AVS Forum banner

681 - 700 of 10315 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Costco will give you the promo price, as a credit, on the display if you bought it in the past 30 days (sometimes longer).
Actually, the Costco website is showing their M65 is now marked down to $1249 (it didn't say that yesterday). So I called Costco and they are going to refund my CC for the difference.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Has anyone had any luck with getting the Xbox One S working with HDR on their 2016 M-series? So far, the option only comes up when you connect via HDMI1, but that's not going to fly because that's my ARC input that's connecting my Vizio Sound Bar to the TV. And predictably, the HDMI IN on the Sound Bar only outputs to 1080P.

I mean, does HDR only work on 1 or the 5 inputs, or is this a Microsoft Vizio handshaking issue?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Yes, yesterday. I just got it yesterday so not familiar with normal operation.

Sent from my HTC 10
Apparently there's a "quick start" mode that allows you to turn the TV off and on with the tablet or another device running the Vizio app. You can find it under Settings-> System->
Power Mode. You can toggle between Eco Mode and Quick Start.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Has anyone had any luck with getting the Xbox One S working with HDR on their 2016 M-series? So far, the option only comes up when you connect via HDMI1, but that's not going to fly because that's my ARC input that's connecting my Vizio Sound Bar to the TV. And predictably, the HDMI IN on the Sound Bar only outputs to 1080P.

I mean, does HDR only work on 1 or the 5 inputs, or is this a Microsoft Vizio handshaking issue?
According to Matt is should work on HDMI 1-4, but not 5. You need to enable subsampling on each input with the Tablet / Smartcast app.

·
Registered
21 Posts
According to Matt is should work on HDMI 1-4, but not 5. You need to enable subsampling on each input with the Tablet / Smartcast app.
That's the confusing part, subsampling options only show up for HDMI 1 and HDMI 5. Toggled them both on, but only HDMI 1 made the HDR toggle selectable.

·
Registered
63 Posts
HDMI1 is the only HDMI 2.0a / HDR10 capable port on the M Series; it's the P Series where ports 1-4 all support HDMI 2.0.

From the reports that I've seen here, it looks like HDMI5 is not HDR10-capable on either the P or M series - which, given its specs, is not surprising. As I said yesterday, subsampling is only used on HDMI5 to enable [email protected] and 1080p chroma 4:4:4 when using it with a PC.

·
Registered
188 Posts
So after debating back and forth between the P Series and the M Series, I pulled the trigger on the 2016 65" M series TV. The pricing is just too good right now.

I have three questions.

1) Since HDMI1 is the only port that supports HDR, that's where I intend to connect the Xbox One S. However, I'm imagining a future where I'll have more the one device that needs to use that port. Is there an HDMI switch anyone would recommend that will work with HDR. I found this one on Monoprice, and based on my limited understanding, it would appear to meet the requirements (HDCP 2.2, 4K @ 30Hz, 18Gbps).

http://www.monoprice.com/product?pg_no2=1&c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=15263&sortby=&period=&rating=&seq=1&format=4#feedback

2) Can anyone recommend a decent Soundbar to connect to this TV? I've never purchased a sound bar before, and it's a bit new to me. Do I need to run the HDMI into the Soundbar and then out to the TV? Or, do I just use an optical cable from the TV out to the Soundbar. I'm not sure I really care about any of the new audio codecs. A simple 2.1 or 3.1 Soundbar setup with clear audio is all I'd really care about.

3) Any HDMI cable with 18Gbps bandwidth is good enough right? Anything else I should watch out for?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Have tried USB content. It's a no-go

my father-in-law is staying with us for about a week and wants to watch something via a USB drive....when we plug it in nothing happens...is there a way to make this work on this TV?

Thanks!
For some mysterious reason, the Vizio M70-D3 has two USB ports (one even USB 3.0), neither of which will play a .mp4 video, at least a 4K video. (I did successfully play a tiny 1080p (I think) .mp4 file I found at some developer web site, but it took a long time to load.)

Now, you may have seen one of these units playing a demo loop from a USB stick at a dealer. I assumed (wrongly) that it was simply an .mp4 file. Nope. I made a copy of the stick, which appears to be a collection of .mp4 files, but with some scripts and other files that the TV recognizes. The copied stick works fine on my unit.

BTW, this was with the 2.0.13.13 software released a couple of days ago.

·
Registered
46 Posts
M70-D3 Optical output does not pass through surround info

With my old HDTV, I could use it to switch among inputs and pass through 5.1 audio info from any input to my receiver, which decoded and played it.

To my surprise, the M70-D3 passes through only the left/right stereo info and not the surround channels to my about-five-year-old Pioneer receiver. The source is HDMI from an old Blu-Ray player. (And, I've tried all the Vizio's HDMI ports.)

I have tried the various Audio settings on the Cast tablet, but none of the options (PCM, Bitstream, etc.) changes anything.

The main reason I want to use optical audio from the Vizio into the (non-4K pass-through) receiver is to connect a Panasonic 4K player's HDMI video directly into the Vizio, and then let its optical audio output provide the 5.1 info for the receiver to decode. This would obviate the purchase of a new receiver, and just let the Vizio, instead of the receiver, handle input switching.

·
Registered
21 Posts
2) Can anyone recommend a decent Soundbar to connect to this TV? I've never purchased a sound bar before, and it's a bit new to me. Do I need to run the HDMI into the Soundbar and then out to the TV? Or, do I just use an optical cable from the TV out to the Soundbar. I'm not sure I really care about any of the new audio codecs. A simple 2.1 or 3.1 Soundbar setup with clear audio is all I'd really care about.
I would recommend the new stuff from Vizio because they also use smartcast and can be controlled by the tablet/smartcast app. I tried two other bars and while they worked, I needed their remote to tweak settings. https://www.vizio.com/audio/sb4031d5.html

·
Registered
46 Posts
I was able to get 4K demo videos to play through the USB3 (looks blue if you look in the USB slot). I even got sound to work through my receiver. I simply switched the input on the TV to COMP (I have actually renamed mine to USB since). AFTER you switch to the COMP input now insert your USB drive and it should start playing if it's in the root of the USB drive. Good luck!
Thanks! It works!!

Why this only works on the COMP input is weird. (And, "never mind" on my .mp4 file complaint above.)

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
So after debating back and forth between the P Series and the M Series, I pulled the trigger on the 2016 65" M series TV. The pricing is just too good right now.

I have three questions.

1) Since HDMI1 is the only port that supports HDR, that's where I intend to connect the Xbox One S. However, I'm imagining a future where I'll have more the one device that needs to use that port. Is there an HDMI switch anyone would recommend that will work with HDR. I found this one on Monoprice, and based on my limited understanding, it would appear to meet the requirements (HDCP 2.2, 4K @ 30Hz, 18Gbps).

http://www.monoprice.com/product?pg_no2=1&c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=15263&sortby=&period=&rating=&seq=1&format=4#feedback

3) Any HDMI cable with 18Gbps bandwidth is good enough right? Anything else I should watch out for?
Curious on your question one as well. As for cables I picked up some of these: https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-High-Speed-HDMI-Cable-Standard/dp/B014I8SSD0/ref=pd_pgh_B00YNH0DV2_B014I8SSD0?pf_rd_p=2461240762&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00YNH0DV2&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=RHQ8W6NS1SQG78KYWYZS monoprice will work fine too.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The frustrating thing for me isn't that there's just one port that can support some modicum of HDR, but the fact that port is an ARC one is shortsided as hell. I currently have a PS4, Wii U, DirecTV box, and an Xbox One that all get audio via ARC on the Vizio 5.1 Soundbar.

So to put HDMI 1 on the Xbox One S means none of my other devices have solid sound. I have an optical cable running to my M70-D3, but that'd only cover one of four devices...

Hoping someone can help with a solution, as of now, I'm wishing I went with the P65 over this M70.

·
Premium Member
1,319 Posts
The frustrating thing for me isn't that there's just one port that can support some modicum of HDR, but the fact that port is an ARC one is shortsided as hell. I currently have a PS4, Wii U, DirecTV box, and an Xbox One that all get audio via ARC on the Vizio 5.1 Soundbar.

So to put HDMI 1 on the Xbox One S means none of my other devices have solid sound. I have an optical cable running to my M70-D3, but that'd only cover one of four devices...

Hoping someone can help with a solution, as of now, I'm wishing I went with the P65 over this M70.
It's not an issue for me currently but how much more expensive could it be to have ALL HDMI v2.0a HDCP v2.2 ports? :confused::confused:

·
Registered
188 Posts

That's why I'm trying to get clarification on how this HDMI switcher from Monoprice works.

http://www.monoprice.com/product?pg_no2=1&c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=15263&sortby=&period=&rating=&seq=1&format=4&AID=11051853&PID=4003003&ref=cj&utm_source=cj&utm_medium=11051853&utm_term=VigLink-2470763#feedback

The technical specs say that it supports HDCP 2.2 and the full 18Gbps bandwidth for 4K at 60 FPS. The comments make it seem like there is a typo and it only supports 10.2Gbps. After an extensive Google search, I came across a product from Inakustik that supposedly does what I'm looking for. However, I have no idea how you go about obtaining it.

http://www.in-akustik.com/en/installation/hdmi/hdmi-switch/premium-hdmi-switch-3-1-high-speed-hdmi-20-0042450313-inst-1/

I don't want to snake 5 cables through my wall for different devices. I want to connect everything to this switch and then run one cable from the switch to HDMI1 on the TV. However, if the switch won't pass the HDR info to the TV then I don't want to pursue it at all. For right now, I'll only have the Xbox One S, but I imagine it won't be long before Apple releases a 4K/HDR Apple TV, and I'll want to connect that as well.

I'll also need the sound bar to do HDCP 2.2 passthrough as well. I'm assuming the new 2016 Vizio Soundbars will do that, but I'm having a hard time confirming that.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts

I debated between the 2 for months and went the opposite direction as you. My main reason was the WCG and more future proofing valued over the extra 5". The general consensus I found from AVS was go P65 over M70.

Are you still in your return period?

·
Registered
54 Posts
M70-D3 update

Received email from tech support. The firmware release for
the M70-D3 will be different than the one just released. If you have already installed that update at the link for the P series and the M65 you shouldn't have. You jumped the gun and it could cause you problems from my understanding.

Glad I didn't install it! Something must be somewhat different with this panel. Said a specific firmware will be released for the M70-D3 soon.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Received email from tech support. The firmware release for
the M70-D3 will be different than the one just released. If you have already installed that update at the link for the P series and the M65 you shouldn't have. You jumped the gun and it could cause you problems from my understanding.

Glad I didn't install it! Something must be somewhat different with this panel. Said a specific firmware will be released for the M70-D3 soon.
Good to know. I did mine last night. Followed the wifi instructions here: https://support.vizio.com/s/article/Firmware-Information-244 Basically this is the one that should at some point automatically download but follow the instructions for the manual download.

This link states firmware for M70 & M80 and the update went fine; took about 15 minutes to complete. Havent tested any HDR stuff yet.

681 - 700 of 10315 Posts