I haven't noticed it during normal viewing but it's quite apparent while in the tv menus.
The banding on my set was vertical.

Here's a photo of the HGTV splash screen on my set - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BydU0y-sdTTrMEExc0hLZzJSTVk/view?usp=sharing

It's a static image and the stripe is very noticeable. I marked it with a red arrow. On any type of a panning shot the stripe was worse and others also became visible.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Never mind I found it. Here's my smear test. Is this considered bad? Honestly as long as I can't make anything out during normal viewing I don't care.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i9sFPacb_mc

Impressions so far after messing with the tv for a couple hours. Minor flashlighting. I use sling tv for most of my cable viewing and am happy with the way it looks on the tv. I think sling streams at 720 and the tv does a really good job upscaling.

Played about 20 minutes of FFXV on PS4 pro and think I can live with the lag. It doesn't seem that terrible to me. On this game at least.

One dismaying thing happened though while I was playing the game. The tv suddenly rebooted. That's the only time it's done it so far. Is this an issue for some folks?
So here's my latest smear test after the marshmallow update. What do you all think compared to the pre marshmallow test? I think there might be some slight improvement.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I binged watched the OA this week. The washed out nature of the PQ on this show seemed to cause problems with the light control algorithm of the 940D, as if the set can't get a fix on whether to go dark or light in certain areas because the underlying PQ is so (intentionally) washed out. Didn't seem like blooming or clouding to me in the traditional sense (a bloom around a small light object on an otherwise dark screen or a static part of the screen that was brighter due to a physical cloud on the panel itself), but more like moving patches of the screen that were too brightly illuminated because the panel was interpreting the washed out PQ data incorrectly (i.e., equating the intentionally elevated black level as an indication that the panel was supposed to drive an area of the screen brighter than it should have been). This is the only time I've ever seen this behavior with LD enabled.

One thing I did notice a couple of times per episode were pans in which I could make out a grid-like structure on the screen. Couldn't tell if this was in the source or the screen. I'll try to identify a couple of specific scenes over the weekend, as this was more distracting/troubling to me than the clouding.

And, for the record, I've overall been very happy with this set. Interesting to compare it to my prior sets, a kuro and a Sharp elite. Significantly more contrast than the kuro, albeit you've got to live with slight hiccups of a non-emissive set like those noted above. Significantly better colors than the elite. While the elite had more zones and probably more specific light control (never noticed anything like the issues noted above on that set), it's "bug" was the fact that there was sometimes a lag in the dimming algorithm, something that I would notice frequently.
I noticed the clouding or uneven local dimming on OA too, but only from off center viewing angles. Did you see this sitting straight ahead?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
104 Posts
Just out of curiosity, since I previously owned the set, for those who had the smearing issue.. Did the latest update fix it? (No.. not trying to start anything.. Just wondering).
I went thru 3 tvs, 4th has less smearing than the other 3, i only know its there only because I'm looking for it, and its pretty rare if i see it, acceptable . If I had to guess all tvs could have low smearing like mine, but maybe some have none. I dont see it on normal content usually when i look, and i know i would of seen it on the other 3. I didn't install the update but it looks like a os and not sony update, wont do anything for smearing. But my experience on smearing, this is a panel issue not firmware and a huge pain in the ass. Happy now though.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thanks AJ. I haven't noticed it during normal viewing. Just wanted to see if other folks are seeing the same thing on their sets.
Not normal, Im on my 4th tv, didnt see this in any of them.
When I look at the menus, the solid background is not completely uniform. This seems to be typical of the menu screens, perhaps because of different settings being invoked in the menus. I don't see anything similar in solid backgrounds during normal viewing, so I would not be too worried about it. Unless, of course, you spend a lot of time looking at the menu screens... ;)

·
Registered
104 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Not normal, Im on my 4th tv, didnt see this in any of them.

I guess my train of thought of this is more in line with AJ I think. I notice it but it's only in certain tv menus. I'm very happy with viewing actual content. There certainly hasn't been any banding in viewing any content. So far...

I wouldn't put up with going thru 4 tv's. I'd just go back to the 65" ks9000 I had before this one.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Quick question...

I just purchased the 940D thanks to an a eBay deal if the day for a scream.

Regarding 3D... What else do I need to get to have 3D up and running?

Any recommendations on a good set of active shutter glasses?

Finally, was there ever a confirmed answer about 2D to 3D conversation on this model?

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Quick question...

I just purchased the 940D thanks to an a eBay deal if the day for a scream.

Finally, was there ever a confirmed answer about 2D to 3D conversation on this model?

Thank you.
Yeah that was a sweet deal...

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Quick question...

Thank you.
I have the Sony TDG-BT500A Active glasses and they work great!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All,
I just bought this TV and it will be delivered in a few days.
Can someone please point me to a link with the suggested picture settings for this model?
Thanks.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Quick question...

Thank you.
I have the Sony TDG-BT500A Active glasses and they work great!
Thanks, I'll check them out. Do I need to purchase an emitter or is the TV good to go once I grab some glasses?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Love my tv. Really great for all kinds of movies. But...Lol last night watched sicario. Some good black scenes and the pic was great except for the first time I noticed towards the end of the movie when the sicario was in the back seat of the police car at night so the pic was pretty dark...since they were speaking Spanish the close caption popped up and the blooming was horrific. It was so bad the white letters were bleeding down in the letterbox. It was really hard to watch. I'm in hdr mode regular setting if you will with true cinema on. With it off the blooming/bleeding was even worse.ok so this is the strange part. Put in blu-ray just so I could see the difference between the two and the blooming is gone in the same scene. I'm in stadard mode with very few tweaks. The blacks were actually little better(I know crazy) the pic in uhd is definitely better though as far as normal scenes. Any thoughts. Still love the tv just the first time I noticed anything that really shouldn't happen

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Love my tv. Really great for all kinds of movies. But...Lol last night watched sicario. Some good black scenes and the pic was great except for the first time I noticed towards the end of the movie when the sicario was in the back seat of the police car at night so the pic was pretty dark...since they were speaking Spanish the close caption popped up and the blooming was horrific. It was so bad the white letters were bleeding down in the letterbox. It was really hard to watch. I'm in hdr mode regular setting if you will with true cinema on. With it off the blooming/bleeding was even worse.ok so this is the strange part. Put in blu-ray just so I could see the difference between the two and the blooming is gone in the same scene. I'm in stadard mode with very few tweaks. The blacks were actually little better(I know crazy) the pic in uhd is definitely better though as far as normal scenes. Any thoughts. Still love the tv just the first time I noticed anything that really shouldn't happen
Yep, HDR does cause light bleeding into the letter-boxed bars in certain scenes where you won't see it in the 1080p version. I had watched Sacario on one of the movie channels and there was zero light bleed into my black bars. It was one of the best films I've seen for displaying black levels on the 940D.

This serves to show us that HDR will accentuate BOTH the good and the bad. It certainly shows us the better contrast, colors, details and black levels, but it also shows the inherent weakness in the local dimming when a very bright object is adjacent to the letter-boxed bars (the local dimming isn't able to keep the light out when the HDR is boosting the contrast of a bright object).

·
Registered
335 Posts
Is anyone that updated their 940D with the marshmallow update now having their audio switch back to the tv speakers each time an input is changed? I'm not sure what I can enable/disable on the tv or my Denon x4200w to fix it.
Are you using ARC to connect the tv to your AVR? Same question for others reporting this issue.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Yep, HDR does cause light bleeding into the letter-boxed bars in certain scenes where you won't see it in the 1080p version.

This serves to show us that HDR will accentuate BOTH the good and the bad. It certainly shows us the better contrast, colors, details and black levels, but it also shows the inherent weakness in the local dimming when a very bright object is adjacent to the letter-boxed bars (the local dimming isn't able to keep the light out when the HDR is boosting the contrast of a bright object).
OK thanks for the reply. Sorry if this has been discussed before. Good info.

7581 - 7600 of 13317 Posts