AVS Forum banner

6821 - 6840 of 10334 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello All,

I've been looking for a place to get educated and it looks like I found it here. Bought an M60-D1 back in Sept. and I haven't tweaked a thing on it. Been watching cable from Xfinity X1 and Blu-rays on a Sony with straight out of the box settings. Looks good to my rookie eyes but I know it can be better. Just bought an Xbox One S. Watched Assassins Creed on UHD.....ho hum. Kind of disappointing PQ. I want to see what this thing can really do now. I don't have the knowledge or confidence to start monkeying with settings. Can I be taught? I see posts here of settings and wonder if I can tweak the set myself. Should I spend the money and have it calibrated? If so, are any of y'all in Houston, for hire? What's the going rate?

I appreciate any and all thoughts/comments/pointers!

·
Registered
160 Posts
I tried a 1080P source (blu ray) and it appears to be ok, I don't think it was as bad as what I saw last night. I fired up Hulu on the PS4 and tried a show, and I'm still seeing washed out imahe...just an overall lack of detail and blacks that are no longer there. Black bars on top snd bottom look ok, but the image just lacks the clarity, depth and appearance it did before the beta FW.

Any other thoughts?
I also noticed the lack of finite details since this beta release. Also I have been leaving it on the YCbCr color space because in auto or RGB I also get that faded out look. I am using the calibration numbers that @sonoftumble posted and they look really good except in some cases my whites look a little dirty. To touch on your Comment about the blotchy look in the colors I did notice that but only when looking at the ramp test and it looked like that with all the colors, I noticed it before I put those Cali numbers in just to clarify. Maybe it's a bug that can be tracked down. Good luck.

Sent from my XR6M10 using Tapatalk
Yea I am still seeing the washed out colors. The shadow detail and black levels are affected most, but everything has a very flat, almost plastic appearance in some instances. I watched some of Hacksaw Ridge and was disappointed at how much detail was lost in the image and the blotchy appearance of people.

This mostly affects the calibrated settings which has me confused even more. Changing the color space setting may have helped slightly, but it's not there yet.

Any idea how long until this beta FW becomes final? I doubt it's possible to roll this firmware back, even if I used I thumbdrive. I can wait it out, but it's difficult because there is a lot about the display I have enjoyed and I've been very impressed up until now.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Short answer: Yes, the "HDR only HDMI 1" thing is something that was announced early at release, but was clarified later: HDMI 2-4 do HDR as well, but at 24Hz (sometimes 30Hz, the max those ports can handle), the only thing HDMI 1 adds is 4kHDR at a full 60Hz. But with almost all content actually made in 24Hz, you lose nothing at all using those ports for video, even HDR.

More info: Not to confuse you any more, but the "Subsampling" option is only available for Port 1 and 5, and that is for full 4:4:4 chroma support, which is mainly needed for use as a PC monitor. For some reason the new 4k consoles, which again run at 60Hz, it is needed to be enabled for them to do HDR as well (only Port 1, because the new consoles need all 3 features to enable HDR at all).

Here is how I would recommend everyone with multiple devices connect

HDMI #
1. Xbox One S / PS4 Pro - if you know you have HDR titles and don't care about a little additional lag... if don't have either, then Roku w/HDR or UHD Blu Ray.
2-4. If you have a console in port 1, then your Roku w/HDR or UHD Blu Ray. PS3 with 1080p HDR will work fine here too.
5. Any console or PC, where you want the lowest lag possible, even when Game Low Latency is enabled on any port, on this one lag is the lowest. OR if you have a PC with [email protected] and 4:4:4 chroma video output support, you can enable subsampling and get full monitor color and clarity. For non-gaming and no 4:4:4 support, a PC go in any port.

Hope this clarifies for some of you out there! :)
So my question is it when I watch a hdr program it shows as hdr on when I watch on hdmi 1 but it doesn't for 2 thru 4; so how can they all be hdr?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Reactions: grecorj

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
So my question is it when I watch a hdr program it shows as hdr on when I watch on hdmi 1 but it doesn't for 2 thru 4; so how can they all be hdr?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
That's weird, I get HDR no problem with a Roku or Shield on 2-4, it's just at 24Hz.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
That's weird, I get HDR no problem with a Roku or Shield on 2-4, it's just at 24Hz.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
What model is your TV?

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
What model is your TV?
65"... I thought that smaller sizes had one less port but it's 2-4 were the same, can do 4k HDR but @24Hz... I'll double check tonight, I know it was that way in previous firmware releases and the CNET review is where Vizio confirmed with them that HDR works on 2-4 as well.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
65"... I thought that smaller sizes had one less port but it's 2-4 were the same, can do 4k HDR but @24Hz... I'll double check tonight, I know it was that way in previous firmware releases and the CNET review is where Vizio confirmed with them that HDR works on 2-4 as well.

@danbfree - you are correct!

I just went to the CNET review of the 2016 M series. Here's what they said . . . https://www.cnet.com/products/vizio-m65-d0/review/2/

"Here's another difference between the M and P series. Of the M series' five HDMI ports only one, Input 1, supports HDMI 2.0a. That means it's the only port fully compatible with HDR10 devices, for example a 4K Blu-ray player or HDR-capable streaming media device.

Three other ports (Inputs 2 through 4), support HDMI version 1.4 only, which means they can handle any device, 4K or otherwise, outputting video up to 4K/24Hz (but not 4K/60Hz). Vizio says they will indeed work with 4K HDR sources, too: "We have found that the Samsung and Philips 4K Blu-ray players do output HDR content on HDMI 1.4 with 24Hz content. In these cases, HDMI input 2-4 can also support HDR10 playback." That claim is correct with the Samsung player for input 2 and 3, although not with input 4 according to my test. I didn't test the Philips player.

Input 5 will accept 4K sources at 60Hz, 4:2:0 (which is technically beyond HDMI 1.4) and is also capable of accepting 1080p at 120Hz, a frequency typically reserved for computers."

·
Registered
53 Posts
New to the board, so quick hello to everyone (found it yesterday and really enjoyed reading through all of your posts & even used the calibration settings on here)
Question isn't so much of my Vizio itself (M55-D0 purchased in December) but general information:
Recently unable to find answers about casting from the tablet in DV/HDR/4K I decided to purchase the Roku Ultra. Well last night was my first comparison (and after reading through this forum figured out to just look at "Display Information" and it tells you HDR: Yes or No). Both inputs in the factory "Calibrated" picture mode. Casting Iron Fist, HDR: Yes, Roku Iron Fist HDR: No - which I knew because it doesn't support DV but was steaming in 4K. At the 20:20 mark of final episode, Ward is standing in a hospital room with a black pocket square in his suit. I know deep blacks are suppose to be one major difference in the different formats. Major difference: the pocket square which has small white detail in the center, noticeable on the 4K Roku stream but not as much on the DV Cast. Which kind of made me lean toward siding with the Roku vs casting from my tablet. Is this a personal preference thing due to coloring and quality or am I looking at this completely wrong?
Also, Roku is fresh out of box factory. I noticed some posts talking about the secret menu and changing to 4:2:0 or 4:2:2. Is this beneficial and which is the better choice for the Roku Ultra (currently slotted into HDMI 1)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
@danbfree - you are correct!

I just went to the CNET review of the 2016 M series. Here's what they said . . . https://www.cnet.com/products/vizio-m65-d0/review/2/

"Here's another difference between the M and P series. Of the M series' five HDMI ports only one, Input 1, supports HDMI 2.0a. That means it's the only port fully compatible with HDR10 devices, for example a 4K Blu-ray player or HDR-capable streaming media device.

Three other ports (Inputs 2 through 4), support HDMI version 1.4 only, which means they can handle any device, 4K or otherwise, outputting video up to 4K/24Hz (but not 4K/60Hz). Vizio says they will indeed work with 4K HDR sources, too: "We have found that the Samsung and Philips 4K Blu-ray players do output HDR content on HDMI 1.4 with 24Hz content. In these cases, HDMI input 2-4 can also support HDR10 playback." That claim is correct with the Samsung player for input 2 and 3, although not with input 4 according to my test. I didn't test the Philips player.

Input 5 will accept 4K sources at 60Hz, 4:2:0 (which is technically beyond HDMI 1.4) and is also capable of accepting 1080p at 120Hz, a frequency typically reserved for computers."
Yep, an in my testing both Shield and Roku worked even with port 4 too, all 3... This was actually discussed many, many pages back but of course it's good to touch on these subjects occasionally to help the new people, and apparently you didn't know either so, cool! :)

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Yep, an in my testing both Shield and Roku worked even with port 4 too, all 3... This was actually discussed many, many pages back but of course it's good to touch on these subjects occasionally to help the new people, and apparently you didn't know either so, cool! :)
I hadn't tried and thus was deferring to you. Just being your wingman. I have an AVR with 4K 4:4:4 60Hz HDR passthrough that I use as a switcher. It feeds to HDMI 1 on the TV. It also upscales 1080P to 4K. Makes my legacy gear; i.e. AppleTV and 1080P Blu-rays look great!

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
New to the board, so quick hello to everyone (found it yesterday and really enjoyed reading through all of your posts & even used the calibration settings on here)
Question isn't so much of my Vizio itself (M55-D0 purchased in December) but general information:
Recently unable to find answers about casting from the tablet in DV/HDR/4K I decided to purchase the Roku Ultra. Well last night was my first comparison (and after reading through this forum figured out to just look at "Display Information" and it tells you HDR: Yes or No). Both inputs in the factory "Calibrated" picture mode. Casting Iron Fist, HDR: Yes, Roku Iron Fist HDR: No - which I knew because it doesn't support DV but was steaming in 4K. At the 20:20 mark of final episode, Ward is standing in a hospital room with a black pocket square in his suit. I know deep blacks are suppose to be one major difference in the different formats. Major difference: the pocket square which has small white detail in the center, noticeable on the 4K Roku stream but not as much on the DV Cast. Which kind of made me lean toward siding with the Roku vs casting from my tablet. Is this a personal preference thing due to coloring and quality or am I looking at this completely wrong?
Also, Roku is fresh out of box factory. I noticed some posts talking about the secret menu and changing to 4:2:0 or 4:2:2. Is this beneficial and which is the better choice for the Roku Ultra (currently slotted into HDMI 1)?
You shouldn't have to mess with that secret menu unless you have problems but you should have gone through settings menu for the display/HDR test to enable, you need to with any new Roku... But not sure what issues you have with casting, it's super easy and unless you have Amazon Prime then there is actually no need for a Roku and you will actually get more HDR titles (Dolby Vision) in Netflix that way, just make sure to connect to the display first, from the app and then the titles will be HDR.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I hadn't tried and thus was deferring to you. Just being your wingman. I have an AVR with 4K 4:4:4 60Hz HDR passthrough that I use as a switcher. It feeds to HDMI 1 on the TV. It also upscales 1080P to 4K. Makes my legacy gear; i.e. AppleTV and 1080P Blu-rays look great!
Nice, that's the best way to do it, I just don't have the money or space to do the full HT setup I'd like to do so I'm literally just Optical to a decent 2.1 soundbar... Also, only other video source I have that's not 4k is my cable and that pre-scales to 1080p anyway, so no worries about low quality content of any kind for me.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hello All,

I've been looking for a place to get educated and it looks like I found it here. Bought an M60-D1 back in Sept. and I haven't tweaked a thing on it. Been watching cable from Xfinity X1 and Blu-rays on a Sony with straight out of the box settings. Looks good to my rookie eyes but I know it can be better. Just bought an Xbox One S. Watched Assassins Creed on UHD.....ho hum. Kind of disappointing PQ. I want to see what this thing can really do now. I don't have the knowledge or confidence to start monkeying with settings. Can I be taught? I see posts here of settings and wonder if I can tweak the set myself. Should I spend the money and have it calibrated? If so, are any of y'all in Houston, for hire? What's the going rate?

I appreciate any and all thoughts/comments/pointers!
Honestly you didn't pick the best UHD to test your system. If you want the best available so far, the consensus on the net is The Revenant, The Martian Extended Edition, Pacific Rim, and The Shallows. Also I would simply look at other suggestions for settings and then mess around yourself to find what you like. The thing is there is no perfect setting and for each individual it is different based on what you like. Have fun and you really can't mess up, just use calibration as the base and if need be switch to another picture setting default if it doesn't look like you need. No need to have it professionally done.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well the Vizio 3.1 soundbar doesn't :|
I have the Vizio S4251W soundbar hooked up to my M70 via optical and while it doesn't turn on automatically when I turn the TV on, I just have to press Volume + 1 time on my cable remote and the soundbar kicks on. It's a tiny bit of a pain (especially for my mother in law) but not too much trouble for me.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have the Vizio S4251W soundbar hooked up to my M70 via optical and while it doesn't turn on automatically when I turn the TV on, I just have to press Volume + 1 time on my cable remote and the soundbar kicks on. It's a tiny bit of a pain (especially for my mother in law) but not too much trouble for me.
Not too sure which Vizio soundbar I have, but same thing. I use optical and all my remotes automatically worked with it to turn it on and change the volume. it's been awesome!

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Also, since you have the only size with IPS panel, go off the settings from the calibration guy also with the 60" a good number of pages back and also try Vivid mode for HDR, that will help provide some "pop" with HDR.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Nice! i'm waiting on mine too, hopefully will be here very soon!
I sent the email with my mailing address on the 17th. Only took 4 days total to get it to me. I like the remote a lot better than the crappy one the TV came with.

6821 - 6840 of 10334 Posts