AVS Forum banner

10281 - 10300 of 10325 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Well that was painless. Submitted the pictures of the display showing my issue and they approved my claim. I denied their first replacement offering and now they sent me a P759G1. A nice upgrade i think. Though if i was buying brand new today I would probably opt for a PX or something other than a vizio. For those who have dealt with SQ do you think this is the best i'm going to get or could i request something else? Considering i had maybe 5 months left on a 4 year SQ warranty i feel pretty lucky i got offered a nice set.
My broken VIZIO is only 21 months old. Do they send someone out to look at TV and evaluate it or is this done remotely through your internet connection?

·
Registered
403 Posts
My broken VIZIO is only 21 months old. Do they send someone out to look at TV and evaluate it or is this done remotely through your internet connection?

depends, never through some remote access with a TV though. They sent a tech to my house when my M60 died.

They tried to lowball me with replacement, but in reality most don't care so they just do what's financial.

In the end to match my set I ended up with a M65.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
They said since the TV was old it would be a waste of time to send a tech to review and/or fix with parts. The SQ tv tech that i talked to thought that most issues could be solved by unplugging the tv and then holding the side power button for 45 seconds to clear the cache. So we did that dance and yeah still had the black quadrant. So I had to send in a few pictures to show the issue for their tv team to review. The next morning i got an email saying i would be receiving a replacement tv and to be on the look out for that email. I got it later that day and it was a 2018 Samsung tv that can be had at walmart for $598. Really crappy one. The SQ rep even said they have no control over the first offering so he said if it wasnt satisfactory to call back and decline. I did that Saturday morning and then tomorrow I got another option and it was the P759-G1. I thought that was a pretty good offering and will keep me satisfied until the 2020+ tech/2.1HDMI, 8k; etc sorts it self out for a few years. So yes very pleased and glad I spent the $89 to get 4 years coverage.

·
Registered
403 Posts
They said since the TV was old it would be a waste of time to send a tech to review and/or fix with parts. The SQ tv tech that i talked to thought that most issues could be solved by unplugging the tv and then holding the side power button for 45 seconds to clear the cache. So we did that dance and yeah still had the black quadrant. So I had to send in a few pictures to show the issue for their tv team to review. The next morning i got an email saying i would be receiving a replacement tv and to be on the look out for that email. I got it later that day and it was a 2018 Samsung tv that can be had at walmart for $598. Really crappy one. The SQ rep even said they have no control over the first offering so he said if it wasnt satisfactory to call back and decline. I did that Saturday morning and then tomorrow I got another option and it was the P759-G1. I thought that was a pretty good offering and will keep me satisfied until the 2020+ tech/2.1HDMI, 8k; etc sorts it self out for a few years. So yes very pleased and glad I spent the $89 to get 4 years coverage.

This is typical for all warranty services. City Furniture recently offered me a $10 in store credit off the bat when my dining table came unusable. Then raised it to $100, but I needed a new table not money.

That said the replacement table now doesn't close and has damage so I will be going through this again. :(

·
Registered
834 Posts
having the same dimming issues that i've seen in in recent photos from this thread. m70-d3, bought in october 2016. i didnt get the extended warranty so i guess im just screwed. what a joke. a $1750 TV should last longer than 3 years. when i started my search for a new TV in 2016 i went in thinking vizio was a cheap crap brand.... well the reviews on this TV were all outstanding and the price was very good for the features it offered. I guess it's not possible to review longevity. until i noticed the dim areas, I was happy with the TV. Never again will i be purchasing a vizio.

·
Registered
486 Posts
having the same dimming issues that i've seen in in recent photos from this thread. m70-d3, bought in october 2016. i didnt get the extended warranty so i guess im just screwed. what a joke. a $1750 TV should last longer than 3 years. when i started my search for a new TV in 2016 i went in thinking vizio was a cheap crap brand.... well the reviews on this TV were all outstanding and the price was very good for the features it offered. I guess it's not possible to review longevity. until i noticed the dim areas, I was happy with the TV. Never again will i be purchasing a vizio.
FWIW, my 55" tcl just died. Luckily, I purchased the asurion protection at the time. They offered me some ****ty replacements, which I declined. They refunded me the entire purchase price of my tv... which I then used to buy a new projector.... That tv was in a guest room that no one was using so no harm done....

Point being that the low end tcl model I bought around the same time (55s405?) also sucked haha.

·
Registered
486 Posts
FWIW, my 55" tcl just died. Luckily, I purchased the asurion protection at the time. They offered me some ****ty replacements, which I declined. They refunded me the entire purchase price of my tv... which I then used to buy a new projector.... That tv was in a guest room that no one was using so no harm done....

Point being that the low end tcl model I bought around the same time (55s405?) also sucked haha.
I don't know if it's worth noting that my m70 with a failing backlight and my tcl were both purchased open box. The m75 I bought new from costco is still going strong (and has a "super duper" extended warranty). I couldn't get any picture (only sound) from my tcl. I'm disappointed that my m70 is failing but I only notice it against a white screen, and it's still very serviceable for gaming and movies... or at least that's what I'm telling myself haha

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Bought my m70-d3 at Costco in October 2016 for $1750 just like you and it crapped out in November 2019 LED backlight started to fail in two broad areas. Very noticeable in sports, like football and golf. In fact I have two m70-d3's that I bought the same day. One gets only occasional use and is still working. The other was a nightly TV and it failed. I think the remaining one will eventually meet the same fate. I have owned multiple Vizio and Samsung products and the Vizio's are not holding up. I don't think I would buy another one, regardless of the level.

I replaced the Vizio with a 82" 7 series Samsung from Costco, with a 7 year warranty (5 from Samsung and 2 extra from Costco) for $2499. Much better picture, brighter and better viewing angles and the comfort of the 7 year warranty. Haven't missed Dolby Vision yet. Hope it craps out at 6 1/2 years!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I need help troubleshooting. TV turns on immediately when plugged in, gets to the Vizio splash screen, then shuts off, and the cycle repeats continuously until unplugged. I've been unable to even perform a hard-reset, since it turns on immediately; if anyone can help with that, I'd like to try that first. I left it unplugged for a few days and pressed the power button on the back of the TV for over a minute, but nothing changed. If it's a hardware failure, I'm personally leaning toward the power supply board, but I'm wondering if it's not the main board. Has anyone run into this before?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

@btstarcher, sorry to hear about your issue.

I was checking the forum for a new Sony x950g and found this thread for my recently died M60.

I had the exact same problem you had. Immediately prior to this reboot cycle, my partner was watching a show and then the picture froze with purple and green horizontal lines on the screen. Afterwards the endless reboot cycle happened. About a month prior I noticed that during watching, there would be random halfway across the screen black lines that would appear quickly and then go away.

I bought mine at Costco (Canada) in Feb 2016 and got the extended warranty thankfully. I called in and did the 30-45 holding the button troubleshooting - which didn't work. A tech came out and collected the TV, did some troubleshooting over the next week and then after that I got an email from Asurion (extended warranty provider) saying they were unable to fix the TV (not sure exactly why - maybe uneconomical?) and that they were sending a cheque for the TV purchase price plus taxes.

So now I am looking for a new TV after getting to use my old TV for 3 years for "free". I've found out that this is the new year TV release period of the year so I may just wait another month till the new stuff hits.

·
Registered
102 Posts
hello everybody been awhile, so with Disney plus being allowed to used today on smartcast I've been patiently awaiting to view dolby vision starwars...unfortunately it's come to my attention that only hdr 10 is working? I'm asking all of you to see if by any chance you have Disney plus and show dolby vision on your screen. this is also happened on VUDU where now I can no longer get Dolby vision unless I actually cast it from my phone I'm not sure if this is an issue that's just my TV or is everyone having to deal with it just wanted to see what your thoughts are on that I know with the upcoming smartcast 4.0 and progress I'm hoping all of these little quirks get fixed but just seeing if it's just my TV and or something I need to contact customer service for

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am having the same issue with mine. I thought this was a great deal at the time and have enjoyed using the TV. But now I have 2 dark (shaded) looking areas on the screen. They are not always noticeable, but very noticeable when the screen is mostly a solid, light color. Very disappointed now and will probably not purchase Vizio in the future.

Mine looks very similar to your screen shot. It may be getting worse, I can't tell, but it's noticeable. I'm going to dig out my Square Trade and see what they can do.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Count me among those who are having the backlight issue on the M70-D3. It's dimming now at a fast rate so going to have to replace only after 2 year, 2 months. Never will I purchase from Vizio again.

This photo was taken a few weeks ago. Anyone know what to do with a 70" POS TV? I hate trying to sell something I know will only get worse.
disassemble the tv with a regular and small phillips screw driver, once you have sucessfully done that without breaking the glass panel look and see how many of these $16 led strips have failed... https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vizio-M70-D3-LED-Strip-B-Type-REV02-2016-03-30/323602996829?hash=item4b583dde5d:g:NgsAAOSwPoZaxmLF order replacements and replace.. then reassemble the tv and then the most important step is to never turn the backlighting setting on the tv all the way up again by using modes like sports or vivid which will cause this to happen all over again. Most cheaper led tv now have a 3000hr life expectancy when the backlighing is at max brightness and unfortunatly most of the tv come set this way from the factory. I prefer to find a complete new set of led strips from ebay or shopjimmy and do them all at once to essentially double the life of the tv without having another strip fail 6 month later.

Ive repaired about a dozen of these 60 and 70" vizios and at least 2 dozen of the 42 and 47" versions with the LG led strips this way now. LED and failed buffer chips on the side of the sharp made lcd panels making half the screen go dim then the whole picture being lost taking out the tcon boards are the most common failures. Both can be repaired and I have 4 of these vizios hanging in my bar that failed this way before I repaired them. Most led tv are wired like christmas lights so when one led shorts open the tv goes black... You should be glad this tv isnt wired the way most are and you still have a picture at all. samsung tv have less led failures out of all the tvs ive repaired (at least a couple hundred tvs by now) most vizios are built using LG components and the larger tvs use a mix of sharp panels and tcons with varios led setups but the edgelit led tv are far superior for lifespan. that said the newer the cheaper tv the shorter the lifespan and Ive seen some of the super cheap sets like the TCL sets that are even assembled with a hot glue gun to try to prevent repair.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Count me among those who are having the backlight issue on the M70-D3. It's dimming now at a fast rate so going to have to replace only after 2 year, 2 months. Never will I purchase from Vizio again.

This photo was taken a few weeks ago. Anyone know what to do with a 70" POS TV? I hate trying to sell something I know will only get worse.
disassemble the tv with a regular and small phillips screw driver, once you have sucessfully done that without breaking the glass panel look and see how many of these $16 led strips have failed... https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vizio-M70-D3-LED-Strip-B-Type-REV02-2016-03-30/323602996829?hash=item4b583dde5d:g:NgsAAOSwPoZaxmLF order replacements and replace.. then reassemble the tv and then the most important step is to never turn the backlighting setting on the tv all the way up again by using modes like sports or vivid which will cause this to happen all over again. Most cheaper led tv now have a 3000hr life expectancy when the backlighing is at max brightness and unfortunatly most of the tv come set this way from the factory. I prefer to find a complete new set of led strips from ebay or shopjimmy and do them all at once to essentially double the life of the tv without having another strip fail 6 month later.

Ive repaired about a dozen of these 60 and 70" vizios and at least 2 dozen of the 42 and 47" versions with the LG led strips this way now. LED and failed buffer chips on the side of the sharp made lcd panels making half the screen go dim then the whole picture being lost taking out the tcon boards are the most common failures. Both can be repaired and I have 4 of these vizios hanging in my bar that failed this way before I repaired them. Most led tv are wired like christmas lights so when one led shorts open the tv goes black... You should be glad this tv isnt wired the way most are and you still have a picture at all. samsung tv have less led failures out of all the tvs ive repaired (at least a couple hundred tvs by now) most vizios are built using LG components and the larger tvs use a mix of sharp panels and tcons with varios led setups but the edgelit led tv are far superior for lifespan. that said the newer the cheaper tv the shorter the lifespan and Ive seen some of the super cheap sets like the TCL sets that are even assembled with a hot glue gun to try to prevent repair.
Thanks for sharing this useful info with us!! Looks like the tv has 16 of these... I’m going to wait til they’re all back in stock at shop jimmy and just replace them all for $110!

Attachments

Reactions: augiedoggy

·
Registered
834 Posts

thanks for the info and advice.... unfortunately if its like this video,
then this type of repair is out of my comfort range... though obviously if the dim spots make the TV unwatchable then what do i have to lose... not at that point yet

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
thanks for the info and advice.... unfortunately if its like this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VP7iNYFAgIA then this type of repair is out of my comfort range... though obviously if the dim spots make the TV unwatchable then what do i have to lose... not at that point yet
Yeah it may be a lot of steps to follow for some, there are a lot of people that will tackle something like this for around $40 labor.. at least thats what I usually charge.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello everyone. Sadly, My Vizio M65 D0 only power on and then after the vizio logo , the message something went wrong appear. Then, after the message, only appears random backgrounds. The only working function on the remote control and the tv is the power button. No volume, no menu, nothing.:(... trying disconnect the power, then the soft cycle, nothing.... please help!

Attachments

·
Registered
192 Posts
about the m70 d3 being tuner free. I am giving the TV to my parents. They watch over the air TV only, no cable, but they do streaming youtube, vudu, Netflix. But they need their over the Air TV.

They use a digital converter Box that was required a few years ago for digital signals. It connects via coaxial. Will this be enough to get over the air TV on the vizio?

if not what do I need to buy to get them over the air TV ? Preferably from Best buy so I can pick it up today.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
486 Posts
about the m70 d3 being tuner free. I am giving the TV to my parents. They watch over the air TV only, no cable, but they do streaming youtube, vudu, Netflix. But they need their over the Air TV.

They use a digital converter Box that was required a few years ago for digital signals. It connects via coaxial. Will this be enough to get over the air TV on the vizio?

if not what do I need to buy to get them over the air TV ? Preferably from Best buy so I can pick it up today.

Thanks

I use a digital converter box, TiVo, and the Xbox tuner on my vizios... the converter box will work if it has an hdmi/component output. Otherwise, they’ll need a new digital converter box.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I use a digital converter box, TiVo, and the Xbox tuner on my vizios... the converter box will work if it has an hdmi/component output. Otherwise, they’ll need a new digital converter box.

got it thx, guess i need to buy one tomorrow. I didn’t know x box had a tv tuner.. thx

·
Registered
486 Posts
I use a digital converter box, TiVo, and the Xbox tuner on my vizios... the converter box will work if it has an hdmi/component output. Otherwise, they’️ll need a new digital converter box.

got it thx, guess i need to buy one tomorrow. I didn’️t know x box had a tv tuner.. thx

Yeah, you can add the hauppauge to the USB port....

10281 - 10300 of 10325 Posts