AVS Forum banner

7581 - 7600 of 10324 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
why would they lower the zones on the M series and then no low latency ports....Gamers love these sets I just dont get it...I feel like smashing my keyboard when I see stuff like this.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
@MASKOAA
I *think* that Matt mentioned that most gamers opted for the P series anyway, and it was part of their decision making process.
My opinion is that the decision to cut the led zones in half (compared to 2016 series) and other features was to differentiate the new M more from the P series since it now has WCG.
64 zones was great, and probably the difference between that and 128 is not huge. rtings gave M 2016 series local dimming a score of 8.0 and P 2016 a score of 8.5.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Resolution says 1080p
I don't have "VF" field. "Vertical Frequency:" says 30
I'm stumped. I think that it may have something more to do with the Chrome video stream than with Smartcast. Google encourages using a Chromecast dongle for these activities, which as you indicated worked fine. SmartCast is a Chromecast hybrid.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
why would they lower the zones on the M series and then no low latency ports....Gamers love these sets I just dont get it...I feel like smashing my keyboard when I see stuff like this.
I agree with @The Coolest that the 2017 M specs definitely create a more obvious differentiation from the "2017" or 2016 P. The 2016 M was much closer spec wise ( other than WCG ), and made the decision to spend the extra $'s for the P more difficult. My take is that in order to maintain the familiar M price points, and also offer WCG; Vizio had to go with a lower cost, slower, WCG panel with reduced zones, and no low latency port. If budget is a factor, I would get the 2016 M while they are still available. WCG is cool, but it will be years before we'll be watching that type of content on a regular basis. SDR - REC 709 is still the vast majority of what's out there (98%).

·
Registered
40 Posts
I agree with @The Coolest that the 2017 M specs definitely create a more obvious differentiation from the "2017" or 2016 P. The 2016 M was much closer spec wise ( other than WCG ), and made the decision to spend the extra $'s for the P more difficult. My take is that in order to maintain the familiar M price points, and also offer WCG; Vizio had to go with a lower cost, slower, WCG panel with reduced zones, and no low latency port. If budget is a factor, I would get the 2016 M while they are still available. WCG is cool, but it will be years before we'll be watching that type of content on a regular basis. SDR - REC 709 is still the vast majority of what's out there (98%).
Agree, looked at the P as well, it is slightly better... but to me it wasn't worth the price difference from the M70, and I'm not a gamer (which seems to be odd for an 35yr old lol) so the P advantages for that mean nothing to me. I actually almost bought the P and looked at one in store, until I got the M70-D3 refurb at 1k which was too good to pass up, the P still has the edge.... but not enough to warrant the price difference, Vizio absolutely nailed the 2016 Ms.

Plus now I can wait to see what Vizio does next, or others in the 75-80 range in upcoming year or by end of year, if they make a new updated P in 80", oh I'm sooooo down for that. I was really just looking for a tv to hold me over for now so I didn't really want to drop a $3k+ wad on a "hold me over tv"

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Is the 2017 model the one that gets rid of the tablet....I don't like the idea of using a tablet lol.
The SmartCast Mobile app ( iOS and Android ) is what comes installed on the tablet. I use my iPhone and the tablet. They have really improved the interface over the past year, so the initial objections have been addressed. For calibrating, the only way to fly is the use the mobile app. The on-screen menus messed with the meter readings when I tried to use the traditional remote.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm stumped. I think that it may have something more to do with the Chrome video stream than with Smartcast. Google encourages using a Chromecast dongle for these activities, which as you indicated worked fine. SmartCast is a Chromecast hybrid.
It's not just Chrome video stream, but YouTube video have this problem too, and Vizio advertises YouTube functionality on their website and on the box...
Even if it's a hybrid, it's supposed to properly support fullHD videos...

·
Registered
192 Posts
So because the 2016 E series got hdr it seems that getting the 2016 m serious is meaningless because the upgrade is really just a tablet. It seems that Vizio can just call any TV HDR. That might explain why the HDR on these TV's are not UHD alliance certified.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
470 Posts
So because the 2016 E series got hdr it seems that getting the 2016 m serious is meaningless because the upgrade is really just a tablet. It seems that Vizio can just call any TV HDR. That might explain why the HDR on these TV's are not UHD alliance certified.

Eh no lol. E series has terrible local dimming, and just because it can accept an HDR signal does not mean it can take advantage of it. I actually have the first E series they put out last year (e55u-d2) and it was one of the E's that did not get the HDR 10 update and im not upset at all, the TV is just not good enough for HDR.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Well the m series cant really take advantage of it either. The M series doesnt have a wide color gamut and its light output is that of a standard led, not enough for hdr. The only difference that remains is the amount of zones for local dimming. Really the only reason to get a M over an E is the the dimming zones? Seem like the addition of HDR would have been the most significant difference considering all other things seem equal. Now that many of the 2016 E series have HDR as a firmware update it seems HDR on these tv is really insignificant.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Well the m series cant really take advantage of it either. The M series doesnt have a wide color gamut and its light output is that of a standard led, not enough for hdr. The only difference that remains is the amount of zones for local dimming. Really the only reason to get a M over an E is the the dimming zones? Seem like the addition of HDR would have been the most significant difference considering all other things seem equal. Now that many of the 2016 E series have HDR as a firmware update it seems HDR on these tv is really insignificant.

I owned both from last year and kept the E cause of financial reasons (500 bucks vs 1000) and the M was a way better set. Its not only the local dimming is much better but so are the colors, i know the M from last year does not advertise WCG but its on a whole other level than the E series. If you had the M, P and E series all sat next to each other you would have a hard time differentiating the M and P and the E would stick out like a sore thumb.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Ive seen both the E and the M no difference... strange

Might wanna get those eyes checked out :)

E series is a fine entry level set and they have great uniformity with local dimming enabled (main reason i kept mine, aside from cost), but they pale in comparison to an M or P.

·
Registered
53 Posts
1. use @sonoftumble settings and you'll be good.
6. will check it out.
Thanks for the quick reply @wmarkw.

I do recall seeing that TV tuner thru some deals site before I had this TV :). I think I had the same question then, do I have to use the remote from the TV tuner box, or can I simply use a universal remote or use the Vizio remote to change TV tuner channels. I just wasnt clear on that by reading thru the reviews.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts

The "UHD Premium" certification - which is what you are referring to - takes into account a variety of performance specifications that include WCG and HDR. A TV does not have to be WCG in order to do a great job with HDR. Vizio chose not to be part of that alliance because they take issue with some of the measurements that were used to gain certification. The testing criteria at the moment is simply too fuzzy.

To quote Vizio: "The UHDA program does not sufficiently detail how to measure for or specify items like peak brightness or black level and as a result, certifies some products that we don’t believe should qualify for a UHD Premium certification and would ignore other products that should be certified.”

HDR requires some serious processing power from the TV. The 2016 M has that power plus more dimming zones, plus better I/O connections, plus a 120Hz panel. The more zones you have, the better HDR is going to look in terms of detail, contrast and black levels. That's why the P series has around 128. I think you may have a typo when you wrote that the "2016 E series got hdr", because it didn't and never will have it. It doesn't have the processor. The 2017 E obviously has HDR, but with only 12 zones, you will have to deal with all kinds of blooming, loss of detail, and clunky dimming.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
@sonoftumble - thanks for settings, makes a difference.

Did you try the youtube clip at the specific second marks?
I didn't see that post or missed it. Would you mind posting that info again?

Good to hear that the settings worked out for you!

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
@klipsch123
The M series is much brighter than the E series. 300-500nits compared too the 200 max of the E series.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
It's not just Chrome video stream, but YouTube video have this problem too, and Vizio advertises YouTube functionality on their website and on the box...
Even if it's a hybrid, it's supposed to properly support fullHD videos...
I just finished casting all kinds of 1080P 30fps and 60fps samples using the YouTube app on the tablet. All displayed perfectly in full screen. Nothing was squeezed as you described. IMO, there is something different or altered with the signal coming from your PC through the Chrome browser to the TV. The Chromecast dongle may have FW that compensates/adjusts to that signal that Smartcast doesn't have. Otherwise, if your are adamant that there's a bug, you should send an email to Vizio ( [email protected] ).

Or you could stop trying to hack your TV. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
6. Has anyone tried watching this clip from youtube "Football in Ultra HD (2160p 4k)". I see that the animated graphics look cool, but the ball in actual game looks jittery and choppy, specifically at 29, 39, 45 sec marks and such. I feel the effect is very similar to the effects seen in local dimming test on rtings.

@indeo
Please disregard my previous post.

I just looked at the video in question and I didn't see any jittering at all. The ball looked normal and its movement was smooth. My M70 handled the content perfectly. I have my Reduce Judder set to 2, so maybe that's why. But, the video looked great. What firmware version are you running? Hopefully its 3.2.8.3?

7581 - 7600 of 10324 Posts