AVS Forum banner

13361 - 13380 of 13385 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I use an Apple TV 4K to watch ATV+, Netflix, Amazon Prime and Spectrum cable. The ATV is set to automatically detect video formats.
What I find annoying is that the TV blanks out when switching to HDR. The TV launches into Netflix and others fine, but then when I select to start the movie or show I get about a 2 second blank screen before the content starts. Is there a way to prevent this, or is it just the nature of the beast?
Just wanted to bring this back up in case there’s a solution, thanks!

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Just wanted to bring this back up in case there’s a solution, thanks!
Tell the AppleTV not to Match Dynamic Range (and maybe frame rate). Then you have to deal with maybe some frame skipping or color issues as it will stay locked at HDR and 60kHz. It all depends which you end up finding more annoying.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Tell the AppleTV not to Match Dynamic Range (and maybe frame rate). Then you have to deal with maybe some frame skipping or color issues as it will stay locked at HDR and 60kHz. It all depends which you end up finding more annoying.
I’ll take a look at that option, thanks.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I have a few more questions for owners of this TV who also subscribe to DirecTV. Last weekend, I started watching the NFL game between the Seahawks and Rams on DirecTV's 4k channel and the picture seemed muted in terms of brightness and color which seemed odd given HDR is supposed to improve on both of these. If I did my research correctly, this TV has HDR10 and what DirecTV sends with their 4k channels is HLG, a different HDR format. So my questions are as follows:
  1. If anyone else watched this game or other 4k content on DirecTV, does your picture look good?
  2. Does the TV interpret HLG or Dolby Vision content and display it in HDR10? If so, is there any issue with any conversion process that might affect picture quality?
  3. Any thoughts on which format will win out (HDR10, HDR10+, HLG or Dolby Vision)?
I love this TV but given that it was one of the first to have HDR, I wonder about recent improvements in that technology (as well as all the competing formats).

I would truly appreciate any feedback on this. I'm actually considering a new TV that has the various formats built in.

Regards to all!
@PMA, reboot the TV and that should solve your washed out color issue you had while watching the football game. Occasionally the TV doesn't automatically go into HDR mode when it should. When this happens the colors are very washed out with very poor contrast. A simple reboot will resolve the issue. With my 940D this would happen once or twice a month. But again, a simple reboot of the TV resolved it.

RE: your other HDR questions...
  • HDR10 is part of the 4K BluRay spec so any disc that has HDR will include HDR10, so all DV discs will play in HDR10 on the 940D. I'm not sure if this holds true with streaming, but I personally have never seen anything offered in DV that didn't play in HDR10 on the 940D. I didn't watch a lot of Disney+ while I had the 940D, but I did watch a few Avengers movies on Dis+ a year ago and they were in HDR10.
  • I've not had DirecTV for about 16 months, but when I had it most if not all programming on the 4k channels were in HLG, which the 940D displayed fine once it had the FW that added HLG support
  • I've never seen HDR10+ in action. There isn't much content available in HDR10+. Between HDR10, HLG, and DV, DV is the clear winner on a good TV. Though a lot of the newer TVs have processors that will convert HDR10 to dynamic meta data (tone mapping) and the results can be quite good. The best DV is better than the best HDR10, but a good HDR10 authored movie on one of these sets is almost as good as DV, certainly nothing to complain about.
  • The 940D is a very good TV in it's own right. The only thing holding it back from getting DV is the X1 Processor. There is debate whether it can keep up with DV or not, but ultimately Sony decided it wasn't worthy.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I sold my 940D to my brother this past August. Prior to selling it to him wiped it and while I was setting it up for my bother it said there was a FW update (v8) available so I installed it. He called to day and asked me if it always took a couple minutes to turn on. Turns out it is rebooting every time he turns the TV on. Once it's booted up, it's fine, just annoying that it takes so long. I did some scanning over the last couple pages and it appears this may have been introduced with the v8 FW update?

This definitely was not an issue before it was updated to v8. Does anyone know of any sort of resolution to this?

·
Registered
424 Posts
No problems like that here and I'm on latest firmware. v8 for Android 8.0 I think. There are probably logs that you can get to but before going that far I'll let others comment.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yep, like others here (AJ, your post 13,344?) there is an issue that came with the latest firmware update that causes "random" reboots. I have tried a factory reset twice and it does not fix the issue.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Since the 8.0 update I've had two concerning "shut downs". Both times I was shuffling music on an AppleTV and a video came up probably forcing a frame rate or HDR/SDR change. The TV just suddenly turned off with a the light blinking red on the front. I was able to turn it off and back on with the power button both times. It started up with the boot sequence as if it had been unplugged.

·
Registered
239 Posts
SONY is junk. I keep falling for hte TVs, but reliability is pure junk. I had the 36XBR400 in 2000. And that TV went bad in 6 years where it would sometimes have problems turning on. THen I had the 65 inch LCOS XBR tv in 2005 or so. That TV had reliability problems and I got rid of it in 2011. Then i had the panasonic plasma. Great TV. Then I got the SONY 75x940D. Even got the extended warranty for 4 years with my bad luck with SONY TVs. one week after the MAgnolia Best BUy warranty expired, I get a vertical blue line. I thought it would go away. NO lucky. So I pressed the top portion of the TV to see if the blue line would go away in case it was a loose ribbon. YEP. line goes away temporarily, but then the screen crumples inexplicably to the minor pressure I applied. so a little smudge like visual shows up at the top of the screen. After a few days, more vertical lines show up. Each one goes away when I press against the top of the screen indicating a loose connection with the ribbons. (I am guessing here).

JUnk. 3 top of the line TVs from SONY that dont last more than 5 years each on the average. I tried to see if Magnolia Best Buy would excuse the warranty being expired for a week, no luck. But SONY itself should be making more durable TVs.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I can confirm that the firmware that added HLG support last year works with Directv 4k. That was the only reason I installed it. I do not have reboots with this rev. but have not installed any updates since. Of course some of thise games were 1080p that they upscaled to 4k but the enhanced color was nice.

BJBBJB

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All,

I've had the set for going on 4 years now and its been absolutely perfect.

However in the last 2 weeks it has developed vertical lines pretty much running across the whole screen, visible on all sources (ps5, switch, sky q and inbuilt apps).

Highly noticeable on dark scenes and still noticeable on light ones from all angles.

I'm going through the warranty process with Sony as I have 5 years, however I'm feeling they are going to say its normal (despite it only starting 2 weeks ago).

Here are two example images: IMG-20210206-003210 and IMG202102081114361

Would you say this is acceptable?

·
** Man of Leisure **
24,603 Posts
Hi All,

I've had the set for going on 4 years now and its been absolutely perfect.

However in the last 2 weeks it has developed vertical lines pretty much running across the whole screen, visible on all sources (ps5, switch, sky q and inbuilt apps).

Highly noticeable on dark scenes and still noticeable on light ones from all angles.

I'm going through the warranty process with Sony as I have 5 years, however I'm feeling they are going to say its normal (despite it only starting 2 weeks ago).

Here are two example images: IMG-20210206-003210 and IMG202102081114361

Would you say this is acceptable?
I have had my 75-940D for even longer. Seeing minor banding on solid-background screens like your second post is not unusual for this display. I notice it most when my DirecTV screensaver kicks in, which is a solid grey background. However, the banding has never distracted me when watching normal TV content. If it bothers you and you want to work with Sony on the warranty, I see nothing wrong with that. If they offer a replacement LCD, you may find similar issues on solid-color screens.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had my 75-940D for even longer. Seeing minor banding on solid-background screens like your second post is not unusual for this display. I notice it most when my DirecTV screensaver kicks in, which is a solid grey background. However, the banding has never distracted me when watching normal TV content. If it bothers you and you want to work with Sony on the warranty, I see nothing wrong with that. If they offer a replacement LCD, you may find similar issues on solid-color screens.
It's had banding as you said on darker screens since I got it, but its recently become darker & more evident on all types of images which is why I contacted Sony.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Yours is banding. If you had vertical lines like mine, that would make the TV unwatchable. As I said in the prior post, if I press on the top prtion of the screen the line underneath my finger will disappear as long as my finger stays pressed. Since this does not occur widely among others, I doubt SONY will respond even if I tried. What's the best way to see if they would throw a bone like maybe a discount on a future item?

·
** Man of Leisure **
24,603 Posts
Over the past month or so, my 75X940D has been occasionally spontaneously re-booting. It is happening a couple of times a week. I don't associate these occurrences with any software update. Since the 940D is now my bedroom display, the re-boots are not causing a major impact other than interrupting my evening news show viewing by ~60 seconds. Otherwise, the 940D is still a wonderful display with a sharp, pleasing picture quality. I hope it doesn't get any worse.

Anyone else having re-boots?

13361 - 13380 of 13385 Posts