AVS Forum banner

7541 - 7560 of 10325 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
@sonoftumble

Thanks, I will check out Meridian later today. I guess I thought I'd see a noticeable difference on 4K Netflix. My wife sees no difference as well. My Uverse TV service upscaled looks just as good as 4K Netflix. Pretty disappointing.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Also I just stuck in a blu ray and when 24hz enabled it shows I'm seeing 24 fps and when disabled it shows 60 like it should but on Netflix no matter what I put on it shows 60

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
@JD4L

You basically play the rtings video when your source is outputting 24hz, 60hz progressive, and 60hz interlaced (if possible).
Set the exposure on your camera/phone to 1s and take a picture.
My tests confirmed their findings for the 2016 model, where it handled 24p properly, but couldn't handle [email protected] I'm interested in seeing whether the 60Hz panel can properly handle 24P content on the new model.

Are you casting Netflix or playing via the bluray player?

·
Registered
76 Posts
@sonoftumble

I checked out Meridian and WOW was it ever better than the rest of the 4K content I sampled on Netflix. I guess it confirms that there is nothing wrong with the Vizio, its just that Netflix 4K content is very underwhelming.

I also checked out some 4K vids on YouTube and some look completely amazing.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
@sonoftumble

I checked out Meridian and WOW was it ever better than the rest of the 4K content I sampled on Netflix. I guess it confirms that there is nothing wrong with the Vizio, its just that Netflix 4K content is very underwhelming.

I also checked out some 4K vids on YouTube and some look completely amazing.
Also check out "Iron Fist". Do a search on Netflix for "HDR" and it will be one of the shows listed. The show gets mixed reviews, but about 1/2 way through Ep 1, there is a street party/parade at night. All kinds of crazy lighting and bubbles and sparklers. Also, the "Chef's Table" profile shows look amazing. The food looks like it's hiding inside the TV! These are Dolby Vision examples.

Enjoy

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
What model M do you have? Just curious. Mine is an M70-D3. I have a really great meter based calibration that I posted a few pages back. The picture is awesome - beyond expectations.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Also check out "Iron Fist". Do a search on Netflix for "HDR" and it will be one of the shows listed. The show gets mixed reviews, but about 1/2 way through Ep 1, there is a street party/parade at night. All kinds of crazy lighting and bubbles and sparklers. Also, the "Chef's Table" profile shows look amazing. The food looks like it's hiding inside the TV! These are Dolby Vision examples.

Enjoy

Yeah I remember you telling me to check out that episode of iron fist and you was right it looked badass!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Thanks @sonoftumble for the last several calibrations. I have the M55-DO and although haven't watched a movie yet with the latest version, have watched several concert Blu-rays and the colors look great...I do have the latest firmware update and have compared "Standard" to the last two calibrations. Fwiw, I feel the latest compares well and may be better, but I am still learning where the differences lie because both are very good pics on the material I have been viewing.
Over the weekend I was able to break away from the concerts and watch "Life of Pi" again and thought the colors really popped with Rev 4.5 . Then I watched a couple of Van Gogh documentaries off of Amazon and YouTube and was really impressed by the color rendition of his paintings, which I've been fortunate to have seen first hand on many dozen of occasions. :) I also watched another episode of the Earth II in HDR and as incredible as the picture was, didn't I read a few pages back you were going to do a separate calibration for that material?

·
Registered
76 Posts
What model M do you have? Just curious. Mine is an M70-D3. I have a really great meter based calibration that I posted a few pages back. The picture is awesome - beyond expectations.
I have the M65-D0, so your settings might not match up, but I will try them. I haven't played with anything more than the basic settings yet.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Over the weekend I was able to break away from the concerts and watch "Life of Pi" again and thought the colors really popped with Rev 4.5 . Then I watched a couple of Van Gogh documentaries off of Amazon and YouTube and was really impressed by the color rendition of his paintings, which I've been fortunate to have seen first hand on many dozen of occasions. :) I also watched another episode of the Earth II in HDR and as incredible as the picture was, didn't I read a few pages back you were going to do a separate calibration for that material?
Hoping to get to that this week. :) Thank's again for the feedback. Rev. 4.5 seems to be the ticket. I haven't seen anything in terms of content that made me feel compelled to pull out the meter and do another run. Not sure that would do any good, as the readings were so tight in the first place.

I will have to do two separate calibrations; Dolby Vision and HDR-10. :eek: I'm still studying-up on best practices, because it appears that the way you tackle each is different. Both DV and HDR-10 take over the TV's. For example, when playing HDR-10 content, I noticed that the basic Color setting jumped from 50 to 58 all by itself, and ( of course ), a new CMS table was loaded. That Color setting "adjustment" changes the calibration. DV takes control of the backlight, but that's just the obvious change, as there's certainly more going on under-the-hood with both.

Pray for me! :D

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
I have the M65-D0, so your settings might not match up, but I will try them. I haven't played with anything more than the basic settings yet.
It won't hurt to try them. So far, I've received thumbs up from M55, M65, and of course M70 owners. The M60 is IPS, so it's been a mixed reaction. Vizio used two panels during the M65 production run. How different they are, in terms of video performance, is anyone's guess.

EDIT: You should see better color performance with these settings as they were optimized for SDR content. Cable/satellite, 1080P, and 4K should look great - and better than what you have been seeing.
One of the members thought that the settings made SDR content look somewhat closer to HDR in terms of color/contrast/dynamics. I agree with that assessment.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Fine tuned.

My goodness you folks certainly are passionate about your calibration settings. It's the only topic anyone wants to talk about anymore. Any prospective owner would be scared to death to invest in this piece of electronics when faced with the impossibility of creating the one true setting.

Shouldn't the moderator create a "calibrations settings" thread to send all this stuff to?

Broadcasting live from the basement of the science building.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
My goodness you folks certainly are passionate about your calibration settings. It's the only topic anyone wants to talk about anymore. Any prospective owner would be scared to death to invest in this piece of electronics when faced with the impossibility of creating the one true setting.

Shouldn't the moderator create a "calibrations settings" thread to send all this stuff to?

Broadcasting live from the basement of the science building.
We're beyond start up questions. Now we're on to fine tuning this beast. But if you have a newbie question like to how to get the tablet to work then by all means ask. :rolleyes:

But I think if people are physically posting here in this forum and other AVS forums then I'd wager a bet they like this hobby and want to get the most out of their purchase(s). I like all of this in one thread; no need for a separate one. A lot of good knowledge here.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts

Enjoy

I wanted to compare Netflix DV via the tablet Casting to Netflex HDR10 via HDMI/Cat5 from my xBox One S. The xBox is routed through a high end Marantz system. All HDMI is 18 Gpbs high speed.

So the HDR10 feed from the xBox came though fine. The first cast from the tablet started at 480P, then went to 720P, then to 4K and finally showed DV. Took about 15 seconds to get there and I had to keep refreshing the display info. For grins I tried another of your program suggestions and it never streamed in DV. I got 4k but no DV (or HDR10), just the word NORMAL where you would normally see Dolby Vision or HDR10 displayed in the info line at the top of the display.

I did a few speed tests during this and it was running just under 50Mps each time. So is this a common issue with Netflex when you cast? The picture looked fine (I really couldn't see any difference between the formats to be honest) but the audio didn't always come through. It sounds like I might be better off going with the xBox for both Netflex and Amazon Prime. Or was this just a one off fluke?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hey guys, I have Squaretrade offering me a replacement set for mine and I wanted to make sure this offer was a fair replacement. Mind giving me your opinion? I'd appreciate it.

Brand:Vizio
Model #:M65-D0
Size:65 Inch
Display Resolution:4K Ultra HD
3D:No
Smart TV: SmartCast

My current TV that went bad is this:

VIZIO VIM65C1

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
I wanted to compare Netflix DV via the tablet Casting to Netflex HDR10 via HDMI/Cat5 from my xBox One S. The xBox is routed through a high end Marantz system. All HDMI is 18 Gpbs high speed.

So the HDR10 feed from the xBox came though fine. The first cast from the tablet started at 480P, then went to 720P, then to 4K and finally showed DV. Took about 15 seconds to get there and I had to keep refreshing the display info. For grins I tried another of your program suggestions and it never streamed in DV. I got 4k but no DV (or HDR10), just the word NORMAL where you would normally see Dolby Vision or HDR10 displayed in the info line at the top of the display.

I did a few speed tests during this and it was running just under 50Mps each time. So is this a common issue with Netflex when you cast? The picture looked fine (I really couldn't see any difference between the formats to be honest) but the audio didn't always come through. It sounds like I might be better off going with the xBox for both Netflex and Amazon Prime. Or was this just a one off fluke?
@How Bout That . . . here's another non-calibration topic.

The Netflix Smartcast streaming from the tablet ( well, not really directly from the tablet - it hands off to the TV with a specific URL ), takes about 10-15 seconds to ramp up the stream. Probably Netflix's server doing that. The xBox may have a bigger buffer, or pulls from a different server. I noticed that my AppleTV almost instantly loads 1080P content. If the xBox does the better job, then I would stick with that. Strange you couldn't get DV to play through the tablet. Try this from the tablet, and in this order: Launch Netflix, then tap on the Cast icon and connect to your TV. Your TV should now see "Ready to Cast" with the Netflix logo. Next, do a search for HDR, then tap on "Chef's Table" ( not the France one ), choose Season 3, Ep. 4, Ivan Orkin. Tap the Play icon. You should see the DV logo appear just above the loading %. This is a really good episode, very interesting, and there's tons of HDR "eye candy". Let me know if you get it to work.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Hey guys, I have Squaretrade offering me a replacement set for mine and I wanted to make sure this offer was a fair replacement. Mind giving me your opinion? I'd appreciate it.

Brand:Vizio
Model #:M65-D0
Size:65 Inch
Display Resolution:4K Ultra HD
3D:No
Smart TV: SmartCast

My current TV that went bad is this:

VIZIO VIM65C1
That's a great upgrade! 64 FALD zones vs.32 on your old one. HDR, big improvements in PQ. Or you can tell them to send you a check for the full replacement value, and get the new 2017 M65-E0, which if you like to game, you won't be happy with the 60Hz panel. The M65-E0 does have wide color gamut. Otherwise take them up on their offer. Can't go wrong either way.

7541 - 7560 of 10325 Posts