AVS Forum banner

10101 - 10120 of 10315 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
I have tested this using my Murideo 6A signal analyzer, and the DirecTV 4K box ( 61K ) is now outputting over 13Gb when playing 4K HLG 30Hz content. My LG C7 OLED recognizes the HLG signal and uses my chosen HDR10 picture mode. ( The DirecTV C61 signal looks great BTW ) Obviously that signal would require an HDMI 2.0 port which is HDMI 1 on the M70-D3. HDMI Ports 2-4 are HDMI 1.4 which mean they cannot handle a signal which exceeds 10.2 Gb.

My M70-D3 is in a different room and only has a DirecTV C41, and a Samsung K8500 Blu-ray. Obviously nothing I am playing back with that gear exceeds 10.2Gb, so any of the M70's HDMI 1.4 ports ( 2-4 ) will be more than adequate. Because my LG recognizes the HLG signal, it causes the C61 to crank up the data rates ( EDID ), but I haven't been able to test if this is the case with the M70, so I don't know if plugging in the C61 to the M70's HDMI 1 port would take full advantage of the C61's 4K/HLG output capability or not. The M70 might recognize the HLG signal as HDR10, in which case this would work - or it might not.

If that is the case, I would move the AppleTV 4K to HDMI ports 2-4, set its home screen output to 1080P/HDR/60, and turn on frame rate & dynamic range matching. Content playback from iTunes, Netflix, etc. will output around 9.2Gb ( 4K/HDR/DV/4:2:0 or 4:2:2 @24Hz ) so it doesn't matter if you are plugged into the only HDMI 2.0 spec'd port on the TV, as you do not need to be.

It's worth a try. If I could easily pull my M70 off the wall, and move it back to the family room, I could test this on my end and report back. I'm pretty certain that the M70-D3 will not recognize HLG, so its EDID will cause the C61 to output a 4K SDR signal - which will run just fine on any of the HDMI 2-4 ports.

I would love to know which is what! Would you be willing to mess with the above and let us know? :)
Mine is mounted with wiring channels so it would be a pain but I can tell you on channel 106 both the info banner and my SmartCast phone app both say HLG. The pop I expected is just not there. It is very detailed. Obviously 4K but I’m not sure how HLG differs from HDR.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
As a matter of fact I've seen this as well. In my case it flashes black for a second or two then comes back and I don't think I see it a second time. I believe it does this in 4k mode even if HDR is not enabled since I moved my connection over to port 5 (NO HDR) and saw the same thing.
I ended up turning on full and then forcing the PS4 to output in 1080p. The PS4 sees that I have all options, and the HDR turns on with no other issues, allowing the tv to scale to 2160p. That is the only work around right now.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Mine is mounted with wiring channels so it would be a pain but I can tell you on channel 106 both the info banner and my SmartCast phone app both say HLG. The pop I expected is just not there. It is very detailed. Obviously 4K but I’m not sure how HLG differs from HDR.
That's great news. Frankly I was a little surprised to hear that the 2016 M's would recognize HLG. The main differences between HDR10 and HLG is that the latter more or less follows traditional gamma curves ( no EOTF to deal with ) and there is no tone mapping. This is probably the main reason why you're not seeing the usual HDR "pop". HLG's max nits are 2K. The engineers refuse to go brighter because it will be a decade before every TV is outputting more than that. Also, because there is no tone mapping, a dimmer TV will be dimmer, and vice versa for a brighter TV.

I would probably create a custom picture mode for HLG content, and then increase both the basic color setting and the backlight. I get plenty of pop on my LG OLED, and the mid-range picture luminance is better because there is no EOTF and tone mapping - so things are smoother looking with less obvious specular highlights. Sound like you are seeing about the same thing on the M. :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
I wish there was a way to change the low/mid/high point of the auto brightness setting. Even on High setting, the screen never gets as bright as I would like for the amount of ambient light in the room and I often have to change back to calibrated during the middle of the day. In mornings and evenings, enabling the auto brightness is better as it follows the dusk light pretty well.

Maybe Vizio could just add a feature to have the picture setting change based on a timer?

If anyone knows a way to adjust the function of auto brightness (some advanced setting or service setting) please let me know.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
As a matter of fact I've seen this as well. In my case it flashes black for a second or two then comes back and I don't think I see it a second time. I believe it does this in 4k mode even if HDR is not enabled since I moved my connection over to port 5 (NO HDR) and saw the same thing.
Had you tried what I did on the other reply to you with the PS4? Was debating getting a HDMI switch to have everything go to HDMI 1, but don't want to waste money if it doesn't work correctly.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Had you tried what I did on the other reply to you with the PS4? Was debating getting a HDMI switch to have everything go to HDMI 1, but don't want to waste money if it doesn't work correctly.

I've actually recently moved and my PS4 is now sitting on a Samsung TV. No flickering happening on this set.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I've actually recently moved and my PS4 is now sitting on a Samsung TV. No flickering happening on this set.
Thanks for the reply. I think it is worth contacting Vizio then, unless others have tried something different.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
@Noydcom

Some of us Vizio owners live outside of the Americas.
My display has been through several firmware updates, and SmartCast does not work anymore. The only way to get it working is to connect the TV through a VPN. Normally what happens is SmartCast starts to load and then goes to the ChromeCast slideshow screen.

In early versions of the SmartCast interface, all I had to do was connect it through VPN once and then it would work consistently until the next update, but it doesn't seem to work that way anymore.
I understand that Vizio is targeting N.American markets, but not being able to use SmartCast at all is completely ridiculous. Casting still works, so that's fine, but you can't cast Amazon, and that is what I'm missing very much at this point.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Has anyone had any issues connecting a Roku? I keep getting HDCP errors on both the Streaming Stick+ and Streaming Stick. Not even attempting to run 4K.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
@VizioService

@Noydcom

Some of us Vizio owners live outside of the Americas.
My display has been through several firmware updates, and SmartCast does not work anymore. The only way to get it working is to connect the TV through a VPN. Normally what happens is SmartCast starts to load and then goes to the ChromeCast slideshow screen.
In early versions of the SmartCast interface, all I had to do was connect it through VPN once and then it would work consistently until the next update, but it doesn't seem to work that way anymore.
I understand that Vizio is targeting N.American markets, but not being able to use SmartCast at all is completely ridiculous. Casting still works, so that's fine, but you can't cast Amazon, and that is what I'm missing very much at this point.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Good evening, been looking over the vizio sub Reddit , couldn't find anything on watchfree but is there a "guide UI" on watchfree channel ..if so how do reach it on remote... And any info on upcoming firmware to be released? Is it official that Amazon app is not getting HDR?....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good evening, been looking over the vizio sub Reddit , couldn't find anything on watchfree but is there a "guide UI" on watchfree channel ..if so how do reach it on remote... And any info on upcoming firmware to be released? Is it official that Amazon app is not getting HDR?....
I think it's left on the "touch pad".

·
Registered
12 Posts
Has anyone come across this or have any suggestions?

My M65-D0 has been randomly freezing and rebooting. It does it across all inputs, HDMI 1 has our cable box, HDMI 2 has a FireTV, and Cast.

It will freeze with lines like this:

The look of it depends on what was on the screen at the time. It freezes like that for a minute or so, but the audio will continue. Then it reboots.

It sometimes will go days without doing it, or sometimes it will do it multiple times in an hour.

A little background, it was working fine for a little over a year, when half the screen went dark. Since it was bought at Costco, they serviced under warranty it by replacing the boards and it was working good until about 3 months ago when it started with this rebooting issue.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Has anyone had any issues connecting a Roku? I keep getting HDCP errors on both the Streaming Stick+ and Streaming Stick. Not even attempting to run 4K.
Same here. I was using the HDMI port on the side because the darn stick doesnt fit in the rear ports. Had to go back to the old Roku we had.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Should we be able to watch HDR videos from the YouTube app on the m65-d0 through smartcast? I might be mistaken, but I thought I was able to do this in the past.

·
Registered
354 Posts
hi All, how off are the last calibration settings we have with the latest update? I havent used the tv in awhile because Ive been busy, but should hopefully start again very soon.
Is it close enough? or very bad? thanks

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have a m65D0 and last update made image a bit off with white balance and colors too... I've been hoping for new calibrations. Also asked Reddit about Amazon HDR and if Dolby vision profile will be updated on this monitor... Mum is the word.. @sonoftumble was helpful in giving a starting point.. hope he will post something on all SDR, DV and or HDR10 calibrations for this current 4.1.2.3 firmware... But not sure if he has had time..also I hope to receive another update soon..

·
Registered
354 Posts
Has vizio even pushed an update since the last one in January? The m65-d0 hasn't had once since, any word on the 2017 or 2018 models?
I have a m65D0 and last update made image a bit off with white balance and colors too... I've been hoping for new calibrations. Also asked Reddit about Amazon HDR and if Dolby vision profile will be updated on this monitor... Mum is the word.. @sonoftumble was helpful in giving a starting point.. hope he will post something on all SDR, DV and or HDR10 calibrations for this current 4.1.2.3 firmware... But not sure if he has had time..also I hope to receive another update soon..
yeah and this point, call me crazy, but I would prefer no more updates and just a good calibrated set. Obviously @sonoftumble cant always keep calibrating it eternally with ongoing updates.

For the version, I have to check where I am at, last I checked in June, it was on 4.0.23.2, ill try to check tonight.

Also side note question, do LG oled tv's also get on going updates that can alter the PQ? where calibration changes need to be made?

10101 - 10120 of 10315 Posts