AVS Forum banner

7501 - 7520 of 10317 Posts

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Thanks @sonoftumble for the last several calibrations. I have the M55-DO and although haven't watched a movie yet with the latest version, have watched several concert Blu-rays and the colors look great...I do have the latest firmware update and have compared "Standard" to the last two calibrations. Fwiw, I feel the latest compares well and may be better, but I am still learning where the differences lie because both are very good pics on the material I have been viewing.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Something else must be off. I checked by pointing at my cellphone's camera, and I can see IR is working. However, nothing is happening when I use on my TV. Even the arrow keys (at extreme right of alphanumeric pad) don't work.
Make sure that your fingers are clear of the side IR emitter. The natural way of holding the remote with the keyboard side up encourages my fingers to cover the emitter. I do it all the time!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I run both of my M70-D3's through A/V that is HDMI 2.0a, HDCP 2.2 and ARC enabled. I use the HDMI switching in the A/V as you have described (and the upscaler as well, I think it is superior to the Vizio) and only use the HDMI 1 input on the Vizio. However, in both cases I also us an optical out from the display. I do this because when I cast I do not get sound from the system unless I switch the A/V to the input that the optical cable is using. This makes sense to me, since I also have to change the display to Cast instead of HDMI 1. If I read your post correctly you get all of your sound via ARC. So how are you doing that? If you have to set the display input to Cast and take it off HDMI 1, how do you still get sound via ACR over an inactive input? Or were you only referring to sources that use HDMI 1 on the display? Thanks.
HDMI 1 on the TV supports ARC and HDR10. I plugged my HDMI cable from HDMI 1 to HDMI OUT on the receiver. Everything plugged in to my receiver is going to the supported ARC HDMI port on the TV.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Thanks @sonoftumble for the last several calibrations. I have the M55-DO and although haven't watched a movie yet with the latest version, have watched several concert Blu-rays and the colors look great...I do have the latest firmware update and have compared "Standard" to the last two calibrations. Fwiw, I feel the latest compares well and may be better, but I am still learning where the differences lie because both are very good pics on the material I have been viewing.
Thank you for the feedback.

Of course it's all up to personal preferences, but I think that "Standard" a bit over-powering for dark room movie watching. With Rev 4.5, I haven't even felt the need to change the gamma when the lighting in the room is brighter. I set it - and it's done - at least on my end.

Switching to "Standard" also changes the Color temp to Cool which clears out the Color Tuner and 11 point settings, because the TV loads a separate CMS table. Retuning to the custom picture mode will reload the "Normal" color temp settings. I tried switching back and forth and I noticed that with Standard, the colors are toned down a bit in the mid-range, which exaggerates colors above mid. Also, I can see a bit of a blue bias in white.

Anyway, that's what I'm seeing on my panel. Due to panel differences, you may be seeing something else. If you turn down the basic Color setting to 0, you will get a B&W picture. If it doesn't look grey, and has a "tint" - blue or pink - then that will change the white reference point. If you have an old B&W photo that you could hold up in front of the screen, you will see which way the bias is leaning. Normal temp should provide accurate B&W performance.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
What I wanted to do was cast some home videos from the C: drive of my laptop to the Vizio (M70-d3) and wanted to do it without wires. Perhaps there is a workaround if I go out and procure all the gadgetry described above but I think I'll just go back to hard wiring the laptop to the TV like I used to do.
Did you try Plex?

·
Registered
373 Posts
@JD4L

The color gamut on the M60-D1 is pretty limited, especially on the green side of things. The wider gamut of the new M series helps it reach deeper levels of green, that actually cover the full REC 709 gamut, and this makes greens and yellows (yellow = green + red) pop more.
Do you still have the M60 or did you swap it for the new M55?
I'm really interested in hearing how HDR content looks on this set compared to the M60-D1. If you have Netflix 4K account, try to watch Miridian, The cosmic laundromat, and some other HDR content and compare between the two sets?
How do the 32 led zones behave compared to the M60-D1's 64?

I took my m60 back to Sam's and bought this one as a replacement.... lag seems low when gaming similar to the m60 I had... I still don't get why when forcing the Xbox one s to 4k it makes a slight increase in lag compared to running at 1080p even though everyone says 4k would mean lower lag.. even my friends feel it too when I switch it for them.. when going at 4k does it mess with the gram rate at all and could that be wHy?? If anyone's knows I'd appreciate it.... and I will watch those tonight! :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Since downloading firmware 3.2.8.3, I've not been able to edit the "11 point" settings.
Earlier in the thread it was mentioned this is a fw bug and the workaround is to play non 4K content to unlock the 11 point system.
However, I've tried streaming 1080p and lower resolutions using the Vizio Tablet Apps and it still doesn't allow me to edit this.
Does the workaround not apply if streaming/casting? Do I need a different input source like a Bluray/DVD to be able to edit the "11 point"?

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
@chadc20112

You have to have an HDMI source connected to the display set to 1080P (not just play 1080P content), it won't work with the Cast input.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Since downloading firmware 3.2.8.3, I've not been able to edit the "11 point" settings.
Earlier in the thread it was mentioned this is a fw bug and the workaround is to play non 4K content to unlock the 11 point system.
However, I've tried streaming 1080p and lower resolutions using the Vizio Tablet Apps and it still doesn't allow me to edit this.
Does the workaround not apply if streaming/casting? Do I need a different input source like a Bluray/DVD to be able to edit the "11 point"?
Just play any cable/satellite channel. You do not have to be at 1080P, just 1080P or lower resolution.

·
Registered
8,210 Posts
Just an FYI, both TV's are LG OLED'S, and one is being fed an SDR signal, and the other is getting the full 4:4:4 60Hz 13.2Gb HDR-10 WCG signal.
Just to clarify​, if you are coming from your BR Player it's 4:2:0 24hz or 60hz 4k HDR.
If you are streaming it's 4:2:2 24hz or 60hz HDR or DV.

Can you do the same compare with your m70?

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
373 Posts
Just picked up the new m55! Let you guys know it is in case anyone is wondering
Cool. Keep us posted on how you like it.
I actually put my M55-C2 up for sale to see if I can get it sold and upgrade to the M55-E0.

I wonder, since the new M series has less zones, WCG and the hardware is different (only 60Hz panels, no HDMI 5 low latency port, no tablet), should we have a new official owners thread or will this thread have the 2017 model added to its title?
I'm loving the colors so far.... everything is much more vivid and clear.... I don't like that it's just a 60 hz panel :( I'm one of the few who loves having smooth motion on but it also seems to do a better job with watching stuff from my cable box and up converting everything. Lag is also low when gaming.... still don't understand though why it's lower in 1080p then 4k even though everyone's says 4k should be lower :/

·
Registered
373 Posts
So I'm watching meridian and I see that it's a title that appears to have smooth motion turned on even though this set doesn't have that feature.... so what exactly is the reason for a show to be able to be displayed as if smooth motion setting was turned on?

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Just to clarify​, if you are coming from your BR Player it's 4:2:0 24hz or 60hz 4k HDR.
If you are streaming it's 4:2:2 24hz or 60hz HDR or DV.

Can you do the same compare with your m70?

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
Yes. A little background on the two pictures . . . these were taken at last year's Cedia show in Dallas. I was actually working in the AVPro Connect booth showing integrators a control system for the new MX88-AUHD 8x8 18Gb matrix switching box. The box allows you share the same source and force an SDR signal out of one output, and at the same time push the full 13.2 Gb/sec signal out of another output. That way the integrator can see how dramatically different the HDR content looks compared to SDR on two identical displays; in this case 65" LG E6 OLED's. I happen to have one of those MX88 boxes that I could dust off and connect into my system. I also have a 65" LG E6. I could take some side-by-side comparison pics ( OLED vs. M70 ), as well as separate M70 stand alone pics with the two different signals.

Is that what you were thinking, or are you looking for something different?

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
So I'm watching meridian and I see that it's a title that appears to have smooth motion turned on even though this set doesn't have that feature.... so what exactly is the reason for a show to be able to be displayed as if smooth motion setting was turned on?
It's 60FPS.

·
Registered
373 Posts
It's 60FPS.

Well when I go to display info every show on Netflix says it's running at 60 so why aren't they all like meridian

·
Registered
148 Posts
Thank you for the great feedback. I haven't felt the need to go back and change anything on my end - the PQ is that amazing. Blu-rays look even better. The better the signal, the better the PQ. Did you catch the typo discussion a couple of pages back? Very simple change - in the Color Tuner - set Yellow Brightness to -1. The typo had +5.

You ought to check out "The Great Wall." The colors in that movie are mind blowing. Watched it using your settings the other night and it looks fantastic. The only thing I noticed is that the color green specifically looked a bit blown out. I don't believe I've moved the yellow brightness down from 5 to -1 yet. I don't know if that might have something to do with. But yeah other than slightly blown out greens, the PQ of that movie blew my mind. Felt like watching HDR even though it was SDR.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
@JD4L

Most content on Netflix is 24FPS (25FPS for European), Miridian was shot in 60FPS, just look at some 60FPS videos on youtube.
Both of my Vizios display the correct vertical refresh rate, depending on content. I can't say why yours always shows 60Hz. :confused:

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
@JD4L

Could you do the 24p test from rtings? Linky
Interested to see whether it does 24p properly, and how it handles [email protected] and [email protected]

You basically play their video when your source is outputting 24hz, 60hz progressive, and 60hz interlaced (if possible).
Set the exposure on your camera/phone to 1s and take a picture.
My tests confirmed their findings for the 2016 model, where it handled 24p properly, but couldn't handle [email protected] I'm interested in seeing whether the 60Hz panel can properly handle 24P content on the new model.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
You ought to check out "The Great Wall." The colors in that movie are mind blowing. Watched it using your settings the other night and it looks fantastic. The only thing I noticed is that the color green specifically looked a bit blown out. I don't believe I've moved the yellow brightness down from 5 to -1 yet. I don't know if that might have something to do with. But yeah other than slightly blown out greens, the PQ of that movie blew my mind. Felt like watching HDR even though it was SDR.
Yes, I would definitely lower the yellow brightness to -1. Yellow is a combo ( secondary ) color in which both green and red are combined. Lowering the yellow brightness will also indirectly lower green brightness as well as red, but not as radically as changing the settings directly for those primary colors. Green brightness is already set to -7, so I would stay away from there. The other thing you could try is lowering green gain - although that will mess with grey scale. You may need to fiddle.

Try the yellow brightness first and see if that helps. Might be all you need.

Thanks for the movie suggestion. I will try to watch it tonight. I'm curious if green will also be an issue on my set. :)

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I still do love the blacks on this tv. You cannot tell where the black bars end and the movie begins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7501 - 7520 of 10317 Posts