AVS Forum banner

10261 - 10280 of 10325 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
HDMI Settings not showing (eg. UHD HDR or other 4k settings) to enable 4:4:4 RGB

i hooked up my PC /w GTX 1070 via HDMI 2.0 cable , and 4k 60hz works fine HOWEVER i'm unable to select 4:4:4 RGB mode in my Nvidia display settings (in windows). It's stuck to YCbCr420 . I understand in THIS screen, I should be able to see more options to change HDMI 4k settings.

This is very weird, because with the same cable, same PC , i CAN get 4:4:4 if i hook it up to a cheap RCA 4k TV.

Why is this?

Thanks,

·
Registered
995 Posts
I realize this is a 5 month old post, but wanted to echo this problem with my M70-D3's. I had the same shadowy areas (photo attached) show up, which I assume are LED zone failures. Luckily when I first noticed this back in October 2018, I was still within the extended Costco warranty period, and Vizio quickly sent me a replacement set. Now the problems start to escalate. While the picture on the new set was good, the protective film around the bezel left a sticky residue when removed, of which some was actually on the screen. Nothing would remove this residue, and Vizio essentially told me I was SOL and they would not send another replacement for that. 4 months later the same LED zone failures happened with that set, and of course the replacement set only came with a 30 or 90 day warranty (can't remember which).

Last week I decided enough was enough, and I had to replace the set. I had originally started looking at the Vizio 75PQX model at Costco, as I had been reading good things about it. But I had read the same things about the M70 back in 2016 when I purchased that one, and decided that Vizio has lost my business because of the crap sets I received and their refusal to make it right. I decided to get the Sony XBR 75-950G, and I must say that watching Guardians of the Galaxy 2 in 4K HDR last night was the finest picture experience I have ever had in all the years of my HT hobby. Breathtaking would not be an over-exaggeration.
This seems to be an ongoing problem with this Vizio model. I have read that there is a possible class action lawsuit being discussed or considered. Anyone else who has this issue with a Vizio needs to post here. Mine is upper right quadrant much darker that rest of screen on M70-D3. I paid a lot of money for this set and feel ripped off. Mine occurred 2 months past 2cd year.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi All-
It's been a while, no issues on this end, but recently I've had an issue where the CEC won't turn off the TV, our Apple 4KTV will turn the TV on, the Sony receiver turns on, but the apple remote won't turn the tv off? it turns everything else off fine, I just can't seem to figure out why it won't turn the TV off now suddenly. Any help is appreciated, if there's still anyone out there??!?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I need help troubleshooting. TV turns on immediately when plugged in, gets to the Vizio splash screen, then shuts off, and the cycle repeats continuously until unplugged. I've been unable to even perform a hard-reset, since it turns on immediately; if anyone can help with that, I'd like to try that first. I left it unplugged for a few days and pressed the power button on the back of the TV for over a minute, but nothing changed. If it's a hardware failure, I'm personally leaning toward the power supply board, but I'm wondering if it's not the main board. Has anyone run into this before?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I need help troubleshooting. TV turns on immediately when plugged in, gets to the Vizio splash screen, then shuts off, and the cycle repeats continuously until unplugged. I've been unable to even perform a hard-reset, since it turns on immediately; if anyone can help with that, I'd like to try that first. I left it unplugged for a few days and pressed the power button on the back of the TV for over a minute, but nothing changed. If it's a hardware failure, I'm personally leaning toward the power supply board, but I'm wondering if it's not the main board. Has anyone run into this before?

Sorry for your problems, but this TV is pretty much a crap shoot. And there is not much activity on this board now in the way of support. Maybe try the Vizio Reddit group? I have two of these, M70-D3, that were both purchased in Oct 2016. One gets limited use and so far seems to be OK but it has a tendency to come on for no good reason, usually in the middle of the night. I finally gave up on it and just set it to auto shut off in 15 minutes, so at least is cuts itself off. I had to disconnect all CEC and ARC functions, otherwise it would activate the AVR and then it would never turn off.

The other one gets almost daily use. It has never had the problem of coming on at night but periodically the picture will go black for several seconds, and I have audio only. It is either the HDMI cable or the HDMI input on the display. I can't easily change the cable as it is an in wall installation and besides it is a top of the line Monoprice, same as the other display uses. It also has developed a large area of dead zones in Local Area Dimming. But oddly on some occasions, it will either start up and be ok or will improve as the display warms up. So the zones are working, just not most of the time.

I am going to dump it soon, but hold on to the second one that is working OK for now. I have owned a lot of Vizio displays and always thought I got a big bang for my buck, but I think I will pass on them in the future. Either Samsung or TCL will probably be my replacement.

Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry for your problems, but this TV is pretty much a crap shoot. And there is not much activity on this board now in the way of support. Maybe try the Vizio Reddit group? I have two of these, M70-D3, that were both purchased in Oct 2016. One gets limited use and so far seems to be OK but it has a tendency to come on for no good reason, usually in the middle of the night. I finally gave up on it and just set it to auto shut off in 15 minutes, so at least is cuts itself off. I had to disconnect all CEC and ARC functions, otherwise it would activate the AVR and then it would never turn off.

The other one gets almost daily use. It has never had the problem of coming on at night but periodically the picture will go black for several seconds, and I have audio only. It is either the HDMI cable or the HDMI input on the display. I can't easily change the cable as it is an in wall installation and besides it is a top of the line Monoprice, same as the other display uses. It also has developed a large area of dead zones in Local Area Dimming. But oddly on some occasions, it will either start up and be ok or will improve as the display warms up. So the zones are working, just not most of the time.

I am going to dump it soon, but hold on to the second one that is working OK for now. I have owned a lot of Vizio displays and always thought I got a big bang for my buck, but I think I will pass on them in the future. Either Samsung or TCL will probably be my replacement.

Good luck.
I appreciate it. Nothing is even plugged in; I only use it for streaming. I'll check out the Reddit group.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just throwing this up here. I am currently in the process of getting my panel (purchased at Costco 3 years ago) replaced via Squaretrade. It developed a dark area on the bottom left hand side which seems to be getting worse.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
This seems to be an ongoing problem with this Vizio model. I have read that there is a possible class action lawsuit being discussed or considered. Anyone else who has this issue with a Vizio needs to post here. Mine is upper right quadrant much darker that rest of screen on M70-D3. I paid a lot of money for this set and feel ripped off. Mine occurred 2 months past 2cd year.
I am having the same issue with mine. I thought this was a great deal at the time and have enjoyed using the TV. But now I have 2 dark (shaded) looking areas on the screen. They are not always noticeable, but very noticeable when the screen is mostly a solid, light color. Very disappointed now and will probably not purchase Vizio in the future.

Attachments

·
Registered
995 Posts
Those with the Vizio problems should report it to Vizio via Twitter @vizioSupport and to their traditional customer service. I have found that Twitter response is very receptive to issues.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I have two sections where the backlight is failing. Purchased in 10/16. I have two of these and one gets daily use, the other once or twice a week for a few hours at a time. Probably why only one is failing. Way out of warranty so not much I can do about it. No reason for this to happen and I am sure it is a bad batch or components. Probably sourced the backlight control board or the lights themselves from one vendor and there is a problem with the component quality. Vizio is not going to do anything about it at this point. But if anyone gets something done with an out of warranty display, for sure let us know.

I am replacing mine with an 82" Samsung I am getting from Costco. It comes with a 5 year warranty and using my Costco Visa I am getting an additional 2 years, so I am covered for 7 years. I hope it craps out in the 6-7 year range I can get a new one! ha ha. Less then $2500 for the 7 series. I paid $1750 for the M70-D3 in October 2016.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just throwing this up here. I am currently in the process of getting my panel (purchased at Costco 3 years ago) replaced via Squaretrade. It developed a dark area on the bottom left hand side which seems to be getting worse.
Having the same issues and getting a replacement via Squaretrade. What TV options did they offer you? This is what they offered, but they are all much cheaper than what I spent on it originally

Attachments

·
Registered
467 Posts
Does anyone know of any list or graphic showing the capabilities of streaming services via smartcast?

I'm mostly wondering if youtube supports 4k, hdr, and dolby atmos via smartcast. I'm trying to test my atmos setup but ATV doesn't provide atmos support for youtube....

It would be nice if there was a comprehensive list/table somewhere....

Service Resolution Dynamic R Audio
Netflix 4k HDR/DV Atmos
Amazon Prime ? ? ?
Fandango ? ? ?
Vudu ? ? ?
Hulu ? ? ?
Youtube ? ? ?
Youtube tv ? ? ?
Google Play ? ? ?
Movies Anywhere ? ? ?
Disney+ ? ? ?

Maybe people can help fill in the gaps??

·
Registered
467 Posts
Hi All-
It's been a while, no issues on this end, but recently I've had an issue where the CEC won't turn off the TV, our Apple 4KTV will turn the TV on, the Sony receiver turns on, but the apple remote won't turn the tv off? it turns everything else off fine, I just can't seem to figure out why it won't turn the TV off now suddenly. Any help is appreciated, if there's still anyone out there??!?
Yeah, I'm having the same issue. I use the ATV remote to put it in sleep mode and the onkyo receiver turns off. It looks like the display turns off as well, but turns out the screen just goes black... minutes later the white text appears on the black screen....

·
Registered
898 Posts
I realize this is a 5 month old post, but wanted to echo this problem with my M70-D3's. I had the same shadowy areas (photo attached) show up, which I assume are LED zone failures. Luckily when I first noticed this back in October 2018, I was still within the extended Costco warranty period, and Vizio quickly sent me a replacement set. Now the problems start to escalate. While the picture on the new set was good, the protective film around the bezel left a sticky residue when removed, of which some was actually on the screen. Nothing would remove this residue, and Vizio essentially told me I was SOL and they would not send another replacement for that. 4 months later the same LED zone failures happened with that set, and of course the replacement set only came with a 30 or 90 day warranty (can't remember which).

Last week I decided enough was enough, and I had to replace the set. I had originally started looking at the Vizio 75PQX model at Costco, as I had been reading good things about it. But I had read the same things about the M70 back in 2016 when I purchased that one, and decided that Vizio has lost my business because of the crap sets I received and their refusal to make it right. I decided to get the Sony XBR 75-950G, and I must say that watching Guardians of the Galaxy 2 in 4K HDR last night was the finest picture experience I have ever had in all the years of my HT hobby. Breathtaking would not be an over-exaggeration.
I have been noticing my M70-D3 doing this too. It's about 4 years old but still under Squaretrade so I will be contacting them. Hopefully by now they don't have any replacements and will do the same as they did for me in 2013 with my old E701i vizio that had the white spot problem & pay me full purchase price for the tv. If so, I'm done with Vizio too. I grabbed a quick picture during a commercial which shows it upper right (see below). It does look worse on a solid whits screen which I will take time & get a shot all white for squaretrade. I really liked this set but oh well....

Attachments

·
Registered
467 Posts
Yeah, I had one with that same issue within warranty... vizio sent out a replacement model that I didn’t test properly.... I noticed some problems with the new one awhile later but waited too long to call it in.... warranty expired and now I’m stuck with a failing backlight also.... their customer service really blows!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Anyone else got the latest firmware update (9.0.5.2) and noticed an increase in input lag? My tv (M50-D1) received it sometime last week and Rocket League is now almost unplayable on the the tv thanks to the increase in input lag.

Is there a link anywhere to older firmware versions so that the tv can be rolled back to them via usb? If there is then I might consider rolling it back to a way early version when the input lag was actually half way decent on the set and just use my Xbox One X to stream everything.

Here's a discussion from reddit about the 9.0.5.2 firmware increasing the input lag to 100 ms on a 2017 M series.

https://www.reddit.com/r/VIZIO_Official/comments/ely30x/9052_has_drastically_increased_input_lag_on_2017/

·
Registered
19 Posts
Count me among those who are having the backlight issue on the M70-D3. It's dimming now at a fast rate so going to have to replace only after 2 year, 2 months. Never will I purchase from Vizio again.

This photo was taken a few weeks ago. Anyone know what to do with a 70" POS TV? I hate trying to sell something I know will only get worse.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have been noticing my M70-D3 doing this too. It's about 4 years old but still under Squaretrade so I will be contacting them. Hopefully by now they don't have any replacements and will do the same as they did for me in 2013 with my old E701i vizio that had the white spot problem & pay me full purchase price for the tv. If so, I'm done with Vizio too. I grabbed a quick picture during a commercial which shows it upper right (see below). It does look worse on a solid whits screen which I will take time & get a shot all white for squaretrade. I really liked this set but oh well....
FWIW i went through several rounds of declining the TVs squaretrade was trying to offer me as they came with only like 2-3 HDMI inputs, where I was using all 5 on my M70-D3.

They were offering the current M series 65", which is like a $650 set and the 70" version which is $900, and neither had not enough HDMI inputs which was the dealbreaker for me (and they said they could not just cut me a check for the price of the TV like others have had success with in the past).

I finally got a 75" P-series Quantum P759-G1 through Squaretrade which was satisfactory --- just hope if the zones dim out on me again that it's still within the remainder of the ST warranty.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I always get an alert for this thread and its unfortunate to see how some of you are having this issue. Now I'm starting to notice the same dim/fading quadrant in the upper left panel on my M70. It's gotten worse the last few months and i know i never had a noticeable black square as my pannel has been great. I really like this tv and have had zero issues in almost 4 years of ownership. Thankfully my SQ warranty is still active and I just did a chat with a rep. I tried filling out an online claim form and for whatever reason it denied me and said my plan doesnt cover accidents. Pretty sure i filled it out correctly. Of course she can't help me as I'm not near my tv. But she said to call. Are they gonna walk me through the usual BS of unplugging and resetting the display? Just curious for those that have gone the SQ and had success what type of questions will they throw at me? Did they send a tech out to see if he can replicate the issue? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Well that was painless. Submitted the pictures of the display showing my issue and they approved my claim. I denied their first replacement offering and now they sent me a P759G1. A nice upgrade i think. Though if i was buying brand new today I would probably opt for a PX or something other than a vizio. For those who have dealt with SQ do you think this is the best i'm going to get or could i request something else? Considering i had maybe 5 months left on a 4 year SQ warranty i feel pretty lucky i got offered a nice set.

10261 - 10280 of 10325 Posts