AVS Forum banner

741 - 760 of 10324 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Picture Drop out

I was wondering if anyone has experienced something similar. I have had my M70-d3 for about 3 or 4 weeks now. All of a sudden, the picture has started going blank intermittently. It happens on both cast and HDMI 3 which I have been using for a DIRECTV HD DVR.

Until today it never happened. It seems to last about 4-5 seconds and then comes back on. Today was the first time and it seems to be happening regularly now.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
My M65-D0 was delivered yesterday and I managed to get it setup and working with my Harmony Ultimate remote. It's connected to a Denon AVR1913 on the HDMI port 1 on the TV, then the receiver has multiple HDMI cables out to my cable box, Playstation, etc. The issue I have is whenever I power everything on with my Harmony, I get "No Signal" on HDMI 1, until I unplug the HDMI cable and plug it back into port 1 on the TV. Any ideas what's going on here?
Can the Denon 1913 pass through 4K? When I first got my M70 I had the Denon 1610 and I connected my Direct Tv box directly to the Vizio then I did a optical out from the tv to the Denon to get audio. I now have the Denon X1200 which allows me to use the HDMI1 IN and HDMI ARC Out to the Vizio.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Can the Denon 1913 pass through 4K? When I first got my M70 I had the Denon 1610 and I connected my Direct Tv box directly to the Vizio then I did a optical out from the tv to the Denon to get audio. I now have the Denon X1200 which allows me to use the HDMI1 IN and HDMI ARC Out to the Vizio.
Nope, only 1080p. However the signal being sent from my STB is only 720p so there isn't a 4k signal going into my receiver anywhere. Does that matter?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I was wondering if anyone has experienced something similar. I have had my M70-d3 for about 3 or 4 weeks now. All of a sudden, the picture has started going blank intermittently. It happens on both cast and HDMI 3 which I have been using for a DIRECTV HD DVR.

Until today it never happened. It seems to last about 4-5 seconds and then comes back on. Today was the first time and it seems to be happening regularly now.

Thanks.
Yeah I was having this issue to with my Direct TV dvr and my Denon. Picture would go blank, come back up, go blank, come back up then finally no signal. I would power off and all would be fine for a while. I chalked it up to a handshake issue with my new Denon and the direct tv box where there is a known issue with these two. What was weird it only happened on shows that were recorded on the DVR. It never happened on the cast input watching Netflix. What I did do was replaced my two new Amazon cables (HDMI1 & HDMI OUT ARC) with two more new Amazon cables thinking that maybe i got a bad cable and sure enough the problem went away for the most part. I was watching the Last Ship on the dvr recorded 7/23 the other night and it happened again but thats the only time in the last 3 weeks.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Nope, only 1080p. However the signal being sent from my STB is only 720p so there isn't a 4k signal going into my receiver anywhere. Does that matter?
Maybe not. My reasoning for ditching the 1610 was lack of ARC and I wanted to be able to play all the HD audio with bluray. As long as you dont hook up a 4K streaming device you should be fine. With 4K, the entire chain needs to be 4K compatible. So if you buy a new 4K TV, want to feed it 4K via HDMI sources, and want to switch those sources using an AV receiver (as opposed to the TV), you'll need to buy a new receiver that handles those 4K sources.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Maybe not. My reasoning for ditching the 1610 was lack of ARC and I wanted to be able to play all the HD audio with bluray. As long as you dont hook up a 4K streaming device you should be fine. With 4K, the entire chain needs to be 4K compatible. So if you buy a new 4K TV, want to feed it 4K via HDMI sources, and want to switch those sources using an AV receiver (as opposed to the TV), you'll need to buy a new receiver that handles those 4K sources.
Yep. My receiver is only a few years old so when I do buy my first 4K device I'll go HMDI directly to the TV and optical for audio. Try to avoid buying another receiver for a while.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I still have an old Harmony 1100 remote. I finally made the changes to the software that I needed to for the new TV and for casting but cannot for the life of me get it to connect to my Mac. If anyone has any ideas what to try I'd greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Vizio support had me power down the display and do some type of reset. That seems to have helped for now, but I'm a bit skeptical. I have had some handshake issues in the past, and it does seem to have black screens when my Directv DVR changes HD format like from 1080i to 720p. Thanks for your quick response. I have been using all new amazon basic HDMI cables from the first day I set it up.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Vizio support had me power down the display and do some type of reset. That seems to have helped for now, but I'm a bit skeptical. I have had some handshake issues in the past, and it does seem to have black screens when my Directv DVR changes HD format like from 1080i to 720p. Thanks for your quick response. I have been using all new amazon basic HDMI cables from the first day I set it up.

Can you post the instructions on how you did the reset? Be good to know for others who might stumble on this issue. Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Can you post the instructions on how you did the reset? Be good to know for others who might stumble on this issue. Thanks!
Instructions to power down.

1) Unplug the TV power cable.
2) Hold down the power button (the top button of 4 on the right side of the TV on the back near the inputs) for 30 seconds.
3) Plug back in the power cable.

Process is complete.

·
Registered
563 Posts

Thanks.
I was griping about this in the Xbox thread and it was suggested to turn CEC completely off (Under system settings on the Vizio). This makes sense and I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I'm also using optical out, so I can get away with this "solution" where people actually using ARC on the HDMI port could not.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Im relieved that Im not the only one this is happening to but at the same time dont like that its happening. I also have to turn the monitor off and on to get the signal back, I also change the source on the app and that seems to get it back. Im running just a hdmi straight to the 4K genie Directv from the M70. I thought it may be a bad monitor but its probably the cable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the Vizio M65-D0 model, and I'm experiencing the same "blackouts" every few minutes. I have not seen the white/snowy screen, though.

Any updates on this? This seems to be a specific problem with the Xbox One S, but considering the technology and how new it is, it could be a firmware issue. I just don't want to be stuck with this, as I had to put my Xbox One S on HDMI 5 (the "blackouts" only occur on HDMI 1); I want to return this TV if I don't have guarantee that it's going to work.

I take it that no one on the P-series has encountered this?

Thank you!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yeah I was having this issue to with my Direct TV dvr and my Denon. Picture would go blank, come back up, go blank, come back up then finally no signal. I would power off and all would be fine for a while. I chalked it up to a handshake issue with my new Denon and the direct tv box where there is a known issue with these two. What was weird it only happened on shows that were recorded on the DVR. It never happened on the cast input watching Netflix. What I did do was replaced my two new Amazon cables (HDMI1 & HDMI OUT ARC) with two more new Amazon cables thinking that maybe i got a bad cable and sure enough the problem went away for the most part. I was watching the Last Ship on the dvr recorded 7/23 the other night and it happened again but thats the only time in the last 3 weeks.
Everyone needs to report this to Vizio because the same thing happened to me I went online and chatted with them. Told them I was concerned because of course I was very happy with the M70-D3 until the screen going black thing started happening. Like always this did not happen until like day 22nd or somewhere around there. It is just outside the 15 day BB return policy. So I am stuck with the TV now. I have not had it happen again. I had to turn TV off, unplug it for about 30 seconds and then plug it back in and held the power button down for about 10 -15 seconds. You'll see a menu come up on your TV that has all kinds of network, serial and model numbers of you system come up. I took a picture of that as it is handy to have a backup of that somewhere.

Once you hit any button on your remote, say volume, it goes away and picture was back. The power cycle and butting to that special menu seemed to reset the signal as I've not had more issues since. IF you have this issue please report it to Vizio as I did. They need to know what's going on and have it documented so if it becomes a big issue we can rely on others who have called and reported the same thing. I was not happy to hear the Vizio rep saying, "this is the first time I'm hearing of this issue with the M70-D3". If you look on this forum so far there are at least complaints about this in the double digits. I'm providing a link to their chat support. https://support.vizio.com/s/LiveChat/ Hope this helps.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have the Vizio M65-D0 model, and I'm experiencing the same "blackouts" every few minutes. I have not seen the white/snowy screen, though.

Any updates on this? This seems to be a specific problem with the Xbox One S, but considering the technology and how new it is, it could be a firmware issue. I just don't want to be stuck with this, as I had to put my Xbox One S on HDMI 5 (the "blackouts" only occur on HDMI 1); I want to return this TV if I don't have guarantee that it's going to work.

I take it that no one on the P-series has encountered this?

Thank you!
Instructions to power down.

1) Unplug the TV power cable.
2) Hold down the power button (the top button of 4 on the right side of the TV on the back near the inputs) for 30 seconds.
3) Plug back in the power cable.

Process is complete.
Try that and see if that works for you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It's too soon for me to tell if the problem is really gone. I never had snow. Only full black screen. VIZIO said if it continues they will send someone out, but I purchased from Costco, so if it keeps happening, I will have to return it. Too bad since I am otherwise very happy with it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Everyone needs to report this to Vizio because the same thing happened to me I went online and chatted with them. Told them I was concerned because of course I was very happy with the M70-D3 until the screen going black thing started happening. Like always this did not happen until like day 22nd or somewhere around there. It is just outside the 15 day BB return policy. So I am stuck with the TV now. I have not had it happen again. I had to turn TV off, unplug it for about 30 seconds and then plug it back in and held the power button down for about 10 -15 seconds. You'll see a menu come up on your TV that has all kinds of network, serial and model numbers of you system come up. I took a picture of that as it is handy to have a backup of that somewhere.

Once you hit any button on your remote, say volume, it goes away and picture was back. The power cycle and butting to that special menu seemed to reset the signal as I've not had more issues since. IF you have this issue please report it to Vizio as I did. They need to know what's going on and have it documented so if it becomes a big issue we can rely on others who have called and reported the same thing. I was not happy to hear the Vizio rep saying, "this is the first time I'm hearing of this issue with the M70-D3". If you look on this forum so far there are at least complaints about this in the double digits. I'm providing a link to their chat support. https://support.vizio.com/s/LiveChat/ Hope this helps.
Not surprising to hear that the Vizio rep said it's his first time hearing about this issue. We've seen time and time again, the Vizio reps are the last to find out anything about their products.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Like @baniels,

The M does not have as wide a color gamut and it can't get as bright as a P - which AFAIK are the key factors in HDR performance - and it's only got one HDMI input that can handle HDR10, which limits your options. As I posted earlier, I don't give a crap about HDR, and the black bezel/5" more screen diagonal were my deciding factors. I'll jump on the HDR train fully in 5-10 years when the technology has matured and the movies are all dirt cheap. :)
Case in point - there are less than 40 UHD movies available on Vudu, and out of those, there are like 4 I would pay to watch - AGAIN. and from those, only one that was for rent @ $10. the rest were for sale at $30. Yeah, no. And my socks were not immediately or at any point knocked off. HDR is just not happening at the moment.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Do we need to use the HDMI cable that came with the set or does that not matter?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Try that and see if that works for you.
Very weird. I tried that and with unplugging the power (from both the outlet and the TV), holding the power button (letting go both before plugging it back in and after plugging it back in), I could not get the menu to appear on my M65-D0.

However, the menu did come up when I simply powered the TV on as normal and then held the power button. Not sure if all my plugging/unplugging changed anything.

I've now had my Xbox One S playing through HDMI 1 with HDR on in the menu settings for about 25 minutes with no blackouts (before I couldn't go more than 10 minutes without a blackout). So far it seems simply having that menu come up does something.

Thank you very much for the help! Kudos!

741 - 760 of 10324 Posts