AVS Forum banner

201 - 220 of 13610 Posts

·
Premium Member
87,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
On first page it says the 2017 models will have this as a new feature over 2016 models:

- 4K Signal Format (Standard (default)/Enhanced; Note: Enhanced setting must be used when passing 4K60,4:4:4, 10 bit video)

Does this mean the 2017 2400 model will have better quality HDR pass-through which enables GUI on HDR content?
Nope. Rather it simply means there should be fewer issues passing 4k video.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just picked up the S730 to replace my Onkyo NR636. While the 636 has 4k "pass thru" it doesn't have HDR pass thru, and I've always been kind of disappointed by the 636's sound stage.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've got my S730 up and running I think it calibrated much better and sounds better than my previous Onkyo with more fuller surround sound on various sources. I've got a set of inexpensive atmos speakers coming and since my rear speakers aren't exactly impressive I think the atmos speakers would be better than using the rear channel for the speakers I have now, and I already have some blu ray discs that support it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
OK thanks

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
I just bought and installed the 930H yesterday, upgrading from my Onkyo TX-NR646. Fixed a ton of problems, and I'm pretty happy with it so far. CEC is no longer randomly switching inputs, I can plug my Chromecast Ultra in and stream Dolby Vision & Atmos via VUDU (the CCU would not work through the Onkyo and had to be plugged into my TV, taking away Atmos due to ARC), the problems I was experiencing with the XBox One S UHD Blu Rays are gone, etc. Even the balancing is better, eliminating huge discrepancies in volume between my rears, heights and front.

·
Banned
4,945 Posts
" While Vtuner is not pretty, it gets the job done. "

That's the thing as I understand it VTuner was never meant to be pretty. It was meant to be the database for all the references for location on the web for internet radio stations. You point to VTuner and then VTuner points to the URL in its database for that station.

By design it relied on the playback device to do the heavy lifting for the GUI or "pretty" piece. VTuner stored the data. Your playback device took care of "pretty".

Which is how I'd describe the way it works on my 3808. The 3808 stores the location for the radio station like an FM Preset. Looks and feels just like if you were listening to the radio.

It also explains, as some have noted about VTuner, how you can easily add radio stations to VTuner simply by knowing the URL.

The maddening thing is the logic or memory storage capabilities is still in the latest Denon's. Not sure about the x.400's models that are coming out. The reason I know this to be the case is iRULE. It works to store internet radio presets. Which again it could not IF the memory locations were not in the Denon's FW to begin with. When iRULE doesn't work, then Denon removed the capability in the FW to do so. iRULE works. Its not my cup of tea as the learning curve vs usage is too steep. My wife uses Pandora mostly because its easy to use and get to desired stations.

But it does work which means whatever its communicating with in our Denon's software, those places exist in the software. There is place to store internet radio preset information and we could be maximizing our experience with VTuner.

Denon has removed the interface via the remote or via web setup to store the data is all. Where the data would be stored IF we could so so still lives on......

The old way with alpha for "Sets" and then numeric for "station" is still in the software. So the whole shift thing, A-G and then select number, 1-8, that I do on the 3808 to store an internet radio station is "in there somewhere". The way it is referenced has changed, something you can see in the iRULE setup. But the memory location is still present. I'm guessing iRULE simply uses the way its always been. Even when doing the Shift A and then Number 1 I bet that in the code was converted to some kind of offset/number. That number is the actual location where the preset is stored. Now its just that offset/number so it looks like its changed away from the A1. But in reality there was never an "A1/A2" to begin with. A1 became 0e18f78t3. A2 became 0e18f78t4, etc. Now iRULE just uses 0e18f78t3/0e18f78t4 directly to store what we want as presets. Probably not 100% correct but close enough so you get the point.........

iRULE is pretty cool. It does a lot because of Serial Command via IP thing. The guy behind it is incredibly helpful. Some of you who still have VTuner seem to be wanting to maximize your VTuner use and would like to have presets exist like they do on the older Denon's. Like it does on my 3808. For you folks iRULE is an option. You do have a way to get to where you want to go with VTuner. Just have to use a third party app.

I did talk to a Denon engineer and did a ticket about this whole thing asking for a method to use what is obviously still present in the software for Internet Radio Presets. He said he'd get back to me. He agreed with me there is a way to store the information. He knew iRULE worked for that reason. That was what a year ago when I first bought my x4200 at Fry's.......

For some reason Denon doesn't care about us having the ability to do something that we could do but the GUI doesn't allow us to. Hard to explain other than they are heading away from VTuner and don't care because of it. Who needs to store internet radio presets when its going away? Their decision also could be driven by all the other ways to stream stuff as well. IF I wanted to I could use my iPAD and either with Airplay or bluetooth stream VTuner directly to the X4200. Odd thinking but that's all I can fathom as to why.

VTuner really slick on my 3808. In fact listening to a Celtic Radio Station right now from the UK as the sun heats up the side walks here in Glendale, AZ. Another reason why I'm not tackling iRULE. I have my 3808 to use.

·
Banned
4,945 Posts
When it says doing away with web control what is that? Is that how we can use the rcvr's IP address, go directly to it for setup, config, etc.?

What was dropped from the 2016 models?

S730H/S930H/X1400H/X2400H/X3400H
- Web Control

·
Registered
28,457 Posts
" While Vtuner is not pretty, it gets the job done. "

That's the thing as I understand it VTuner was never meant to be pretty. It was meant to be the database for all the references for location on the web for internet radio stations. You point to VTuner and then VTuner points to the URL in its database for that station.

By design it relied on the playback device to do the heavy lifting for the GUI or "pretty" piece. VTuner stored the data. Your playback device took care of "pretty".

Which is how I'd describe the way it works on my 3808. The 3808 stores the location for the radio station like an FM Preset. Looks and feels just like if you were listening to the radio.

It also explains, as some have noted about VTuner, how you can easily add radio stations to VTuner simply by knowing the URL.

The maddening thing is the logic or memory storage capabilities is still in the latest Denon's. Not sure about the x.400's models that are coming out. The reason I know this to be the case is iRULE. It works to store internet radio presets. Which again it could not IF the memory locations were not in the Denon's FW to begin with. When iRULE doesn't work, then Denon removed the capability in the FW to do so. iRULE works. Its not my cup of tea as the learning curve vs usage is too steep. My wife uses Pandora mostly because its easy to use and get to desired stations.

But it does work which means whatever its communicating with in our Denon's software, those places exist in the software. There is place to store internet radio preset information and we could be maximizing our experience with VTuner.

Denon has removed the interface via the remote or via web setup to store the data is all. Where the data would be stored IF we could so so still lives on......

The old way with alpha for "Sets" and then numeric for "station" is still in the software. So the whole shift thing, A-G and then select number, 1-8, that I do on the 3808 to store an internet radio station is "in there somewhere". The way it is referenced has changed, something you can see in the iRULE setup. But the memory location is still present. I'm guessing iRULE simply uses the way its always been. Even when doing the Shift A and then Number 1 I bet that in the code was converted to some kind of offset/number. That number is the actual location where the preset is stored. Now its just that offset/number so it looks like its changed away from the A1. But in reality there was never an "A1/A2" to begin with. A1 became 0e18f78t3. A2 became 0e18f78t4, etc. Now iRULE just uses 0e18f78t3/0e18f78t4 directly to store what we want as presets. Probably not 100% correct but close enough so you get the point.........

iRULE is pretty cool. It does a lot because of Serial Command via IP thing. The guy behind it is incredibly helpful. Some of you who still have VTuner seem to be wanting to maximize your VTuner use and would like to have presets exist like they do on the older Denon's. Like it does on my 3808. For you folks iRULE is an option. You do have a way to get to where you want to go with VTuner. Just have to use a third party app.

I did talk to a Denon engineer and did a ticket about this whole thing asking for a method to use what is obviously still present in the software for Internet Radio Presets. He said he'd get back to me. He agreed with me there is a way to store the information. He knew iRULE worked for that reason. That was what a year ago when I first bought my x4200 at Fry's.......

For some reason Denon doesn't care about us having the ability to do something that we could do but the GUI doesn't allow us to. Hard to explain other than they are heading away from VTuner and don't care because of it. Who needs to store internet radio presets when its going away? Their decision also could be driven by all the other ways to stream stuff as well. IF I wanted to I could use my iPAD and either with Airplay or bluetooth stream VTuner directly to the X4200. Odd thinking but that's all I can fathom as to why.

VTuner really slick on my 3808. In fact listening to a Celtic Radio Station right now from the UK as the sun heats up the side walks here in Glendale, AZ. Another reason why I'm not tackling iRULE. I have my 3808 to use.
I recently purchased a 3808CI locally for a great price. Once I did a processor reset and calibrated everything I added some radio stations with VTuner. Nice that you do have presets but I haven't really used them much. I probably saves a dozen presets. On my 1613, x2300 and x3300 I can use the AVR app and easily select Favorites and then select the saved station. It's a piece of cake for me.

Unfortunately the 3808CI won't let you use a smartphone app. I only listen to a handful of stations so I've figured out how to navigate this thing pretty well now.

·
Premium Member
87,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #212
I recently purchased a 3808CI locally for a great price. Once I did a processor reset and calibrated everything I added some radio stations with VTuner. Nice that you do have presets but I haven't really used them much. I probably saves a dozen presets. On my 1613, x2300 and x3300 I can use the AVR app and easily select Favorites and then select the saved station. It's a piece of cake for me.

Unfortunately the 3808CI won't let you use a smartphone app. I only listen to a handful of stations so I've figured out how to navigate this thing pretty well now.

There were at least two Remote apps you could use with the 3808CI although the iOS app appears to no longer be available:

iOS - DenOnOff

Android - AVR Remote

·
Banned
4,945 Posts

Well that kinda sucks. I know for the x4400's up no word. On the x4200 I use the web interface a lot.

So going all in with mobile apps are they?

·
Registered
28,457 Posts
There were at least two Remote apps you could use with the 3808CI although the iOS app appears to no longer be available:

iOS - DenOnOff

Android - AVR Remote
I have the generic android AVR Remote app but it didn't find my 3808. Found my other Denon's though. I've gotten used to turning it on/off with the included 3808CI remote now so not a big deal. It's quicker too and I know how to navigate stations back and forth after some practice.

Thanks JD

·
Premium Member
87,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #216
I have the generic android AVR Remote app but it didn't find my 3808. Found my other Denon's though. I've gotten used to turning it on/off with the included 3808CI remote now so not a big deal. It's quicker too and I know how to navigate stations back and forth after some practice.

Thanks JD
The author indicates the app should work with the 3808. You installed the following AVR Remote app?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.pskiwi.avrremote&hl=en

·
Banned
4,945 Posts
You can access the 3808 via web/IP. Even on my iPAD. You don't need an app.

·
Registered
28,457 Posts
Yep, that's the one. Been using it for years with my AVR-1613. Even deleted and reinstalled after acquiring the 3808CI.

No big deal though. I"m good using the factory remote to navigate. Nice powerful receiver JD but suffers from bad ergonomics and user friendliness like the AVR-2807 and AVR-989 I've owned previously, but at least the 3808CI has networking and volume overlay. Great purchase for $150 in excellent condition.

Reactions: jsmiddleton4

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi guys, struggling to figure out which to buy: X1400H or the S930H.... I've read through the specs and can't see a lot of difference, other than an extra HDMI output for the S930H and that the X1400H is newer.

Any advice??
Thanks

·
Premium Member
87,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #220
Hi guys, struggling to figure out which to buy: X1400H or the S930H.... I've read through the specs and can't see a lot of difference, other than an extra HDMI output for the S930H and that the X1400H is newer.

Any advice??
Thanks
Both are 2017 models just recently released. Please review post 1 for the differences when upgrading to the X1400H.

201 - 220 of 13610 Posts