AVS Forum banner

7661 - 7680 of 13317 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
I find the streaming UHD HDR content on Netflix to be underwhelming. To me it just looks washed out. Is that the tv or the content? I'm leaning towards the content. I find regular non HDR UHD movies on Netflix look much better.

Meanwhile HDR mode playing FFXV on my PS4 pro looks amazing. An obvious improvement over non HDR mode in the game.

Edit: I meant streamed UHD HDR content to be underwhelming. Not UHD content.

·
Registered
211 Posts
That would suck however, I highly doubt that would happen as you were able to install firmware on the 940D that wasn't intended for the 940D.
I guess the big question is would Sony name the file different and give it a different date than the 940c update? They seem to be in the habit of naming updates the same across most models.

I guess comparing the file sizes of the two would give a good indication of whether there are actually differences.

·
** Man of Leisure **
22,873 Posts
I find the streaming UHD content on Netflix to be underwhelming. To me it just looks washed out. Is that the tv or the content? I'm leaning towards the content. I find regular non HDR UHD movies on Netflix look much better.

Meanwhile HDR mode playing FFXV on my PS4 pro looks amazing. An obvious improvement over non HDR mode in the game.
I am currently watching the OA, which is HDR. Much of the first two episodes I have watched were dark, dreary and definitely had a washed out look. I don't think it is limited to Netflix. I don't think the PQ on Mozart in the Jungle on Amazon is very good either. Certainly neither streaming program is anywhere near as good as UHD/HDR on my Oppo 203. And 1080p content on the Oppo looks better than streamed UHD content. Disappointing.

However, some streaming content, particularly the demo clips, can look quite good. So I think it's the content, not the performance of the Sony display that is at fault.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I am currently watching the OA, which is HDR. Much of the first two episodes I have watched were dark, dreary and definitely had a washed out look. I don't think it is limited to Netflix. I don't think the PQ on Mozart in the Jungle on Amazon is very good either. Certainly neither streaming program is anywhere near as good as UHD/HDR on my Oppo 203. And 1080p content on the Oppo looks better than streamed UHD content. Disappointing.

However, some streaming content, particularly the demo clips, can look quite good. So I think it's the content, not the performance of the Sony display that is at fault.
Yeah, I find most of the high quality 1080p blu ray rips I've watched to look pretty darn good. Granted, I am doing some processing to 1080p MkV rips with the media player I'm using(Emby with madvr) but regular blu ray content still looks great on this set.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Looks like everyone did, following Amazon's lead. I literally WATCHED the price go down on Amazon unintentionally while I was researching these sets on Sony's official site. Saturday afternoon Amazon dropped both the 850D and the 940D by $500.00. At that point, it was before I had decided to put on the brakes and SLOW DOWN or I was ready to jump in my car with my cell phone's browser on Amazon's page and buy it from Best Buy, because they always price-match if you have an official source for your price. At that point, it was before Best Buy and pretty much everyone else followed Amazon's lead.

As an aside, thanks to everyone for turning me onto Square Trade. I have a Costco Visa card and I am a member of Costco (though that doesn't seem to matter) and while I am NOT a fan of extended warranties almost ever, under a hundred bucks to insure a purchase of almost $4K sounds like a nice deal to me!

Going back to Best Buy, I also like their free delivery-setup better than Amazon's, and now it seems like they are also offering a free wall mount and installation, though I don't need either one of those as I want to put it on a nice TV stand.

This one, in fact:

What stand is that? Got a link?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
541 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Kyle, how do you assess the result of disabling these Apps? Is there a way to measure the performance improvement, or is it subjective?
This is subjective, however I challenge anyone here to make those changes and not see a positive impact on performance.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Dang, the top opening isn't big enough for my Polk center...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I hear you. If you have a true full sized middle speaker it may be very difficult to find the right entertainment center without sticking it behind the TV, which is obviously not preferable.

This is subjective, however I challenge anyone here to make those changes and not see a positive impact on performance.
Of course it's subjective. Unless Sony decides to release empirical data based on tests by their engineers, then all we really have is one another in the customer base to try new things and report their subjective observations, so that it may help the community. I am very grateful when someone posts information that may help increase performance, even if it is subjective. At least it gives your fellow customers something else to try.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I assume you guys talking about the poor PQ of football broadcasts are using the built in scaler? Do you guys have anything else that you could use to scale to 4k? The built in scaler does very well with high quality, low compression sources, but not so well with highly compressed sources like cable and satellite. I am upscaling (DirecTV only) to 4k in my Integra DHC 80.3 and it was a very noticeable improvement, especially with sports. It's not 4k like by any stretch, but it does look much better, better than in looked on my old 1080p TV. Might give it a try if you have something else that will scale to 1080p.
I don't want to run my DirecTV through my Yamaha, its just too much volume for regular TV.
Do you process it through your receiver but still use the TV speakers?

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Seems the issue may be related to the hdmi-cec functions which cannot be disabled if you want to use ARC. I assume those of us using optical out wouldn't have issues?
I have my DirecTV box -> AVR -> HDMI1 and the receiver operates correctly with CEC to power on and off, control volume, and it is configured to auto-switch the audio input to the HDMI input from the DTV box and the TOSLINK cable from the TV (for other sources). Zero issues.

I find the streaming UHD HDR content on Netflix to be underwhelming. To me it just looks washed out. Is that the tv or the content? I'm leaning towards the content. I find regular non HDR UHD movies on Netflix look much better.

Edit: I meant streamed UHD HDR content to be underwhelming. Not UHD content.
I think the 4K content being streamed from Netflix to be absolutely no better than any 1080i content that I play locally.

Does anybody else feel ripped off on the Dolby vision thing - they are going to roll it out for the Z9D...
Yeah. I'm really pi$$ed that I didn't get the same level of functionality as a set that costs $5000 more.

[/sarcasm]

·
Registered
100 Posts
Active 3D glasses

Thanks... Can you comment on any issues with the glasses or 75" screen in 3D?

There's an Amazon review from someone explaining some issues with these glasses on the 75X940D. Any thoughts on that review or the issues described?

here's a quote from that review...
"...These fit great and give a great 3d image, but... but... there was a very noticeable "flicker" across the top of the glasses. I contacted the seller and they let me know that the issue appears to be ONLY with the high end sony's and only with a 4k 3d blue ray. That makes sense based on the reviews I've read. They recommend I return these and wait for the manufacturer to work out the bug..."

Thank you

I got 5 pair of these glasses over the weekend (Active 3D glasses) and tried them out yesterday. They are extremely comfortable and the 3D picture quality is good. HOWEVER, it would appear the "flicker" issue is indeed there. Somewhat crushed about that as they are excellent otherwise. It doesn't seem to occur all the time, but mainly when there are brighter scenes. It occurs right at the very top of the glasses, you can almost look past it....guess it depends on your level of tolerance. Looks like I may be sending these back and trying to source the Sony version of 3D glasses.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I think the 4K content being streamed from Netflix to be absolutely no better than any 1080i content that I play locally.
I find the regular 4k content from Netflix to be pretty good for the most part. Is it like watching a UHD disk? No, But I think its certainly better than 1080i. It's the HDR content I find really disappointing. It's just washed out.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I got 5 pair of these glasses over the weekend (Active 3D glasses) and tried them out yesterday. They are extremely comfortable and the 3D picture quality is good. HOWEVER, it would appear the "flicker" issue is indeed there. Somewhat crushed about that as they are excellent otherwise. It doesn't seem to occur all the time, but mainly when there are brighter scenes. It occurs right at the very top of the glasses, you can almost look past it....guess it depends on your level of tolerance. Looks like I may be sending these back and trying to source the Sony version of 3D glasses.
When watching a 3D movie. Go to settings and change Motionflow to Off. Give it a try and tell me if you see any difference.

Also what Blu-Ray UHD player are you using? with the Samsung UHD Player I had similar result like you until I turned Off Motionflow while watching a 3D movie. However, with my Sony S970, Oppo 203 and XboxOne S I had no problems and I could put motion flow setting to any selection. I only had the slight flicker (sometimes) with the Samsung and the only fix was Motionflow off and all my other players all the motion flow settings work and no flicker.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I haven't upgraded since nothing "official" has been released for the 940D. I'll wait for the official update as I'm sure Sony is probably "fine tuning" things specifically for the 940D. The way I see it is if the 940C firmware update was meant to be for the 940D as well, they would've released it already.
So you realize Marshmallow is the Android system on 940D's that are shipping today.:D

·
Registered
70 Posts
I hope the official update really is tweaked and not just the same update as the 940c or there is going to be ALOT of unhappy folks.
Why? Based on your experience which we don't know is related to the update at all??? Try re-installing the Marshmallow update...perhaps YOUR install was corrupted. I personally have had NO issues with the update...

·
Registered
211 Posts
Why? Based on your experience which we don't know is related to the update at all??? Try re-installing the Marshmallow update...perhaps YOUR install was corrupted. I personally have had NO issues with the update...
Why so defensive? I've said SEVERAL times my issues might not be related to the update at all. I can't reinstall the update. I can't revert to lollipop.

My comment was more about the loss of external audio when switching between hdmi inputs which has been mentioned by a few other people in here that have updated to marshmallow. It's very annoying.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Thanks... Can you comment on any issues with the glasses or 75" screen in 3D?

There's an Amazon review from someone explaining some issues with these glasses on the 75X940D. Any thoughts on that review or the issues described?

here's a quote from that review...
"...These fit great and give a great 3d image, but... but... there was a very noticeable "flicker" across the top of the glasses. I contacted the seller and they let me know that the issue appears to be ONLY with the high end sony's and only with a 4k 3d blue ray. That makes sense based on the reviews I've read. They recommend I return these and wait for the manufacturer to work out the bug..."

Thank you

I appreciate the confirmation... I'll hold off buying those for now since the reviewer did mention the manufacturer is looking into solving the issue.

I snagged some of the 500a glasses for now.

·
Registered
293 Posts
When watching a 3D movie. Go to settings and change Motionflow to Off. Give it a try and tell me if you see any difference.

Also what Blu-Ray UHD player are you using? with the Samsung UHD Player I had similar result like you until I turned Off Motionflow while watching a 3D movie. However, with my Sony S970, Oppo 203 and XboxOne S I had no problems and I could put motion flow setting to any selection. I only had the slight flicker (sometimes) with the Samsung and the only fix was Motionflow off and all my other players all the motion flow settings work and no flicker.
Very interesting... I'll be waiting for an answer about this too.

7661 - 7680 of 13317 Posts