AVS Forum banner

7601 - 7620 of 13317 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
I'm having the issue and use ARC. Only for OTA channels and any tv apps I would be using though. No issues with ARC since the update.
Seems the issue may be related to the hdmi-cec functions which cannot be disabled if you want to use ARC. I assume those of us using optical out wouldn't have issues?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Well got my replacement in today from Best Buy, and tested the same scenes from the UHD blu's of The Accountant and The Shallows. Looks perfect now, no banding or clouding anywhere to be seen with HDR in full effect. The screen is nice and uniform as well. The only negative is this one has a little more black dot/moving text smearing than the previous one. It's still not too bad, but since it was almost non-existent on the old tv this one is worse. On the plus side it's not visible at all during normal viewing. Now I only hope it stays in this condition and no issues develop. I'm a happy camper again.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well got my replacement in today from Best Buy, and tested the same scenes from the UHD blu's of The Accountant and The Shallows. Looks perfect now, no banding or clouding anywhere to be seen with HDR in full effect. The screen is nice and uniform as well. The only negative is this one has a little more black dot/moving text smearing than the previous one. It's still not too bad, but since it was almost non-existent on the old tv this one is worse. On the plus side it's not visible at all during normal viewing. Now I only hope it stays in this condition and no issues develop. I'm a happy camper again.
Would you mind reporting back in a couple of days? That was my experience with my second set but the clouding started to show up on the second day.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I have not upgraded to marshmallow. Today for no reason while watching a dvd I get this message " no input detected, the TV will turn off in 1 minute"! What the heck is that? I didn't change any settings. Some kind of power savings? But I mean I was watching video....

FWIW blacks on UHD disc still okay without upgrading to marshmallow.

Any ideas?

BJBBJB

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
This serves to show us that HDR will accentuate BOTH the good and the bad. It certainly shows us the better contrast, colors, details and black levels, but it also shows the inherent weakness in the local dimming when a very bright object is adjacent to the letter-boxed bars (the local dimming isn't able to keep the light out when the HDR is boosting the contrast of a bright object).

I remain unconvinced on better black levels. With streamed HDR, all I have at the moment, HDR has elevated black levels over regular 4K. I have no scientific basis to support my observation, but to me its almost like the greater brightness of HDR comes at the cost of black levels. Narco has better black levels than any of the HDR programing I've seen on Netflix or Amazon.

It could be our set isn't problem at all. When the Oppo 205 comes out I'm hoping to find that streamed HDR is. If someone has a 203 I'd really like to hear from you. How does HDR on disc compare to streamed?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Would you mind reporting back in a couple of days? That was my experience with my second set but the clouding started to show up on the second day.

Not a problem, will do

·
Registered
321 Posts
I remain unconvinced on better black levels. With streamed HDR, all I have at the moment, HDR has elevated black levels over regular 4K. I have no scientific basis to support my observation, but to me its almost like the greater brightness of HDR comes at the cost of black levels. Narco has better black levels than any of the HDR programing I've seen on Netflix or Amazon.

It could be our set isn't problem at all. When the Oppo 205 comes out I'm hoping to find that streamed HDR is. If someone has a 203 I'd really like to hear from you. How does HDR on disc compare to streamed?

I have the Oppo 203, what specifically did you want to know? Which gets brighter?

·
Registered
276 Posts
So I just picked up my 940D today and I will say I am impressed - my 9G Kuro finally is being retired and I'm not even mad one bit. I dreaded the day I replaced it because I swore nothing would look better and, for the most part, I was wrong!

One thing I cannot find a straight answer on though, does Amazon no longer support their Instant Video app? I keep getting an error saying my log in is incorrect (it's not). I cleared the cache for the app and tried again but still no luck. I want to use the TV as I don't have any devices to deliver 4K to the TV as of yet. Netflix 4K works perfect though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey guys, I am thinking of getting this Sony. For now I mostly watch Dish Network TV and play Xbox One (non S) where this tv would be. I have read a few pro reviews that say this content looks almost 4k like upscaled on this tv, but I have also read several times on some forums that this content will not look as good upscaled on any 4k tv as it does on a decent 1080p set.

So which is it? Any info/opinions from you guys that own this Sony and have used this content would be much appreciated, Thanks!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Hey guys, I am thinking of getting this Sony. For now I mostly watch Dish Network TV and play Xbox One (non S) where this tv would be. I have read a few pro reviews that say this content looks almost 4k like upscaled on this tv, but I have also read several times on some forums that this content will not look as good upscaled on any 4k tv as it does on a decent 1080p set.

So which is it? Any info/opinions from you guys that own this Sony and have used this content would be much appreciated, Thanks!
On mine, I was kind of disappointed with what DirecTV looks like using the scaler in the TV, soft and noisy picture, but it depends a little on the channel. Some channels are compressed less and thus look better. The movie channels look pretty good, but no where near "4k like". Local channels are some of the most compressed and they look like garbage. For DirecTV I ended up setting my preamp to upscale to 4k and I'm much happier with the results. HDMI handshake takes longer but it does a much better job handling highly compressed signals.

With a high quality 1080p source (Blu Ray) the upscaling is Excellent. Blu Rays are definitely 4k like. Legend of Tarzan was stunning! Older Blu Rays seem to have a bit more noise, but not at all distracting. And they still have great detail.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Reactions: Doogle

·
Registered
416 Posts
I see some of you have upgraded your TVs to Marshmallow. How do you do this? I'm still on 5.1.1 and when I check for updates it says I have the latest firmware. Can you force the update somehow? I'm having issues with the ARC and it appears this is fixed with the Marshmallow update. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

·
Registered
416 Posts
So I just picked up my 940D today and I will say I am impressed - my 9G Kuro finally is being retired and I'm not even mad one bit. I dreaded the day I replaced it because I swore nothing would look better and, for the most part, I was wrong!

One thing I cannot find a straight answer on though, does Amazon no longer support their Instant Video app? I keep getting an error saying my log in is incorrect (it's not). I cleared the cache for the app and tried again but still no luck. I want to use the TV as I don't have any devices to deliver 4K to the TV as of yet. Netflix 4K works perfect though.
For the Amazon app you just login using your Amazon username and pwd that you use to login on the website. If you can login on the website, login to the app with the same credentials.

Reactions: gwsat

·
Registered
293 Posts
Any recommendations on a good set of active shutter glasses?
I got these. They block any light source from the sides much better than the Sony glasses.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006CRUZG4?psc=1
Thanks... Can you comment on any issues with the glasses or 75" screen in 3D?

There's an Amazon review from someone explaining some issues with these glasses on the 75X940D. Any thoughts on that review or the issues described?

here's a quote from that review...
"...These fit great and give a great 3d image, but... but... there was a very noticeable "flicker" across the top of the glasses. I contacted the seller and they let me know that the issue appears to be ONLY with the high end sony's and only with a 4k 3d blue ray. That makes sense based on the reviews I've read. They recommend I return these and wait for the manufacturer to work out the bug..."

Thank you

7601 - 7620 of 13317 Posts