AVS Forum banner

2961 - 2980 of 13610 Posts

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Installed my AVR-X4400H This week. Wired for 7.2.2 initial impressions: sounds great from a variety of sources. Fire TV 4k content is great. Love, 4k upscaling. HD from Directv is great upscaled.

HEOS, not really a fan so far.
2016 app. not liking it very much. Moving all the streaming into the HEOS is a pain. HATE that you cant control the network function from the front panel the way you could with the X4000. moving between the AVR functions and the HEOS functions is kludgey at best.I suppose if I would have purchased at Best buy v online, I may have already taken it back because of the HEOS/App...

OTA via HDhomerun is good.( would live to get rid of Directv. Thinking a sling package, run through the fire TV, along with netflix, again run through fire TV (rat bastards charging 14.99 for 4k content)

Sony XBR75 900E
LCR - Golden Ear super sat60
all surrounds: Boston Acoustics Bravo 2
FH - Boston acoustic soundware mini
NHT SA3 sub amp. Episode ES-IW-dual 8
Polk Audio PSW 1225

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Installed my AVR-X4400H This week. Wired for 7.2.2 initial impressions: sounds great from a variety of sources. Fire TV 4k content is great. Love, 4k upscaling. HD from Directv is great upscaled.

HEOS, not really a fan so far.
2016 app. not liking it very much. Moving all the streaming into the HEOS is a pain. HATE that you cant control the network function from the front panel the way you could with the X4000. moving between the AVR functions and the HEOS functions is kludgey at best.I suppose if I would have purchased at Best buy v online, I may have already taken it back because of the HEOS/App...

OTA via HDhomerun is good.( would live to get rid of Directv. Thinking a sling package, run through the fire TV, along with netflix, again run through fire TV (rat bastards charging 14.99 for 4k content)

Sony XBR75 900E
LCR - Golden Ear super sat60
all surrounds: Boston Acoustics Bravo 2
FH - Boston acoustic soundware mini
NHT SA3 sub amp. Episode ES-IW-dual 8
Polk Audio PSW 1225
update: can't seem to hook up A +B fronts. pg 66 of the guide shows an 11 channel config but doesn't show which channels are using the pre outs.. couldn't find the appropriate option in the set up menu. Ended up using the front wides as the surrounds. rear surrounds as rear surrounds. the surrounds became the rear heights. using the pre -outs for the rear heights. multi-channel stereo sounds great! played a few movie scenes, great also, although not as loud as I expected( specter via amazon prime) set audessey w/ 3 positions.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi, first post since reregistering. I’m coming from a 4520 to a 4400h and I am fairly impressed by the new unit. I have a7.2 system right now, same setup I used with the 4520,and I prefer the sound of the 4400 over the 4520. I find myself using neuralX for most of my movie and tv watching.one difference is there is a lot more relay clicking during test tones and the test tones are very quiet although they are volume adjustable, will be adding some rear height speakers when they show up in the mail.

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
Hi, first post since reregistering. I’m coming from a 4520 to a 4400h and I am fairly impressed by the new unit. I have a7.2 system right now, same setup I used with the 4520,and I prefer the sound of the 4400 over the 4520. I find myself using neuralX for most of my movie and tv watching.one difference is there is a lot more relay clicking during test tones and the test tones are very quiet although they are volume adjustable, will be adding some rear height speakers when they show up in the mail.
If you're running the internal test tones manually then they aren't sent out at a specific level. You must do that manually. I just let Audyssey handle the speaker level settings during its initial setup then tweak things from there with my sub levels.

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
update: can't seem to hook up A +B fronts. pg 66 of the guide shows an 11 channel config but doesn't show which channels are using the pre outs.. couldn't find the appropriate option in the set up menu. Ended up using the front wides as the surrounds. rear surrounds as rear surrounds. the surrounds became the rear heights. using the pre -outs for the rear heights. multi-channel stereo sounds great! played a few movie scenes, great also, although not as loud as I expected( specter via amazon prime) set audessey w/ 3 positions.
I believe the front A+B speaker option is only allowed with a 7 channel main zone setup plus the front B speakers. That's the way it shows on my X4300H and I use front B speakers in my setup as well.

You should really use all 8 mic positions when setting up Audyssey not the 3 minimum allowed. The more data points the better the filters will be applied. I use a tight 8 point mic position as I only have one main listening spot so I only move the mic about 6 to 8 inches at most and I do the last 2 above the first 3 done at the center of where my head would be located.

·
Premium Member
87,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,966 (Edited)
first i bought Denon x6200h but got problem sorrount back left no sound look bad unit i send warranty
i already wait 3month they never repair look lazy so they give another unit Denon x6300h seen few people complaint x6300h got problem but i will not use once i received denon x6300h then i will sell it its brand new that i wanted sell it i get full money back i will saving money to buy denon i trying finding denon x7200w but they no longer product
i unable afford x8500h expensive so i missed model x7200w

so i think i have choose x6400h :(
any they new model for x6500h or new model coming for 2018 ????
Aside from the "flagship" model, all other models are released every year .. the lower models in the summer and the higher models in the fall, the X6500H in September.

·
Premium Member
87,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,967
HATE that you cant control the network function from the front panel the way you could with the X4000. moving between the AVR functions and the HEOS functions is kludgey at best.
Once the HEOS music service is streaming to the AVR, you can SAVE it to a HEOS Favorite and then select it from the AVR going forward.

The AMP ASSIGN = "7.1CH + Front B" doesn't use pre-outs as there are never more than 9 speakers playing at one time. Per the note at the top of p. 66 and below:

You can connect speakers for up to 9-channels for MAIN ZONE. When you connect speakers for 8 or more channels, the output speakers automatically switch according to the input signal and sound mode.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Forgive me upfront. Trying to learn from scratch as I know basically nothing. I am reading this thread but it’s so long it’ll take me forever and I’m also trying to learn my Denon x1400 and new 4K Tv all at the same time.

I just bought and whole new system including the SVS Prime Bookshelf, Prime Center and PB12-NSD Sub with a Denon X1400 and TCL 605.

Anywho, my question is, which port do I plug into on my brand new SVS PB12-NSD? The top left white or the bottom left red that’s LFE? What’s the difference and should I be doing something different?

And what should the dials be turned to for best experience?

Thanks for your time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
Forgive me upfront. Trying to learn from scratch as I know basically nothing. I am reading this thread but it’s so long it’ll take me forever and I’m also trying to learn my Denon x1400 and new 4K Tv all at the same time.

I just bought and whole new system including the SVS Prime Bookshelf, Prime Center and PB12-NSD Sub with a Denon X1400 and TCL 605.

Anywho, my question is, which port do I plug into on my brand new SVS PB12-NSD? The top left white or the bottom left red that’s LFE? What’s the difference and should I be doing something different?

And what should the dials be turned to for best experience?

Thanks for your time.

1) plug the RCA cable into the red LFE (right) input
2)Dials should be: phase=0, Crossover= disable, and gain/volume at the 12-o’clock position (middle). Then run the Audyssey speaker setup.

After that, you can drop the crossover if you wish, but it won’t likely do anything until you get below 120Hz as the sub LFE signal won’t usually contain frequencies higher than that. Volume/Gain is subjective, and you can raise or lower it from the middle position after the speaker test has run to suit your personal preference.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I'm investigating in order to properly choose the replacement for my Yamaha Aventage RX-A3010. Currently taking the X4400H in consideration and I first of all wanted to congratulate and thank jdsmoothie for the awesome work in the opening posts. What a masterpiece, man. :)

For now my question is this: I currently have the Yamaha in a 5.1 configuration with added front presence speakers (used by Yamaha's DSP programs). They are mounted really close to the ceiling (about 10 inches), facing straight front and wider than front left and right speakers. Would the X4440H be able to use this for Atmos or would I be forced to add Atmos enabled speakers to place on my front speakers (overhead ceiling speakers are out of the question for me). Would it be possible to add Atmos enabled speakers to my current configuration, would it make sense? It would end up with regular 5.1+front presence height speakers+Atmos enabled speakers mounted on front speakers.

I'd be inclined to think that it's either the front presence speakers or the Atmos enabled speakers but I'm not sure and maybe that configuration could be useful in some scenarios.

Main question remains: can I use front height/presence speakers for Atmos? The Yamaha current line allows this.

Edit: also, is a X4500H around the corner? Will it be released this fall (which might coincide with when I'll actually upgrade the whole setup to 4K/Atmos)? Any specific goodies we might expect from that?

·
Premium Member
87,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,973
I'm investigating in order to properly choose the replacement for my Yamaha Aventage RX-A3010. Currently taking the X4400H in consideration and I first of all wanted to congratulate and thank jdsmoothie for the awesome work in the opening posts. What a masterpiece, man. :)

For now my question is this: I currently have the Yamaha in a 5.1 configuration with added front presence speakers (used by Yamaha's DSP programs). They are mounted really close to the ceiling (about 10 inches), facing straight front and wider than front left and right speakers. Would the X4440H be able to use this for Atmos or would I be forced to add Atmos enabled speakers to place on my front speakers (overhead ceiling speakers are out of the question for me). Would it be possible to add Atmos enabled speakers to my current configuration, would it make sense? It would end up with regular 5.1+front presence height speakers+Atmos enabled speakers mounted on front speakers.

I'd be inclined to think that it's either the front presence speakers or the Atmos enabled speakers but I'm not sure and maybe that configuration could be useful in some scenarios.

Main question remains: can I use front height/presence speakers for Atmos? The Yamaha current line allows this.

Edit: also, is a X4500H around the corner? Will it be released this fall (which might coincide with when I'll actually upgrade the whole setup to 4K/Atmos)? Any specific goodies we might expect from that?
1. Ideally your Front Presence speakers should be angled down towards the main listening position.
2. Yes, your current Front Presence speakers can be designated as Front Height L/R speakers and are able to be used with all three audio codecs: Atmos, DTS:X, Auro 3D
3. The X4400H was just released in Sep 2017 so the X4500H should be released in Sep 2018.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
1. Ideally your Front Presence speakers should be angled down towards the main listening position.
I could somehow manage to angle them a little bit. But they sit on a bookshelf, so I would need to devise some way to avoid them falling off :)
2. Yes, your current Front Presence speakers can be designated as Front Height L/R speakers and are able to be used with all three audio codecs: Atmos, DTS:X, Auro 3D
Good!
3. The X4400H was just released in Sep 2017 so the X4500H should be released in Sep 2018.
Hmmm... ok. Good to know. Is it likely that the 4500 will be fully HDMI 2.1 compatible? I guess I'm not the only one fed up from having the "need" to often upgrade stuff that would work for years to come, only to chase feature after feature introduced in other components. I know I could avoid it and remain with what I have, it's just a shame that the amplifier section needs to be thrown away while it's still perfectly good. And pre-out + amp is such an expensive way to go that I'll never be able to afford it. As such, if waiting till this fall will allow me to have some more "peace of mind" for the future... maybe it could be worth it.

EDIT: Also, if anybody came to Denon from Yamaha, I'd be interested in their opinion, advice, etc.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I only move the mic about 6 to 8 inches at most
Given that the wavelength of middle "C" is about 4 feet, and considering that one reason for Audyssey is to compensate for response changes due to room reflections, I would not move the mike less than 2 feet (one-half wave).

·
Registered
9,471 Posts
Hey,

I recently upgraded from a Denon 1912 to S730H.

I was interested in HEOS. But, having used it a bit it just seems terrible.

I guess I can blame Microsoft for establishing the culture that it's ok for software not to actually work.

-Brian

·
Registered
9,846 Posts
Other way around ... the 2018 X8500H (Feb/March 2018 release) replaces the 2015 X7200W.
I've never purchased the flagship models of Denon's but usually the next lower end model. I wonder how Denon knows what to do with regard to hardware on these flagship models with the ever changing technology to make them last 3 years?

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
I've never purchased the flagship models of Denon's but usually the next lower end model. I wonder how Denon knows what to do with regard to hardware on these flagship models with the ever changing technology to make them last 3 years?
It would be nice if they would make their AVR’s modular. At least, for the top models like the 3400 on up. It would save a bit on the environment. You could just swap out boards, the pre and power amps could remain. You would just keep the chassis. Probably too much work for the manufacturer with less profit. For now, the workaround for the very top models to keep them going for 2-3 years longer is by offering to swap out a board. Normally, for a fee.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I cannot get my X6400h to show up in bluetooth on either my iphone or ipad. Worked like a champ in the beginning but now nothing. Any ideas how to reset it? I just moved it and rewired it but can't see how that matters. Antenna are both on and pointing up(ish) just like before. I also see it first say Heos Music before attempting the bluetooth connection. This seems different but maybe I didn't care because it just worked. Any ideas?

I have the denon app on my phone and can control it just fine with it.

EDIT: I did get it to work via airplay so not that concerned about bluetooth. Still seems odd that it won't work that way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a Denon 4520CI currently. Used for 5.2, with no ability to add atmos at this time - 18 foot ceilings. TV is not HD.

I can sell the Denon, and buy a new x1400h for the same price? Does this make sense?

Thanks for the advice.

2961 - 2980 of 13610 Posts