AVS Forum banner

7561 - 7580 of 10315 Posts

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
My goodness you folks certainly are passionate about your calibration settings. It's the only topic anyone wants to talk about anymore. Any prospective owner would be scared to death to invest in this piece of electronics when faced with the impossibility of creating the one true setting.

Shouldn't the moderator create a "calibrations settings" thread to send all this stuff to?

Broadcasting live from the basement of the science building.
You shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth! There are ton's of disc based "calibrations" out there, and going into the CMS without a meter is not a good idea. That's where the magic hides, and most will leave it be. When an actual meter based/pro tools type of calibration comes along, the interest is very high. And it's not a single setting that makes the difference; but an entire chorus of settings all interdependent on a step by step workflow to achieve the final result. A real calibration makes a tremendous difference with regard to PQ. It's night and day better. These TV's are so good that with a true calibration, you will realize just how insanely good they are. Anyway, that's why I share. I don't want to be the only one out there with the best looking M70-D3 picture.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hello Everyone,
I got my M70-D3 delivered last week and have been trying to set it up. I have been playing with it for some time and have tried to follow some settings from rtings. It definitely improves the settings compared to those that come out of the box.
Here are my few impressions for far -
1. One needs to change the default picture settings to something else as recommended by some folks here.
2. The tablet remote sucks. I tried the phone app and it works much better. I think its just the tablet quality.
3. I would have preferred a traditional remote, and wondering if anyone tried using the newer E series (2017 models) remote with D series, instead of tablet. I hear that Vizio is packaging a full feature remote with its newer (high end) TVs compared to the tablet approach. Trying to check if this newer remote is compatible.
4. Can anyone suggest a good small profile digital TV tuner. Wife still is little old school and needs OTA HD channel. We dont have cable.
5. Lastly can anyone suggest a good TV stand (like a bench type) with some drawers below it. Functional enough for an apartment. Its still on floor, cant mount on wall.
6. Has anyone tried watching this clip from youtube "Football in Ultra HD (2160p 4k)". I see that the animated graphics look cool, but the ball in actual game looks jittery and choppy, specifically at 29, 39, 45 sec marks and such. I feel the effect is very similar to the effects seen in local dimming test on rtings.

I hope the TV grows on me. Else will have to part with it.
Any feedback on above appreciated.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Hello Everyone,
I got my M70-D3 delivered last week and have been trying to set it up. I have been playing with it for some time and have tried to follow some settings from rtings. It definitely improves the settings compared to those that come out of the box.
1. One needs to change the default picture settings to something else as recommended by some folks here.
2. The tablet remote sucks. I tried the phone app and it works much better. I think its just the tablet quality.
3. I would have preferred a traditional remote, and wondering if anyone tried using the newer E series (2017 models) remote with D series, instead of tablet. I hear that Vizio is packaging a full feature remote with its newer (high end) TVs compared to the tablet approach. Trying to check if this newer remote is compatible.
4. Can anyone suggest a good small profile digital TV tuner. Wife still is little old school and needs OTA HD channel. We dont have cable.
5. Lastly can anyone suggest a good TV stand (like a bench type) with some drawers below it. Functional enough for an apartment. Its still on floor, cant mount on wall.
6. Has anyone tried watching this clip from youtube "Football in Ultra HD (2160p 4k)". I see that the animated graphics look cool, but the ball in actual game looks jittery and choppy, specifically at 29, 39, 45 sec marks and such. I feel the effect is very similar to the effects seen in local dimming test on rtings.

I hope the TV grows on me. Else will have to part with it.
Any feedback on above appreciated.
1. use @sonoftumble settings and you'll be good.
2. Agree on the tablet. Never even took it out of the box and used my iphone smartcast app instead.
3. I got the 2017 remote as part of the beta group. Works as expected. You can get one eventually or buy an older vizio remote and it should work.
4. I have the XB1S and use the OTA One Guide with their recommended dongle. Works awesome. There was an thread earlier today specifically talking about Vizio and the lack of a tuner and some posters highly recommended this digi tuner: https://www.amazon.com/Mediasonic-Homeworx-HW180STB-Converter-Recording/dp/B00IYETYX8/ref=pd_rhf_gw_p_img_6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=HMWYKDFC91WK4VEHY3K9
5. na
6. will check it out.

·
Registered
40 Posts
So not sure whats up, after I upgraded to Netflix UHD plan, the pic quality sucks for the most part. Like Master of None says HD but looks horrible, Dare Devil is playing jittery and kinda soap opera-ishs and doesn't look as sharp as it did on my old Toshiba 47, same for other shows... however when I play the UHD Jelly Fish thing they have on there it streams and looks incredible. Not sure what happened, haven't touched tv/settings yet.

edit - hmmm ok, reset the Firestick and seems to be ok now and set judder and motion blur to 0 for soap opera effect, whats weird is didn't really notice that till today. I've got black bars though at top and bottom now though on Flix but I guess thats specific to some shows, Going back to Daredevil looks fine now and is full

edit - I'm an idiot... I don't know why I was using the stick when I was casting before with this tv lol

·
Registered
470 Posts
Can anyone measure from desk to where the screen starts on the M60-D1? Trying to figure out if my soundbar would fit in front of one lol.

Also, dell has the M60-D1 for 899 with 300 dollar dell gift card. I need a PC monitor too so really good deal for me.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Hello Everyone,
If you decide to try my settings ( you should, since they are based on my M70-D3 ), here's a link direct to the post. Feedback is welcome.

M70-D3 Calibration Rev 4.5 FW 3.2.8.3 link: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/2493546-official-2016-vizio-m-series-owner-s-thread-248.html#post53000018

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
@How Bout That . . . here's another non-calibration topic.

The Netflix Smartcast streaming from the tablet ( well, not really directly from the tablet - it hands off to the TV with a specific URL ), takes about 10-15 seconds to ramp up the stream. Probably Netflix's server doing that. The xBox may have a bigger buffer, or pulls from a different server. I noticed that my AppleTV almost instantly loads 1080P content. If the xBox does the better job, then I would stick with that. Strange you couldn't get DV to play through the tablet. Try this from the tablet, and in this order: Launch Netflix, then tap on the Cast icon and connect to your TV. Your TV should now see "Ready to Cast" with the Netflix logo. Next, do a search for HDR, then tap on "Chef's Table" ( not the France one ), choose Season 3, Ep. 4, Ivan Orkin. Tap the Play icon. You should see the DV logo appear just above the loading %. This is a really good episode, very interesting, and there's tons of HDR "eye candy". Let me know if you get it to work.
Thanks. I usually start Netflix and open the movie on the tablet and then do the cast. Never thought about doing cast first and then starting the movie. I will try that and maybe it will make a difference in loading. Like I said, I did get the first sample off your list that I tried, the parade scene, and it was in DV. The second one, the food scene, never kicked in.

Its sort of a wash to me. I use an A/V closet with a RF remote for the xBox One S setup and I like it because I can navigate with the remote and everything is hardwired so I get great signal. The downside is HDR10 only. With the tablet (or phone) I use it to navigate and the signal is partial wireless. But I can do DV. My comparison of the two formats with the parade scene was a tie. Both looked pretty much the same to me. I guess I need to look at more material. And maybe clean my glasses???? :eek:

·
Registered
43 Posts
You shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth! There are ton's of disc based "calibrations" out there, and going into the CMS without a meter is not a good idea. That's where the magic hides, and most will leave it be. When an actual meter based/pro tools type of calibration comes along, the interest is very high. And it's not a single setting that makes the difference; but an entire chorus of settings all interdependent on a step by step workflow to achieve the final result. A real calibration makes a tremendous difference with regard to PQ. It's night and day better. These TV's are so good that with a true calibration, you will realize just how insanely good they are. Anyway, that's why I share. I don't want to be the only one out there with the best looking M70-D3 picture.
I understand calibrations are important to some people. That's why every other TV/monitor I've owned had a whole separate thread devoted to exactly that. You know what's important to me? The video I recorded of my kid at a birthday party last week. Wanted to play it on the Vizio without running cords all over the living room and thought the "wireless" Vizio could handle it. After three days trying to get an answer here I consulted Vizio support and as usual, they know nothing about their equipment and said it's impossible to do what I wanted without wires.
Regarding calibration, every program you watch requires a separate calibration setting. Same goes for every scene within that program and every room your monitor is in and if there are windows in your viewing room, you'll need separate settings for each hour of the day. Finally, you'll need separate settings for each pair of eyes viewing the content. I don't have time for all that--just want to see my kid on the moon bounce.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I understand calibrations are important to some people. That's why every other TV/monitor I've owned had a whole separate thread devoted to exactly that. You know what's important to me? The video I recorded of my kid at a birthday party last week. Wanted to play it on the Vizio without running cords all over the living room and thought the "wireless" Vizio could handle it. After three days trying to get an answer here I consulted Vizio support and as usual, they know nothing about their equipment and said it's impossible to do what I wanted without wires.
Regarding calibration, every program you watch requires a separate calibration setting. Same goes for every scene within that program and every room your monitor is in and if there are windows in your viewing room, you'll need separate settings for each hour of the day. Finally, you'll need separate settings for each pair of eyes viewing the content. I don't have time for all that--just want to see my kid on the moon bounce.
Did you post a question asking how to do this? There should be an easy way to cast your videos; like upload to youtube then cast etc.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Option 1
Transfer the video to a laptop (if its not on one already), download google chrome and install the google cast chrome extension.
Cast an empty chrome browser tab to the TV, then drag the video file to the empty browser tab or cast the desktop and play the movie. You should get both video and sound.

Option 2
You can also cast the video using an android phone. transfer the video to the phone. Cast (drop down menu should have the cast button or it will be under settings) the phone to the TV. Play the video on your phone (using VLC or any other Video app) you should get both sound and video on the TV.

Reactions: sonoftumble

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
About 5 days ago, I did some research on your query and provided info that would allow you to wirelessly cast your home videos from your PC to your TV. You need to get a Chromecast Ultra ( $69 ) or a Chromecast ( $35 ) dongle, and install the Chrome browser on your PC. To be fair to Vizio, "off-road" or rogue casting capabilities are restricted by Google, otherwise you wouldn't need to buy a Chromecast dongle. :(

Here's the step-by-step: https://www.howtogeek.com/199565/mirror-anything-from-your-computer-to-your-tv-using-google-chromecast/

In the Apple world, you need an AppleTV in order to do their version of casting called "Airplay".

First world problems. Big corporations trying to keep you invested in their ecosystems. As they say, "that's life".

As far as calibrations go, if it adheres to ISF standards - ( which mine does ) - and the source content is doing the same ( about 98% of what's out there ) you won't need a separate calibration except for HDR media. Local news doesn't count. For gaming you might want to change the PM.

I understand your frustration with trying to play home videos, but maybe you could reduce the salt?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think I found a bug in Vizio's SmartCast functionality.

It seems like it does not properly play back video files that are exactly 1920x1080p.

I originally noticed this problem when I was using "Videostream for Chrome" to cast a local file from my computer to my M55-D0.

Video get vertically squished.

The same file plays back fine if I cast it to my Google Chromecasts (1st and 2nd gen devices).
Other video files that are lower resolution play fine with SmartCast.

At first I thought this was a problem with this specific file so I tried messing around with mkv container adjusting various video headers, alas to no avail. I also tried transmuxing it to mp4 container, but that also made no difference.

I also thought that maybe this was the problem with Videostream app, but even using VLC to cast still causes this problem. Yet casting it to Google Chromecast proper works.

I then was able to reproduce this problem with publicly available files.
I used jellyfish-3-mbps-hd-h264.mkv from http://jell.yfish.us/
This file plays squished on SmartCast but plays fine on Google Chromecast.
Finally, I uploaded this file to YouTube
, and once again, playing it through SmartCast squishes the video. Playing it on Google Chromecast or Roku Premier+ connected to the same TV plays fine.

It looks like at least M65-D0 also has this bug.

Would be nice for Vizio to fix this...

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
I think I found a bug in Vizio's SmartCast functionality.

It seems like it does not properly play back video files that are exactly 1920x1080p. Would be nice for Vizio to fix this...
What is the current FW rev on your unit? If it's prior to vers. 3.2.8.3, then it's possible that the issue may have already been addressed/corrected.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
It is 3.2.8.3
When you are casting this specific 1080P content, open the mobile app and tap on System/System Info/Display Info. What do the resolution and VF fields say?

·
Registered
808 Posts
Are there a list of pros and cons of the M series vs the P series....I'm looking to make a purchase but it would be nice to have a list of features and alot of the time the higher tier model's features usually aren't things I care about.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Are there a list of pros and cons of the M series vs the P series....I'm looking to make a purchase but it would be nice to have a list of features and alot of the time the higher tier model's features usually aren't things I care about.
Hardware-wise, the P series is the better TV in every measurable way. Since I have no idea what features of a TV you care about, I will take a stab in the dark and say if PQ is important, the P is the way to go; and it checks all the boxes that a state-of-the-art display should.

I found this comparison for the 2017 models: https://www.vizio.com/tv-comparison

·
Registered
808 Posts
Hardware-wise, the P series is the better TV in every measurable way. Since I have no idea what features of a TV you care about, I will take a stab in the dark and say if PQ is important, the P is the way to go; and it checks all the boxes that a state-of-the-art display should.

I found this comparison for the 2017 models: https://www.vizio.com/tv-comparison
Is the 2017 model the one that gets rid of the tablet....I don't like the idea of using a tablet lol.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Is the 2017 model the one that gets rid of the tablet....I don't like the idea of using a tablet lol.
If you compare the P series to the 2016 M series:

128 vs 64 led zones.
WCG vs No WCG.
55"+ vs 60"+ for 120Hz panel.
on the M series HDMI 5 low latency port is only included in 60"+ models.
The P series is brighter - good for HDR.
P series has 4 [email protected] capable HDMI ports, M series on has 1.
P series has a nicer look?
The P series tablet is better, more storage, higher res screen.

P series to 2017 M series:
128 vs 32 led zones.
All M series have 60Hz panels, and looks like there's even no Reduce Judder support.
There is no HDMI 5 low latency port on any model, so only 4 HDMI ports on all sizes.
It's very likely that the P series will be brighter, but we'll have to wait for actual reviews.
P series has 4 [email protected] capable HDMI ports, M series on has 1.
P series has a nicer look?
M 2017 comes with a $5-10 remote, a 2016 P series comes with a much nicer tablet. (you can still use a $5-10 remote with it)

7561 - 7580 of 10315 Posts