AVS Forum banner

3281 - 3300 of 13636 Posts

·
Premium Member
88,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,281
Hi all,

Some questions with a X4400h:

1) Audessy sets my L/R as Large; they are full range Gold 300s. Better to switch front mains to small w/ a 80hz crossover? Center is set as small.

2) With dynamic eq on, it seems like all the surrounds (7.2.4 setup) are boosted. With it off, it seems the focus is on the front stage. Is that how Dynamic EQ is supposed to sound like?

3) Does anyone use their x4400h with a Oppo? If so, better to have the Oppo upscale than the Denon, i.e., all video processing off?
1. If there is a more capable dedicated sub in the setup, then yes, SMALL/80Hz.
2. Dynamic EQ boosts the bass and surround audio at lower volume levels, yes.
3. Regardless of the source, in most cases, better to turn AVR processing off and let the TV doing the video upscaling.

·
Registered
214 Posts
1. If there is a more capable dedicated sub in the setup, then yes, SMALL/80Hz.
2. Dynamic EQ boosts the bass and surround audio at lower volume levels, yes.
3. Regardless of the source, in most cases, better to turn AVR processing off and let the TV doing the video upscaling.
1) Thanks! Will switch to small
2) Ah, that makes sense; I was listening at lower volumes, and the surrounds were definitely higher than the center. So if I am listening at normal levels, would the bass/surround audio get even louder as I turn it up, or would they be compensated?
3) thanks! Will turn off all the AVR processing

·
Premium Member
88,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,283
1) Thanks! Will switch to small
2) Ah, that makes sense; I was listening at lower volumes, and the surrounds were definitely higher than the center. So if I am listening at normal levels, would the bass/surround audio get even louder as I turn it up, or would they be compensated?
3) thanks! Will turn off all the AVR processing
2. The bass/surround boost diminishes as the master volume gets louder to no boost at all at 80/0db.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Relates to audio processing delay times. Set to "ByPass" if available (X2400H and lower models only).

To minimize video processing, set the setting (if available) to OFF and to further reduce processing set the (if available) to OFF as well (although will lose GUI overlay on 1080p video).
Thanks for the response.
So this video setting has no effect on the video output at all, but rather effects the audio quality between Movie and Game modes? I forgot to mention that I have the X3400H.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My side surrounds are BIC PL-66 wide dispersion monopoles with a passive radiator and they are pretty big and heavy(I had to mount them using drywall anchors and aluminum French cleats and my receiver set them at 60HZ placed close to 2 boundary walls. Point being getting a crossover setting under 100HZ for most effects speakers placed in open space is unusual and I've never gotten one set this low before these BIC's went up. You might rerun Audyssey with a tighter mic grouping and see if things change. Recommended is 2 feet spacing of the audio mic but many tighten that up to a foot or a bit less. Worth a shot and you can always save your previous settings on a USB or just rerun it with the wider spacing again. I use an On Stage boom mic stand with a camera adapter to take my mic measurements instead of the included rocket ship cardboard stand Denon provides.

You can absolutely lower them to your liking and some lowering outside of Audyssey's correction won't hurt but a whole octave is hard to say. Try it and see how things sound. DEQ should also boost your surrounds as well below reference.
Let me clear up something: do I need to watch mic spacing and position it at exactly the same distance every time I move it, or let's say +/-6" wont make any difference? The on screen manual stated "no more than 2 ft apart", so I moved my tripod about a foot and a half, but I never measured the exactly 1 1/2 ft from the previous location.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Let me clear up something: do I need to watch mic spacing and position it at exactly the same distance every time I move it, or let's say +/-6" wont make any difference? The on screen manual stated "no more than 2 ft apart", so I moved my tripod about a foot and a half, but I never measured the exactly 1 1/2 ft from the previous location.
No it doesn't have to be exact. I just eyeball the moves myself and when I did a tighter grouping I move the last 2 measurements vertically from the first 3 at the middle of where your head would be but I'm closer to a back wall in my setup. You want to try to stay about 20 inches or so away from any hard boundary or throw a soft blanket over it if it's a high seat back.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Hello all. I am an old school Denon guy. I had Denon AVR in high school(1997) and continued to use them into adulthood. I am wanting to go with them again for my next purchase.

My last AVR I got a great deal on a Pioneer Elite. I felt the Elite was great and the number one thing that I loved is how ice cold it runs.

I do understand that Denon run 'hot' but is it still a concern as it used to be? I currently have a cabinet that is pretty restricted(no open back, and only maybe 3" of air around the AVR.

I have an opportunity to get a 4400H at a steal and just want to make sure I am not missing anything.

My main goal is to get an AVR to run HDR, 4K to my TV. I will power my atmos speakers and rears with the Denon. 5.2.4 is how I will have it setup. I will be using an external amp for L/R/C speakers.

What am I going to be missing from the better models for this setup?

Anything worth mentioning?

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Same here except I still use Dynamic Volume Medium with DEQ at its default for movies. DEQ RLO 15dB for music and Restorer set to high for streaming.
Forgot one thing. No matter what I try, no matter what I switch On or OFF, I still have a feeling that most dialogs sound a bit muddy and dull compared to the Pioneer I had before. Is there any setting that would improve the clarity and add some brightness to the dialog? Raising the center channel level makes no difference, increasing the dialog level helps just a bit, but not enough imo.
On top of that different movies are mixed with different things in mind and some sounds clearer and more defined that others, what can be done besides switching audio codecs?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've had an X4400 for a few weeks now, as an upgrade over an X3300 to get to four ATMOS height speakers (7.2.4). My older AVR-2310C never got much more than warm, but the X4400 in my experience runs too hot, even in a rack with an open front and back, with 4" of space above. The first clue was being able to smell the hot amp after only 10-15 minutes of use. This does not bode well for longevity, so I ended up ordering an AC Infinity S10 unit which dramatically drops chassis temps.

Just wondering if folks are noticing this or not? Has anyone had heat related failures? Reading through this thread, it looks like folks have definitely run into thermal shut down issues in closed cabinets with various amps...I'd guess the X4400 would be cooking very quickly in a closed cabinet...
I'm on my first Denon and immediately noticed that my x2400h is running much hotter than my old Pioneer. Just after 10-15 min. running at low to mid volume the Denon is getting hotter than the Pioneer after running for hours at mid to high volume. I always keep the cabinet door open and there is 8" of space above and 6" behind of the Denon and it still getting hotter than I was expecting.

·
Registered
137 Posts
This is usually indicative of defective HDMI cables. Replace with "Premium" certified 4k/18gbps cables (eg. Monoprice or Blue Jeans Cables).

https://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/premiumcable/faq.aspx

Cables are brand new certified premium - https://www.mediabridgeproducts.com/product/ultra-series-hdmi-cable-3-feet/

Sounds like maybe the TV is the problem? New AVR, new cables. :confused:
TV is fine.......thankfully...........LOL

I did some more research online about this, and the DirecTV box seems to be causing an issue with ARC. It doesn't use the ARC function, but it uses the ARC pin in the HDMI for another purpose. That is causing people issues with their systems.
Sure enough, I just unplugged my DirecTV hdmi from my receiver and the Denon onscreen colors went back to normal. I plugged it back in and the colors went back to abnormal.

This seems to be the fix people are using with success - https://www.lindy.com.au/hdmi-non-cec-female-male-adapter
Anyone have any experience with it?
I'm going to give one a try and see if it works, it's better than mangling a new hdmi cable to bend pin 13.....and screw up the cable completely.

Steve

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Forgot one thing. No matter what I try, no matter what I switch On or OFF, I still have a feeling that most dialogs sound a bit muddy and dull compared to the Pioneer I had before. Is there any setting that would improve the clarity and add some brightness to the dialog? Raising the center channel level makes no difference, increasing the dialog level helps just a bit, but not enough imo.
If you're already using Dynamic Volume and things sounded better before with the Pioneer the only other thing would be rerunning Audyssey again and seeing if that changes things for the better. Other than that and moving the speaker slightly or at an angle to point the tweeter to your head more there's not much else I can think of.

On top of that different movies are mixed with different things in mind and some sounds clearer and more defined that others, what can be done besides switching audio codecs?
This is the biggest thing I think. Source issues are the most common. Switching codecs is all that you can really do. I go between DSU and Neural X all the time. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I'm on my first Denon and immediately noticed that my x2400h is running much hotter than my old Pioneer. Just after 10-15 min. running at low to mid volume the Denon is getting hotter than the Pioneer after running for hours at mid to high volume. I always keep the cabinet door open and there is 8" of space above and 6" behind of the Denon and it still getting hotter than I was expecting.
Hmm it seems I was right about running hot.

:(

·
Registered
69 Posts
Is removing the Denon's metal cabinet a reasonable compromise as opposed to adding a fan? It seems that should assist with heat dissipation.
Well, at least in theory it should. It won't be safe though.
If you look through the vents you'll see that the output board has its own heat sink and mounted vertically, so it cools down pretty well, but the HDMI board is mounted horizontally and blocks the hot air from the power supply. Both HDMI out ports and their chips are right above the power supply, maybe it's perfectly safe and very well calculated location, but imo it's not. If they would shorten the board the hot air from the power supply would rise straight up without "cooking" the HDMI board.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Playing AVR-X inputs over HEOS:

I've made quite a few searches and can't find how to make something simple, like make whatever is playing on my speakers to also play on my HEOS speaker. I saw the caveat that it must be an analog connection, so I ran an RCA connection form my cable to my receiver. In case there is some problem with that, I have done most of my testing from my old CD player which is RCA only.

I can get an input to my HEOS 7 speaker to play over my AVR-X2400H, but not vise versa. In my HEOS app, I can not see any way to select anything on the AVR other than the streaming apps or the NAS, which all work great and allow me to group the speakers.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
539 Posts
If you look through the vents you'll see that the output board has its own heat sink and mounted vertically, so it cools down pretty well, but the HDMI board is mounted horizontally and blocks the hot air from the power supply. Both HDMI out ports and their chips are right above the power supply, maybe it's perfectly safe and very well calculated location, but imo it's not. If they would shorten the board the hot air from the power supply would rise straight up without "cooking" the HDMI board.
The two biggest enemies of anything electronic are heat and dust. Take off the cover and you'll still have much of the heat a much less dust protection. Buy a fan.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Need some help: AVR-x4400 and POA-5200. I can't seem to get the trigger on the 4400 to turn on the 5200. Using a single pole 3.5 plug at the 4400. using a 5.5mm ( think it is 5.5mm. it fits) power plug at the 5200.

any thoughts?

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
They say class D power supplies that Pioneer is using are more efficient and produce less heat.
But their not as good at driving low Ohm speakers so it's a tradeoff.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Yeah but before you leave an enclosure permanently off I'd pick up some small heat sinks on Ebay and thermal paste them to each HDMI chip. Both will technically void your warranty but I like that idea better.

3281 - 3300 of 13636 Posts