AVS Forum banner

6201 - 6220 of 10325 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Hi all - hoping I can get some help from the experts here. I have 2 questions.

1 - Can someone please explain to me what the difference between judder, motion blur, and the clear action setting is? I watch all my sports through tv streams on spmc in nvidia shield. What should I set these options to???

2- Netflix content looks amazing on this new tv. Except for HDR content. It appears very very dark. Thought HDR was supposed to give better details in the blacks and whites. Seems like the black end is way worse. Daredevil for example is giving me a lot of problems. Anybody experience this?

Thanks in advance!!!
-Mike M.
Which model do you have?

2. HDR is meant to be watched in a dark environment. I found that when you cast DV content, specifically DD, things look a lot better with the recent firmware versions than before.
If you want to make things look a bit brighter, you can set gamma to 1.8 in the Picture menu using the tablet.

@gamer113
The M55 is a 60Hz set.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply. I have the m65-d0 (2016). You're saying casting something is better with HDR than using the nvidia shield? Setting the gamma to 1.8 - any other consequences to doing this?

-Mike M.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
What does the uniformity look like to you guys when you had the led active zones on? On my set, if I have a large chunk of screen that's dark gray for example or even just a solid white, I feel like I can see the splits in the zones. In most cases I cant notice this in movie viewing or gaming but it does occasionally show up when Im seeing darker imagery, and it's just noticeable enough that it's driving me a little nuts. When I turn off active led zones, the issue goes away... but I want those black levels.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Well, got my replacement M70 and this one is worse. There is screen separation at the top so you can see the light come through. Screen itself has a bunch of ripples. Requested another replacement. Not thrilled right now.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply. I have the m65-d0 (2016). You're saying casting something is better with HDR than using the nvidia shield? Setting the gamma to 1.8 - any other consequences to doing this?

-Mike M.
Yes, because the shield only has HDR10 support, while when you cast you're getting Dolby Vision, which is the superior format of the two (Currently) and the one these displays were originally designed for.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I know this is kind of a longshot here, but does anyone know if it's possible to do 1080p @ 120 Hz WITH HDR?

e.g. a PC running a game with HDR-support at 1080p120?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well, after several months of dealing with some of the common (Xbox One S related) issues, as well as some others that the Vizio support tech said were grounds for immediate invocation of my warranty, I am getting my M65-D0 "replaced" sometime in the next week or so.

Had LOTS of bizarre issues.

First of all - Anytime I attempted to CAST YouTube videos to the TV, whether it be from the included Tablet, my phone, or any other devices I own, I would get results like this:

https://vid.me/fVd3

Mind you, this isn't through a Roku box or anything like that (Although I DO have a Premiere+ which I use with the TV for a lot of things, I find it more convenient, honestly)

This was happening just through the TV attempting to stream YouTube. WiFi and/or Ethernet (high speed) - same issue. VERY bizarre.

Secondly, had lots of issues with black (sorry, don't know the technical name here) Horizontal lines randomly appearing all over the display. This happened when using my Xbox One S, my Wii U, and my Roku Premiere+

All the devices were tested on all the different HDMI ports, and all the HDMI cables are certified, compliant, etc. etc.

It always got REALLY bad whenever the screen tended to be flooded by a predominantly solid, bright color.

Here's an example with Super Mario 3D World on the Wii U. (Starts getting bad around 14 seconds)

https://vid.me/Q2EW

The process to get the Warranty invoked was actually incredibly painless, and I wasn't expecting that. So I wish I had done it sooner. I was holding out hope that the firmware would have improved by now, but some of the issues were just too glaring for me and I thought I had better call.

With the reports I am reading lately about some of you folks getting replacement sets that are just as bad or worse, I am getting nervous... But hopefully that doesn't happen here. And if it does, well I guess I just keep calling.

Anyway - The tech on the phone also said (as many here have noted, but I wanted to verify) that they are working really hard with Microsoft to get some compatibility issues fixed, and that the wasn't SURE, but he said he heard that they might be making some revisions to the technical specs of the set itself and changing the remote and a few other things. Perhaps I'll end up with some different contents in my box when it arrives? Who knows.

I posted this, along with these vids, just on the off chance that anyone else here is having similar issues. Know that you aren't the only one ;)

And that if you are having these problems, they will (or certainly should) replace your set for you.

·
Registered
59 Posts
First of all - Anytime I attempted to CAST YouTube videos to the TV, whether it be from the included Tablet, my phone, or any other devices I own, I would get results like this:

https://vid.me/fVd3

Mind you, this isn't through a Roku box or anything like that (Although I DO have a Premiere+ which I use with the TV for a lot of things, I find it more convenient, honestly) This was happening just through the TV attempting to stream YouTube. WiFi and/or Ethernet (high speed) - same issue. VERY bizarre.

Secondly, had lots of issues with black (sorry, don't know the technical name here) Horizontal lines randomly appearing all over the display. This happened when using my Xbox One S, my Wii U, and my Roku Premiere+ All the devices were tested on all the different HDMI ports, and all the HDMI cables are certified, compliant, etc. etc. It always got REALLY bad whenever the screen tended to be flooded by a predominantly solid, bright color. Here's an example with Super Mario 3D World on the Wii U. (Starts getting bad around 14 seconds)

https://vid.me/Q2EW

The process to get the Warranty invoked was actually incredibly painless, and I wasn't expecting that. So I wish I had done it sooner. I was holding out hope that the firmware would have improved by now, but some of the issues were just too glaring for me and I thought I had better call.

I posted this, along with these vids, just on the off chance that anyone else here is having similar issues. Know that you aren't the only one ;)

And that if you are having these problems, they will (or certainly should) replace your set for you.
The first issue I haven't seen reported before.

The second issue appears to be a bug in the 3.X.X firmware and widespread among M65-D0 panels. You are the 6th or 7th person (including myself) to report it on AVSForum now, and I haven't seen any model other than the M65-D0 affected. Aside from horizontal lines, the issue also causes ghosting of bright areas of the screen. Here's a video of my panel: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzpxRbX0XZqRSHE1R0ExNjgwcVk/view My panel was perfect for about 3 months, and then the 3.0.12 firmware hit and the issue cropped up immediately.

User deathbatcountry had the issue on the original TV he/she owned, as well as the replacement Vizio sent (once the replacement got the firmware update anyway). His/her panel and videos of the issue in this post

I'd be curious to hear whether your replacement has the same problem. Vizio offered to replace mine, but the combination of reports making me think the issue is widespread and people reporting replacement panels have the same issue has made me hesitant to replace mine. It's also possible the issue is a hardware defect affecting a limited number of M65-D0 panels, and your replacement won't show the issue.

That all said, I'd have asked for a replacement based on your first video--an issue I haven't seen anywhere else.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Those of you getting poor replacement models, are they new or refurbished?

I should have a replacement coming soon as my m65-d0 continuously restarts itself while I'm watching it and Vizio support couldn't fix it via chat. They insisted the replacement would be a new non refurb model, but the last few pages of this thread concern me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The first issue I haven't seen reported before.

The second issue appears to be a bug in the 3.X.X firmware and widespread among M65-D0 panels. You are the 6th or 7th person (including myself) to report it on AVSForum now, and I haven't seen any model other than the M65-D0 affected. Aside from horizontal lines, the issue also causes ghosting of bright areas of the screen. Here's a video of my panel: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzpxRbX0XZqRSHE1R0ExNjgwcVk/view My panel was perfect for about 3 months, and then the 3.0.12 firmware hit and the issue cropped up immediately.

User deathbatcountry had the issue on the original TV he/she owned, as well as the replacement Vizio sent (once the replacement got the firmware update anyway). His/her panel and videos of the issue in this post

I'd be curious to hear whether your replacement has the same problem. Vizio offered to replace mine, but the combination of reports making me think the issue is widespread and people reporting replacement panels have the same issue has made me hesitant to replace mine. It's also possible the issue is a hardware defect affecting a limited number of M65-D0 panels, and your replacement won't show the issue.

That all said, I'd have asked for a replacement based on your first video--an issue I haven't seen anywhere else.
Yeah, the horizontal lines thing drives me CRAZY.

The videos of deathbatcountry's panel don't seem to me to be exactly the same type of issue I am having. But it is hard to tell because the quality of those videos is pretty poor (no offense if they read this :) )

With my panel, it's the artifacting when using the CAST function with certain apps (YouTube the main culprit as shown. Oddly, Netflix works just perfectly... Dolby HDR, etc.) - and the horizontal lines.

There are also times (wasn't able to capture video) when watching a Blu Ray when in addition to the horizontal lines issue, the screen would have this odd greyish "tinge" of a flicker only in certain areas of the screen. As though it was having difficulty displaying certain tones or colors within a scene at that one precise moment.

Perhaps that is what deathbatcountry and yourself are describing? However, it should be noted that this occurs while I am watching Blu Rays ON my Xbox One S - so, that makes it difficult to ascertain if it's a separate issue.

I am hoping for the best... Especially since Mass Effect Andromeda is coming out! In fact, I'll be playing the Early Access version tonight, but probably with the Subsampling and assorted "HDR" goodies off to reduce the problems the panel is having... :(

·
Registered
19 Posts

I should have a replacement coming soon as my m65-d0 continuously restarts itself while I'm watching it and Vizio support couldn't fix it via chat. They insisted the replacement would be a new non refurb model, but the last few pages of this thread concern me.
The gentleman I spoke with on the phone to start the Warranty process wasn't totally sure. So I can't say whether it's going to be a factory refurbished panel or a brand new panel. Perhaps even one of the (rumored) NEW versions of the panel that I described in my post on the previous page.

I sure *hope* it's new, but he couldn't definitively say. In hindsight I probably should have asked more about that and done my best to insist on it.

But based on the quality experience I had with them thus far getting this Warranty underway, *if* the worst happens and I have to go through the process again, I'm confident that I'd be able to talk to them and say "Hey, this is a little ridiculous, TONS of people have this issue, I need you to take care of me here."

·
Registered
188 Posts
Is anyone else having trouble getting the TV to switch into HDR settings when casting? My understanding is that when the TV detects HDR content, it should switch into a separate picture mode with different settings. This is working as expected with my Roku and HTPC. On either of those devices, when I switch to HDR content, the picture mode changes to different settings. However, when I am casting something over HDR, the picture mode does not change. An additional note is that this seems to be happening only for custom profiles; in the default "Calibrated" setting, everything except "Color" seems to switch over.

TL;DR: Having trouble getting HDR picture modes to work as expected

Switching from SDR to HDR on HDMI 1: picture mode changes as expected

Switching from SDR to HDR on Cast in Calibrated: all picture mode settings switch over EXCEPT color

Switching from SDR to HDR on Cast in saved picture mode derived from Calibrated: nothing changes

Firmware version: 3.0.14.0

·
Registered
3,407 Posts

I'm getting a replacement M70-D3 one week from today. I'm a little nervous about the quality or what its condition will be. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I'm starting to think that maybe I should learn to live with the crazy DSE on my original unit. But then again, there's probably replacements that happen everyday that are just fine. It would really only be on this forum where we would find out about the duds; and that would make it look like the percentage of turkeys is higher than the reality.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Is anyone else having trouble getting the TV to switch into HDR settings when casting? My understanding is that when the TV detects HDR content, it should switch into a separate picture mode with different settings. This is working as expected with my Roku and HTPC. On either of those devices, when I switch to HDR content, the picture mode changes to different settings. However, when I am casting something over HDR, the picture mode does not change. An additional note is that this seems to be happening only for custom profiles; in the default "Calibrated" setting, everything except "Color" seems to switch over.

TL;DR: Having trouble getting HDR picture modes to work as expected

Switching from SDR to HDR on HDMI 1: picture mode changes as expected

Switching from SDR to HDR on Cast in Calibrated: all picture mode settings switch over EXCEPT color

Switching from SDR to HDR on Cast in saved picture mode derived from Calibrated: nothing changes

Firmware version: 3.0.14.0
That is the way it should be. Color is 50 in both SDR and DV mode, but it's 58 in HDR10 mode.
When you have a saved picture mode selected, it will use the settings you saved in that viewing mode.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts

Mine was supposedly new.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Ok, 5mo. Into this monitor, haven't used HDR casting from either Netflix or Vudu, in about 2weeks..( last watched chef table season 3)now attempting to watch iron fist, and now only getting a hazy Netflix sign, then dark screen while still hearing sound.. thought it was Netflix.. but tried out my copy of Star trek beyond as I've done before... What gives.. anyone having this problem? I'm hoping this just some random bug.....Any help

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just returned my M60-C3 to Sams today as it was rebooting every 2-3 minutes. I thought I had caused this myself by overpowering the OTA antenna signal with too strong a booster but after reading just a sampling of recent comments I'm re-thinking that.

I was given a full refund so I picked up the M65-D0 for a couple hundred more since it has HDR and whatnot. I was hopping on here to do a bit of research as to how you know when HDR is actually working and what the optimal settings are for that mode.

I'm wondering if I shouldn't just go pick up a different brand? Are there QA issues with this model?

·
Registered
48 Posts
You know, when the Xbox One S new OS finally arrives, if it does NOT fix issue with this TV there are going to be a LOT of upset people.

I've basically given up doing anything with XB1S the last couple of months because of the issues...Which is disappointing since it was the reason I went with a 4K set.

Some days I think I should have returned TV anyway...Yes it is an XB issue, but doesn't matter since it is meant to be my 4K player.

And so I wait...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

6201 - 6220 of 10325 Posts