AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 10325 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Click on the link for the imgur albums. These are mostly using the 2016 P settings that @mpgxsvcd shares in his signature - though I used a lower backlight figure.

Could you be a bro and check out season 4 episode 1 of Lost on netflix go to 21:10 and post a picture of evangeline lily holding the phone?
I did my best. I took pictures in a variety of lighting conditions with my phone and with my DSLR. It is really hard (for me) to get the right settings on the phone to resolve the image in the picture the way I see it. In any case, I hope these are helpful.

Lost - From Phone
Lost - From DSLR

Any pics with a pure white screen would be super-helpful too. Trying to assess uniformity before I pull the trigger on an M70.
These are from various level of brightness, with various settings on the phone.

White Screen - From Phone
White Screen - From DSLR

This panel seems to have a ton of blooming when viewed from an angle, looks pretty good straight on tho. Anything else you guys want me to check? I dont know how to check motion i game on a PC, are there any tests you guys want me to run? Sorry for pic quality, its best my phone can muster lol.
I have similar blooming from an angle - though it was hard to capture it as my eyes see it. To me it was barely noticeable. But I always view from straight on.

Netflix - From Phone
Netflix - From DSLR

I spent some time watching various clips of 1080p content, some youtube and Netflix 4K. This is such a major step up from my previous display... I can't find anything wrong with it so far. I don't sit all that close, so I am very happy I went with the 70" vs the P65 which was also a contender.

The brightness compared to my old plasma is crazy. At night using calibrated dark I was turning the backlight down to less than 20. My eyes need some time to adjust.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Tv looks really good. I'm considering the M over the P now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you watch straight on its a good TV, if you watch even at slight angles i would avoid this tv at all costs.....the blooming at an angle is seriously bad and distracting. My TV is gonna go back for sure, just waiting on some sales.

I can do any tests if anyone is interested in the mean time (got the 55").

·
Registered
21 Posts
Click on the link for the imgur albums. These are mostly using the 2016 P settings that @mpgxsvcd shares in his signature - though I used a lower backlight figure.

I did my best. I took pictures in a variety of lighting conditions with my phone and with my DSLR. It is really hard (for me) to get the right settings on the phone to resolve the image in the picture the way I see it. In any case, I hope these are helpful.

Lost - From Phone
Lost - From DSLR

These are from various level of brightness, with various settings on the phone.

White Screen - From Phone
White Screen - From DSLR

I have similar blooming from an angle - though it was hard to capture it as my eyes see it. To me it was barely noticeable. But I always view from straight on.

Netflix - From Phone
Netflix - From DSLR

I spent some time watching various clips of 1080p content, some youtube and Netflix 4K. This is such a major step up from my previous display... I can't find anything wrong with it so far. I don't sit all that close, so I am very happy I went with the 70" vs the P65 which was also a contender.

The brightness compared to my old plasma is crazy. At night using calibrated dark I was turning the backlight down to less than 20. My eyes need some time to adjust.
Nice pics! Just curious, what is your seating distance?

·
Registered
69 Posts
If you watch straight on its a good TV, if you watch even at slight angles i would avoid this tv at all costs.....the blooming at an angle is seriously bad and distracting. My TV is gonna go back for sure, just waiting on some sales.

I can do any tests if anyone is interested in the mean time (got the 55").
Note that for the 2015 models, Vizio was using specific panel manufacturers for each size. The M60, M70 and M80 were using Sharp panels, whereas the M65 and M75 were using AUO panels. This would affect blooming, etc. There was a post in the 2015 M owners thread comparing the M55 and M60 (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/1902977-official-2015-vizio-4k-uhd-m-series-thread-156.html#post37696377).

I suspect the same applies to the 2016 Models. So it might be incorrect to conclude that because the M55 has significant blooming, the same condition applies to all sizes.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I tried this today. My damn phone kept auto focusing - sorry about that. This is with a PC connected at 1080p/60.

GLL on, and clear action on

turn GLL off, Clear Action off, and Reduce Judder = 1 and Reduce Motion blur = 8

same test with GLL on and Clear Action off

Try this for motion. Turn GLL on, and clear action on. Then turn GLL off, Clear Action off, and Reduce Judder = 1 and Reduce Motion blur = 8. Then finally try the same test with GLL on and Clear Action off.

http://www.testufo.com/#test=framerates&count=1&background=none&pps=960

·
Registered
19 Posts
I created a short (~6min) unboxing video with some of my thoughts so far.

Watched GoT and played some Destiny on it and results were good. Smartcast doesn't seem to be a huge benefit for my particular setup but I guess it might be nice for someone else.

The anti-jitter settings made GoT (especially CGI) look laughably fake but I think that's mostly a preference of mine. Disabling it made it look much, much better. No 4K content yet, though, through the set. I'm going to make a follow up after this weekend once I've had some time to run more content through it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is it normal to have sight waves in the screen where it attaches to the frame? It almost appears as if the frame is slightly indented every 6 or so inches across the top of the screen when it is turned off. It does not appear to impact the picture when the TV is turned on. I had a plasma before which was perfectly flat. I have the m70.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Like the top of the screen creates a bit of a fun house mirror effect when it's off? I have the same thing. Not noticeable when viewing content. I haven't checked to see if it goes away when not mounted to the wall.

Is it normal to have sight waves in the screen where it attaches to the frame? It almost appears as if the frame is slightly indented every 6 or so inches across the top of the screen when it is turned off. It does not appear to impact the picture when the TV is turned on. I had a plasma before which was perfectly flat. I have the m70.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
That's because plasmas used actual glass. I do miss that perfectly flat look, but it's really nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
242 Posts
So I received my M-70D3 today . Best Buy guys unloaded setup and left . No dark spots , uniformity looked great on a white screen . No defects to screen ( bubbles or ripples ) . Next it was time to setup and pair . Took some time finally paired tablet remote and first off watched some 1080i footage via AT&T Uverse . HBOHD looked good . Nothing that made me say "WoW" but I wasn't expecting it too . Looked Average . Colors seemed Bland and maybe that was because I'm coming from A Samsung where the colors are so darn bright and over done so I decided to let my eyes adjust through the day . I used the 2016 P settings and pic improved ALLOT. The speakers sound great , at 40 I didn't have a hard time hearing anything and that's also because I had a 5 year old and a 8 year old playing in the background . Now it was time to stream some 4K content ...
Nightmare ! This casting crap sucks , the remote sucks , the tablet blows ... What was Vizio thinking ? I'm totally turned off ... that as much as I hate to do this ... It's going back to Best Buy for sure . It took me a few hours to get things to cast properly and when they did it wasn't 4K , it's almost as if it had to lower the resolution due to my internet . And guess what ...speed test had my upload at 5mbs and download at 30mbs so speed isn't an issue in my home . If the screen really wowed me I may be able to see past this crappy interface but to me it's Avg. This will be going back and quite honestly since the only other 2016 70' is The Samsung KU6300 I have no choice . I know theres other great options at these price points but for the sake of my wife's Media Hutch she will only accept a 70'.( as much as I explained quality over quantity... I will never win with her ) Also the tablet would lose signal every 5 min ... Horrible . And if you have kids this may not work . Think about it , how many times have your children or even yourself dropped a remote? The thought of dropping and cracking this thing can become expensive .
So to sum it up :
This 4K set offers a pretty average picture , not bad at all .. Offers decent sounding speakers and a great size with a horrible interface and the worst remotes I personally ever have experienced. I'm so let down after weeks of anticipation .

Well appreciate the time you took in providing the above details and the pictures.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Who cares about the tablet. Use your phone or whatever else you can use to cast. If you have never "casted" anything before there is a learning curve and some patience is needed but its easy after a while. Did you search 4K youtube videos and then cast? Do you have 4K netflix? Not sure how long BB return period is but i'd play around with some picture settings and truly make sure you are watching some 4K source.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Who cares about the tablet. Use your phone or whatever else you can use to cast. If you have never "casted" anything before there is a learning curve and some patience is needed but its easy after a while. Did you search 4K youtube videos and then cast? Do you have 4K netflix? Not sure how long BB return period is but i'd play around with some picture settings and truly make sure you are watching some 4K source.
Trust me I'm not literally running to Best Buy tonight im still trying to justify keeping this . But yes I used my phone and that casted way better than the tablet for sure . But even at that the 4K YouTube content I was casting didn't look 4K . Basically the Google casting app is superior to the Vizio app . But now here's the problem ... You now have your phone for casting and the tablet for settings and the little basic remote for volume ... Accessing content , menus , volume ... The basics .. They shouldn't be that difficult . I think to a majority of users this will be overkill . This is just my opinion I'm sure there's allot of users that don't mind jumping through hoops just to do the basics .

·
Registered
470 Posts
I find it funny how many people dislike casting, it is literally the reason i purchased the vizio. I had a samsung tv from 2016 and returned it because it was such a poor experience in comparison to chromecast functionality.

1. You know 100% if a 4k show is playing and if its getting dolby digital or dolby vision.
2. Its faster to load.
3. Typing is WAYYY easier.
4. Browsing titles are easier to read on a phone than on a screen, especially descriptions or reviews.
5. Its just cleaner. I love the screen that sits there when you arent casting with the pretty pics changing every so often, time is nice to have there too.

People just arent used to chromecast and they call it "bad", shame really because its superior in nearly every way to having smart interface on a TV (some people complain about no track scrubbing, but ive never had an issue moving the little bar on netflix to where i want to go). I think LG's smart interface would be a much better experience with the remote that acts like a mouse pointer for people who want the on screen interfaces.

But i will agree the picture is just "ok", this TV is not worth a thousand dollars (55" that is).

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Try this. Install the Vizio Cast app on your phone. Put the tablet in a drawer or find another use for it. With smartphones in everyone's hand, the included tablet is 100% unnecessary. A nice bonus though.

Use the Netflix/Youtube/Whatever apps on your phone to cast to the tv. Use the Vizio Cast app when you want to adjust settings. Your choice as to whether you use the basic remote or the app to power on/change inputs, etc, or use a universal remote for that if you have one already.

I have had a Chromecast in my signal chain since it first came out. I love the technology. My experience so far using the tv as a Cast-to destination has been no different than my original Chromecast. Actually there's a bonus because I now have a pause function on a remote (basic remote function programmed to a Harmony), so for a quick pause I needn't open my phone anymore.

I briefly looked at the Cast App's browsing and searching functions, but it's trying to be too much I think. Just forget that altogether.

@wmarkw makes a good point regarding Netflix. You need to upgrade to the 4K plan if you haven't yet.

In the app go to System->System Information to see the resolution of whatever content is currently playing.

Trust me I'm not literally running to Best Buy tonight im still trying to justify keeping this . But yes I used my phone and that casted way better than the tablet for sure . But even at that the 4K YouTube content I was casting didn't look 4K . Basically the Google casting app is superior to the Vizio app . But now here's the problem ... You now have your phone for casting and the tablet for settings and the little basic remote for volume ... Accessing content , menus , volume ... The basics .. They shouldn't be that difficult . I think to a majority of users this will be overkill . This is just my opinion I'm sure there's allot of users that don't mind jumping through hoops just to do the basics .

21 - 40 of 10325 Posts