AVS Forum banner

8561 - 8580 of 13317 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Thanks for the answer! Well, either way, I am picking up an XBox One S, and it looks like that will be fine for UHD HDR. So unless I need something else, I should probably just stick with that, right?
Well you'll have the benefit of also having a game console and a nice selection of apps. I condsidered the Xbox one s but I just don't need another game console which I'm not going to use for anything other than the 4k player in it. I already have a PS4 pro and a gaming/htpc I've sunk about 4 grand into. I just needed a simple 4K player.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Well you'll have the benefit of also having a game console and a nice selection of apps. I condsidered the Xbox one s but I just don't need another game console which I'm not going to use for anything other than the 4k player in it. I already have a PS4 pro and a gaming/htpc I've sunk about 4 grand into. I just needed a simple 4K player.
Good point! Sounds like the fact that I wanted to buy an XBox One Pro anyway, works out rather serendipitous for me, I guess. ;)

·
Registered
541 Posts
Good point. Sounds like the fact that I was planning on getting an XBox One Pro anyway is sort serendipitous for me.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Your questions don't have an easy answer, and I don't have experience with Darbee processed video so I don't know if I can give you a definitive answer.

I should have included this last night, but I just added the following edit to my original post: EDIT: This is most evident in the detail of brightly lit clouds in the sky. True HDR can add a decent and visually impressive amount of additional detail and color to bright cloudy skies. This wasn't super obvious in The Magnificent Seven, but many scenes in The Legend of Tarzan have impressively colored and textured cloudy skies that get a bit washed out with my Quasi HDR mode. END EDIT

Since, at least with the current firmware the 940D has an elevated black level in HDR mode, and you value absolute black level it's not a no brainer recommendation for you to upgrade to UHD Blu-Ray. If the elevated black level is fixed with a firmware update then it is a no brainer upgrade.

With my Quasi HDR mode that I posted last night, you get the black level and shadow detail you're accustomed to with standard Blu-Ray. You'll also get the improved detail of 4k vs 2k. I sit at about 10-11 feet from my TV and while the improved detail is not night and day difference, but 4k does add noticeable fine detail. But I've also heard that Darbee processing gives the impression of more detail, though I've never seen it in action myself. So the question is how much perceived detail does Darbee add over non Darbee processed 1080p? If it's noticeable then you may want to stick with your 103D and wait and see if Sony fixes the elevated black level in HDR with a future firmware update. If Darbee doesn't add any perceived increase in detail then you may want to upgrade to UHD BRD now and use my Quasi HDR settings. Like I said it's not an easy answer.

Maybe sometime over the next few days I'll get some time to take some HQ stills with my DSLR to show the differences between the settings.
So you're positive these issues weren't present before the October update?

·
Registered
73 Posts
You've already stated your set is defective. I have not had to reboot my set ever, and I've had it for two months. Don't equate a problem with your device to Android "sucking".
I haven't had to reboot mine, either. At least, not for the last month. I've had it for two.

·
Registered
98 Posts
No. If you are certain you are watching HDR content (e.g. the Man in the High Castle on Amazon), then the display should automatically switch to HDR Picture Mode.
I have Roku 4 ultra, fast internet. Roku is set to 4k UHD HDR. All Netflix shows in HDR remain on Cinema pro mode!
Even Netflix on TV app does the same thing: no automatic switch to HDR Video.
I have a Yamaha 3050 with mode 1 4K and my UHD bluray player passes HDR signal through fine, so it is not the receiver!
Is there a setting I am missing?
Thanks

Update: Amazon is fine: had to use the HDR channel!
However Netflix is still a no go

Update 2: Never mind. I think it is just a matter of picking the right stream

·
Registered
572 Posts
November 2016 build.

The operating system on this 940D is utter garbage. The Android TV is total rubbish. I can't believe people tolerate this nonsense and that everyone is not complaining very loudly.

Mine must be defective. I can't imagine everyone's is as bad as mine. Perhaps Sony wanted to save on costs and left a memory chip out of mine, to save a few bucks.

The remote is also total garbage. For the asking price it should be backlit and light up automatically when you pick it up, like my Xfinity remote.

Things that should be totally intuitive are baffling, and make me literally want to tear my hair out.

For example, something as simple as ejecting my local storage: how do I do it? I do not see an easy way to safely eject my HDD.

Those cheapskates at Sony did not give us all three USB ports 3.0, but only one of them, correct? The other two are 2.0, right? Would it have been so hard to simply label the 3.0 one as 3.0 so I could be sure I was using the 3.0 one? USB number 3 looks different than the other two, is that the 3.0 one?

The USB ports are so high up on this TV that my HDD cord is not long enough, and my drive will dangle in the air. Nice work, you Sony engineer clowns. I have a USB extender, but it's pretty old so I am fairly sure it is 2.0.

Is that why I am getting stuttering on many 4k and 4k HDR files when I attempt to play them from my WD passport HDD?

The built-in media player is total crap. It either doesn't recognize my HDD or it takes forever to scan it and after minutes I got tired of waiting and gave up. Then it has these stupid overly large icons, and truncates the folders and filenames and aggregates content from several subfolders into one giant list, instead of keeping everything in its proper folder so I can browse to find it easily. When it did recognize my HDD it wanted to spend forever and a day making thumbnails of everything.

I installed VLC and it is hardly any better. One again stupid overly-large folder icons.

All I want is something to look like windows explorer list view, without all the stupid jumbo icons taking up half the screen. I just want a vertical list without truncated folders and filenames.

I downloaded Kodi app. First time I ever used it. I can actually deal with that one. It gives me a nice simple clean list view without all the stupid jumbo icons, and it does not truncate my filnenames. I can quickly see and navigate to the files I want.

Only trouble is, it also stutters and won't play some of my high-bitrate 4K and 4K HDR demos (I have easily well over a hundred).

For example, the built-in media player, VLC, and Kodi cannot play many of the LG HDR demos like Chess and Cynematic Jazz, etc. and also some Samsung ones.

Kodi was able to play Sony Camp HDR demo smoothly, but there was visible smearing around the paddles while they were canoeing.

Is it possible to load Marshmellow on this piece of crap? Whatever version I've got now is total garbage. Utter rubbish.

I went to the update icon in the home screen and all I got was a white screen with black text saying something about a new Android TV update beginning to roll out in December 2016, and then a link to a website.

It is the middle of February for crying out loud! What is this, some kind of multi-year roll-out?

Can I manually install Marshmellow on this thing? I am not going to put up with this crap for months.

Sony better fix this garbage lickety split or they are taking this defective TV back.

Just get some double sided mounting tape and stick that hard drive to the back of the tv. Assuming it's not running too hot, it should be ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
423 Posts
I have the same issue as well. I finally got a chance to do a full factory reset this weekend. The "erasing" screen with the Droid looked amazing. The results after the reset were the same (all over the place). I played the Sony HDR Camping demo (which overall still looks amazing) and at the end there was very noticeable clouding during the Sony logo screen. That clouding was not there before the October update. I think that update does something to the TVs and Sony hasn't figured it out yet. Having an OLED as my secondary TV isn't helping :). That being said, I think I'm going to just live with the problems and hope they fix it in a future update.
So you're positive these issues weren't present before the October update?
No, I am not positive the elevated black level was not present before the October update. I'm basing it on a couple things. First the red text in the quote above (post 8441). He mentions noticing clouding in the Sony logo screen of an HDR demo that was not present before the October update. I'm guessing the "clouding" he's talking about is from DSE that is not visible when local dimming is working correctly. I see the same type of cloudiness on full black and dim low contrast scenes in my set when watching HDR UHD BRDs; it is also visible in the letterbox bars. Second, the backlight should be sufficiently bright to support HDR without negatively impacting local dimming performance. I have confirmed this (subjectively) with the quasi HDR settings I've been playing with the last couple nights.

I have tweaked my Quasi HDR mode settings a bit and did some more testing and I'm now VERY happy with the results. I'm going to try to get some HQ stills and post some comparisons tomorrow night. Based on what I was able to achieve tonight I would be perfectly happy using my Quasi HDR mode if Sony never fixes the elevated black level problem. The only catch with using my settings is your UHD BRD player needs to be able to strip the HDR meta data from from the video signal without converting it to SDR. Does the Philips player do that?

·
Registered
423 Posts
I have Roku 4 ultra, fast internet. Roku is set to 4k UHD HDR. All Netflix shows in HDR remain on Cinema pro mode!
Even Netflix on TV app does the same thing: no automatic switch to HDR Video.
I have a Yamaha 3050 with mode 1 4K and my UHD bluray player passes HDR signal through fine, so it is not the receiver!
Is there a setting I am missing?
Thanks

Update: Amazon is fine: had to use the HDR channel!
However Netflix is still a no go

Update 2: Never mind. I think it is just a matter of picking the right stream
Does your Netflix HDR content render very dark? There is an issue with the current Roku firmware (v7.5.1) where the Roku is not recognizing the HDR data in the Netflix app so it is not going to trigger the HDR mode and HDR content is rendered very dark. There are also other associated issues as well. According to what I've seen they are working on a fix in the next firmware update. In the meantime if you want to watch 4k content on Netflix, go into the Roku Display Type setting and switch to standard 4k non HDR. This will allow Netflix 4k content to render correctly, but without HDR of course.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I am still very new to this TV. How can I tell if the HDR content is "kicking in on the X940".
What can I look for?
The Picture mode will automatically lock into HDR video mode and you wont be able to switch it. If you are using an external source, UHD BRD, Roku, or other, be sure to connect to HDMI 2 or 3 and set those inputs to Enhanced mode in the external input settings. HDMI 2 and 3 are the only ones that support HDR, but they need to be set to enhanced to display it correctly. Default setting is "Standard".

If you are using the internal apps, than any HDR programming should automatically switch the picture mode to HDR Video.

·
Registered
485 Posts
The Picture mode will automatically lock into HDR video mode and you wont be able to switch it. If you are using an external source, UHD BRD, Roku, or other, be sure to connect to HDMI 2 or 3 and set those inputs to Enhanced mode in the external input settings. HDMI 2 and 3 are the only ones that support HDR, but they need to be set to enhanced to display it correctly. Default setting is "Standard".

If you are using the internal apps, than any HDR programming should automatically switch the picture mode to HDR Video.
Huh? Did I miss something?? HDMI 2 and HDMI 3 are the only inputs that support HDR?

·
Registered
643 Posts
You've already stated your set is defective. I have not had to reboot my set ever, and I've had it for two months. Don't equate a problem with your device to Android "sucking".
The Android software, which is integrated with the TV OS, does seem defective. My TV rebooted itself on its own today! This model is 10+ months old now, and it still has glitches where the TV reboots itself? I've never had a TV which rebooted itself before.

The picture itself is not defective. For the most part its picture is quite nice.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Well I don't know about all the apps either because I really don't use them. Bought the tv simply for its beautiful picure and size. The few apps I used were not buggy but again I only used a couple. I actually did a demo with the oled side by side and I honestly thought this tv was on par. I feel if anybody is unhappy with the purchase please take it back. Big investment to be so disappointed.
So no one here actually uses the internal media player, VLC, Kodi, or some other app to play their 4K or 4K HDR demo files off a hard drive? How do people play the LG HDR demos, like Chess or Jazz on their 940D?

I actually did a demo with the oled side by side and I honestly thought this tv was on par.
You did a demo in a completely dark room? I set my OLED C6 right next to the 940D in my home. That is my 64" Samsung plasma on the side.

I am not wanting to turn this into an 940D vs. OLED thread. One can get a 75" 940D for just a little more than the 65" OLED, so the main advantage with the 940D is the extra size for the money. The 77" OLED is ridiculously expensive.

Most people who bought the 940D rather than the 65" OLED did so because of the extra 10 inches, not because they believe the picture on par in a dark room.

The 940D is nice in a dark room, perfectly enjoyable, but the OLED and the Z9D are significantly better on challenging dark scenes.

DSC07787.jpg

DSC07791.jpg

·
Registered
541 Posts
I set my OLED C6 right next to the 940D in my home. That is my 64" Samsung plasma on the side.

I am not wanting to turn this into an 940D vs. OLED thread. One can get a 75" 940D for just a little more than the 65" OLED, so the main advantage with the 940D is the extra size for the money. The 77" OLED is ridiculously expensive.

Most people who bought the 940D rather than the 65" OLED did so because of the extra 10 inches, not because they believe the picture on par in a dark room.

The 940D is nice in a dark room, perfectly enjoyable, but the OLED and the Z9D are significantly better on challenging dark scenes.
The parts I underlined and made bold and colored are ABSOLUTELY true. If I was willing to pay the price of 75 or 77 inch OLED or I was willing to settle for a 65 inch set, then I would choose one of the OLED models, or actually, more likely, would wait for the 2017 sets to launch in a few weeks.

But I want 75 inches, as obviously does everyone in this thread.

Look, your post illustrates perfectly that if you aren't willing to pay upwards of $8K to $10K on the coming top of the line 75+ inch sets, then you have to accept that your choice, no matter what it is, will come with some compromises, period. As you said, you either choose a picture that is **slightly inferior or you go with the higher end picture and a smaller size. You know what? I want to be happy with my purchase, and NOT blame SONY because I chose the "compromise route" or couldn't afford to do otherwise.

The fact is that the 940D is certainly not an entry level set, but neither is it the very top of the line. So my feeling is, if I am not going to be happy with compromises, then I should just stick with my perfectly all right 55" 1080p and save my money until I can buy a $10Kish set. My point is that I want to be happy with my 940D when I buy it soon. I don't want to unwrap it and start second guessing every single element of the picture clarity, black levels, darkened-room viewing, and every single little thing I personally probably won't notice anyway because I don't have two sets side by side.

That's another great thing about your side by side comparison (and by the way, you have WAY too much time on your hands and way too many TV sets to be considered healthy! lol I am kidding, obviously. I really appreciate your meticulous testing). You can clearly see that the picture on the 65 inch screen is a little darker, maybe a little better overall. But so what? Buy a better or smaller set like you suggested if you can't tolerate the difference. I honestly think that I personally would not even see it if you didn't have those sets right next to one another.

Also, something to bear in mind smaller screens with the same resolution tend to look a little sharper and clearer. This is why cell phones and tablets look as amazing as they do, because the screens are tiny in comparison. I am sure that being 10 inches smaller, even if the two sets were otherwise identical, the 65 inch would still look a little better side by side.

**I say slightly inferior, but I am not a true videophile. So for others it may be markedly inferior.

·
Registered
137 Posts
IN MY OPINION - I think people should drop $200 - 15% off at Jet.com (create new account) and buy a 16GB nvidia Shield for $170 shipped and use that as your main interface on your TV and forget about the built in android. The Shield is NOUGAT out of the box. NETFLIX, AMAZON VIdeo and everything else is all there for you (Kodi is a dream too if you install it) on the Shield as your main interface and it works beautifully.
Fully agree on this. The Shield is an excellent media streamer and works wonderfully for Youtube and Netflix. The controller (and the small remote) work better than the Sony remote, which I do not like. The Shield has 4K/HDR support, and I have used it to play 4K/HDR demo files from my NAS. I think the only thing missing regarding HDR, is that it cannot play Youtube HDR but my understanding is that at present, only the chromecast is able to to this, so hopefully Nvidia will release an update to allow the shield to play HDR from Youtube eventually.

Because both it and the 940 are running Android TV, the user interface is almost identical. If you don't like the Android TV UI, then this is not good news for those people, but I find it very easy to navigate and easily open the apps I want. Plus, I like that it is tied into the Google eco system (which I am using). If I am purchasing or renting movies/tv series, I am doing it in the Google Movies & TV app, which also allows me to view the same content on my Android phone/tablet. There are not a huge amount of apps available in the Play store (as they need to be Android TV compatible), but at least there are quite a few and more keep being added all the time.

On the 940, the cpu being used to drive the OS is not as powerful as the Tegra X1 chip in the Shield which makes the user experience much better on the Shield. I have read about many other users having issues with the 940 rebooting, but I think this is because the CPU/Memory that the 940 is allocating to the OS is not keeping up. Because I am using the Shield and hardly using the TV home screen/apps, I have only experienced a few TV reboots since owing my set since last May. Also - you will get much better OS firmware and app updates through the Shield vs. Sony on the 940.

I am not giving Sony an excuse for lack of update support, but just noting that for a more premium operating experience to match our premium sets, highly suggesting those users frustrated with the Sony TV apps, and other issues, you should consider a Shield. For me, it means treating the 940 as more of a panel only, and relying on external sources to provide the content. It also means you won't be limited to the potential audio out issues when using the built-in TV apps.

Reactions: Comp1demon

·
** Man of Leisure **
22,897 Posts
I am still very new to this TV. How can I tell if the HDR content is "kicking in on the X940".
What can I look for?
Touch the Action button on the remote and open the Picture Settings option. The first item in the list is the current picture mode. It should say "HDR Picture Mode".

8561 - 8580 of 13317 Posts