AVS Forum banner

13321 - 13339 of 13339 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
I hate to beat a dead horse here, but this is getting ridiculous. My TV is resetting daily. It seems that if I change inputs after turning it on from "standby" mode, it gets angry and reboots.

For example, last night when I switched the TV off it was in HDMI mode for my Shield. When I turned it on today and I try to go to HDMI for Xbox, it gets "mad" and restarts. The same thing happened yesterday going from TV (the mode I turned it off on) to Shield HDMI.

I've also been having random glitches with HDMI CEC (bose soundbar).

Anyone else seeing this? Weeks ago I tried unplugging and starting over... But the problem persists. I'm hoping for a new update soon... This is annoying.

Hints or tips? Something is overwhelming the software or something.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
After the most recent firmware update mine was rebooting every time I turned it on. I did a factory reset and it’s been fine ever since. No reboots.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just sat down to play some PS4, pressed the PS button on the controller and the TV didn't turn on. Grabbed the remote and the remote is dead. Pressed the button on the side of the TV and.... nothing. Nothing at all. It's dead.

Anyone have any ideas of what I should do? I tried unplugging the TV and swapped out the extension cord that I was using and going straight into a power bar. That didn't help. I haven't run the TV directly into the wall yet, but I don't see that changing. No storms or other power issues since the last time I used the TV a day or two ago. I'm a bit frustrated right now as I certainly don't have money to get a new TV.

·
Registered
50 Posts
After the most recent firmware update mine was rebooting every time I turned it on. I did a factory reset and it’s been fine ever since. No reboots.
Thanks. I did a factory reset tonight to see if that works. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just sat down to play some PS4, pressed the PS button on the controller and the TV didn't turn on. Grabbed the remote and the remote is dead. Pressed the button on the side of the TV and.... nothing. Nothing at all. It's dead.

Anyone have any ideas of what I should do? I tried unplugging the TV and swapped out the extension cord that I was using and going straight into a power bar. That didn't help. I haven't run the TV directly into the wall yet, but I don't see that changing. No storms or other power issues since the last time I used the TV a day or two ago. I'm a bit frustrated right now as I certainly don't have money to get a new TV.
If you're not directly into working wall outlet it's going to be hard to diagnose. Extension cords aren't something I would normally recommend for TVs but I understand you may have constraints. Unplug it for a long time then try a known power source. If that doesn't work you might consider calling a repair service or contacting Sony. I'm so sorry to hear this happened!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Welp. That was quick. Two days after the factory reset I go to turn on the TV and it reboots again. Hopefully new firmware will come out soon.

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,394 Posts
Welp. That was quick. Two days after the factory reset I go to turn on the TV and it reboots again. Hopefully new firmware will come out soon.

Unfortunately, Dave, I am not sure this is a firmware issue. My 75-940D has not experienced a reboot for as long as I can remember. There must be something else that is different between your setup and mine that might be causing the issues. For example, are you using ARC or CEC? Are you frequently using the internal apps?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thanks for that input that's actually helpful information. I'll look into it... I haven't spent a lot of time on this since the factory reset. I am running ARC from HDMI4 into a Bose Soundbar 700. That soundbar itself is a bit finnicky so it might be the culprit... I will do more digging and make some adjustments. My only other components are an NVIDIA Shield, an antenna line and an Xbox One X. I never use the built in apps.

·
Registered
70 Posts
If you're not directly into working wall outlet it's going to be hard to diagnose. Extension cords aren't something I would normally recommend for TVs but I understand you may have constraints. Unplug it for a long time then try a known power source. If that doesn't work you might consider calling a repair service or contacting Sony. I'm so sorry to hear this happened!
Just an update for you (and others following). A tech came to my house and grabbed the SN of the TV. He said it's likely the DSP (I think that's what he said...) or the main board. He also said that he was pretty sure the board being replaced is the same as the 930D, and that Sony was replacing those for free, so they may be replacing the 940D for free as well (let's hope). He's going to look into it and get back to me.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just an update for you (and others following). A tech came to my house and grabbed the SN of the TV. He said it's likely the DSP (I think that's what he said...) or the main board. He also said that he was pretty sure the board being replaced is the same as the 930D, and that Sony was replacing those for free, so they may be replacing the 940D for free as well (let's hope). He's going to look into it and get back to me.
Nope, not covered under the same warranty as the 930D. It'll be $650 (CAN) for parts, labor and house call.

·
Premium Member
1,518 Posts
My TV just did a update. Major changes to the OS system.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I believe the last update changed to the new Android version. It has been out for a while but I'm glad you got it now! Can you tell us what version it is?

I'm still having random reboots even after changing equipment - the only thing the same is I'm still using ARC, but now a Sony instead of a Bose and an older Nvidia shield....still getting the TV to just randomly restart.

I like the convenience of only one remote and having ARC turn everything on and off by touching only one power button...so if this is an arc issue I hope a future update can resolve it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Anybody here have a 940D with AT&T TV? I may not have a TV that reboots constantly, but this is not a good combination at all. The hardware box (dumbly) outputs a constant HDR signal (vs the 99% of SDR programming) and the TV has no way I can find to remove this (unlike 2018+ model menus that have a specific HDR option). This service is unwatchable on the TV due to this and the only way to kill it is run it through my Oppo 205 and strip the metadata. This is not going to fly permanently as i need that single HDMI connection for other devices. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
320 Posts
I just bought this model from a neighbor. Has anyone monitored power usage using kill-a-watt or similar? This particualr TV uses 30 watts in Standby, sometimes dropping to 12 watts. MY other TVs use 1 or 2 watts in Standby mode. Not sure if this is Android TV or what. Anyone else confirm similar Standby power draw?

·
Registered
320 Posts
My settings can be found here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/46-post-testing-area/2919306-jerry-s-images-2.html#post56361796

Post 40 in that thread, if the link doesn't take you directly there.

Something changed in the number of allowable characters in a sig, so I had to shorten mine.

I think Bigjohn is looking for settings for Sony’s RVU client, which is HLG HDR. When viewing RVU content, the TV should be switching to HDR Picture Mode, which has some forced settings. Otherwise, I use the same settings for SDR and HDR content.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I just got this TV from a friend. This post w/your settings isn't available anymore, or at least that link says "Oops". Are your 940D settings still around somewhere on this site or web?

·
Registered
423 Posts

Mine did this a few weeks ago. It was during my move so I have a claim in with my shipper. There is no power at all, exact symptoms you are reporting. I am trying to move to a 77A9G.

13321 - 13339 of 13339 Posts