AVS Forum banner

13301 - 13320 of 13328 Posts

·
Registered
12,877 Posts
From my initial testing it looks like the HDR/Motionflow/Local Dimming bug is finally fixed. Local dimming still takes place in HDR mode even when MotionFlow is OFF.
Wait...what? This was a thing??

I do not have the latest update...or even the last couple of updates...and have never noticed any problems with HDR and MotionFlow being off. :confused:

Reactions: Supero100

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hi all - Is anyone having a problem with this Firmware? I've never had a problems with my set but I'm having difficulties to get the set to come on at times. Sometimes the light will come on and it automatically turns itself off. I think have to physically reboot it. Anyone having any issues?

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,206 Posts
Hi all - Is anyone having a problem with this Firmware? I've never had a problems with my set but I'm having difficulties to get the set to come on at times. Sometimes the light will come on and it automatically turns itself off. I think have to physically reboot it. Anyone having any issues?
I have had no issues since the update.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Before the update my arc was working perfectly with Dolby sound, now it doesn’t pass Dolby to my Yamaha receiver. Hope this makes sense, wondering if anyone else is experiencing this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
Mine is in the basement now and I hardly watch it, but both times I turned it on since I updated with the new firmware it has turned itself off and rebooted.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am experiencing the exact same symptoms. Never an issue before the latest firmware update. Anyone know if you can revert or re-install the firmware?

Also just checked the Sony site and it looks like the update is no longer available (at least the file is no longer available)?

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I am experiencing the exact same symptoms. Never an issue before the latest firmware update. Anyone know if you can revert or re-install the firmware?

Also just checked the Sony site and it looks like the update is no longer available (at least the file is no longer available)?
Sony does not allow firmware downgrades. You are "stuck" with this firmware until Sony releases a newer version.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
This is one reason I have the TV do automatic updates.
???
Stuff like this is the reason I disconnected mine from the internet long ago.
I've got other ways to get apps, and better behaving ones at that. ;)

·
Registered
71 Posts
I unplugged the TV for a few minutes. Since I did this, the TV has not been restarting on its own. It was interesting when I turned the TV back on after the disconnect...it was like the TV was starting for the first time. I haven't checked the picture settings (I did AJ's some time ago), but the internet connection was lost.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I unplugged the TV for a few minutes. Since I did this, the TV has not been restarting on its own. It was interesting when I turned the TV back on after the disconnect...it was like the TV was starting for the first time. I haven't checked the picture settings (I did AJ's some time ago), but the internet connection was lost.
What you saw after the period of being unplugged was the TV starting up from a full, powered-off state. Yes, it did that when it was new, but that doesn't mean anything in the settings would get changed.

When you "turn your TV off", all you are doing is placing it into a standby state where the TV is technically "on" but consuming very little power. This allows it to go very quickly into a state where it can display a picture. By unplugging the TV, it lost ALL power and had to "start from the beginning" and load all of the base software that operates the TV before it could show you a picture.

This is normal.

·
Registered
71 Posts
What you saw after the period of being unplugged was the TV starting up from a full, powered-off state. Yes, it did that when it was new, but that doesn't mean anything in the settings would get changed.

When you "turn your TV off", all you are doing is placing it into a standby state where the TV is technically "on" but consuming very little power. This allows it to go very quickly into a state where it can display a picture. By unplugging the TV, it lost ALL power and had to "start from the beginning" and load all of the base software that operates the TV before it could show you a picture.

This is normal.
Thank you for the explanation, but I was connected to my home network and now I'm not? So some settings were "lost". The power cycle fixed my continual re-starts...Not sure if it is because there were apps or internet that had the conflict.

·
Registered
122 Posts
No problem with the update here either. I did it using the download/USB stick. However, I don't use the built-in apps although I did play with them after the update just to see if they were better or more reliable. No problems, but I'll stick with my 4k AppleTV.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Widescreen Review has an excellent review of the XBR-65X950H by Doug Blackburn. No link as it is paywall content, however we should support one of the few remaining serious HT mags. anyway.

Whether looking for a new display or not he has some very interesting explanations and technical background on Sony processing and how they have improved. Some of the comments may also help some understand our sets processing better too.

And for those that calibrate their sets, some helpful comments on calibrating in UHD mode.

BJBBJB

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,206 Posts
Widescreen Review has an excellent review of the XBR-65X950H by Doug Blackburn. No link as it is paywall content, however we should support one of the few remaining serious HT mags. anyway.

Whether looking for a new display or not he has some very interesting explanations and technical background on Sony processing and how they have improved. Some of the comments may also help some understand our sets processing better too.

And for those that calibrate their sets, some helpful comments on calibrating in UHD mode.

BJBBJB
I subscribe to WSR and read the review. The 950H is a step down from the Sony Master Series displays and is missing the CalMAN automated calibration capabilities, which was a huge advantage when I upgraded to a 75Z9F. Other than those two points, Doug seems to have liked the 950H's performance. He liked the Z9F in a recent review as well.

·
Registered
538 Posts

BJBBJB
I subscribe to WSR and read the review. The 950H is a step down from the Sony Master Series displays and is missing the CalMAN automated calibration capabilities, which was a huge advantage when I upgraded to a 75Z9F. Other than those two points, Doug seems to have liked the 950H's performance. He liked the Z9F in a recent review as well.
Yes, he definitely liked it. I thought I saw somewhere it was supposed to be compatible with calman autocal? I thought they added it to this line a year or two after this "D" model but could be mistaken.

BJBBJB

·
Registered
41 Posts
Latest update is working OK, but on occasion the TV will randomly reboot when I turn it on, or it will have issues with ARC sound when switching sources, which requires me to reboot manually. Unplugging the TV for 20 mins and restarting seemed to work at first but it just rebooted at startup again. Annoying!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
And the banding non-uniformity in gray scenes as well as the ghosting on this set is really starting to bug me. Think about making the jump to the LG CX. It's a shame this TV has these issues.... Might be my last Sony for a while.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

13301 - 13320 of 13328 Posts