AVS Forum banner

1881 - 1900 of 10315 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
It's funny - I actually sent an email to Vizio support the other day (before I realized that this is pretty much an issue with all larger VA LCD panels when viewing at an angle (the "vertical banding while panning" issue) - this was their "solution" to the problem:

I apologize to hear you are having difficulties with your VIZIO TV.  Here at VIZIO we offer best in class technical support.  I would recommend performing a power cycle on your TV. Please follow the steps in this order:

1- Power off the TV
2- Unplug the TV from the outlet
3- Press and hold in the power button on the TV for 30 seconds (while it is unplugged from the wall)
4- Release the power button
5- Plug in the TV
6- Power the TV back on

Thanks and have a great day!​

I really like the "Here at VIZIO we offer best in class technical support." line, while at the same time providing that "solution" to the "banding while panning" issue. :)

Gotta love level 1 tech support!

And I agree - watching "Martian" is awesome on a 70" FALD TV!!! Very, very cool. And that was just via regular cable! I can only imagine what it's like in 4k UHD!!!

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk

·
Registered
399 Posts
In contrast, if they would have said "that's the way it is so just deal with it", it would rub many people the wrong way. Your problem isn't a really a technical problem, it's just the nature of the beast.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hey all - looking into getting the M55-D0 and the only thing that gives me pause is the fact that it's 60hz. I will be using it to watch DVD, blu-ray and streaming movies/content exclusively.

With that content, will the 60hz be sufficient for judder-free viewing?

I'll be using a Sony BDP S6500 streaming blu-ray player which I understand upscales content very nicely, so that's not a concern. Just worried about judder or any other anomalies with a 60hz panel. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
996 Posts
In contrast, if they would have said "that's the way it is so just deal with it", it would rub many people the wrong way. Your problem isn't a really a technical problem, it's just the nature of the beast.
I don't know - personally, I'd prefer a professional, but *honest* answer. To have me waste time going through a procedure (which also erases all of my settings, etc) that will NOT help the issue seems rather useless. I'd rather them just say something like what you said - "this issue is not a defect - it's just the way that these panels work when viewed from extended angles" - or something along those lines. Don't have me do things that cannot solve the issue just to "passify" me. :)

I guess it's kind of like computer tech support - they always have you "reboot" before going any further. :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hey all - looking into getting the M55-D0 and the only thing that gives me pause is the fact that it's 60hz. I will be using it to watch DVD, blu-ray and streaming movies/content exclusively.

With that content, will the 60hz be sufficient for judder-free viewing?

I'll be using a Sony BDP S6500 streaming blu-ray player which I understand upscales content very nicely, so that's not a concern. Just worried about judder or any other anomalies with a 60hz panel. Thanks in advance!
I have the m55d0 and have not noticed any judder issues on cable/dvd/bluray/streaming so far

·
Registered
33 Posts
Maybe this is a dumb question. How do you get multiple HDR sources to work with just the one HDR HDMI port(HDMI 1) on the M65?

I have the XBox One S and the PS4 now has HDR enabled.

I currently have the Xbox One S on HDMI 1 and PS4 on HDMI 5.

I am running the latest VIzio Firmware 2.2.7.4(Thanks Matt McRae)

Thanks

·
Registered
888 Posts
Maybe this is a dumb question. How do you get multiple HDR sources to work with just the one HDR HDMI port(HDMI 1) on the M65?

I have the XBox One S and the PS4 now has HDR enabled.

I currently have the Xbox One S on HDMI 1 and PS4 on HDMI 5.

I am running the latest VIzio Firmware 2.2.7.4(Thanks Matt McRae)

Thanks
Audio/Video Receiver

Sent from my HTC 10

·
Registered
996 Posts
Yep, best way would be to get a current AVR - connect everything to the AVR via HDMI and then the AVR will have a single "HDMI-out" port that connects to the TV.

I *suppose* that you could also use some sort of HDMI switch that supports all of the "requirements" if you aren't looking to upgrade to a full AVR setup (which can be expensive!).

·
Registered
318 Posts
Thanks for the reply - I appreciate it. Since everything looks great head-on (and from less of an angle), I'm not going to exchange it - sounds like it's working "as designed". The banding issue just caught me off guard and is super annoying in certain cases (but pretty rare). Hopefully, I'll either get used to it over time or better yet, figure out a way to re-arrange my room to get me within the proper "angle" to greatly reduce (or eliminate) the banding issue.k
Your only other option is to exchange it for the 60" M series, which uses an IPS panel instead of the VA panel in your 70" (and all other sizes). VA panels have inherently worse off-axis performance, but better head-on contrast. IPS are better at an angle, but have slightly worse native contrast (which is probably mitigated by the FALD on these sets).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yep, best way would be to get a current AVR - connect everything to the AVR via HDMI and then the AVR will have a single "HDMI-out" port that connects to the TV.

I *suppose* that you could also use some sort of HDMI switch that supports all of the "requirements" if you aren't looking to upgrade to a full AVR setup (which can be expensive!).

I have a sound bar, previously had Receiver but the wires drove me nuts. Currently I route everything through the TV and then optical out to the sound bar.

I'll look into the HDMI switch option

·
Registered
996 Posts
Your only other option is to exchange it for the 60" M series, which uses an IPS panel instead of the VA panel in your 70" (and all other sizes). VA panels have inherently worse off-axis performance, but better head-on contrast. IPS are better at an angle, but have slightly worse native contrast (which is probably mitigated by the FALD on these sets).
Yeah, the problem is that I don't think I could do that without a 10% "restocking" fee. I purchased the unit directly from Vizio.com and didn't realize until after purchasing that they apply a 10% restocking fee for all returns. I'm assuming that switching models would actually be considered a return and re-purchase.

In hindsight, I should have just purchased from the local Best Buy or something (they also offer free shipping). Live and learn...

But really, I'd hate to return the TV - it's a fantastic TV for the price! I'll figure out some way to re-arrange my living room to make it work. :)

it's a shame that this vertical banding issue can't be solved on these TVs. While mine is OK head-on, I've been reading about a LOT of reports of this issue even while viewing head-on! In todays day and age, you'd think that would be able to come up with a solution to this problem. Originally, I was thinking about returning it and getting a P-Series instead, but the uniformity seems even worse on the P-series from what I've been reading!

·
Registered
996 Posts
I do have a feature request (if Vizio is watching!) - it sure would be nice to be able to adjust the "Low, Medium and High" backlight settings for the for the automatic brightness setting (which uses a ambient light sensor). I really like using that option or else the brightness is to dim during the day or too bright at night (when not using the auto brightness setting and setting the backlight level manually).

Unless there is already a way to do that and I just don't know it?

·
Registered
341 Posts
I do have a feature request (if Vizio is watching!) - it sure would be nice to be able to adjust the "Low, Medium and High" backlight settings for the for the automatic brightness setting (which uses a ambient light sensor). I really like using that option or else the brightness is to dim during the day or too bright at night (when not using the auto brightness setting and setting the backlight level manually).

Unless there is already a way to do that and I just don't know it?

I too would like this ability, I find the preset auto brightness settings they have are a little too dim, especially with gamma at 2.2 or 2.4. I think one issue with these sensors is that when the screen lights up the room at night it will make the tv think the room is brighter.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Yeah, I was wondering about that - but I'm assuming that there is enough of a delay built-in so that brief brightness changes (caused by the screen) don't affect the ambient light sensor.

Anyone know where the ambient light sensor is?

·
Registered
996 Posts
I always try to keep the box for certain things as well (such as big screen TVs). I just throw it in the basement. If you don't have a basement, throw it in the attic. If no attic, put it under a bed or something. :) You may not *expect* that you're going to move, but sometimes, it happens even though you don't expect it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Ok. XB1S is here and Angry Birds is the test subject. So far, so good. HDR is being recognized, color looks great and no blackouts so far. I'll post pics when I can.

Gears is still downloading and then I'll download Forza.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
198 Posts
Ok. XB1S is here and Angry Birds is the test subject. So far, so good. HDR is being recognized, color looks great and no blackouts so far. I'll post pics when I can.

Gears is still downloading and then I'll download Forza.

Spoke too soon. Just got a quick black out.

1881 - 1900 of 10315 Posts