AVS Forum banner

3061 - 3080 of 13636 Posts

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Unlike Yamaha AVRs where you have anywhere from 19 to 24 different DSP modes (which many owners actually use), on Denon AVRs, I doubt anyone ever uses 3 or 4 available DSP modes (eg. Rock Arena, Jazz Club ...... I certainly never have), rather simply use either DD or DTS (or their respective Dolby Surround/DTS Neural:X simulators).
I have a Yamaha network stereo receiver, which I like very much, but have never owned any of their AVR's.

What is it about their DSP modes that makes them more attractive than those on the Denons (which, like you, I also abhor)?

·
Registered
342 Posts
New owner of a 3400W, just upgraded from a AVR991 (3311 without the preouts). Configured it and so far so good, but this receiver does have many more features which will take some time to learn.

I do have one question I hope someone can help with. I have a standard 5.1 setup, sources are HD Cablebox and a PS3, both connected HDMI. When watching a movie the receiver shows the source is Dolby Digital but the curround was set at Dolby Digital + Dolby Surround. I see I also have an option of Neural:X. Would these others be better at giving an more enveloping sound since I have standard 5.1 or should I stay Dolby Digital?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Video dropping with Denon X1400H

Hello everyone. Newbie AVR user here.

First of all, sorry if this issue has already been discussed/asked. I have read the introductory posts and I'm on page 30 of this thread, didn't have time yet to complete it! And by the way congratulations for all the detailed information given in this thread, I think it is very useful.

I recently moved to a new apartment and I mounted a projector as display (BENQ W1210ST, or BENQ HT2150ST in USA; by the way I'm located in Germany). As a receiver I bought a Denon AVR-X1400H (very basic I now, but enough for now) and I have connected to it several devices: Google Chromecast, PS4, TV receiver, Steam Link.

The problem that I'm experiencing is the following: at random times (it can be every 15 minutes or once in two hours) the screen goes to black and the projector shows the message "Signal search" as it the signal was lost. The signal is quickly recovered, so this only lasts for around 4-5 seconds. During this time sound is still playing from the speakers (connected to the Denon receiver). I think this problem has happened when I was using each of the devices connected to the AVR.

I'm aware that this type of configurations can be tricky, specially because of the HDCP handshake problems, so in order to simplify the troubleshooting I'm focusing on the scenario when I'm using the Google Chromecast to play videos from Netflix/Youtube, as a) this is currently the main usage of the AVR/projector b) the Chromecast is directly connected to the AVR, so no extra HDMI cable to care about in this case, only the one to the projector.

Things I have tried that didn't solve the problem:
  • Updated AVR firmware to latest issue (no new firmware available for the projector)
  • Disabled "input search" from the projector (as the projector has 2 HDMI inputs)
  • Changing the previous HDMI cable from the receiver to the projector that was 15 meters long for a shorter one of 10 meters
  • Changing the connections to different HDMI input ports on the AVR
  • Changing the HDMI connection to the second HDMI input port on the projector
  • Disabled HDMI Control and ARC on the AVR
  • Disabled CEC and HDMI Power On/Off Link on the projector
  • Microprocessor reset on the AVR
  • Follow the "HDMI HDCP reset" instructions from the first page of this thread.
Things I have tried that "solved" the problem:
  • Connected the projector to the PS4 directly to watch a movie, and play some games, the issue didn't happen.
The thing is that after so many changes it seems that the problem is not reproducing currently as often as at the beginning, but it is still displaying (and the wife gets mad every time it happens :D). I'm aware that one big suspect is the HDMI cable to the projector, but I'm not sure how can I check if this is indeed the problem, and also how to know if a different cable will be better (no access to those Monoprice nice cables here)

Any help or suggestion is greatly appreciated!! Sorry for the long post :p

·
Registered
435 Posts
i got someone will buy my denon x6300h i hope i get sold out soon
seen x6500h need wait 9month crazy long time
i unable long to wait
so i plan buying X6400H any problem ? any complaint someone using x6400h

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have an S920. Since last update I have a weird problem. When using Pandora, if I wake up my Android phone, the sound gets static for a few seconds and I lose the tv picture of the Denon Pandora screen. I've tried everything. Switching from Ethernet to wifi, switch routers even. Only thing that stops it is to turn off wifi on my phone. Any ideas?

·
Registered
176 Posts
That is strange. Don't think it's Direct mode that's the culprit though. It just bypasses any subwoofer and runs the mains full range. The other makes have this same setting and have for years. Did you have the sub powered down for several minutes before hooking it's RCA cable to the new receiver? The capacitors in the sub amps hold a pretty good charge even when powered down until they dissipate and it's recommended to wait several minutes before reconnecting the cable to the sub pre out on the new receiver. Not saying it's common for something to happen but there are posts here on AVS from members who have had their sub amps damaged in this manner plus a certain well known engineer here on AVS has talked about this before with regards to the charge a subwoofer amp holds. Hopefully it's not related to this and just some type of interference though like you said. Let us know how it goes with troubleshooting that noise.
I thought I had the sub off for awhile when I hooked it up, but I'm not sure. I didn't know that was a good thing to do, it's just something I do in general anyway. It's a Velodyne VA1012X11 that I've had since 1999. Really the only troubleshooting I've done is plugging it into different outlets etc. I actually had some indication at one point that it was my new TV (LG 65B7A) that was interfering and not an issue with the Denon, because I swear the sound stopped once or twice when I turned off the TV but still had the AVR on. So, need to do more troubleshooting, but I do think the poor thing is toast. It used to not make the sound until it was engaged for awhile, but now it does it pretty quickly.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
I thought I had the sub off for awhile when I hooked it up, but I'm not sure. I didn't know that was a good thing to do, it's just something I do in general anyway. It's a Velodyne VA1012X11 that I've had since 1999. Really the only troubleshooting I've done is plugging it into different outlets etc. I actually had some indication at one point that it was my new TV (LG 65B7A) that was interfering and not an issue with the Denon, because I swear the sound stopped once or twice when I turned off the TV but still had the AVR on. So, need to do more troubleshooting, but I do think the poor thing is toast. It used to not make the sound until it was engaged for awhile, but now it does it pretty quickly.
I did the same thing with my sub's before finding out about that as well. That sucks if it's going out but that's also a good reason to get a subwoofer upgrade.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone,

I am enjoying my X4400H so far. But I got a problem with turntable. I have Sony PS-LX300 turntable with Line and Phono output. When I connect Phono output to Phono input on X4400H only thing I hear is humming and noise. I checked the cable with my old Onkyo AVR and it works. I connected Line output to CD input on X4400H and nothing plays. And of course I tested line output with Onkyo and computer and it works.

Any thoughts about why Phono input humms?

·
Premium Member
88,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,072
I have an S920. Since last update I have a weird problem. When using Pandora, if I wake up my Android phone, the sound gets static for a few seconds and I lose the tv picture of the Denon Pandora screen. I've tried everything. Switching from Ethernet to wifi, switch routers even. Only thing that stops it is to turn off wifi on my phone. Any ideas?
Oops! Wrong thread. Please repost in the 2016 Denon AVR Owner's thread.

·
Premium Member
88,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,073
Hello everyone. Newbie AVR user here.

First of all, sorry if this issue has already been discussed/asked. I have read the introductory posts and I'm on page 30 of this thread, didn't have time yet to complete it! And by the way congratulations for all the detailed information given in this thread, I think it is very useful.

I recently moved to a new apartment and I mounted a projector as display (BENQ W1210ST, or BENQ HT2150ST in USA; by the way I'm located in Germany). As a receiver I bought a Denon AVR-X1400H (very basic I now, but enough for now) and I have connected to it several devices: Google Chromecast, PS4, TV receiver, Steam Link.

The problem that I'm experiencing is the following: at random times (it can be every 15 minutes or once in two hours) the screen goes to black and the projector shows the message "Signal search" as it the signal was lost. The signal is quickly recovered, so this only lasts for around 4-5 seconds. During this time sound is still playing from the speakers (connected to the Denon receiver). I think this problem has happened when I was using each of the devices connected to the AVR.

I'm aware that this type of configurations can be tricky, specially because of the HDCP handshake problems, so in order to simplify the troubleshooting I'm focusing on the scenario when I'm using the Google Chromecast to play videos from Netflix/Youtube, as a) this is currently the main usage of the AVR/projector b) the Chromecast is directly connected to the AVR, so no extra HDMI cable to care about in this case, only the one to the projector.

Things I have tried that didn't solve the problem:
  • Updated AVR firmware to latest issue (no new firmware available for the projector)
  • Disabled "input search" from the projector (as the projector has 2 HDMI inputs)
  • Changing the previous HDMI cable from the receiver to the projector that was 15 meters long for a shorter one of 10 meters
  • Changing the connections to different HDMI input ports on the AVR
  • Changing the HDMI connection to the second HDMI input port on the projector
  • Disabled HDMI Control and ARC on the AVR
  • Disabled CEC and HDMI Power On/Off Link on the projector
  • Microprocessor reset on the AVR
  • Follow the "HDMI HDCP reset" instructions from the first page of this thread.
Things I have tried that "solved" the problem:
  • Connected the projector to the PS4 directly to watch a movie, and play some games, the issue didn't happen.
The thing is that after so many changes it seems that the problem is not reproducing currently as often as at the beginning, but it is still displaying (and the wife gets mad every time it happens :D). I'm aware that one big suspect is the HDMI cable to the projector, but I'm not sure how can I check if this is indeed the problem, and also how to know if a different cable will be better (no access to those Monoprice nice cables here)

Any help or suggestion is greatly appreciated!! Sorry for the long post :p
You likely need a better quality 4k/HDCP 2.2/18gpbs HDMI cable for that length.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005OYT2D8?aaxitk=pXoLbA5Fb8cvDPA9JH5z0A&pd_rd_i=B005OYT2D8&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=3365067662&pd_rd_wg=fwt0O&pf_rd_r=TPW5EYD6RBXM2GGGNT1C&pf_rd_s=desktop-sx-top-slot&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_w=jU2h2&pf_rd_i=optical+hdmi&pd_rd_r=a724ff3a-f796-4146-9298-a4b3a4351060&hsa_cr_id=4456209530701

·
Premium Member
88,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,074
New owner of a 3400W, just upgraded from a AVR991 (3311 without the preouts). Configured it and so far so good, but this receiver does have many more features which will take some time to learn.

I do have one question I hope someone can help with. I have a standard 5.1 setup, sources are HD Cablebox and a PS3, both connected HDMI. When watching a movie the receiver shows the source is Dolby Digital but the curround was set at Dolby Digital + Dolby Surround. I see I also have an option of Neural:X. Would these others be better at giving an more enveloping sound since I have standard 5.1 or should I stay Dolby Digital?

Thanks!
Nope. With only a 5.1 setup, the simulators (ie. Dolby Surround/Neural:X) aren't doing anything with a 5.1 source signal.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Another Zone 2 Question

1. Correct.
2. Yup. Press the "Zone 2" button and then the "Power" button. If the main zone is already powered on, press the "Main" button and "Power" button to power it off.
3. Yup. All networking 2017 models feature a built-in HEOS module. Yup.
4. Yup. That's the whole point of Zone 2 .... you can play a different source than is playing in the main zone.
JDsmoothie, I need your expert advice. You said "Only the "X" series models support a Front B setup, able to do A, B, or A+B." I am trying to figure out what the 2400 can do in this regard that the 930 cannot do. I know Crutchfield isn't always right, but they tell me the 930 can do zone 1, zone 2 or zone 1 & 2. If it helps, this is what I am trying to accomplish. I want to be able to (1) stream music to a pair of outdoor speakers wired to my receiver and sometimes listen to just those speakers without using my 5.1 indoor speakers; (2) sometimes play a different source on my 5.1 while listening to music on my zone 2 outdoor speakers; and (3) stream the same music through all 7 speakers (zone 1 and zone 2). Can I do this with the 930 or only the 2400? Many thanks.

·
Registered
835 Posts
My Denon AVR X2400 does not output audio on all speakers including subwoofer on all sources. Tried the power channel preset - + factory settings restart and it did not resolve the issue. The display also shows Stereo for the decoding and when try to switch it won't show Dolby Digital only Dolby Surround. When I press info on the remote for audio input it shows unknown. Since I purchased the receiver back in September 2017 I will be bringing it in to the service center in Huntington Beach, CA. I also tried unplugging the receiver for 1 hour. Also tried holding the power button down until it said restart.

·
Premium Member
88,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,077
My Denon AVR X2400 does not output audio on all speakers including subwoofer on all sources. Tried the power channel preset - + factory settings restart and it did not resolve the issue. The display also shows Stereo for the decoding and when try to switch it won't show Dolby Digital only Dolby Surround. When I press info on the remote for audio input it shows unknown. Since I purchased the receiver back in September 2017 I will be bringing it in to the service center in Huntington Beach, CA. I also tried unplugging the receiver for 1 hour. Also tried holding the power button down until it said restart.
To select a surround mode, press the MOVIE button.

·
Premium Member
88,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,078
JDsmoothie, I need your expert advice. You said "Only the "X" series models support a Front B setup, able to do A, B, or A+B." I am trying to figure out what the 2400 can do in this regard that the 930 cannot do. I know Crutchfield isn't always right, but they tell me the 930 can do zone 1, zone 2 or zone 1 & 2. If it helps, this is what I am trying to accomplish. I want to be able to (1) stream music to a pair of outdoor speakers wired to my receiver and sometimes listen to just those speakers without using my 5.1 indoor speakers; (2) sometimes play a different source on my 5.1 while listening to music on my zone 2 outdoor speakers; and (3) stream the same music through all 7 speakers (zone 1 and zone 2). Can I do this with the 930 or only the 2400? Many thanks.
First understand that the terms A, B, A+B do not refer to Zones 1/2, rather they refer to two sets of FL/FR speakers in the main zone, generally one set is used for movies/TV and a second dedicated set is used only for stereo music listening. The S930H does not support a Front B setup.

The S930H is able to support a "powered" Zone 2 with no more than a "powered" 5.1 setup in the main zone. The X2400H can do this as well; however, because it also features Zone 2 pre-outs, you could connect 2 more speakers for a 7.1 or Atmos 5.1.2 setup in the main zone and then connect a 2CH amp (or old AVR) to the Zone 2 pre-outs and power Zone 2 speakers.

You can accomplish your 5.1 use case with either model as you only have a 5.1 setup in the main zone; however, with the S930H you would never be able to do an Atmos setup along with a Zone 2 setup.

·
Registered
835 Posts
To select a surround mode, press the MOVIE button.
There is no sound coming out any of the speakers and subwoofer. The receiver is not receiving audio from all HDMI inputs only video. Pressing Movie displays Stereo, Dolby Surround and a couple other options but not Atmos, Dolby D, DTS HD. Also when going through initial setup as soon as it tests the left speaker there is no sound and can't select any options. There is even no sound when selecting the Tuner.

·
Premium Member
88,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,080
There is no sound coming out any of the speakers and subwoofer. The receiver is not receiving audio from all HDMI inputs only video. Pressing Movie displays Stereo, Dolby Surround and a couple other options but not Atmos, Dolby D, DTS HD. Also when going through initial setup as soon as it tests the left speaker there is no sound and can't select any options. There is even no sound when selecting the Tuner.
How many speakers are in your setup? What is AMP ASSIGN set to? If you don't have a 7.1 or 5.1.2 setup, you won't see "Atmos".

Try doing about 10 microprocessor resets in a row instead of just one. If still no joy, then warranty repair is the next option.

3061 - 3080 of 13636 Posts