AVS Forum banner

8861 - 8880 of 13317 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Be careful, prices will go to there lowest point, then stay there, then shoot back up because they are almost gone. Whats the lowest point, that's the good question. I remember the Panasonic 65VT60 was $1999 on Amazon, people thought they would go lower, after amazon sold out of the 2000 units they had, prices went to $4500......:eek:.

CP is right. Snooze you lose.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Factory reset didn't solve the issue, looks like I need a replacement for my replacement....sigh
I have the Yamaha 3050 and at times I get the same thing! Have you tried disconnecting one of the HDMI outs on the Yamaha and use only one to see if problem persists?
I also am currently talking to Sony, but it is weird we both have Yamaha receivers.
Mine also regularly stops taking enhanced video on the HDMI on TV, but once I reset Android, it is OK again until a day later!
I also noticed if you go from the HDMI (what you are using) to another one and then back again, that sometimes helps.
But none of this is acceptable anyways; I just hope it is not the receiver

·
Registered
553 Posts
When hitting the discovery button, does anyone know what the hell is the featured section for. It just pops up and disappears and there is no way that I or Sony can disable it. I think it's a glitch. Also when hitting the Action Menu button, what is with the Twitter TV. I don't even have the twitter app and again neither myself or Sony can get rid of that. Any thoughts would be great.
Does anyone have these same issues with there TV. If some were you able to remedy it?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
When hitting the discovery button, does anyone know what the hell is the featured section for. It just pops up and disappears and there is no way that I or Sony can disable it. I think it's a glitch. Also when hitting the Action Menu button, what is with the Twitter TV. I don't even have the twitter app and again neither myself or Sony can get rid of that. Any thoughts would be great.
I saw that twitter thing a few times after I first got my set and then it disappeared and I tried for hours to try to figure out how to get it to come back and gave up. So, sorry, can't help other than offer that it will probably randomly disappear at some point.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I saw that twitter thing a few times after I first got my set and then it disappeared and I tried for hours to try to figure out how to get it to come back and gave up. So, sorry, can't help other than offer that it will probably randomly disappear at some point.
Thanks. Do you also see the featured section pop up and disappear when you hit the discovery button and toggle through the sections?

Joe

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Thanks. Do you also see the featured section pop up and disappear when you hit the discovery button and toggle through the sections?

Joe
I don't use it but just tried it and yes, it does disappear. I'm on Marshmallow by the way.

Just garbage features they never got working probably, but put in there to check a box on a marketing brochure or something. Pretty lame.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I don't use it but just tried it and yes, it does disappear. I'm on Marshmallow by the way.

Just garbage features they never got working probably, but put in there to check a box on a marketing brochure or something. Pretty lame.

I think I'm on Lollipop. Under the system apps it says Lollipop UI. How do you get the marshmallow update? It says no update available.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I think I'm on Lollipop. Under the system apps it says Lollipop UI. How do you get the marshmallow update? It says no update available.
There is a link somewhere back there to download the update and do it from a USB stick. It was released in other countries and the version numbers matched what the new 940D's are shipping with.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Marshmallow Update

Is everyone now running Marshmallow? I'm in NY and still on Lollipop and it says I'm on the latest software. Is there a way to flash it or will it come in time? Thanks

·
Registered
553 Posts
There is a link somewhere back there to download the update and do it from a USB stick. It was released in other countries and the version numbers matched what the new 940D's are shipping with.
Thanks. Whats odd is my set is only a week old and it came direct from there warehouse as I'm a dealer.

Thanks again

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have the Yamaha 3050 and at times I get the same thing! Have you tried disconnecting one of the HDMI outs on the Yamaha and use only one to see if problem persists?
I also am currently talking to Sony, but it is weird we both have Yamaha receivers.
Mine also regularly stops taking enhanced video on the HDMI on TV, but once I reset Android, it is OK again until a day later!
I also noticed if you go from the HDMI (what you are using) to another one and then back again, that sometimes helps.
But none of this is acceptable anyways; I just hope it is not the receiver
Yesterday I tried connecting my blu-ray player directly to the TV and bypassing the receiver and the picture kept blanking out so that eased my concerns of the Yamaha causing the issue.

I took a video of the problem so I can email it to Sony. That was in the morning but watching TV last evening the picture did not blank out. Strange.

Please keep us informed of what the solution is and I will do the same.

·
** Man of Leisure **
22,898 Posts
Is everyone now running Marshmallow? I'm in NY and still on Lollipop and it says I'm on the latest software. Is there a way to flash it or will it come in time? Thanks
The update Steve is referring to is actually meant for an earlier Sony model. Many of us prefer to wait until the official release for the 940D appears on the Sony web site. It is not clear that there are any serious issues with the update, but on the other hand, I have not heard of any "must have" enhancements, so why take the risk?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Yesterday I tried connecting my blu-ray player directly to the TV and bypassing the receiver and the picture kept blanking out so that eased my concerns of the Yamaha causing the issue.

I took a video of the problem so I can email it to Sony. That was in the morning but watching TV last evening the picture did not blank out. Strange.

Please keep us informed of what the solution is and I will do the same.
FWIW, this was happening on my Dad's new 65x850D, and we cured it with a new HDMI cable. It was the connection to the cable box/DVR, in his case.

Hope you get it sorted soon - please let us know what Sony says!

·
Registered
321 Posts
I'm sure it will be out soon enough. You aren't really missing much, my replacement 940D, manufactured January 2017 came with Marshmallow. The only difference I've noticed is the Android TV app that can be downloaded from the App Store or Google Play works as described. On my previous sets that came with Lollipop, the Android TV app wasn't compatible (keyboard entry issues).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Does the X940D do Lossless through ARC?

The reason i ask is that i have a Marantz AV8801 processor and it is not HDCP 2.2 comliant and has only HDMI 1.4 ports, i want to use my processor with this tv and get the full DTS-HD etc.... through the ARC port of the tv if possible.

·
Registered
211 Posts
The reason i ask is that i have a Marantz AV8801 processor and it is not HDCP 2.2 comliant and has only HDMI 1.4 ports, i want to use my processor with this tv and get the full DTS-HD etc.... through the ARC port of the tv if possible.
The ARC cannot do lossless audio. Just dolby digital(not plus) and DTS.

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
Has anyone with Dish Network tried viewing the FREE preview of Planet Earth 2 on their 4K channel? I ask because I tried and the picture kept "flashing" and every 60 seconds or so the screen would go dark for several seconds. There also wasn't any sound. When the channel isn't broadcasting anything there is a still picture advertising Planet Earth 2 and the same things happen.

I did a Google Search to see if this was being reported by others and I didn't get one hit.

·
Registered
21,193 Posts
The ARC cannot do lossless audio. Just dolby digital(not plus) and DTS.
Correct. In fact no streaming app can deliver lossless audio. For that you need a disk or a download of a disk's equivalent file delivered to the display via an HDMI connection.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Watched john wick again tonight. I've watched this movie a couple of times in regular blu ray. Watched the first part of it in UHD HDR blu ray up until the the father meets the son after he killed wicks dog and stole his car. I'm sorry. The regular blu ray just looks better. The color is better in regular blu ray. The contrast is better in regular blu ray. In my experience regular blu rays just look better than anything than I've watched in UHD disks so far. I'm not blaming the set. I'm just not sold on UHD. I have three UHD disks, the Martian, The Revenant and John Wick. IMO all three look better with the regular blu ray. I'll be buying regular blu rays until further notice.
The TV is capable of so much more than the current HDR implementation. I hope it can be fixed with a firmware update. I'm getting really good results with my Quasi HDR mode, John Wick looked incredible. Awesome true blacks, great color, great contrast and great shadow detail. But then Oppo released a new FW update on Friday. Overall it greatly improved the functioning of the Strip Metadata feature they are working on, but it added a new issue. It hard clips blacks at somewhere between 5% and 7.5%. This doesn't work well with John Wick.

Admittedly my Quasi HDR mode may not work with all UHD players. Did you ever mess with the settings on your Philips? It's very possible that Philips might be doing the same thing but in a different way. The Oppo update completely changed my method of getting the picture set correctly and greatly changed the final settings.

Reactions: hifi123
8861 - 8880 of 13317 Posts