AVS Forum banner

13341 - 13360 of 13385 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Mine did this a few weeks ago. It was during my move so I have a claim in with my shipper. There is no power at all, exact symptoms you are reporting. I am trying to move to a 77A9G.
I JUST got mine fixed the other day. Apparently the repair place was sent the wrong part, so it took a long time (almost 2 months total). My main board went on the TV. He replaced it and it's all good now, except that I have to redo all my settings (argh!). I finally got around to watching a show last night and being on a 42" TV for the last few months has made me appreciate this TV again. It was just so, so nice to watch.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I JUST got mine fixed the other day. Apparently the repair place was sent the wrong part, so it took a long time (almost 2 months total). My main board went on the TV. He replaced it and it's all good now, except that I have to redo all my settings (argh!). I finally got around to watching a show last night and being on a 42" TV for the last few months has made me appreciate this TV again. It was just so, so nice to watch.
I took mine to get diagnosed and they said it was a defective panel. I bought a 77A9G for a replacement but still would like to try to replace the power board and see if that will resolve it. My settings are on there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’ve also been having issues with my set ever since the 8.0.0 update. Seems like roughly 1/3 of the time when I power it on via the remote, the white light comes on and then shuts back off momentarily followed by the tv seemingly doing a full reboot.

·
** Man of Leisure **
24,606 Posts
I’ve also been having issues with my set ever since the 8.0.0 update. Seems like roughly 1/3 of the time when I power it on via the remote, the white light comes on and then shuts back off momentarily followed by the tv seemingly doing a full reboot.
I have had this happen a couple of times as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently had the picture go out on my X940D. The array backlight stays active, but the LCD panel shows no image. Even on screen menus (i.e. generated by the TV itself) don't appear. No blinking red light trouble code - the set acts completely normally, just has no picture. (It's actually kind of cool to watch the array backlight do its thing without an LCD image in front of it.)

I have the Sony service manual, but it's written with the assumption that service techs have a spare of every board and emphasizes which order to swap stuff. Since I'm going to order replacement boards that aren't returnable, I'd like to be a bit more sure regarding root cause before proceeding.

I started a thread on iFixit that focuses on the board-level debugging that I've done so far (background in electrical engineering), but wanted to ask this community if anyone has experienced something similar and what was replaced to get things working again. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Hello all,

If I read correctly on the Sony website, this TV does not support Dolby Vision and there's no firmware update pending for this to be added. If so, if a movie is encoded with Dolby Vision, does the TV just default to HDR?

Thanks for any feedback on this question!

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have same TV. Definitely no DV and no DV ever coming. I get good HDR10 from Netflix, Prime, etc but no HDR at all for Disney+ which does support DV on many titles. I'm not sure if Netflix streams different versions of their HDR shows in both HDR10 and DV, depending on what you TV supports?

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have same TV. Definitely no DV and no DV ever coming. I get good HDR10 from Netflix, Prime, etc but no HDR at all for Disney+ which does support DV on many titles. I'm not sure if Netflix streams different versions of their HDR shows in both HDR10 and DV, depending on what you TV supports?
I launched a movie with Dolby Vision from my AppleTV and the SonyTV info showed HDR when I checked but I wasn't completely sure if DV just causes the TV to do that. My AVR definitely reports Dolby Atmos for these same movies whether using my AppleTV for Movies or the Netflix app. I was trying to confirm what the TV is doing.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have a few more questions for owners of this TV who also subscribe to DirecTV. Last weekend, I started watching the NFL game between the Seahawks and Rams on DirecTV's 4k channel and the picture seemed muted in terms of brightness and color which seemed odd given HDR is supposed to improve on both of these. If I did my research correctly, this TV has HDR10 and what DirecTV sends with their 4k channels is HLG, a different HDR format. So my questions are as follows:
  1. If anyone else watched this game or other 4k content on DirecTV, does your picture look good?
  2. Does the TV interpret HLG or Dolby Vision content and display it in HDR10? If so, is there any issue with any conversion process that might affect picture quality?
  3. Any thoughts on which format will win out (HDR10, HDR10+, HLG or Dolby Vision)?
I love this TV but given that it was one of the first to have HDR, I wonder about recent improvements in that technology (as well as all the competing formats).

I would truly appreciate any feedback on this. I'm actually considering a new TV that has the various formats built in.

Regards to all!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Our 940D's support HDR10 and HLG, but not DV. I have DirecTv but not the 4K channel. Did your set report HDR? 4K is just 4K and may or may not include HDR. DV is superior to HDR10 but the reality is I don't think our 940D's would see much improvement b/c it requires a brighter higher end set to reach the potential. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

DV can't be converted to HDR10. AFAIK, Blu-ray discs that say DV on them also include HDR10 for sets that don't support DV. But I don't know if this applies to all the streaming services.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Our 940D's support HDR10 and HLG, but not DV. I have DirecTv but not the 4K channel. Did your set report HDR? 4K is just 4K and may or may not include HDR. DV is superior to HDR10 but the reality is I don't think our 940D's would see much improvement b/c it requires a brighter higher end set to reach the potential. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

DV can't be converted to HDR10. AFAIK, Blu-ray discs that say DV on them also include HDR10 for sets that don't support DV. But I don't know if this applies to all the streaming services.
Thanks for the reply Stephen. Yes, the TV is set to auto detect HDR and then displays in that format. I am going to try looking at other settings like brightness with the 4k channel on to see if that changes anything. Appreciate your feedback on DV. I've launched DV content from my AppleTV and the 940D detected HDR and set the TV to that. I just wasn't sure about DirecTV's output. I need to do additional comparisons from various sources and also from my Blu-Ray player (a Samsung) to see how that looks.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I use an Apple TV 4K to watch ATV+, Netflix, Amazon Prime and Spectrum cable. The ATV is set to automatically detect video formats.
What I find annoying is that the TV blanks out when switching to HDR. The TV launches into Netflix and others fine, but then when I select to start the movie or show I get about a 2 second blank screen before the content starts. Is there a way to prevent this, or is it just the nature of the beast?

·
Registered
424 Posts
TV will only tell you it's HDR, but not what type. If it's streaming service, then it's HDR10. If DirecTv, then HLG.

You definitely want to tweak the settings for HDR. TV has separate settings for each input and for Std/HDR. The Cinema Pro is pretty good as the base but then tweak those settings further via Custom mode.

·
Registered
493 Posts
TV will only tell you it's HDR, but not what type. If it's streaming service, then it's HDR10. If DirecTv, then HLG.

You definitely want to tweak the settings for HDR. TV has separate settings for each input and for Std/HDR. The Cinema Pro is pretty good as the base but then tweak those settings further via Custom mode.
I did check other sources today and my Blu-Ray player does trigger the TV into HDR and that picture was fine. My AppleTV playing the Lord of the Rings movies in Dolby Vision triggered the TV to HDR mode as well and that looked good as well. You were right about the DirecTV 4k channel as this is NOT HDR. Only the sports programming on another 4k channel is. I'll tweak the settings as you say. I still need to look at Netflix and Amazon Prime to see how they look. I appreciate your feedback.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Are you plugging all your stuff into the TV inputs or into a receiver and then just one input into TV? If TV, then each input has separate settings. If receiver, then you only have 1 input but there are separate settings stored for HDR and non-HDR. If DirecTv's 4K/HDR are coming from satellite like the regular channels, then it will never look as good as Netflix due to bandwidth limitations.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Correction on my comment about DirecTV's 4k channel. It has both HDR and non HDR programming. I don't watch it very much but did today and saw both types of programming.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Are you plugging all your stuff into the TV inputs or into a receiver and then just one input into TV? If TV, then each input has separate settings. If receiver, then you only have 1 input but there are separate settings stored for HDR and non-HDR. If DirecTv's 4K/HDR are coming from satellite like the regular channels, then it will never look as good as Netflix due to bandwidth limitations.
I am using an AVR routing all my devices into that and using only one TV input. Good point about bandwidth. My AppleTV output of Netflix and Amazon with HDR programming always looks better.

·
Registered
424 Posts
DirecTv picture quality stinks. Over compressing all their channels so they can squeeze in a few more paid home shopping crap. I have it as part of my condo association MDU but still use my old HR24 so only 1080i. But that's fine since I really just watch news on it, everything else high quality streaming.

So in your case, you've got one set of HDR settings for single TV input from receiver so if Blu-ray and Apple TV looks good but DirecTv doesn't, that's just DirecTv. If your streaming via the Android TV apps in the 940D, then that is also a different set of picture controls to adjust.

13341 - 13360 of 13385 Posts