AVS Forum banner

6801 - 6820 of 10315 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Try a "hard reset", by unplugging from ac power and pressing and holding the power on/off button in back the unit for 30 secs. If you end up calling Vizio tech support about this issue, they will probably have you do the same thing. It's certainly strange that you can't get to .14 If that doesn't work, I suggest calling Vizio.
By doing this does this hard reset your entire set?

I seem to be stuck on the old firmware and can't seem to update no matter what but at the same time I'm debating whether its worth it going thru all the trouble of updating...........

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sorry for the long absence... we had a quiet period while we were waiting for the LeEco situation to resolved (which ended this week).

Good news is that the teams have been working really hard on new firmware. Version 3.2.8.3 is a test release which significant and numerous changes... too many to enumerate here but the highlights consist of:
Matt, is it possible to add ARC to more ports? With Project Scorpio specs announced, I'm probably going to be buying the next Xbox. Something that's bothering me though: my current setup has a Vizio soundbar plugged into HDMI 1 (ARC). From reading around here, it sounds like HDMI 1 is also the only port that allows 4K w/ HDR. So, if I wanted that, I'd have to forgo the use of the soundbar with the HDMI 1 port.

I wasn't sure if it was a hardware or software thing though.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'll give that a shot. Thanks.

I seem to be stuck on the old firmware and can't seem to update no matter what but at the same time I'm debating whether its worth it going thru all the trouble of updating...........
  1. 3.2.8.3 is beta firmware and you won't get it if you aren't on the beta list.
  2. 3.0.14 hasn't seen wide release yet, only limited release, and apparently only fixed one minor issue related to aspect ratios. My original panel received it, but my replacement panel hasn't. Now that they are on to beta testing 3.2.8.3 it's not clear if it will ever see wide release.
  3. 3.0.13.5 is the current wide release. If you service check and don't move beyond 3.0.13.5, then you're probably set.
Also, when you do a service check, you have to leave the panel off for a good 20-30 minutes for it to check for an update. It doesn't happen instantly.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Has anyone else had significant issues with picture quality after the recent beta firmware, especially with the calibrated settings?

I did an update with no issues, and then did a factory reset to fix some connectivity problems. Since then the picture has much more faded, washed out look and lacks the blacks and details. I put on a blu ray, Patriots Day, for example and tried to set up my own picture settings again after the reset. I selected calibrated as a baseline and noticed the picture was very washed out. Blacks and absent, there is little detail, and the image looks faded. People have a blotchy, almost plastic look in some instances.

I switched to calibrated dark, and it's more of the same. The other presets seem to look ok, but I can't really tell if there's an issue since I hardly ever used them.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Could the beta firmware be sent to me again to give it another try, or should I try something else? I tried factory reset a few times and the results were the same. I tried to cast some material, even UHD quality and thrbimage has the same washed out, faded appearance. Thanks!
Check your Color Space setting and make sure it is set to "YCbCr" or "Auto", and NOT "RGB". Also, make sure that Active LED Zones is toggled to "On". I experienced the same issue last week - even with 3.0.14.0 - and thought that something was wrong with my TV's FALD function. I noticed that the backlight was on all the time - slightly illuminated. Watching a movie in a dark room - playing content with letter boxes - with Active LED Zones turned On - it looked like my M70 had morphed into an edge lit POS. Of course this made everything look washed out - not just the dark areas - but also with brighter content. I changed the Color Space to "YCbCr" instead of "RGB" and everything was better. I'm not seeing any issues with 3.2.8.3 using my most recent calibration settings.
Thanks, @sonoftumble

I was actually in the process of calibrating the M65 based off of your settings when I noticed the issue.

I will give this a try when I get home and post results; if all else fails I'll include pics to see if there's more to the issue.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Matt, is it possible to add ARC to more ports? With Project Scorpio specs announced, I'm probably going to be buying the next Xbox. Something that's bothering me though: my current setup has a Vizio soundbar plugged into HDMI 1 (ARC). From reading around here, it sounds like HDMI 1 is also the only port that allows 4K w/ HDR
One of the biggest myths that just won't go away... the absolutely only thing HDMI 1 has over the other ports is the ability to do ALL three of the following at once A. 4k B. 60Hz and C. HDR... Ports 2-4 will do any of the 2 out of 3 you want, so for most people they can put their gaming console on HDMI 1, if they want all three items, or port 5, if they don't care about HDR and want lowest lag, but for any other video device at all, ports 2-4 are great unless you want to insist on all 3 of those things together even though there is literally only a handful of titles in the world that are true 60Hz video. ALL Blu Ray, even UHD, is 24Hz. If you really want the 60Hz video look, which honestly just looks like a medium level Soap Opera Effect (just done naturally, without software) you can dial up the Reduce Judder setting.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts

Another option is to delete the display from the App and re-add... it seems to retain your settings in TV memory while checking for the latest firmware while doing the new pairing setup... But if 3.0.0.14 isn't wide release yet, then it may not come through anyway... also toggling Service Check does nothing instantly, it will just check for an update after it has been turned back on after sitting off for a bit, so the delete device from the app way is by far the best: Settings are retained and it WILL find the new software on the spot without waiting, as long as it has been released to your serial number.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Does anyone know what the Film Mode setting does? I was watching Frasier from Netflix on the TV and when I turned it off, motion looked smoother.
Film Mode / Pure Cinema (new beta firmware) simply forces 24Hz, nothing else... for 24Hz content (all blu ray and 99.99% of streaming titles) you will normally want it on... Were you watching Netflix through Casting or through a device? If through a device, they usually connect at 60Hz so it may be scaling the content from 24Hz up to 60Hz to begin with so in your case that may be it converting up and back down to 24Hz, and also depends on your Reduce Judder as well... I know, kind of a complicated mess...

·
Registered
38 Posts
One of the biggest myths that just won't go away... the absolutely only thing HDMI 1 has over the other ports is the ability to do ALL three of the following at once A. 4k B. 60Hz and C. HDR... Ports 2-4 will do any of the 2 out of 3 you want, so for most people they can put their gaming console on HDMI 1, if they want all three items, or port 5, if they don't care about HDR and want lowest lag, but for any other video device at all, ports 2-4 are great unless you want to insist on all 3 of those things together even though there is literally only a handful of titles in the world that are true 60Hz video. ALL Blu Ray, even UHD, is 24Hz. If you really want the 60Hz video look, which honestly just looks like a medium level Soap Opera Effect (just done naturally, without software) you can dial up the Reduce Judder setting.
So if I want 4K HDR I can use another HDMI port? That's what I keep seeing, is that HDMI 1 is the only port capable of this.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
So if I want 4K HDR I can use another HDMI port? That's what I keep seeing, is that HDMI 1 is the only port capable of this.
Short answer: Yes, the "HDR only HDMI 1" thing is something that was announced early at release, but was clarified later: HDMI 2-4 do HDR as well, but at 24Hz (sometimes 30Hz, the max those ports can handle), the only thing HDMI 1 adds is 4kHDR at a full 60Hz. But with almost all content actually made in 24Hz, you lose nothing at all using those ports for video, even HDR.

More info: Not to confuse you any more, but the "Subsampling" option is only available for Port 1 and 5, and that is for full 4:4:4 chroma support, which is mainly needed for use as a PC monitor. For some reason the new 4k consoles, which again run at 60Hz, it is needed to be enabled for them to do HDR as well (only Port 1, because the new consoles need all 3 features to enable HDR at all).

Here is how I would recommend everyone with multiple devices connect

HDMI #
1. Xbox One S / PS4 Pro - if you know you have HDR titles and don't care about a little additional lag... if don't have either, then Roku w/HDR or UHD Blu Ray.
2-4. If you have a console in port 1, then your Roku w/HDR or UHD Blu Ray. PS3 with 1080p HDR will work fine here too.
5. Any console or PC, where you want the lowest lag possible, even when Game Low Latency is enabled on any port, on this one lag is the lowest. OR if you have a PC with [email protected] and 4:4:4 chroma video output support, you can enable subsampling and get full monitor color and clarity. For non-gaming and no 4:4:4 support, a PC go in any port.

Hope this clarifies for some of you out there! :)

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Matt, is it possible to add ARC to more ports? With Project Scorpio specs announced, I'm probably going to be buying the next Xbox. Something that's bothering me though: my current setup has a Vizio soundbar plugged into HDMI 1 (ARC). From reading around here, it sounds like HDMI 1 is also the only port that allows 4K w/ HDR. So, if I wanted that, I'd have to forgo the use of the soundbar with the HDMI 1 port.

I wasn't sure if it was a hardware or software thing though.
Just use optical to connect TV to soundbar, you'll get the same format support, but will free up HDMI 1 for your new XBox.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Has anyone else had significant issues with picture quality after the recent beta firmware, especially with the calibrated settings?

I did an update with no issues, and then did a factory reset to fix some connectivity problems. Since then the picture has much more faded, washed out look and lacks the blacks and details. I put on a blu ray, Patriots Day, for example and tried to set up my own picture settings again after the reset. I selected calibrated as a baseline and noticed the picture was very washed out. Blacks and absent, there is little detail, and the image looks faded. People have a blotchy, almost plastic look in some instances.

I switched to calibrated dark, and it's more of the same. The other presets seem to look ok, but I can't really tell if there's an issue since I hardly ever used them.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Could the beta firmware be sent to me again to give it another try, or should I try something else? I tried factory reset a few times and the results were the same. I tried to cast some material, even UHD quality and thrbimage has the same washed out, faded appearance. Thanks!
Check your Color Space setting and make sure it is set to "YCbCr" or "Auto", and NOT "RGB". Also, make sure that Active LED Zones is toggled to "On". I experienced the same issue last week - even with 3.0.14.0 - and thought that something was wrong with my TV's FALD function. I noticed that the backlight was on all the time - slightly illuminated. Watching a movie in a dark room - playing content with letter boxes - with Active LED Zones turned On - it looked like my M70 had morphed into an edge lit POS. Of course this made everything look washed out - not just the dark areas - but also with brighter content. I changed the Color Space to "YCbCr" instead of "RGB" and everything was better. I'm not seeing any issues with 3.2.8.3 using my most recent calibration settings.
I tried a 1080P source (blu ray) and it appears to be ok, I don't think it was as bad as what I saw last night. I fired up Hulu on the PS4 and tried a show, and I'm still seeing washed out imahe...just an overall lack of detail and blacks that are no longer there. Black bars on top snd bottom look ok, but the image just lacks the clarity, depth and appearance it did before the beta FW.

Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
I tried your settings and I ended up resetting Color Profile or whatever those extra settings are called back to default. I run 50,51,50,46, Normal, 2.1 and the key here: Tint at -3 (the rest are personal preference, I use Reduce Judder at 3 unless it's the rare actual 60Hz content). This for pre-scaled to 1080p Xfinity X1 anyway, I'll have to check my Shield settings later. Anyway for me it looks spectacular, that one tint setting made everything look great... But thanks for all your time in calibrating and posting, it helped me indirectly anyway! :)
Man, I would love to put a meter on your set to see what the F is going on with it! The RGB profile differences must be significant. It's a bummer, because the more I watch, the more I love the new settings - regardless of source content and resolution. Haven't felt a need to make any adjustments other than backlight - and that's just with DV.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I tried a 1080P source (blu ray) and it appears to be ok, I don't think it was as bad as what I saw last night. I fired up Hulu on the PS4 and tried a show, and I'm still seeing washed out imahe...just an overall lack of detail and blacks that are no longer there. Black bars on top snd bottom look ok, but the image just lacks the clarity, depth and appearance it did before the beta FW.

Any other thoughts?
I also noticed the lack of finite details since this beta release. Also I have been leaving it on the YCbCr color space because in auto or RGB I also get that faded out look. I am using the calibration numbers that @sonoftumble posted and they look really good except in some cases my whites look a little dirty. To touch on your Comment about the blotchy look in the colors I did notice that but only when looking at the ramp test and it looked like that with all the colors, I noticed it before I put those Cali numbers in just to clarify. Maybe it's a bug that can be tracked down. Good luck.

Sent from my XR6M10 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Just noticed another name change in the new beta: "subsampling" is gone and is called "Full UHD color" now... Which really are the same thing, just easier for the masses naming now.

·
Registered
148 Posts
What firmware are you on?
3.2.8.3 Beta, but the Tint setting especially has not changed it's need for -3 for me, over any firmware, as an excellent alternative to having a full color scale/11 pt. on my panel... Just a suggestion for others to try, every panel can be a little different.
WOW!! Just tried out the -3 tint thing and I am genuinely shocked out how much it increased PQ. Watching Guardians of the Galaxy on BluRay, and everything went from a slightly washed out look to a deep rich look. Thank you so much for the suggestion! Would have never stumbled on this myself. Btw, this is using calibrated dark (50, 50, 50, 53). M50 panel.

6801 - 6820 of 10315 Posts